PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update

Chark
08-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Hi HEXers! It's Friday... and you know what that means! Friday Update hot off the presses from Cory Jones.

https://hextcg.com/friday-update/

hex_colin
08-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Cory made me cry @ GenCon. True story...

Vengus
08-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Please help make the new player experience a bit better by offering a hand to the new HEX players. The player you help today may be the player that buys your Legendary in the AH for 3000 platinum tomorrow.
Tricking newbies into buying our Comet Strikes for 3000 platinum doesn't exactly sound helpful to me. :p

bootlace
08-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Thats alot of beta invites! Looks like September is shaping up to be a huge month for Hex, hope it all goes smoothly.

Ps:Sorry Cory not buying your Induction Coil hype - werent you the one saying Reversion was awesome in draft xD

dogmod
08-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Thats alot of beta invites! Looks like September is shaping up to be a huge month for Hex, hope it all goes smoothly.

Ps:Sorry Cory not buying your Induction Coil hype - werent you the one saying Reversion was awesome in draft xD

Lol.. reversion IS awesome in draft.

Chiany
08-29-2014, 08:18 PM
A few questions after this update:

- Will the delay of set 2 mean that the first large chunk of PVE will be pushed back as well? Or will it now release almost at the same time, because it's being developed by a different team and was supposed to be released shortly after set 2?

- Will the Open Beta include at least some PVE? I think it's very important that the Open Beta shows the players (especially the new ones), but also all the media that might go and check it out, see all the aspects of the final game in there, however small.

- Hopefully you have found/find a way to release the sell of the posters at a time so all interested players can get one, and aren't be screwed over by timezones.

But very excited about this weeks update, congratulations to Colin to become the first Exalted, no one deserves it more.
And great news on the CM, hope this one last longer then Shaggy did ;)

rstrbn
08-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Cory made me cry @ GenCon. True story...

Thanks Colin for all you've done, you deserved it :)

OutlandishMatt
08-29-2014, 10:45 PM

Boltpaw Wizard is a first pick. That card will win you games.

hammer
08-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Firstly congratulations Colin. I have also been a recipient of his generosity. His passion and hunger for hex is amazing and it is nice to see him recognized in this way.
Second ! thanks to Cory for one of the better updates in recent times and ya for posters via amazon :D

Frost3
08-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Congratulations Collin. =)

cshorty
08-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one who is thinking Warmaster Fuzzuke is to Powerfull, especially in draft (poor Palamedis)?
Grz to Colin!

Patrigan
08-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Gratz Colin, well deserved.

Vorsa
08-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Congratulations, Colin! :cool:

And yay Amazon'ing!

Fuzzuko is exciting - I don't see Palamedes getting buffed though, as while he is quite inferior costing 1 less charge & requiring 1 less threshold means he is most the way to balanced.

Edswor
08-30-2014, 12:40 AM
Congratulations, Colin! As previous posters said, you deserved it (and much more) for how much you do for the community ;)

Also, the new hero is awesome (and the art as well, seems like he is standing in the arena (hint)).

Deckofmanythings
08-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Set 2 is not coming out in August.

Open Beta is coming before Set 2.

Open Beta won't start until all the Closed Beta invites are sent out.

~80,000 more Closed Beta invites to be sent out "over the next couple weeks"

I think I am reading this correctly, this means that Set 2 is most likely end of September/early October.

Which puts PVE Arena at October/November time frame.

a-V-e-n
08-30-2014, 05:08 AM
One thing I'm wondering and worried about:

If the reason for delay is the fact the last 10% most complicated/innovative cards aren't yet coded into the game then what about proper playtesting of Set2 for Constructed balance and bug catching?

How long playtesting period of a set should take? We know Set1 was tested by all the alpha players for over half a year and many cards got changed over that time for balance reasons. We also know that even today there still are a bunch of bugs with Set1 cards. While most Set2 cards probably have already been playtested for draft/sealed formats balance, it's the Constructed testing that really requires full set to be in before it can begin.

The_Lannisters
08-30-2014, 06:25 AM
Loving Fuzzuko's art. I really hope set 2 comes out before September ends.

To the people asking for some PVE to be released in conjunction with open beta. Do you prefer that they show some botch job arena/dungeon for the world to see? I'd rather they wait till something really good is ready. I'm still on the verge about being convinced that playing cards against the AI will be a ton of fun. Any unfinished release could be pretty mediocre.

ossuary
08-30-2014, 07:26 AM
Set 2 is not coming out in August.

Open Beta is coming before Set 2.

Open Beta won't start until all the Closed Beta invites are sent out.

~80,000 more Closed Beta invites to be sent out "over the next couple weeks"

I think I am reading this correctly, this means that Set 2 is most likely end of September/early October.

Which puts PVE Arena at October/November time frame.

He didn't actually say all those who signed up for closed beta would get an invite before we go to open beta. He said he wanted at least SOME of them to get in early, for having signed up. There's no reason to wait to get all 100,000 of them in early, spread out over several weeks. He can just let in one or two batches, make sure things are still stable, then go ahead and let all of them in for open beta.

Not every person who signs up for a closed beta actually gets in. That's pretty standard.

incitfulmonk21
08-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Congrats Colin. You have done a lot to help shape this community into what it is and have probably done as much as most CZE employees to help make this game as amazing as we all know it will be. (Love/Hate your cryptic hints ;).)

rjselzler
08-30-2014, 12:48 PM
He didn't actually say all those who signed up for closed beta would get an invite before we go to open beta. He said he wanted at least SOME of them to get in early, for having signed up. There's no reason to wait to get all 100,000 of them in early, spread out over several weeks. He can just let in one or two batches, make sure things are still stable, then go ahead and let all of them in for open beta.

Not every person who signs up for a closed beta actually gets in. That's pretty standard.

And there's no reason they can't just drop all of the rest as a mass email the week before open beta. I don't see the number of closed beta registrations as having any impact on open beta time frame.

BenStoll
08-30-2014, 01:14 PM
One thing I'm wondering and worried about:

If the reason for delay is the fact the last 10% most complicated/innovative cards aren't yet coded into the game then what about proper playtesting of Set2 for Constructed balance and bug catching?

How long playtesting period of a set should take? We know Set1 was tested by all the alpha players for over half a year and many cards got changed over that time for balance reasons. We also know that even today there still are a bunch of bugs with Set1 cards. While most Set2 cards probably have already been playtested for draft/sealed formats balance, it's the Constructed testing that really requires full set to be in before it can begin.

Hey this is a great point to bring up, very astute of you, and so I wanted to respond from the inside!

First off, the estimate of 10% is a touch higher than what R&D ended up actually needing to change. But more importantly, we are aware that these more "last minute" changes allow us less time to play test, which we address in a number of ways:

-First of all, when the call for redesigns comes in at this stage in the game, I grab every R&D body who can afford to drop what they're doing so we can address the issue right away, as it is a time-sensitive thing outside of our normal allotment of development time.

-As you were mentioning draft vs. constructed--As these cards tend to be higher rarity cards, draft is less effected than constructed, so fortunately our draft format does not need to be revetted in the same way.

-We make it a point to discern which new designs are "safe," and can be mostly eyeballed or theory crafted about with the team, so that we can focus our attention on the cards that are more likely to affect the format or have an impactful power level. For example, not to knock it, but you can imagine that a high cost and narrow effect card like Tectonic Break going in to the set at the last minute isn't going to require as much testing from us.

-With cards that need more testing, we'll have several devs build optimized decks with those cards and run them through "the gauntlet" of the major power players in that constructed format, to make sure we're ok with how these new cards might be impacting the metagame. The nice part is, since the rest of our constructed format has been pretty heavily understood by this point, the new cards are put into a more streamlined and understood testing environment.

-Finally, if there is still a card or two that we really aren't sure about or simply don't feel like we were able to draw appropriate conclusions from testing on, we would always err on the side of caution with power level, rather than potentially release a mistake into our metagame.

R&D has a pretty good vocabulary for discussing what types of things make a potential last minute card more dangerous than another, beyond raw power level. A card that is going to invalidate some of our most fun decks, or has an extremely negative play experience, or a very extreme play experience, is not likely to be allowed to make it in with our "fingers crossed." We take that part very seriously.

As far as the time taken on Set 1, Set 1 was also probably the toughest balancing we'll ever have to do (I hope ;)). For set 1, we were trying to get our foundation just right--and figure out how much or little to pave the way for places we wanted to continue to build into. We were setting the entire initial tempo of the game, pinpointing the tension we wanted to start from for aggressive decks vs. more controlling decks, and with set 2 we have this whole existing foundation now that we get as context to build off of (instead of no context with set 1).

I hope any of that was useful!

Also congrats to Colin he really is as swell a guy as Cory says! :)

Also also the hug thing is proven science check it for yourself! :D

BenStoll
08-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Also, yeah, Fuzzuko is kind of a baller. We wanted to give dedicated Shin'hare decks another awesome altnernative to Monika'shin (Need more Hoppers? Go Moninka'shin. Need more team pumps? Go Fuzzuko!). He is very solid, but he's not too good. He received a LOT of playtesting and went through a LOT of iterations in draft playtesting, finally settling where he is now. At 6 charges we felt he just wasn't quite exciting enough.

mudkip
08-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Hey this is a great point to bring up...

Whoa, that post's another article in itself, thanks for that, Ben!

Congrats Colin, you totally deserve it.

MugenMusou
08-30-2014, 06:22 PM
I guess I better stop spoiling cards with our fun (but VERY rarely used) mechanic/flavor element! I did not expect that reaction in our forums, but honestly at this point I should be aware that ALL reactions are viable and likely (I would like to apologize to the guy that reported “shitting a brick”, I never meant for my post to cause that kind of bowel trauma). Be aware this is not something we will be using often, it’s just a bit of fun and we will NOT overdo it.

Does this mean, the card is really just a "this troop cannot block"?

When I read the text, I thought it was a really cool card because of the combination of the flavor text and relatively unique mechanics.

I interpreted such that the troop can block when he will not die from the opponent's attack i.e. when he becomes invincible, or when he is blocking opponent who has only attacking power of 1 etc. Basically, I thought this was a conditional block.

Was I wrong?

deathandtexas
08-30-2014, 08:46 PM
*yawn*

jonsnow2000
09-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Does this mean, the card is really just a "this troop cannot block"?

When I read the text, I thought it was a really cool card because of the combination of the flavor text and relatively unique mechanics.

I interpreted such that the troop can block when he will not die from the opponent's attack i.e. when he becomes invincible, or when he is blocking opponent who has only attacking power of 1 etc. Basically, I thought this was a conditional block.

Was I wrong?

Yeah I'm kinda still confused about that... it would be awesome if you could force him to block with stuff like Pheromones.

MugenMusou
09-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Yeah I'm kinda still confused about that... it would be awesome if you could force him to block with stuff like Pheromones.

Having an interesting flavor text explaining the ability is nice, but I think they should take that to another level and really mean different from plain keyword counter part, but I believe we still have no solid answer on this matter from any of developers.