PDA

View Full Version : Hexonomics Fundamentals and Technicals

Mokog
09-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Howdy Hexers!

Today we have a double dose of Hexonomics! First we do a quick look at fundamentals at how players can think about their cards and the prices they pay and then follow up with some deeper ways to use the Auction house data to make purchasing decisions.

First the Fundamentals! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQqGCO1GZ5k)

Then the Technical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdBu2n_mUmg

If you haven't dosed off let me know! What did you like in the videos? Should I delve deeper into a particular subject? Was a concept not clicking?

Leave a comment. I read them all!

~Mokog

Counter
09-04-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks it's interesting. I like the use of 3-day and 5-day averages and explanation of their use. I don't like the music in the background bc I find it distracting, because I just want to hear your voice, but that's just my opinion.

Yoss
09-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Great videos!

My only critique is that you were a bit soft on the Store vs AH math and instead made it sound like personal feeling. In reality, you can calculate EXACTLY what a primal roll is worth. Just take the current Primal price on the AH and multiply by 0.02 and there you go. As of this post, the primal roll is worth 35p. Subtract that off of the 200p retail and you get 165p. If you can get a pack on the AH for less than 165p, it's better than the store. On the other hand, if you can do at least average at Constructed, which pays at 160p per pack on average, you are getting the vanilla pack at 125p (160 minus 35).

Mokog
09-05-2014, 03:52 PM
I did express it as a feeling Yoss and I will tell you why. Any number I quoted in that video with out hard contextualized data could be interpreted as an opinion. So I presented that as opinion. When I say the price of this card is in a range over these days I can point directly to Hex generated data. It is not opinion but fact. We have anecdotal data and observation. We can provide a daily observation of the current listed pack price but we can only infer what sold. I want hard data to make strong opinion. When your data is well sourced, your methods transparent and your logic solid you can speak with confidence.

I don't mind churning data up a bit. I could go at the value of a primal pack from the possible components side and provide aggregated values.Then a person can compare store packs to purchasing a primal then to the possible benefit of opening one. It maybe valuable to knowing numerically when it is valuable to opening a primal than to selling it. We can all imagine the low end of a primal (2 $2 legends and all 31 plat rares = 407ish plat) to the top end epic legend primal pack. (on good days 6000-ish plat).

Maybe I just found the next Hexonomics. The Value of Primal Packs.

Yoss
09-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Here are some actual sale prices for primals (in roughly time order):
1298p 1450p 1703p 1788p 1700p 2x1600p 1725p

Kroan
09-12-2014, 06:32 AM
I'd be delighted if you would leave away the background music next time. :)