PDA

View Full Version : Confused on whether or not to open packs

LordGorchnik
09-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Hey there Hexxers,

Haven't been playing for......well since the game first launched its alpha test because of no PvE content.

Point is, I am still sitting on 100+ unopened set 1 packs and 3 unopened primal packs. Should I be saving these for anything? I remember something about opening packs when events/cons happened to increase chances of rares and such but all of that has completely slipped my mind now that I have been gone for quite a few months.

Is this what everyone else who backed and got 100+ packs is doing as well or did everybody tear through their set 1 boosters and primals already?

Grumph
09-06-2014, 09:46 AM
I'm holding on to my packs to continue drafting/sealed once set 2 comes out, since those formats will still require some set 1 packs. I don't think the event thing is going to effect opening packs like they had talked about in the past

Xenavire
09-06-2014, 10:02 AM
The earlier announced plan for getting chests stamped with convention goodies has completely changed. You can freely drat, crack, or sell those packs with no repercussions.

ossuary
09-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Time-based event prizes are no longer going to be linked to opening packs. Instead, once the feature is added to the game, you'll get a chance to win those prizes by playing games or PVE content. There's no need to hold onto packs for event prizes (though Grumph's idea to hold onto some of them to draft with is probably a good idea!).

Grimshaw
09-06-2014, 10:27 AM
I, like Grumph, have been using my packs for drafting and sealed tournaments. I like playing these formats and it helps build a collection at the same time. It's possible to come out ahead in value with some luck and practice. If you don't like these formats or don't have the time for them and you're looking for either PvE or constructed, you either open the packs or sell them to buy singles from the AH.

I did some quick math from the AH values yesterday. Packs prices are on the rise recently and are at about 150p each. If you open 100 packs, you'll get approximately:

11 legendaries (which all list above pack value)
20 rares above that pack value, 5 of which are worth at least double the pack value
69 rares will be below pack value, 41 of which are selling for less than half of the pack value

If you're feeling lucky, you might come out ahead by opening some valuable legendaries. Personally, I decided that I would rather sell my excess packs and buy the singles I need to complete set 1. It might be worth considering skipping the pack opening experience and sell them so that you can buy specific singles that you want.

Yubar
09-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Sell packs for singles if you like constructed or use for draft, some combination of both sounds okay to me

LordGorchnik
09-06-2014, 01:19 PM
How many packs do you have to pay to play constructed?

Svenn
09-06-2014, 01:21 PM
How many packs do you have to pay to play constructed?

None. Constructed costs 300 platinum and you have to bring your own deck.