PDA

View Full Version : Engineering King Gabriel

Shaqattaq
10-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Hi HEXers. You may have heard the rumblings of DataDragon in the background from time to time, but today I have been asked to chat with you here on the main page. The inner workings of the Engineering cave tend to be shrouded in mystery, but I hope to bring at least some of it to the light regarding patch King Gabriel.

https://hextcg.com/engineering-king-gabriel/

hacky
10-10-2014, 05:29 PM
As a software engineer, I love the more technical side and updates like this. Please do more! <3

the_artic_one
10-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Dare I ask which version control you were using?

Kami
10-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I love behind the scenes articles like this one. =^_^=

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

jonsnow2000
10-10-2014, 06:11 PM
I have to say I'm very impressed by how fast we have seen bugfixes in the past days since the patch. This article underscores it - easier coding, easier to test, easier fixes when something breaks.

N3rd4Christ
10-10-2014, 06:28 PM
I have to say I'm very impressed by how fast we have seen bugfixes in the past days since the patch. This article underscores it - easier coding, easier to test, easier fixes when something breaks.

I agree. This is a welcomed change.

Xenavire
10-10-2014, 08:44 PM
This explains a lot, thanks guys.

TheEmpireGintoki
10-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Thank you for this update. Really interesting to read what you've been working on, and what's been going on. Keep it up! Thank you =).

Edswor
10-11-2014, 12:57 AM
As a software engineer, I love the more technical side and updates like this. Please do more! <3

Same here.

Sunzhi
10-11-2014, 02:28 AM
Thank you for this update. Really interesting to read what you've been working on, and what's been going on. Keep it up! Thank you =)

+1

And thx for this game , its awesome

FlyingMeatchip
10-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Awesome stuff guys......The week and a half wait was a bit boring...the end result is shining through!

knightofeffect
10-11-2014, 10:02 AM
This was probably my favorite update that has ever been given. When I think of transparency and community engagement, its articles like this that go more towards reinforcing my buy-in to the sausage-making process than anything else.

Great work guys, and keep it up! =)

Ertzi
10-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Absolutely awesome update. I have also noticed the faster fixes after this operation. This can only have positive effect. Now the development can take leaps instead of shambling because of faulty software. Exciting times :)

Yoss
10-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Keep up the good work, HexEnt!

Thepsis
10-11-2014, 01:56 PM
sounds good ... i remember switching from svn to git with my own stuff.
I never looked backed :)

ossuary
10-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Very interesting read. I would love to see more articles like this with little tidbits of behind the scenes info from the various departments. I bet stuff like this would keep the "we never know what's going on" people happy, too. Thanks for the write-up, DataDragon. :)

Am I the only one that pictures him sleeping in a corner of the coding den on a giant pile of micro SD cards, BTW? ;)

nickon
10-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the write-up, DataDragon. :)

I think it was Shaq who wrote the article? And I think I've seen you make the same mistake before? ;)

Thanks for the behind the scenes look. I'm also wondering what version control system you switched to, and how this made life easier? Probably too much detail though :)

Xenavire
10-14-2014, 01:09 PM
I think it was Shaq who wrote the article? And I think I've seen you make the same mistake before? ;)

Thanks for the behind the scenes look. I'm also wondering what version control system you switched to, and how this made life easier? Probably too much detail though :)

It's DD. He even says so at the start.

Hi HEXers. You may have heard the rumblings of DataDragon in the background from time to time, but today I have been asked to chat with you here on the main page. The inner workings of the Engineering cave tend to be shrouded in mystery, but I hope to bring at least some of it to the light regarding patch King Gabriel.

If it was someone else writing this, then they wrote it in such a way that they are getting no credit. :p

DataDragon
10-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Greetings, players. I'm glad to see you enjoyed my wall of text and found it informative.
For those confused; Shaq presented/proofread the article, I wrote it, and the information came from myself and the Engineering team in general.
I do apologize for the length of it, but I had a lot of information to share, and it seems like you wanted to read it, and thank you for saying so.
There will always be some details that we aren't going to share, and will remain vague about. It's not about keeping secrets as much as it is just being nice to the tech community in general. Tools always have a better use somewhere in the ecosystem, and what we use works best for us.
As for my preferred data hoard piles, I do enjoy the various micro/mini-SD cards, as well as some vintage LS-120, and the occasional SSD drive since they aren't overly uncomfortable. CDs and DVDs are nice for the shiny factor, and flash drives are nice for snacks.
Also, thank you for your continued contributions to my data hoard. I need to return to collecting more.

ossuary
10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Apologize? For juicy content? Perish the thought, sir!

I say bring on the walls. :)

Does Cory get your flash drives from PetSmart, alongside the Beggin' Strips? ;)

Xenavire
10-14-2014, 05:48 PM
A gentleman and a scholar, not bad for a Dragon. It was a fascinating read, and just at the understandable level without going on too much. A great bit of writing, thanks a lot for taking the time to put it together. :)

Canathan
10-15-2014, 07:24 AM
This is what I have been waiting for! Don't water it down. A lot of us who have been here since the beginning and are geeks like being treated like we are a part of it, even if a very small part. :) Thank you.

DocX
10-15-2014, 08:52 AM
I do apologize for the length of it, but I had a lot of information to share, and it seems like you wanted to read it, and thank you for saying so.

As someone who reads technical journals, this is nowhere close to long. . . if you want long, I've got some ACM articles I can send you :-)

There will always be some details that we aren't going to share, and will remain vague about. It's not about keeping secrets as much as it is just being nice to the tech community in general. Tools always have a better use somewhere in the ecosystem, and what we use works best for us.

I'm guessing this is addressing the questions about what version control you've moved from and to. I don't know that keeping these things secret or vague are strictly necessary (or at least as secret or vague as it was in this particular article). The way I've seen this handled with other folks is they'll say "We had these particular requirements/issues and solution B worked better for us than solution A. We still have issues 1, 2 and 3 with solution B, but those are minor and/or we've adjusted our workflow to accommodate those peculiarities" or some similar phrasing.

Personally, I don't care as much about whether you traded svn for git (or Perforce or ClearCase or Plastic SCM or Mercurial or whatever) as much as the thinking behind the switch. What specific limitations were you seeing and how did the change solve that? I see a bit of that at the high level, but as someone who has a taste for information myself, getting details around that would be quite enjoyable.

I do understand wanting to be careful with this sort of thing. If we knew what sort of middleware you were working with, there's the chance the muck up with the move from Alpha to Closed Beta would have cast a bad light on that vendor whether or not that was warranted. But, taking an example from the article, knowing more about how the tournament system was reworked (e.g. "We realized the abstraction we were using was locking tables on the back end causing contention at the data base layer. We went instead to a queuing system that batches updates and sends a delayed confirmation to clients to improve throughput") would be awesome. I know that'll likely be a balance between providing information and protecting trade secrets, but as someone who loves seeing how systems go together, I'm looking forward to more information coming out over time.

nickon
10-16-2014, 04:36 AM
^ 2nd

Couldn't have said it any better myself.