PDA

View Full Version : Questions... Answers???

Pages : [1] 2

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 01:41 PM
----------------------
For a digestible QA Summary go to: http://www.hexprimal.com/state-of-the-game-cory-jones-qa-summary/ - Special thanks to Hexprimal!
-----------------------

Hello!
As we moved into “ninja” beta (I love the forums), I thought this would be a good time to chat with the community. I realize there are a large number of questions floating around--I read just about everything on the forums-- and maybe I can answer some of those questions.

Keep in mind

I cannot go into specifics about the lawsuit, but I think everything I already stated in the thread above makes it pretty clear how I feel and its all still true. Also, the article by Paul Lesko is great, I recommend reading it.

I can give you dates all day long, but they will be estimates. As hard as we work and as smart as we plan, there is simply no way to guarantee dates in Software development. In 20 years I have NEVER seen a piece of software come in on time. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Yes, WE ALSO want it done now…

Lets just get these first two out of the way:

We would like to release SET 2 in November, we currently tracking under 10 bugs, we expect to find more, BUT it is getting very close.

We would like to release Arena in December, this is a bit more risky but we have been hitting our milestones and it is looking good.

So shoot some questions at me, and I will see what I can do to answer them.

Also, I thought all the “Baby Yeti” threads where pretty funny…

So I put 2 copies of the alternate art for Baby Yeti in your collection if you made an account before the need for a key was dropped. Before I told Will how I was using the alternate art card he wrote this sweet post… seems like a waste not to share it (good job Will very funny)

TITLE: Baby Yeti AA Closed Beta Reward

BLURB: And you thought you were safe from the Baby Yeti…

BODY:
The Baby Yeti is the bane of everyone’s existence as can be determined by the community petition made here.
So overpowered, but perhaps misunderstood. We think of him as loveable. If you just spent some time with him, maybe you’d understand him better. Even become friends. We decided that we wanted to give everyone in closed beta testing the first ever alternate art Baby Yeti.
In many ways, the Baby Yeti is much like the closed beta version of HEX. He’s young, but scrappy. He is lean, attacks fast, and has a bit of attitude. What he lacks in beef due to his youth, he makes up in sheer determination to get across enemy lines and start winning. Soon, HEX will be kid yeti, tween yeti, troubled youth yeti, midlife crisis sportscar-leasing yeti, and so on. For those of you playing HEX now, you’ll always be able to look back and remember when HEX was just a young 1/1 beat-down artist with aspirations and an entire life to look forward to.
Anyone who logged in during closed beta will receive two copies of little spitfire. The alternate art Baby Yeti will find its way into the game—and hopefully into your hearts—with the next feature patch.

So there it is, fire off some questions.

-cory

hammer
11-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Ya for baby yeti :D

Aradon
11-03-2014, 01:45 PM
What PvE features do you plan to include with the Arena? Is it going to be purely the dungeon, or will we be gaining access to some equipment for our PvE cards at that time as well? Will we be playing the Arena with the PvP champions, or will we have initial versions of the PvE champions to play around with?
Also, anything else you want to share with us about PvE is always, always appreciated, even if you'd just teasing us with tantalizing visions of paradise :)

Edit: Oh yes, thanks for posting and answering our questions!

Vengus
What does Hypnotic Mesmerist do? :p

Voormas
Question: How's it going?

syphonhail
I mentioned this on Twitter yesterday, but would you consider doing something like the "Hero of the Year" program where you would give top tier players a bunch of AA codes for a particular card? If someone beats them in a tournament match, they "drop" an AA code. The only way to get these codes will be by beating these people in tournaments.

Naturally, you have quite a bit on your agenda, but I wanted to bring up a neat idea from a previous life of yours that may help incentivize tournament play more. This is likely an idea that is in the way future as opposed to something in the short term (maybe).

I will think of a better question later.

Kroan
11-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Are you still up for donating those Primal Packs for the Rock League? :D

Also; What's the word on the book. Any chance to release it before Set 2?

Another one: Posters: Yay or nay.

And last; I was planning to print the art book as a real book at a local printshop. Is there some kind of legal-thing I have to be aware of? Are you guys ok with that?

Motjida
11-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Great writeup Cory, thanks for keeping us informed :)

Vorsa
11-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Q1. On a scale of 1-10, how Oprah did you feel gifting the AA Baby Yeti unto the world?

Q2. Do the vennen and coyotle troops in sets 1 & 2 give us a teaser as to the themes of those races in sets 3 & 4, or have they mainly be assigned to those cards just to keep the races visible?

Q3. Will we play Frost Ring arena with champions, mercenaries or PvE classes?

hammer
11-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Will full art and foil "unlocks" still be at the individual card level ? - have you considered moving this to the account level so that they have to be earned and not bought, it takes out the hassle of having to work out which partially levelled cards to include in your deck and the differentiation of cards and value on the AH based on different level attributes.

Related - What happened to the Dragon Blood Starter, any hints on timeframe, content and whether it will contain Set 2 Cards.

BossHoss
11-03-2014, 01:53 PM
What KickStarter rewards are slated to be fulfilled with the Arena?

Will the Arena introduce the equipment?

Is there a schedule planned for rotating the wheels of fate loot table? Per set/per year etc.

N3rd4Christ
AA Baby Yeti.... Where do i start?

Rendakor
What will the Arena release entail? Just some PVE encounters or will it include any of the following:
PVE cards
Chest opening
Equipment
Champion leveling
Mercenaries

Hatts
What milestones need to be reached before moving from ninja beta to open beta? Is it the stability improvements (large scale tournaments etc), Set 2, PvE, or something else?

P.S I prefer the more wordy I can't believe it's not Open Beta! nomenclature

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I have a few minor ones... Do we have a final list of cards (numbers, up to date totals of standard and created/transformed, in case they have changed) and are they all coded?

And, more importantly - should we be expecting a spoiler list, or a launch event? I am sure you don't really have time to switch from a list to an event at this point, so if you know, we would love to have a bit of warning. :)

DarkShadowNL
When will the full set 2 spoiler be released?

Scammanator
"Ninja Beta" name validated. Point to Mokog!

Three cheers for the Baby Yeti!

Question for Cory: Which of the possible opponents in the Arena is your personal favorite, and why?

schild
1. After set 2 releases, are you going to try to establish a schedule for future set releases so that we have a stable and predictable block release/out-of-print cycle?

2. If trading is on the backburner or in a sort of slowed cycle, is there a possibility of adding quantity adjustment and quantity filters to mail trading?

3. Are guilds on hold for a total overhaul or is it something we'll be seeing as an incremental addition starting with chat rooms?

4. Can we add a "right click & challenge" option to the friends list in the chat window?

5. On the topic of starter decks, is there going to be a large price drop so new players have a "nearly" free to play experience? Or additional incentive for purchasing them? I don't personally care, but the number of threads here and elsewhere on this topic is a little insane.

6. With the release of set 2, is there a possibility of getting a casual format like EDH put into the game, or is that on hold until we get multicolor champions? That other game is practically driven by the casual space now, and once the card pool hits ~1,000 cards, that sort of thing becomes an insane amount of fun, even for us Spikes.

Hieronymous
A few other ETA questions:

1) Secure trading, as opposed to mailing?

2) two-step authenticator support?

3) Dragon's Blood Starter?

4) "Double back" and card-stats tracking features? Are cards currently tracking info and it just isn't showing, or when that's implemented will all cards come in with a blank slate?

Mejis
Cory this is great, thanks so much for this. :D

I will try and think of a better question, but what is your favourite card from Set 1 and what is your favourite from Set 2? For the latter, obviously a spoiler would be cool ;) But I'm more asking from a playstyle point of view. Has Set 2 changed your opinions of cards in Set 1?

And I think everyone would like to know, what exactly is The Arena? Can you give away any more specifics?

chromus
11-03-2014, 01:59 PM
What is the order of release for these other features (roughly): Guilds, Double Backs, Async Format, 1st Dungeon, Chest Opening, Keeps, Crafting/Disenchanting? Dates would be nice, maybe in the 'Q1 2015', '2nd Half of 2015' format :)

syphonhail
11-03-2014, 02:01 PM
When will chests be openable? Can you give us a preview of what we may find in a primal chest?

Lawlschool
11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
BABY YETI AA HYPE! My prayers have been answered.

funktion
11-03-2014, 02:03 PM
To tack on to what Zubrin was asking (and I realize this might be fairly far out given current hurdles)... Can you give us any general/broad insight to your over-arching vision regarding organized play? Or rather plans for the greater competitive levels of Hex?

chili
11-03-2014, 02:06 PM
How far down the list are alternate formats like two headed giant and EDH?

Tazelbain
11-03-2014, 02:08 PM
I love the AA tournaments, is there plans for AA tourments post VIP?

Is Hex going to have Core sets?

Why have ninja cats been neglected in Set 01 and the Set 02 spoilers?

Thrawn
11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
1. After set 2 releases, are you going to try to establish a schedule for future set releases so that we have a stable and predictable block release/out-of-print cycle?

2. If trading is on the backburner or in a sort of slowed cycle, is there a possibility of adding quantity adjustment and quantity filters to mail trading?

3. Are guilds on hold for a total overhaul or is it something we'll be seeing as an incremental addition starting with chat rooms?

4. Can we add a "right click & challenge" option to the friends list in the chat window?

5. On the topic of starter decks, is there going to be a large price drop so new players have a "nearly" free to play experience? Or additional incentive for purchasing them? I don't personally care, but the number of threads here and elsewhere on this topic is a little insane.

6. With the release of set 2, is there a possibility of getting a casual format like EDH put into the game, or is that on hold until we get multicolor champions? That other game is practically driven by the casual space now, and once the card pool hits ~1,000 cards, that sort of thing becomes an insane amount of fun, even for us Spikes.

I'll just second all of these with an emphasis on #1.

knightofeffect
11-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Thoughts on creating a mentorship program that encourages/rewards veterans for reaching out to assist and engage new players in the community? IE Hex Guru-ish program. (Still got my black-n-white card from some other tcg back in the day =P)

Can you touch on some of the design challenges and current outlook for double backs? Will full art/foils be trade-able? What is the targeted time investment to unlock? Tracked on individual cards or by play set? Any plans to incorporate animations instead of just foils?

How about the current chest rolling state? Better incentives to roll higher rarity chests in store? Solution for duplicate non-stackable rewards?

Enyeez
11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
one of the coolest things I read in the kickstarter, was the double back.

I understand that they may not be in the game any time soon, but are the stats counted ?

noragar
11-03-2014, 02:12 PM
What's the reason for having price floors in the Auction House?

Are they a temporary measure until some other feature in put in place, such as crafting, or will they be around permanently?

Aradon
11-03-2014, 02:13 PM

I understand that they may not be in the game any time soon, but are the stats counted ?

No, currently, no data is being stored for double backs, unfortunately.

schild
11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
Oh, that reminds me.

On record-keeping: Are draft-records and constructed records going to be kept completely separate in terms of overall rating when that stuff starts mattering?

Ditsch
11-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much for Baby Yeti AA :)

Questions

1) Is there a limit how many times per day i can play in Arena ?

2) VIP Tournament this month is constructed if set 2 is out is set 2 allowed for the constructed VIP tournament ?

3) Any plans on making one Free Mulligan rule for PvE play only ? It seems a lot of new players really don't like Paris Mulligan and that crowd is going to be more into PvE, so it might be a good idea to try that out.

Thank you Cory you rock. :)

hammer
11-03-2014, 02:18 PM
When will we get answers ?? - Soon?

thegreybetween
11-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you for this Q&A opportunity. Transparency can be a double-edged sword, and even the most information-rich efforts tend to be met with criticism from eager fans who demand to know MOAR! I really appreciate your efforts to keep all of us in the loop.

Some Questions:

1) Multiple accounts - Back during the KS, word on the street was that certain features (notably the 1-year drafts) wouldn't stack, so many folks redeemed codes on different accounts. Then, things were allowed to stack, leaving some folks in multi-box limbo. Before account codes were a known feature, it was said we'd have a limited window to merge accounts. Nothing more on this has been stated.

Will we have a chance to merge accounts, even for a limited-only or support-ticket-required window?

2) Sleeves and the Wheel of Fate - If you roll sleeves on the WoF, awesome! However, all subsequent results grant nothing but a paid spin. We've heard rumors that this will be corrected, either via a line of code that automatically redirects this outcome to a new WoF result, or by having dupe sleeve rolls award a consolation prize (even just a free re-spin).

What is the ultimate plan for duplicate WoF sleeve rolls?

3) Gold!! - We've heard that Gold will be used to spin chests, acquire cards on the AH (both of which it does), and will further be "the primary currency of PvE". We have heard, to some extent, that it will be involved in upgrading keep defenses and other aspects of the PvE experience. But it would be nice to know a little more about the role of Gold in PvE development, so that we can better decide if it is worthwhile to hoard it now, or go ahead and spin those $30k Legendary chests.

In a big picture sense, what will we be able to spend our gold to do?

4) Any chance you could spoil the actual ATT/DEF and abilities of the WoF PvE cards? Bonus points if you can reveal the funtions of the PvE equipment also available on the WoF.

Thanks again!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM
What PvE features do you plan to include with the Arena? Is it going to be purely the dungeon, or will we be gaining access to some equipment for our PvE cards at that time as well? Will we be playing the Arena with the PvP champions, or will we have initial versions of the PvE champions to play around with?
Also, anything else you want to share with us about PvE is always, always appreciated, even if you'd just teasing us with tantalizing visions of paradise :)

Edit: Oh yes, thanks for posting and answering our questions!

Arena will launch with the ability to use PVE cards and equipment (that you have earned, some of which come from the arena itself or the chests), you will be playing with PVP champions to start with but phase two will bring in Mercenaries.

and yes we want chest opening to launch with Arena

katkillad
11-03-2014, 02:24 PM
With the release of Set 2 hopefully coming, you are now two sets of equipment into PVE without us having a chance to play it yet. Are equipment items going to be less complex/interesting and more standardized, are there any sacrifices being made there?

Aradon
Aradon has leveled up! Aradon gains +5 hype!

Much more than I hoped for, thanks :3

Cory_Jones
I mentioned this on Twitter yesterday, but would you consider doing something like the "Hero of the Year" program where you would give top tier players a bunch of AA codes for a particular card? If someone beats them in a tournament match, they "drop" an AA code. The only way to get these codes will be by beating these people in tournaments.

Naturally, you have quite a bit on your agenda, but I wanted to bring up a neat idea from a previous life of yours that may help incentivize tournament play more. This is likely an idea that is in the way future as opposed to something in the short term (maybe).

ya, I loved that program, like the other 100000 ideas I want to get in the game its a matter of prioritizing, I do love the idea, and could see doing something like it in the future

thegreybetween
Oh, one more question:

Can you please give us some insight into the account leveling system? We know that it, along with the MIGHT system, replace traditional RPG character leveling aspects. You've also told us that the account leveling will be awesome. Could you please elaborate on this a little more?

ryuukan
11-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Will dungeon crawler tier backers get anything come arena time

Cato
11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
I love Baby Yeti! <3

A lot of great questions asked already. I will go for:

What's your favourite / craziest card from Set 2 you can spoil or describe to us?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Are you still up for donating those Primal Packs for the Rock League? :D

Also; What's the word on the book. Any chance to release it before Set 2?

Another one: Posters: Yay or nay.

And last; I was planning to print the art book as a real book at a local printshop. Is there some kind of legal-thing I have to be aware of? Are you guys ok with that?

- yes I will donate the SET 1 primal packs :)
- the book is done, I am actually delaying it, I want to write a nice foreword, but have had a bit of a writers block :(
- yes poster are coming just trying to figure out shipping, it will happen
- uhhh...

Rehab
11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
Are.there currently any plans to put in a ranked ladder? If so would it be like LoL or can you give any details?

magic_gazz
11-03-2014, 02:29 PM

This is a sweet idea but unfortunately I am not sure it will work.

If the AA cards have any value the Hero can just collude with people. For example, I am the Hero and I get 7 people to enter a swiss draft with me. I "lose" every round. Now we split the packs and the plat for selling the AA cards. OR I am the Hero and in the finals of a draft, if the AA is worth more than the difference between first and second I can concede to my opponent and split the profits.

It is a shame because I really like this idea.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:30 PM
Q1. On a scale of 1-10, how Oprah did you feel gifting the AA Baby Yeti unto the world?

Q2. Do the vennen and coyotle troops in sets 1 & 2 give us a teaser as to the themes of those races in sets 3 & 4, or have they mainly be assigned to those cards just to keep the races visible?

Q3. Will we play Frost Ring arena with champions, mercenaries or PvE classes?

1. we don't talk anymore, not sure what I did
2. a little bit of a clue, but both races have cool specific mechanics :)
3. PVP champions to start with, then we add in mercenaries

Gwaer
11-03-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm going to illegally have printed a hard cover of Christie Goldens hex book if you do not provide a print on demand hard cover option for me. Please do not make me a criminal. Thank you.

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
1. Where do you get your awesomeness?

2. How can I get to be as awesomeness?

3. Does it come with a battery, for awesomeness re-charging?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Will full art and foil "unlocks" still be at the individual card level ? - have you considered moving this to the account level so that they have to be earned and not bought, it takes out the hassle of having to work out which partially levelled cards to include in your deck and the differentiation of cards and value on the AH based on different level attributes.

Related - What happened to the Dragon Blood Starter, any hints on timeframe, content and whether it will contain Set 2 Cards.

Foil and EA is still at the card level, we have discussed this AT LENGTH, but I feel its an important part of the various "progression" models in the game.

Dragon Blood starter is coming, its waiting on the ability for us to add the foil and EA cards.

Diesbudt
11-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Will we get more lore information/side stories or something about Entrath or the races prior to the novel and full fledged PVE that I assume has a story(ies)?

L1ght
11-03-2014, 02:35 PM
What are thoughts on the shuffler? Do you think there is room for improvement?

It keeps coming up because obviously no one enjoys seeing a no shard / all shard opening hand, or mulliganing into one. And with all the new players around now we have new people going through the experience and starting the whole debate over again. I know there are arguments on all sides of the 100% random vs eliminating edge cases vs full on weaving spectrum and each has valid points. Would like to hear your thoughts :)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
What does Hypnotic Mesmerist do? :p

sorry kind of small

funktion
11-03-2014, 02:37 PM
How has the apprentice program been going?

Cirouss
11-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Great stuff Cory! Thanks a lot for this post.

You said throw questions so here I go:

When we were at gamescom together you said I will be allowed to stream from there, offer still stands? ;)

But much more important: No one is accepting any of my fast food challanges when I am the first time in America... will you? ;D

Cirouss

Hadry
11-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Yay for arena coming closer to us. I really hope it can come this year.
Im not sure if it have been asked or discussed before, but theres any plan to bring the new AI (arena lvl AI) before AI release so PvE players can play vs the provding ground AI for any kind of reward? I understand as it is now theres no point on giving a reward for wining vs it.

jonsnow2000
11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Cory, thanks for this thread :) My 3 main questions right now:

Alternate formats in the client

From my layman's perspective, it seems like you could enable alternate formats like the one from the "Rock League" without expending too much development time. It would be very helpful especially for newer players if they had a way to play Proving Ground matches where they know they can't get stomped by players with top tier decks. Any chance we will see this implemented within the next few weeks?

"Budget" Constructed Tourneys

Are you considering a "budget" tourney variant for the constructed queues? I feel the main reason why the constructed tourneys are so neglected is the fact that it is very intimidating to spend 300-500 Plat when most players are not really confident about their decks. Is there any chance you guys will implement a budget constructed tourney that costs 50-100 Plat to enter? Obviously the payouts couldn't be much, but I'm sure lots of players would still flock to them.

Arena

If you hope to release Arena in december, it seems that you already have the specifics mostly set in stone. Will we finally get to use all that stuff collecting dust in our stash from the Wheels of Fate? In general, anything you can tell us about the Arena would be much appreciated.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:44 PM
What KickStarter rewards are slated to be fulfilled with the Arena?

Will the Arena introduce the equipment?

Is there a schedule planned for rotating the wheels of fate loot table? Per set/per year etc.

Kickstarter rewards, we would like to deliver all the PVE rewards (cards and equipment) that's the plan, but I will not let it hold up arena

Yes, equipment will come in with arena

the WOF loot table changes with every block

Rehab
11-03-2014, 02:44 PM
Out of all of the features promised during the KS(Double backs, 40 dungeons, Guilds, Tablet support, etc.) which has been the most difficult to implement from a technical view point? Are there any promises/stretch goals you wish you hadn't made?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:47 PM
What milestones need to be reached before moving from ninja beta to open beta? Is it the stability improvements (large scale tournaments etc), Set 2, PvE, or something else?

P.S I prefer the more wordy I can't believe it's not Open Beta! nomenclature

primarily, I want more robust PVE (the arena), secondarily I want higher stability before we actively draw in more players

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:49 PM
I have a few minor ones... Do we have a final list of cards (numbers, up to date totals of standard and created/transformed, in case they have changed) and are they all coded?

And, more importantly - should we be expecting a spoiler list, or a launch event? I am sure you don't really have time to switch from a list to an event at this point, so if you know, we would love to have a bit of warning. :)

not sure we will do a spoiler list, I like the idea of an event and how exciting it is to discover new stuff on that day. And yes we are talking about a little launch event, nothing big just a nice celebration.

Aradon
11-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Are there plans for a tougher AI with the Arena release? Currently, its still making some questionable decisions.

GreyWorm
11-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi :)
When do we expect to get the Dragon blood starter deck?
Will it contain only set 1 cards?
and why is it taking so long? because of the foil card?

Edit: Ok, saw now that it was already asked :) sorry

the_artic_one
When is true open beta coming? When set 2 releases or when arena releases.

Edit: Ninja'd like a beta

Cory_Jones
"Ninja Beta" name validated. Point to Mokog!

Three cheers for the Baby Yeti!

Question for Cory: Which of the possible opponents in the Arena is your personal favorite, and why?

It will be super obvious which opponent is my favorite, but I don't want to spoil it :)
overall we have tried to make the experience varied and fun, with lots of special little things happening, I think people are going to love it.

LNQ
11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Have you decided anything regarding implementing asynchronous tournaments?

Sithos
11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
The HexTCG Twitch Channel having streamers on has been an excellent step in the right direction.

For many of us Hex Streaming has become a major segment of what keeps Hex entertaining.

My question is, what are the plans for that channel going forward, and will it be further expanded to other streamers/time slots?

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Cory, I have a fun one... No need to name names, but a lot of community members go above and beyond. With that in mind, do you have candidates for the next Exalted, and if so, when do you think you might announce a new addition?

EDIT: Oh, and I am surprised no-one asked about blue wheel sleeves. :p

BenRGamer
11-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Dunno if the Q&A is still going on, but will the Collector's get their special AAs when the set releases, or some undetermined later point?

My Set 1 AAs will be paying for all of my Set 2 singles. Mostly. I'm hoping I can continue this trend. Collector forever!

Scammanator
11-03-2014, 02:57 PM
It will be super obvious which opponent is my favorite, but I don't want to spoil it :)
overall we have tried to make the experience varied and fun, with lots of special little things happening, I think people are going to love it.

:) That's what I suspected. I'll say no more, because the surprise should be great. But I would bet my shiny new AA Baby Yetis that i can guess which character you're talking about.

Thanks for doing this Q&A, Cory!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

1. Yes, we would like a new set every 3-4 months
2. I would like to add both those features, sadly nothing is simple and I would imagine that is going to remain lower on the priority list
3. Incremental, we have them in development, (I think its very important)
4. I have re-imagined our chat interface from the ground up, I added every bell and whistle I could think of, I have also brought on two more engineers to specifically finish it as soon as possible (this is a HUGE priority for me), and yes that right click challenge is one of the features (plus SO much more)
5. No change in starters (that are already available), touching them now would be a huge mistake, we have other elements coming in that fill that need and we may vary the offering on future starters
6. Other formats is something I am very passionate about, but I feel like the priority must remain delivering what we have already promised before moving on to other game elements.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:01 PM
A few other ETA questions:

1) Secure trading, as opposed to mailing?

2) two-step authenticator support?

3) Dragon's Blood Starter?

4) "Double back" and card-stats tracking features? Are cards currently tracking info and it just isn't showing, or when that's implemented will all cards come in with a blank slate?

these are all first half of 2015, and pretty much in that order of priority.

Rokku
11-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi Cory is it possible for the weekly updates to include how set 2 and arena are tracking? Nothing predictive just high level progress over past week.
E.g.
Set 2: Fixed 5 bugs found 3 more with total 11 still open.
Arena: All encounter decklists complete. Finalising boss charge powers. Still tuning PvE equipment.

AstaSyneri
11-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Cory would you care to spoil a PvE card from the Frost Ring? Or alternatively an opponent? Or really, anything? ;-)

Mahes
11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Love the question answer forum. Thank you Cory.

1. How does asynch for constructed and sealed rate on the priority list?

2. How much time does it take to get through the Arena for an average player?

3. Has there been any discussion concerning the current VIP tournament time schedules? I would as an example support a every 4 hour start for those of us who work on weekends and such.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Cory this is great, thanks so much for this. :D

I will try and think of a better question, but what is your favourite card from Set 1 and what is your favourite from Set 2? For the latter, obviously a spoiler would be cool ;) But I'm more asking from a playstyle point of view. Has Set 2 changed your opinions of cards in Set 1?

And I think everyone would like to know, what exactly is The Arena? Can you give away any more specifics?

Set 1 Pack Raptor is my favorite card (with Replicators Gambit coming in second)

In set 2 I love Timestep Magistrate (this has been spoiled already correct?)

YES! set 2 really is the "jelly" to set 1's "peanut butter"

Maybe we can do larger article on the arena in the next couple of weeks, but this isn't a great vehicle for that level of detail.

Diesbudt
11-03-2014, 03:10 PM

3. Has there been any discussion concerning the current VIP tournament time schedules? I would as an example support a every 4 hour start for those of us who work on weekends and such.

#2. May need to ask compared to someone who loses vs someone who just barely wins vs someone who just dominates Infamous Neo style.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:13 PM
What is the order of release for these other features (roughly): Guilds, Double Backs, Async Format, 1st Dungeon, Chest Opening, Keeps, Crafting/Disenchanting? Dates would be nice, maybe in the 'Q1 2015', '2nd Half of 2015' format :)

YIKES!
most of this is being worked on right now, at some level and all of it will be in first half of 2015, but I feel I would be doing a disservice and also probably wildly inaccurate if I prioritized this. sorry :(

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
When will chests be openable? Can you give us a preview of what we may find in a primal chest?

You can open them when arena hits :)
no spoiler, I want it to be a surprise, BUT I will say that the different levels of rarities have unique items you can ONLY get from that level of chest :)

asdf2000
11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
So then it looks like no pve until 2015?

I don't think anyone would be surprised by that, but just for clarification.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
To tack on to what Zubrin was asking (and I realize this might be fairly far out given current hurdles)... Can you give us any general/broad insight to your over-arching vision regarding organized play? Or rather plans for the greater competitive levels of Hex?

This is actually a HUGE focus for me, Chark and I talk about it just about every day. I hope to announce some "alpha" level OP before the end of the year, something to get the ball rolling in a small but exciting way. (I want to get HEX players winning some cash!)

ryuukan
11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Will crafting come with arena? I'm covering the ears of all my zodiac shamans so you can answer safely

Thrawn
11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
1. Yes, we would like a new set every 3-4 months

Roughly how far ahead are sets being worked on internally? Is set 3 being coded already? Set 4 or maybe even 5 already being designed?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM
How far down the list are alternate formats like two headed giant and EDH?

pretty low right now, as I said, we have a big list of stuff we have already promised and I want that knocked out before we get to the next set of features, that said I have SO many things I want to add to the game, I cannot wait to get to that part of development.

BossHoss
11-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Will you ever open another fortune cookie again?

Are chests still going to be separated by set number?

L1ght
11-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Are there any plans to encourage F2P players to give it a go & invest in HEX?

For example, First time purchase bonus, limited time offers, new player bundles etc etc. Looking at the most successful F2P games like Dota 2 or League of Legends or Hearthstone - they all have these incentives to encourage people to take the dive and become paid players. Maybe HEX could give out a Sleeve for first purchase or an exclusive non-tradeable starter deck or AA card - something that isn't too easily exploited.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:27 PM
I love the AA tournaments, is there plans for AA tourments post VIP?

Is Hex going to have Core sets?

Why have ninja cats been neglected in Set 01 and the Set 02 spoilers?

AA will always be a part of our rewards structure so yes! (but we don't want to over do it), we have plenty of categories of stuff to make the collecting element of the game exciting, including stuff we haven't even teased yet.

Core sets are a ways off, and frankly we haven't made a final call on the need, we want to wait and adjust to what ever is going to make the meta on HEX the most robust. (hooray! non answer!!)

NO... they appear in PVE, heck they have their own dungeon!

schild
11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
By popular request:

In addition to the AA Yeti, is there a possibility of a more... usable closed beta reward. Like a non-animated Blue Wheel sleeve, with nothing but the wheel in the middle?

Vorsa
11-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Thank you for all the answers, and spoilers too!
Timestep Magistrate is quite the work of art, and somehow festive (unless that just me).

You can open them when arena hits :)
no spoiler, I want it to be a surprise, BUT I will say that the different levels of rarities have unique items you can ONLY get from that level of chest :)

That certainly is a shocker - might have to revisit that big stack of gold & un-spun chests I have...

## New questions ##

Q1. Does Dungeon Crawler affect arena loot?
Kind of think not because arena =/= dungeon, but I have a vested interest in asking. :p

Q2. Are there some quirky card themes that anyone/everyone in the office would like to sneak into every set if possible?
E.g. a buffalo, a giant insect.

MatWith1T
11-03-2014, 03:33 PM
This is the best AMA ever.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Thoughts on creating a mentorship program that encourages/rewards veterans for reaching out to assist and engage new players in the community? IE Hex Guru-ish program. (Still got my black-n-white card from some other tcg back in the day =P)

Can you touch on some of the design challenges and current outlook for double backs? Will full art/foils be trade-able? What is the targeted time investment to unlock? Tracked on individual cards or by play set? Any plans to incorporate animations instead of just foils?

How about the current chest rolling state? Better incentives to roll higher rarity chests in store? Solution for duplicate non-stackable rewards?

I love the idea of a mentors program, something I will add to the ever growing list (I will say the community has actually been doing a pretty damn good job o f this, I am constantly seeing players give the new guy cards, help and just overall encouragement, I have said it... 2.5 million times, the community that came from the kickstarter was more valuable than the money)

the challenge for DB is engineering only, and its not really a challenge just a timing element. yes you will be able to trade leveled cards (I would assume for greater value) Time varies depending on the card, its tracked on all copies in the deck being played. Animations... mmmmmmm

Yes, as I mentioned the rewards are level specific in the chests, and the duplicate (non-trade able stuff) issue should be solved shortly

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:39 PM

Sadly no the stats will not be tracked until the DB feature is in the game, sorry (this one pains me, its super sub-optimal but unavoidable)

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Got a good one - can we get a Friday (or alternate) update on guild features? I know that no dates can be given or anything, but clarification on what the guild bank does, etc... Potentially teasers for new additions to the existing plans, regretful mentions to features that may have been stripped or delayed...

Also, will there still be priority registration for names somehow? Would hate to deal with all the 'paperwork' over a stolen name.

GreyWorm
11-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Will your avatar be a PVE/PVP card? :)

jonsnow2000
Oh Cory I was wondering about the "Pro Player" tier exclusive tournament - any news about that? I assume it is being held back by the instability of the large scale tourneys?

Cory_Jones
Oh, that reminds me.

On record-keeping: Are draft-records and constructed records going to be kept completely separate in terms of overall rating when that stuff starts mattering?

Yes, the goal is to have several different types of ranking

syphonhail
Sadly no the stats will not be tracked until the DB feature is in the game, sorry (this one pains me, its super sub-optimal but unavoidable)

This seems like you will have to rewrite the card manager as, right now, you can't select specific cards to go in the deck. Is this a huge project to implement or is the card sorting something that piggy-backs on the code you have already written to identify singular cards on the AH?

That is, this seems like a non-trivial task that affects other parts of the client in a drastic way.

Trothael
11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Is there any update on the weekly Creatures of Entrath series that was promised during the Kickstarter? I'm hungry for more story/lore.

Roy_G
11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
How much gold can we expect to get from the arena in the beginning and later from dungeons and raids?What will it be used for?

BenRGamer
11-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Something I had a suggestion about the other week, in an effort to help bug test sets and patches in preparation for release, how about something I've seen other MMOs do, a Beta Test server?

That is, perhaps have a random subset of VIPs every month chosen to be able to download a second, beta, client, testing out upcoming patches and sets, after signing an NDA of course. It'd act a lot like the alpha did, a full playset of the currently tested cards, free tournaments when you want to test them, et cetera, but nothing on that actually affects your main account

fido_one
11-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Any thoughts on allowing AAs, if in your permanent ownership, to be subbed into limited tournament play? A.k.a., if I have 2 AA baby yeti's, I can toggle a switch that says 'use AAs first' and when I pick a few more yeti's in draft I construct my deck with the AAs.

In a thread on this before, people also asked if the same sort of thing could happen for some double-back statistics...

schild
11-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Yes, the goal is to have several different types of ranking

So if I play all of my constructed matches on a different account from my core draft account, that won't hurt an overall ranking?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Thank you so much for Baby Yeti AA :)

Questions

1) Is there a limit how many times per day i can play in Arena ?

2) VIP Tournament this month is constructed if set 2 is out is set 2 allowed for the constructed VIP tournament ?

3) Any plans on making one Free Mulligan rule for PvE play only ? It seems a lot of new players really don't like Paris Mulligan and that crowd is going to be more into PvE, so it might be a good idea to try that out.

Thank you Cory you rock. :)

1. good god... NO (until we finish the "quarter slot" USB device, then you have to keep pumping quarters in like the good old days!)

2. YES!

3. Not really I think its in a good place right now, again PVE will be the place you see us experiment the most, so if something doesn't feel right or could be better we will certainly try it in PVE

Rendakor
11-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Will gold rewards be removed from Tournaments and/or Proving Grounds with the launch of Arena? Chark had mentioned ages ago that gold from PVP was only temporary, and I'm not sure if a) that's still the plan and b) Arena is enough PVE to justify the removal of gold from PVP.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:47 PM
When will we get answers ?? - Soon?

VERY soon!

knightofeffect
11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
This seems like you will have to rewrite the card manager as, right now, you can't select specific cards to go in the deck. Is this a huge project to implement or is the card sorting something that piggy-backs on the code you have already written to identify singular cards on the AH?

That is, this seems like a non-trivial task that affects other parts of the client in a drastic way.

There is actually evidence of this in the client already. When you go to ingame mail cards to other players it does explode a stack of cards and shows that you can X number of individual cards in different decks.

IE apparently I was using 12 seperate copies of solitary exile across 3 decks.

Zyion
11-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Are there any plans to eventually create animated card sleeves? If so, are you going to release a spinning blue wheel sleeve to commemorate the first few stress tests?

AstaSyneri
11-03-2014, 03:57 PM
AA Baby Yetis are great, but how about those Blue Wheel of Death sleeves (animated or not) for those players who participated in the 128+ free "tournaments"? ;-) Will they ever come?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Thank you for this Q&A opportunity. Transparency can be a double-edged sword, and even the most information-rich efforts tend to be met with criticism from eager fans who demand to know MOAR! I really appreciate your efforts to keep all of us in the loop.

Some Questions:

1) Multiple accounts - Back during the KS, word on the street was that certain features (notably the 1-year drafts) wouldn't stack, so many folks redeemed codes on different accounts. Then, things were allowed to stack, leaving some folks in multi-box limbo. Before account codes were a known feature, it was said we'd have a limited window to merge accounts. Nothing more on this has been stated.

Will we have a chance to merge accounts, even for a limited-only or support-ticket-required window?

2) Sleeves and the Wheel of Fate - If you roll sleeves on the WoF, awesome! However, all subsequent results grant nothing but a paid spin. We've heard rumors that this will be corrected, either via a line of code that automatically redirects this outcome to a new WoF result, or by having dupe sleeve rolls award a consolation prize (even just a free re-spin).

What is the ultimate plan for duplicate WoF sleeve rolls?

3) Gold!! - We've heard that Gold will be used to spin chests, acquire cards on the AH (both of which it does), and will further be "the primary currency of PvE". We have heard, to some extent, that it will be involved in upgrading keep defenses and other aspects of the PvE experience. But it would be nice to know a little more about the role of Gold in PvE development, so that we can better decide if it is worthwhile to hoard it now, or go ahead and spin those $30k Legendary chests.

In a big picture sense, what will we be able to spend our gold to do?

4) Any chance you could spoil the actual ATT/DEF and abilities of the WoF PvE cards? Bonus points if you can reveal the funtions of the PvE equipment also available on the WoF.

Thanks again!

wow, this isn't a simple set of questions

1. A bit confused by this question, I thought we sort of removed all the barriers from doing what you want, (and had a codes based system) it should be pretty easy to get all your stuff on one account with mail at this point. Let me know what it is you need specifically and we will see what we can do.

2. Ya, it should be fixed shortly, it will simple re-roll if it hits something you already have that is not open to trade (sleeve)

3. WOW, ya this could be its own article, gold is used in a BUNCH of places, again something that deserves to be covered in depth (something we can do a later date)

4. I don't want to spoil the chests or WOF stuff, it takes the fun out of it... AND you can expect asset bundling in our next full patch, this will not only help everything load MUCH faster, it will allow me to hide the goodies :)

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:00 PM
this will not only help everything load MUCH faster, it will allow me to hide the goodies :)

I love the idea of faster loading, but this is pure evil. I always check everything when a new patch comes, because I love those goodies! :(

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:02 PM
With the release of Set 2 hopefully coming, you are now two sets of equipment into PVE without us having a chance to play it yet. Are equipment items going to be less complex/interesting and more standardized, are there any sacrifices being made there?

No I think its all still looking VERY cool and splashy (clearly there is a range)
we have talked about a level of variance on how many pieces of equipment each card has, and we may range it from 1-3 for each card, I don't want to have to force a design that doesn't feel right. The equipment is one of the most innovative things about HEX and something we will make sure is signature part of the game.

Kuzimo
11-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Question: Is there a plan to fix the timer so it does not run during my opponents turn? Or is the way it behaves currently is as it is intended?

Question: Is the UI in its current state final?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 04:05 PM
Will you adopt me?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Will dungeon crawler tier backers get anything come arena time

Yes the current plan is to implement the rewards :)
Double the loot from the boss battles!!!

Rokku
11-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Will PvE have distinct game boards that look like locations during a dungeon? E.g. Battling the kraken on a ship actually has the board looking like planks of wood on a ship with some wave animations splashing against it.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Are.there currently any plans to put in a ranked ladder? If so would it be like LoL or can you give any details?

yes, for sure!, again I don't want to do a disservice to some of these important initiatives by giving a quick answer, this deserves a long article.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm going to illegally have printed a hard cover of Christie Goldens hex book if you do not provide a print on demand hard cover option for me. Please do not make me a criminal. Thank you.

No plans for a printed version at this point... all digital

don't blame me for your wicked criminalism... also a story!

When I was in charge of licensing at Blizzard I would get AT LEAST one call a week from a random Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream shop, always with the same question... "can we put this ORC picture on 12 year old Jimmies Birthday ice cream cake?" I of course would HAVE to say... "no, we cannot authorize the use of our IP for Jimmies birthday ice cream cake" BUT if Jimmies MOM had done the image on the cake what would have happened? Would the cops show up to the party? or would everyone have just enjoyed delicious ORC flavored ice cream cake... no harm no foul, as a fan you can skirt some of this stuff if its one time use and just for you... unless I catch you personally! then I will throw your birthday cake on the ground! (just kidding I don't like making children cry)

Saeijou
11-03-2014, 04:21 PM
what does a cory jones do for breakfast? :)

Diesbudt
11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
No plans for a printed version at this point... all digital

don't blame me for your wicked criminalism... also a story!

When I was in charge of licensing at Blizzard I would get AT LEAST one call a week from a random Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream shop, always with the same question... "can we put this ORC picture on 12 year old Jimmies Birthday ice cream cake?" I of course would HAVE to say... "no, we cannot authorize the use of our IP for Jimmies birthday ice cream cake" BUT if Jimmies MOM had done the image on the cake what would have happened? Would the cops show up to the party? or would everyone have just enjoyed delicious ORC flavored ice cream cake... no harm no foul, as a fan you can skirt some of this stuff if its one time use and just for you... unless I catch you personally! then I will throw your birthday cake on the ground! (just kidding I don't like making children cry)

Will you make me a hex style Birthday cake, baked by your own hands?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:23 PM
1. Where do you get your awesomeness?

2. How can I get to be as awesomeness?

3. Does it come with a battery, for awesomeness re-charging?

1. Satan
2. Deal with Satan
3. AAA (its uncomfortable but at least its small)

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Hard drugs, obviously. Yes, he is totally addicted to pancakes with all the toppings. If he doesn't get his fix of pancakes, he cancels a dungeon.

Phenteo
11-03-2014, 04:25 PM
1. Satan
2. Deal with Satan

WHA? You told me it was a 9-Volt!!!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
Will we get more lore information/side stories or something about Entrath or the races prior to the novel and full fledged PVE that I assume has a story(ies)?

well, the Novel is coming shortly (damn me just need to finish my foreword) so that will be the first big chunk of lore

outside of that probably not, the PVE is where we really explore it.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:30 PM
What are thoughts on the shuffler? Do you think there is room for improvement?

It keeps coming up because obviously no one enjoys seeing a no shard / all shard opening hand, or mulliganing into one. And with all the new players around now we have new people going through the experience and starting the whole debate over again. I know there are arguments on all sides of the 100% random vs eliminating edge cases vs full on weaving spectrum and each has valid points. Would like to hear your thoughts :)

I have gone over it multiple times with the engineering team, its random... full stop. not sure what I can do make this better for people

I thought the idea of a shuffle "button" with animation and "cut" your opponents deck was cool, but when I suggested it to Chris he looked like he was going to hit me, so I let it drop :)

maybe I will push it in the future...

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
I have gone over it multiple times with the engineering team, its random... full stop. not sure what I can do make this better for people

I thought the idea of a shuffle "button" with animation and "cut" your opponents deck was cool, but when I suggested it to Chris he looked like he was going to hit me, so I let it drop :)

maybe I will push it in the future...

...I would pay money to see a reenactment of this. Please. *Picturing the face*

hammer
11-03-2014, 04:31 PM
Any update on the Child's Play Sleeve from the Neo and Cirouss Stream. Do all closed beta account receive the sleeve and when will it drop (pun intended) :D

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 04:32 PM
1. Satan
2. Deal with Satan

Hmm. Is there a non-obivous number where I can call him? Or is it just (666) 666-6666?

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Any update on the Child's Play Sleeve from the Neo and Cirouss Stream. Do all closed beta account receive the sleeve and when will it drop (pun intended) :D

Oh, nice one Hammer - my guess is with set 2, and everyone with accounts, but official word incoming I hope! :D

AdamAoE2
11-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi Cory,

Thank you so much for this Q&A. This is honestly the first game I have been a part of where I feel I can communicate directly with the developer team and feel like my feedback is heard. Thanks for that!

I have two questions for you:

1) Does the arena have alternate difficulties, or is it more of a "one-size-fits-all?"

2) You are in a tournament where the prize is an alternate art, extended art, FOIL Princess Cory. The tournament is single elimination and you are up against the toughest competition in the game. When you bust your first pack, what card would you want to see staring back at you? Your go-to draft card, if you will.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:37 PM
How has the apprentice program been going?

good, rounds one is over

we ended up with one full time hire for HEX (Ryan)

Skirovik
11-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Are there plans to fix the timer issue? Right now, about 30-50% of my total clock time runs down during times that I do NOT have priority or a button or anything. This means when I spend about 35 seconds actually having my turn I end up losing closer to 60+ seconds per turn (or worse) on my clock. Is this being worked on?

wolzarg
11-03-2014, 04:42 PM
If you got a single redo on one of the kickstarter promises is there anything you would remove or change?

What are your most disliked cards in set 1 and set 2 for any reason, please specify reason.

What is your favorite art from set 1 and from set 2?

PS.
I love your positivity and energy its so infectious i just want to run a marathon and hug people every time i see a video of you talking about your passion for the different features.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Great stuff Cory! Thanks a lot for this post.

You said throw questions so here I go:

When we were at gamescom together you said I will be allowed to stream from there, offer still stands? ;)

But much more important: No one is accepting any of my fast food challanges when I am the first time in America... will you? ;D

Cirouss

YES and YES, although I have no idea what the fast food challenge is... first to 350 lbs.?

:)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Yay for arena coming closer to us. I really hope it can come this year.
Im not sure if it have been asked or discussed before, but theres any plan to bring the new AI (arena lvl AI) before AI release so PvE players can play vs the provding ground AI for any kind of reward? I understand as it is now theres no point on giving a reward for wining vs it.

Currently no, its all sort of focused on Arena (but I think it will give you everything your looking for)

Obliviate
11-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Hello. I was wondering if you have plans for some type of monthly subscription model? I unfortunatley discovered this game late and missed KS. Feeling pretty left out ATM and don't like that the only way to support the game is buying in-game currency.

It was said in another thread about possible multi-account exploitation being the reason for not having one that gives packs like the VIP subscription, but what about one for one or two account bound tournament entries or something more clever?
-Obliviate

Loregoyle
11-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Sorry to hijack Cory's thread, but I am currently working on doing a short write-up profiling 8 key characters (one per race) that appear as unique cards in Shattered Destiny, similar to the ones from Set 1 (https://hextcg.com/story/characters/). Stay tuned.

[dives back into lore hole]

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Cory, thanks for this thread :) My 3 main questions right now:

Alternate formats in the client

From my layman's perspective, it seems like you could enable alternate formats like the one from the "Rock League" without expending too much development time. It would be very helpful especially for newer players if they had a way to play Proving Ground matches where they know they can't get stomped by players with top tier decks. Any chance we will see this implemented within the next few weeks?

"Budget" Constructed Tourneys

Are you considering a "budget" tourney variant for the constructed queues? I feel the main reason why the constructed tourneys are so neglected is the fact that it is very intimidating to spend 300-500 Plat when most players are not really confident about their decks. Is there any chance you guys will implement a budget constructed tourney that costs 50-100 Plat to enter? Obviously the payouts couldn't be much, but I'm sure lots of players would still flock to them.

Arena

If you hope to release Arena in december, it seems that you already have the specifics mostly set in stone. Will we finally get to use all that stuff collecting dust in our stash from the Wheels of Fate? In general, anything you can tell us about the Arena would be much appreciated.

1. Alternate formats are currently back burner (as I have mentioned)
2. Yes, Chark and I are working on that now
3. Yes, all the WOF stuff will be in game (along with chest opening)

Airdale
11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Anything in place for a card management system for collectors. Meaning: in real life most people have their play decks, but they also have a binder that has all the cards in order by collector number and there are blank spots for the cards that are still missing. would be cool to have something like that in game so we can see what cards are need and have.

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the Anagram!

Thanks Phenteo for pointing it out (I had not noticed)

Skirovik
11-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Oh, also - AA Baby Yetis totally made my day! :D

<3

Haha yeah nice touch on the anagram.

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:51 PM
Anything in place for a card management system for collectors. Meaning: in real life most people have their play decks, but they also have a binder that has all the cards in order by collector number and there are blank spots for the cards that are still missing. would be cool to have something like that in game so we can see what cards are need and have.

Technically in and functioning - theres an option to display cards you don't own yet. Eventually it would be great to have a more... Complete version, maybe in the profile, with a proper binder-style layout. With options to display AA's next to or instead of standard arts? Would be neat.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Out of all of the features promised during the KS(Double backs, 40 dungeons, Guilds, Tablet support, etc.) which has been the most difficult to implement from a technical view point? Are there any promises/stretch goals you wish you hadn't made?

wow good question, I think the 40 dungeons in just raw size is going to be big one (luckily they are done at this point in terms of design, its just finishing the engineering so we are in good shape)

the one thing I would have changed in terms of promises would be HEXCON...

I would still do it, but I might set it up differently, it represents a logistics nightmare, as its impossible to plan a convention without an actual headcount, and if I assume EVERYONE is coming I could end up with a huge empty event (a total waste of money and a disaster), the problem is if I ask everyone that CAN come if they will be coming they will all say yes (why wouldn't you) and then just not come :(

the only thing I can think of doing is offering an "alternative" reward if you don't want to attend HEXCON, that way I can get a close to accurate headcount.

also if you RSVP then don't come I replace all your AE cards with pictures of princess Cory in a bikini!

done, and done!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Are there plans for a tougher AI with the Arena release? Currently, its still making some questionable decisions.

Yes, Chris is hard at work on it and it will be VERY challenging

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 04:59 PM
wow good question, I think the 40 dungeons in just raw size is going to be big one (luckily they are done at this point in terms of design, its just finishing the engineering so we are in good shape)

the one thing I would have changed in terms of promises would be HEXCON...

I would still do it, but I might set it up differently, it represents a logistics nightmare, as its impossible to plan a convention without an actual headcount, and if I assume EVERYONE is coming I could end up with a huge empty event (a total waste of money and a disaster), the problem is if I ask everyone that CAN come if they will be coming they will all say yes (why wouldn't you) and then just not come :(

the only thing I can think of doing is offering an "alternative" reward if you don't want to attend HEXCON, that way I can get a close to accurate headcount.

also if you RSVP then don't come I replace all your AE cards with pictures of princess Cory in a bikini!

done, and done!

Just delay it for 2 years, I am sure Colin will have offered to fly everyone in the community by then. :p

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Have you decided anything regarding implementing asynchronous tournaments?

we HAVE! we actually have it designed and tested (its a twist on the limited concept), we hope to get this in sooner than later (target is December)

MythicFishmom
11-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Hey Cory, Thanks for doing this! I have one question we (the Hextechs) are hosting a tournament the 22nd of November. Is there a possibility of set 2 before that date. If you can't answer directly a scale of 1-10 would be fine ;) again thanks for doing this!

Aradon
11-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Just delay it for 2 years, I am sure Colin will have offered to fly everyone in the community by then. :p
Quoted for truth.

And I keep hearing nothing but good news. I'll quote myself from another thread: "Cory is a man of unrelenting promises and optimism!"
If everything is in here by the end of December, it'll be the best Christmas ever :)

bofedy
11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Cory you have gave us ah data in the past is it possable to give us the data of how meny of each card is out in hex I.E. as in theres 100k baby yetes in hex but only 70k of etenal youth. :)

I would love to know what are the most common and rare of each ranity

Xenavire
I agree Aradon - if everything lands in this exact 'rough timeline', we have exciting times just ahead, and that means we can crack out our drooling buckets.

However... As much faith as I have in the team, this might be a little bit too much crammed into a short timeline, so I expect a few items being shifted out of necessity. Shame, because damn, thats a tasty timeline. :D

magic_gazz
Every time I read a page there is a new page lol

I have a question.

On the box below your champion there appear to be slots, some are use already (champ ability and number of charges).

Are the other slots for something?

ziggarius
11-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Every time I read a page there is a new page lol

I have a question.

On the box below your champion there appear to be slots, some are use already (champ ability and number of charges).

Are the other slots for something?

In PvE, champions have multiple charge abilities, not just the one like in PvP. I imagine they're for that.

ksetrat
11-03-2014, 05:11 PM
With the impending release of set 2, and then the beginnings of the PvE content, will there be sections of the Arena (and other aspects of the PvE) that will have loot tables for just set 1, and another section for set 2? Or will the Arena offer items for both set 1 and set 2?

If you can offer any details about the type of a loot table for the encounters (and well, info on the encounters overall) that would be awesome. I have no issues sitting in the station for the Hype Train to announce its boarding process. *nods*

Thank you so much to Cory and the rest of the HEX team for doing such an amazing job. Both on stage and behind the curtain.
Can't wait for the set 2 launch and Arena.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:11 PM
The HexTCG Twitch Channel having streamers on has been an excellent step in the right direction.

For many of us Hex Streaming has become a major segment of what keeps Hex entertaining.

My question is, what are the plans for that channel going forward, and will it be further expanded to other streamers/time slots?

we will actually have been working on a schedule and hope to add fun varied content, focus on PVE or limited etc.

its one of the places I think HEX can really shine, so I would look to more our providing more content in the future.

I would actually like to start participating in the future :)

fitzle
11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Thank you for this Cory!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Cory, I have a fun one... No need to name names, but a lot of community members go above and beyond. With that in mind, do you have candidates for the next Exalted, and if so, when do you think you might announce a new addition?

EDIT: Oh, and I am surprised no-one asked about blue wheel sleeves. :p

Not yet, our community is an embarrassment of riches, I literally have friends in the industry asking how we maintain such a positive community, its blowing their mind. I think it becomes pretty obvious when someone has really taken it upon themselves to help build HEX not just participate. that level of ownership is pretty special and really makes me feel like we have to recognize these partners :)

Mahes
11-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Indeed,

Thank you

Cory I promise not to complain this week about the lack of new information in the Friday update. This has been equal to about 4 months of news letters.

PentaChills
11-03-2014, 05:19 PM
we will actually have been working on a schedule and hope to add fun varied content, focus on PVE or limited etc.

its one of the places I think HEX can really shine, so I would look to more our providing more content in the future.

I would actually like to start participating in the future :) Are you free Friday, around 4 PST? I know a guy who needs a draft partner. ;-)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Dunno if the Q&A is still going on, but will the Collector's get their special AAs when the set releases, or some undetermined later point?

My Set 1 AAs will be paying for all of my Set 2 singles. Mostly. I'm hoping I can continue this trend. Collector forever!

yes, the plan is for set 2 Collector AA cards to drop with the launch of the set :)

Collector tier... VALUE!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi Cory is it possible for the weekly updates to include how set 2 and arena are tracking? Nothing predictive just high level progress over past week.
E.g.
Set 2: Fixed 5 bugs found 3 more with total 11 still open.
Arena: All encounter decklists complete. Finalising boss charge powers. Still tuning PvE equipment.

not a bad idea, I think it might be misleading as some of the "stats" in the end are not perfectly predictive

let me discuss it with the team :)

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
not a bad idea, I think it might be misleading as some of the "stats" in the end are not perfectly predictive

let me discuss it with the team :)

I know some certain people that would love a little more info like this. I am totally not hinting cryptically or anything. :p

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:25 PM
cory would you care to spoil a pve card from the frost ring? Or alternatively an opponent? Or really, anything? ;-)

yes, yes i would!

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:28 PM
yes, yes i would!

My god, is that sexy embellishing on the card? Is that how we can identify PvE from PvP? Because... Daaamn, +1 I approve.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:29 PM

1. pretty high, we hope to have a sealed Asynch up and running in December
2. I am going to guess 20+ hours
3. we have been pretty good I think in trying to make it work for everyone, sadly it impossible to get it in a place where everyone is served, I think the weekend comment is fair but sadly its the best solution :(

Scammanator
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
PvE Spoiler hype!!!

Is Chaostouched different from Voidtouched?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
My god, is that sexy embellishing on the card? Is that how we can identify PvE from PvP? Because... Daaamn, +1 I approve.

oh ya, Tyler strikes again, yes that is the PVE embellish :)

bootlace
11-03-2014, 05:31 PM
A bit late to the party but in case you make it this far the question I'd like to ask:

I appreciate the work done in the pass priority area and it's definitely a step in the right direction. Are there any plans to introduce a true "End the turn" button (skips everything, even the end of turn step) . It would save some of us a lot of time and I can see it being especially useful in PvE.

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
oh ya, Tyler strikes again, yes that is the PVE embellish :)

Well, pat him on the back, because I love it, and its completely obvious. Best of both worlds.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:32 PM
So then it looks like no pve until 2015?

I don't think anyone would be surprised by that, but just for clarification.

No, Arena is PVE and its planned for Dec. 2014 (maybe I should have made that more clear... sorry)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Will crafting come with arena? I'm covering the ears of all my zodiac shamans so you can answer safely

poor poor zodiac shaman... he can keep the Paladin of Naagaan company :)

no crafting will not be in with Arena its a bit later

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:35 PM
Oh! Right, while I remember - are you considering a date-shift for the December VIP weekend? Its going to be horrible for most people to try to attend, and utterly painful to inflict on the devs... A week earlier or later would probably be wise, so is this being discussed?

I would hate to be one of the only people playing, at the sacrifice of dev members holiday time. :(

Airdale
11-03-2014, 05:36 PM
Cory, are you going to do a player tournament in which the winner gets to play you for a cool prize or just bragging rights

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Roughly how far ahead are sets being worked on internally? Is set 3 being coded already? Set 4 or maybe even 5 already being designed?

3 IS being coded, and 4 and 5 are in design!

that's right Ben is actually working on set 5 already

issowi
11-03-2014, 05:39 PM
As the company is private these questions are probably not going to be answered, but I'll try anyway.

What is the financial status of the company?
Is the revenue stream where you anticipate at this point in time?
Are you over/under spending based on the revenue levels?
How much is left from the Kickstarter funding now that it is pushing almost 1.5 years?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Will you ever open another fortune cookie again?

Are chests still going to be separated by set number?

hahaha, so you follow my twitter I take it (@coryhudsonjones)

I will not let baked goods stop my positivity!

yes, each set gets a new set of chests with new rewards :)
the chest have a small cosmetic difference in look between sets, and a complete change in appearance between block, so the theme can inform the visual design (how cool is that!)

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
1. You had the apprenticeship for the design side of things. Is there a chance you might have one for the lore side of things, so a certain awesome writer might get another chance at working with one of his personal gods/heros?

2. Aaaaaany other cards you can spoil? :)

Voormas
11-03-2014, 05:42 PM
You're a person with a million plans so I'm sure my assumptions have some basis in fact but I was wondering if you could expand a bit on where the game would have to be for you guys to run live regional events like you do at GenCon but for other countries

Come to Australia is what I'm trying to get at :p

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Are there any plans to encourage F2P players to give it a go & invest in HEX?

For example, First time purchase bonus, limited time offers, new player bundles etc etc. Looking at the most successful F2P games like Dota 2 or League of Legends or Hearthstone - they all have these incentives to encourage people to take the dive and become paid players. Maybe HEX could give out a Sleeve for first purchase or an exclusive non-tradeable starter deck or AA card - something that isn't too easily exploited.

something non-trade-able maybe, but to be clear my first priority is the value of your collection. I will not garbage the game up with FTP nonsense. I have been considering writing something up about the game and what we mean by FTP (a term I am strongly considering dropping when referencing HEX)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:43 PM
By popular request:

In addition to the AA Yeti, is there a possibility of a more... usable closed beta reward. Like a non-animated Blue Wheel sleeve, with nothing but the wheel in the middle?

hmmm....

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 05:45 PM

hmmm....

Blue Wheel Sleeves CONFIRMED!

Cory_Jones
Thank you for all the answers, and spoilers too!
Timestep Magistrate is quite the work of art, and somehow festive (unless that just me).

That certainly is a shocker - might have to revisit that big stack of gold & un-spun chests I have...

## New questions ##

Q1. Does Dungeon Crawler affect arena loot?
Kind of think not because arena =/= dungeon, but I have a vested interest in asking. :p

Q2. Are there some quirky card themes that anyone/everyone in the office would like to sneak into every set if possible?
E.g. a buffalo, a giant insect.

Q1. yes it will be (at least that's the plan)

Q2. hahaha, everyone has their favorite... but we are pretty rigid about what becomes a "thing" :)

schild
I have been considering writing something up about the game and what we mean by FTP (a term I am strongly considering dropping when referencing HEX)

do_it.gif

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:46 PM
This is the best AMA ever.

not really :)
but thanks

Rendakor
11-03-2014, 05:46 PM
something non-trade-able maybe, but to be clear my first priority is the value of your collection. I will not garbage the game up with FTP nonsense. I have been considering writing something up about the game and what we mean by FTP (a term I am strongly considering dropping when referencing HEX)Yes please. Lots of negativity going around because people are coming in with the wrong expectations.

yoyogod
11-03-2014, 05:47 PM
With PVE right around the corner, I was wondering when those of who couldn't make it to Gencon will be getting a chance at the Gencon mercenaries and AA cards.

Loregoyle
11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Is Chaostouched different from Voidtouched?

Voidtouched is being changed to Chaostouched.

Rendakor
11-03-2014, 05:50 PM
We've seen some cards mixing rules and flavor text (Mushwocky, Gortezuma); any chance those could be re-templated with a stronger separation between rules text and flavor? Gortezuma in particular is a little unclear in how he will interact with cards like Pheromones, and intuitive card templating is very important.

That sort of "fun" aspect seems like it would be better suited for PVE; it needs to be clear how cards function in PVP.

Gwaer
11-03-2014, 05:51 PM
something non-trade-able maybe, but to be clear my first priority is the value of your collection. I will not garbage the game up with FTP nonsense. I have been considering writing something up about the game and what we mean by FTP (a term I am strongly considering dropping when referencing HEX)

This might have been my #1 favorite response in this thread.

fuzzywuzhe
11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Hey Cory: Ninja Beta Sleeves?!?!?

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:55 PM
This might have been my #1 favorite response in this thread.

I have to agree with this. The FTP term brings a lot of baggage - Hex could do without that, even if it has FTP features. Maybe we can coin a new term, like Pay to compete, cheap to play? PTCCTP? :p

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Got a good one - can we get a Friday (or alternate) update on guild features? I know that no dates can be given or anything, but clarification on what the guild bank does, etc... Potentially teasers for new additions to the existing plans, regretful mentions to features that may have been stripped or delayed...

Also, will there still be priority registration for names somehow? Would hate to deal with all the 'paperwork' over a stolen name.

Like some of the other bigger feature questions... Guilds will have a spotlight article written when we have the materials put together to do a proper introduction. And yes we will have a program to give the Kickstarter people priority on guild naming.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 05:56 PM
Will your avatar be a PVE/PVP card? :)

maybe... :)

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
maybe... :)

Im pretty sure thats gonna be the BOss he is referring to =P

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
OK, it's official... I am going to be a 'sycophant' all month with all these brilliant replies. :D

asdf2000
11-03-2014, 05:59 PM
No, Arena is PVE and its planned for Dec. 2014 (maybe I should have made that more clear... sorry)

*cries with joy*

ty so much for doing this btw, we all appreciate it

Aradon
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I also agree with dropping the 'F2P' branding, especially at this point in time it's just confusing people. Then again, I'm also against 'MMOTCG' and for 'RPGTCG' instead, so my perspective is a bit different.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Oh Cory I was wondering about the "Pro Player" tier exclusive tournament - any news about that? I assume it is being held back by the instability of the large scale tourneys?

ya, we have had SO MUCH learning from the big test tournaments, we have re-done a bunch of the back end and should have this solved shortly. I hope at that point we can run the event. should be fun :)

asdf2000
11-03-2014, 06:04 PM
I also agree with dropping the 'F2P' branding, especially at this point in time it's just confusing people. Then again, I'm also against 'MMOTCG' and for 'RPGTCG' instead, so my perspective is a bit different.

with pve around the corner, i don't think it is inappropriate

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:07 PM

no, we had this in mind when the system was built it will be implemented when the double back stuff is in.

Enyeez
11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
I have already had a question answered, but I have another few, equally important.

With the increase in popularity of the community held tournaments, are there any news on when the best-of-three matches will be implemented ? (proving grounds)

Are there any plans for season events, Christmas, New Years, (Halloween ?) ?

And how are the player numbers after removing the requirement for beta keys ?

As previously stated, best AMA ever.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Is there any update on the weekly Creatures of Entrath series that was promised during the Kickstarter? I'm hungry for more story/lore.

total fail on my part, so many things...
just a bit down the priority list, but something we will get to...

I would satiate you with the lore of the Cockatwice! but its pretty explicit and this is a family forum...

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
total fail on my part, so many things...
just a bit down the priority list, but something we will get to...

I would satiate you with the lore of the Cockatwice! but its pretty explicit and this is a family forum...

18+ forum requested, just for that story!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Something I had a suggestion about the other week, in an effort to help bug test sets and patches in preparation for release, how about something I've seen other MMOs do, a Beta Test server?

That is, perhaps have a random subset of VIPs every month chosen to be able to download a second, beta, client, testing out upcoming patches and sets, after signing an NDA of course. It'd act a lot like the alpha did, a full playset of the currently tested cards, free tournaments when you want to test them, et cetera, but nothing on that actually affects your main account

already in the works (planning), it will be an invite only test server, open for limited times to get some nice bug testing (the kind you can only get from hundreds of players working together)

I would imagine this will be in place for set 3

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 06:14 PM
already in the works (planning), it will be an invite only test server, open for limited times to get some nice bug testing (the kind you can only get from hundreds of players working together)

I would imagine this will be in place for set 3

You probably should have kept that quiet until is was ready, now people will start requesting invites! :p

Cory_Jones
Any thoughts on allowing AAs, if in your permanent ownership, to be subbed into limited tournament play? A.k.a., if I have 2 AA baby yeti's, I can toggle a switch that says 'use AAs first' and when I pick a few more yeti's in draft I construct my deck with the AAs.

In a thread on this before, people also asked if the same sort of thing could happen for some double-back statistics...

great question, not something we have discussed

I will add it to our list of things to consider.

Cory_Jones
So if I play all of my constructed matches on a different account from my core draft account, that won't hurt an overall ranking?

it would, assuming there is a combined rating

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Will gold rewards be removed from Tournaments and/or Proving Grounds with the launch of Arena? Chark had mentioned ages ago that gold from PVP was only temporary, and I'm not sure if a) that's still the plan and b) Arena is enough PVE to justify the removal of gold from PVP.

arena should be enough for generating gold, and yes we will remove it from PVP

the_artic_one
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
You probably should have kept that quiet until is was ready, now people will start requesting invites! :p

They should invite only people who have submitted bug reports to the bug forum in the past.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Are there any plans to eventually create animated card sleeves? If so, are you going to release a spinning blue wheel sleeve to commemorate the first few stress tests?

no current plans for animated SLEEVES...

QuartZ
11-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Cory, can you share your thoughts about set 1 constructed meta?
How it was for you and the team to see what was going on? What did you guys predicted based on test/design and what was completely unexpected?

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
They should invite only people who have submitted bug reports to the bug forum in the past.

Well, in that case, I am a shoe-in. :p

Also, Cory, can this become a regular thing? Every 3 months or so, just a general, relaxed afternoon AMA? Monthly would be better, but may be too big of a commitment at this point, so we would settle for anything. :p

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Question: Is there a plan to fix the timer so it does not run during my opponents turn? Or is the way it behaves currently is as it is intended?

Question: Is the UI in its current state final?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Yes, we continue to work on the timer, like everything else we will continue to move it toward the intended execution.

No the UI is not final but it IS getting closer to it. think of the game as a NEVER ENDING work in progress... like other [POPULAR MMOS] the work is really never done, there is always more polish and new features to be had...

that's part of that excites me most about HEX :)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Will you adopt me?

yes, I am building a compound for anyone that wants to live with me, kind of like a town...

I'm calling it JONES TOWN, I think its a catchy name, should be a big success...

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
yes, I am building a compound for anyone that wants to live with me, kind of like a town...

I'm calling it JONES TOWN, I think its a catchy name, should be a big success...

Oh. Count me in, too! :D

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Will PvE have distinct game boards that look like locations during a dungeon? E.g. Battling the kraken on a ship actually has the board looking like planks of wood on a ship with some wave animations splashing against it.

my god, the very thought of it gives me a boner...

at some point this is what I want, I think we will launch with some more generic variant game boards (Ice, Fire, Machine, etc.)

then move to story specific boards in the future

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Starbucks for a Venti Black Ice Tea no water no sweetener... (then I add one Sweet and Low, to keep marching toward my inevitable cancer)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Will you make me a hex style Birthday cake, baked by your own hands?

yes, come to game night and I will make you a HEX cake (please give me 72 hours notice)

I will also need proof of "birthdayness"

Vorpal
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the road map, cory. I think that sounds reasonable and is about the level of detail one can expect.

After set2 and arena hit...what things might you look at next? Crafting? Opening chests?

Speaking of which, I'd love some info on what the various levels of chest might mean :)

cavench
11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Oh. Count me in, too! :D

Google jonestown before you join.

Rendakor
11-03-2014, 06:30 PM

Will there be Kool-Aid?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Hard drugs, obviously. Yes, he is totally addicted to pancakes with all the toppings. If he doesn't get his fix of pancakes, he cancels a dungeon.

mmmmm..... all the pancake toppings... like maple syrup... and heroin

yes I am addicted to pancakes...

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Google jonestown before you join.

I rescind my offer to join!!

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Dear Mr Jones,

We regret to inform you that you application to adopt N3rd4Christ has been denied.

Move Along!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:33 PM

No idea, everyone should bug @hexwilliam

N3rd4Christ
11-03-2014, 06:35 PM
I rescind my offer to join!!

Hello Gregzilla,

We would like to inform you that the application Mr Jones submitted to adopt you has been approved.

Enjoy your new dad!

L1ght
11-03-2014, 06:37 PM
So whats the story with Keeps?

Gregzilla
11-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Hello Gregzilla,

We would like to inform you that the application Mr Jones submitted to adopt you has been approved.

Enjoy your new dad!

NOOOOOO- Ehhh.... could be worse. Just avoid any Kool-Aid.

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Hi Cory,

Thank you so much for this Q&A. This is honestly the first game I have been a part of where I feel I can communicate directly with the developer team and feel like my feedback is heard. Thanks for that!

I have two questions for you:

1) Does the arena have alternate difficulties, or is it more of a "one-size-fits-all?"

2) You are in a tournament where the prize is an alternate art, extended art, FOIL Princess Cory. The tournament is single elimination and you are up against the toughest competition in the game. When you bust your first pack, what card would you want to see staring back at you? Your go-to draft card, if you will.

if nothing else we are accessible :) ...and we love you

1. yes there are 2 modes of difficulty
2. hmmm... often the bomb rare/legendary sets my compass for the draft, so it really depends, we have so many limited bombs. I love when I can go wild to catch all the "leftover" AAA cards like boulder brute and wild aura, I tend to go diamond often for all the removal. But in the end its always about reading the draft.

I will say I have "splashed" Pack Raptor with ONE wild resource :)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:44 PM
If you got a single redo on one of the kickstarter promises is there anything you would remove or change?

What are your most disliked cards in set 1 and set 2 for any reason, please specify reason.

What is your favorite art from set 1 and from set 2?

PS.
I love your positivity and energy its so infectious i just want to run a marathon and hug people every time i see a video of you talking about your passion for the different features.

1. see my answer about "HEXCON"
2. I can answer this with one word "invincible" I hate that key word
3. Pack Raptor (NOT alternate art)

ps...thanks! I love this game so much, its always pure joy to talk about it :)

Vorpal
Thanks for answering so many questions.

Regarding crafting...will we be melting down PvP cards and combining them with PvE ingredients to obtain other PvP cards?

Or can you eventually turn pve cards into pvp cards? I could see limiting it to having to melt down PvP cards serving as a useful brake on runaway card deflation.

Can you share more on what the vision is for that?

sukebe
Thank you for doing this, it has been both fascinating and awesome :-)

I have some questions on crafting that have come up on the forums in the past.

1: Will we be able to "break down" our excess pvp cards for crafting mats? If so will it give the same mats as a pve card of equal rarity or will pvp cards give unique mats?

2: Can pvp cards be crafted? I had though I heard/read somewhere that this was not going to be done but people have said otherwise on the forums.

3: Regardless of the answer to question 2 what do you think of allowing AA pvp cards to be crafted by using a combination of crafting mats + a copy of the normal art card (that is consumed in crafting the AA)? This way PVE players can craft things the PVP players want without affecting the number of that card available for trade/sale.

4: do you still plan to have certain items require formulas or schematics that need to be found in the game? If so, will these items be single use or once we find them can we use them as often as we can?

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Taking a break for a bit, but I will come back and keep answering questions :)

PentaChills
11-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Thank you so much for doing this thread, Cory. Sorry if I missed it, was busy with hexpardy just a moment ago... But do we have any information on whether or not best 2/3 matches are a thing we might see in the proving grounds?

Edit: Just saw the above.

Mahes
11-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the road map, cory. I think that sounds reasonable and is about the level of detail one can expect.

After set2 and arena hit...what things might you look at next? Crafting? Opening chests?

Speaking of which, I'd love some info on what the various levels of chest might mean :)

Opening chests starts with Arena. The levels of the chests can impact what a person can get. There are things that can only be acquired in primal chests as an example. I could try and find the quotes but this post is getting book like fast.

I went and found the quote:

"You can open them when arena hits
no spoiler, I want it to be a surprise, BUT I will say that the different levels of rarities have unique items you can ONLY get from that level of chest"

Estar1
11-03-2014, 07:07 PM
We can currently get 3 PVE cards : air elemetnal, water elemental and lighting elemental. Any chance of spoilers?

Mahes
11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
He spoilered one a ways back.

Thoom
11-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the thread, Cory. Reading all your responses has shot my hype level through the roof.

1. How would you rate your experience developing Hex using Unity? If you were starting the client again from scratch, would you still use it?

2. I don't expect a date or even a progress estimate, but has any work been done on the tablet client?

Hatts
11-03-2014, 07:10 PM
We can currently get 3 PVE cards : air elemetnal, water elemental and lighting elemental. Any chance of spoilers?

Spoiler: there is a good chance of there being an earth elemental.

WolfCrypt
11-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Will Set 2 release a new deck? I love Shin'Hare but in all honesty their not my first choice for a starter deck.

Svenn
11-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Will Set 2 release a new deck? I love Shin'Hare but in all honesty their not my first choice for a starter deck.
That's why there are 4 starter decks to choose from now? ;) I'm pretty sure they'll have new starters with future sets (not sure if Set 2 specifically) but either way, you won't get another free one and buying Starters is not recommended.

WolfCrypt
11-03-2014, 07:55 PM
To be honest none of the starting races are my first choice...

Hiddenshadow
11-03-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm not even sure if I've ever actually posted in the forums, i'm not much of a forum person I prefer interaction which is why i communicate a lot more in streams but I do have 1 question that's kind of a two-parter...

Part 1 - I haven't been able to discern if this question has a definite answer or not but will PvE be playable during down time in tournaments, like when getting a bye or in 128 mans and beyond that can have very long waits if you wreck or get wrecked.

Part 2 - If this is planned will it be possible to do so when arena is first released in December(hopefully) or will we need to at least initially choose between playing PvP or PvE?

BenRGamer
11-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Part 1 - I haven't been able to discern if this question has a definite answer or not but will PvE be playable during down time in tournaments, like when getting a bye or in 128 mans and beyond that can have very long waits if you wreck or get wrecked.

If I recall correctly, they mentioned yeah, that was the plan. But I'd be willing to bet that that function is on the backburner compared to actually getting it working and functional so they can official open Open Beta,

Rendakor
11-03-2014, 08:22 PM
PVE during downtime is certainly planned. Not sure it's coming with the Arena's first release though.

Xenavire
11-03-2014, 08:28 PM
If I recall correctly, they mentioned yeah, that was the plan. But I'd be willing to bet that that function is on the backburner compared to actually getting it working and functional so they can official open Open Beta,

Thats actually big news, that should please a lot of people, in a neat double whammy; open beta is no longer required for set 2/arena (I tried to hint at that being a strong possibility, guess the proof is in the pudding...) The second point is that formal open beta will seem to include arena for the FTP people, something that people have been requesting a lot.

Good news day? Best news day.

WolfCrypt
11-03-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a question no one seems to even bother talking about but which I'm dying to know. Are the PVP Champs exclusive to pvp or are those champs stage 1 for that race class and gender? Is Bun'Jitsu just you know himself or is he stage 1 for a male Shin'Hare Warlock? Are they NPCs that might be in pve or what??

fabriazp
11-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Just to be sure Cory, are the CHAMPIONS going to be released with every set or with every block? Is there any posibility in the future (ofc) to give a champ 2 charge powers in PVP? Also will gems be multicolored? a gem that activates when you meet the proper 2(or 3) thresholds it will require (BLOOD/DIAMOND/DIAMOND for example). Do you have an idea of how will be the tournament between HEX LA players and HEX NA players?. And please Can you please spoil the 2gems (major/minor) sapphire card? thanks in advance.

NoahBuddy
11-03-2014, 09:31 PM
cory, thanks for doing this Q&A. i can't remember where but while discussing the set 1 meta you mentioned there being another (or more?) tier 1 (i think) deck out there that has not seen play. since set 2 is almost here can you tell us what that deck is or at least share the key cards/interactions?

BlindMan
11-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Is there more work being done on the ability to pass priority until end of turn? Currently the 'Proceed to End Phase' button still requires you to pass priority to every action of the opponent, which allows your opponent to bleed your clock with meaningless actions.

I would love to see more options, including the ability to pass to everything until end of turn.

Thank you for all of your answers, this is fantastic!

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 10:07 PM

Yes this is planned, ghosted version of the cards, and I would like it to give you AH information when you roll over the card. (you would be able to see these cards an interface option)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 10:09 PM

hahaha, don't give him any ideas :)

Cory_Jones
11-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Hey Cory, Thanks for doing this! I have one question we (the Hextechs) are hosting a tournament the 22nd of November. Is there a possibility of set 2 before that date. If you can't answer directly a scale of 1-10 would be fine ;) again thanks for doing this!

7.85 of the time it launches on time, everytime