PDA

View Full Version : DC Promos Rant

Envoyofduels
11-06-2014, 06:00 PM
So as stated on here before, we would like another way to get promo cards besides the 2nd hand market. I understand that they are release as motive to get product early or to attend events. However I think that after a certain time there should be another way to get these promo besides overpriced(imo) resellers. With Starfire it is understandable, but with Flax.....I live in an area where the nearest event was about 6-7 hours away(thats a round trip, night & food just for a promo). I think I can speak for some people when I say "My money is here, give us another way"

Also I would love to get some DC DBG mat(s), but did not see any on the site and again with the limited supply and resellers.

Sorry for the rant, of course you know this

DimeDrl
11-07-2014, 01:51 AM
Promos seem like a never-ending problem for tabletop games. I ran into that problem with Fluxx recently until I realized that Fluxx sold blanks and I found a 100-pack of 8.5"x11" sticky photo paper for $19 on Amazon. [Link (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKV2H4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)]

I bought some blanks and printed passable proxy cards for my set rather than jumping through the hoops needed to get the official promos. The added thickness the printer sticker adds isn't noticeable when the cards are in sleeves. If promos continue to be an issue, I'm considering doing the same for a few other games, including DCDBG in the future when Justice Society of America Crossover Pack 1 releases since it's a 25 card set with 18 regular cards and 7 over-sized cards. I'll just use the cards in that set as if they are blanks to create proxies for hard-to-find promos and homebrew cards.

I created my own mats as well over on Inkedplaymats.com. They have photoshop templates that can be used to design your own playmat. It allowed me to add spaces for overflow cards for the line-up and a destroyed card pile.

ypai1217
11-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Promos seem like a never-ending problem for tabletop games. I ran into that problem with Fluxx recently until I realized that Fluxx sold blanks and I found a 100-pack of 8.5"x11" sticky photo paper for $19 on Amazon. [Link (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKV2H4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)]

I bought some blanks and printed passable proxy cards for my set rather than jumping through the hoops needed to get the official promos. The added thickness the printer sticker adds isn't noticeable when the cards are in sleeves. If promos continue to be an issue, I'm considering doing the same for a few other games, including DCDBG in the future when Justice Society of America Crossover Pack 1 releases since it's a 25 card set with 18 regular cards and 7 over-sized cards. I'll just use the cards in that set as if they are blanks to create proxies for hard-to-find promos and homebrew cards.

I created my own mats as well over on Inkedplaymats.com. They have photoshop templates that can be used to design your own playmat. It allowed me to add spaces for overflow cards for the line-up and a destroyed card pile.

I love this idea !!!

DimeDrl
11-07-2014, 03:44 PM
It saves so much energy and helps deter eBay price gouging. Just be sure to have a ruler with a hard edge and an exacto knife when taking this route.

Tiddley
11-07-2014, 05:14 PM
We are trying to make more of our promos available through BoardGameGeek store so you have the option of purchasing the promos separately.

Please visit http://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/all to view what promo cards are currently available. We are planning to send promo cards to the BGG store after about 6 months from release dates so please keep posted! Unfortunately, some promos have already been purchased and are not available at this time.

Envoyofduels
11-09-2014, 03:20 PM
We are trying to make more of our promos available through BoardGameGeek store so you have the option of purchasing the promos separately.

Please visit http://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/all to view what promo cards are currently available. We are planning to send promo cards to the BGG store after about 6 months from release dates so please keep posted! Unfortunately, some promos have already been purchased and are not available at this time.

May I ask why you don't sell them(or in the Future) on here?

Tiddley
11-10-2014, 06:25 PM
BoardGameGeek store allows for international shipping for the promo cards as our estore would not. We want to make the promo cards available to all customers, even those outside North America. So, our friends at BGG are able to make these available.

DimeDrl
11-10-2014, 06:54 PM
"International Shipping" would be a perfect Super-Villain card if there was ever a joke set released.

vbui0803
11-13-2014, 08:13 PM
BoardGameGeek store allows for international shipping for the promo cards as our estore would not. We want to make the promo cards available to all customers, even those outside North America. So, our friends at BGG are able to make these available.

I have a question about the Bane promo card available in forever evil pack. How would I get it? Do I just preorder it from any site like coolstuffinc or miniaturemarket? Or do I have to preorder it from cryptozoic website?

Matt_Hyra
11-13-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a question about the Bane promo card available in forever evil pack. How would I get it? Do I just preorder it from any site like coolstuffinc or miniaturemarket? Or do I have to preorder it from cryptozoic website?

Just buy the FE game from any place that has it in stock in December and it will be INSIDE the box. After that there could be a reprint that won't have it. It's only in the first printing.

billyr
12-17-2014, 12:18 PM
Any idea when starfire will be for sale again at bgg? Ive been checking everyday. I was fooled once a couple weeks ago when it said she was in stock but clicking the link brought me to felix faust instead.

kainbloodheart
12-17-2014, 01:18 PM
I don't understand this demand for been able to buy promos? The whole point of a promo item its a cool little exclusive thing you get, with first printings or pre-orders etc, that's not available in general sale.

Thegregwitul
12-17-2014, 03:50 PM
I think the demand is in response to the frustration at seeing eBay auctions where certain sellers have dozens of a single promo, which is meant to promote the game to prospective customers, that are instead sold for inflated prices. I've seen one seller from the Florida area sold around fifty Felix Faust promo cards for about $20 each last year. Once the cards became more readily available from Cryptozoic, the prices online dropped by more than half.

I'm all for promos, but it would make sense to perhaps consider a promo a timed release of sorts that become readily available to the masses once a set period of time passes, so that people who are not located near game shops that support the game can still enjoy the cards. This idea would be more for cards like Felix Faust as opposed to the first print character card promos, which can be obtained by just purchasing the game when it's initially released.

DimeDrl
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I don't understand this demand for been able to buy promos? The whole point of a promo item its a cool little exclusive thing you get, with first printings or pre-orders etc, that's not available in general sale.

It's a direct result of Not-So-Friendly Local Game Stores (NSFLGS) requesting promos only to turn around and sell them at inflated prices. There was a listing on eBay last year for the Felix Faust promo card and it was at $20. If you looked at the seller info for the listing, it was for a shop located in Florida and the listing showed over 25 available. OVER 25 of the promo available. The Felix Faust promo was given away FOR FREE in stacks of 12 to any FLGS looking to hold a DC deck builder organized play event as a prize for participants.

12 free cards per kit sold at $20 a pop is $240 (minus eBay fees and shipping) and a big **** up to customers. This is why the promos are in demand for sale and an issue for Cryptozoic. And it's already happening for the new "Gotham City Docks" promo for the new Crisis Expansion organized play kit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XGotham+Ci ty+Docks&_nkw=Gotham+City+Docks&_sacat=0

Look at the first listing. $15 for one card and more than 10 available.

Thegregwitul
12-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Yep, like I stated in my original post; I know for a fact that a game store owner in Florida sold at least 50 Felix Faust promo cards for $20 each, which equals $1,000.00 before paying eBay fees. Just ridiculous and a shame for someone to exploit the process and ruin it for everyone else by marking the card up to a ridiculous price.

Envoyofduels
12-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Yep, like I stated in my original post; I know for a fact that a game store owner in Florida sold at least 50 Felix Faust promo cards for $20 each, which equals $1,000.00 before paying eBay fees. Just ridiculous and a shame for someone to exploit the process and ruin it for everyone else by marking the card up to a ridiculous price.

I agree, I think there needs to be a system in place to prevent that from happening.

PS. I got my Gotham Docks for $8 when others were $20 @ the time