PDA

View Full Version : THe community...

Phoenixfire
11-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Im starting to feel like the community quality has started going downhill lately with all the free accounts being made,
I understand some are new and I won't hold that against them, i even offer then commons and uncommons for free when I can.

After the last few days between people making the sky is falling rants in general chat and me being severely cursed out by someone in the sealed because THEY didnt draw any diamonds, to point I had to block and report them.

Is there anything the community or HEX can do to prevent at least some of the bad weeds from entering the game?

Maybe make a credit card needed but not charged or something to weed out the kids?

Gwaer
11-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Chat quality in the client has definitely declined greatly. We really need the new chat interface with quick and easy ways to ignore people, as well as giving the nobles, and myself the ability to put people in chat timeout and stop them from talking for a while =P

Scammanator
11-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Maybe make a credit card needed but not charged or something to weed out the kids?

I want kids to play this game. It's an amazing game that I would have loved to have access to when I was younger. I have younger cousins that I would love to be able to invite to play once PvE is out and viable.

Kids get a bad reputation thanks to the new stereotype of the 10-year-olds with a sailor's vocabulary shouting into their microphones while playing Call of Duty.

Back when I was a Judging MtG tournaments, I'd see plenty of kids, and trust me when I say they were not the concern when it came to players creating a toxic environment. It was always older players who were to blame for that.

Gwaer
11-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't want to weed out the children either, and to be perfectly frank, I don't think kids are causing most of the problems. Also, not allowing people to chat until a certain event has happened doesn't seem like a good fit for this game, either. New people have questions, and those questions should not be ignored, and it should not be made more difficult for them to be answered.

Frost3
11-21-2014, 02:10 PM
I sympathize with your plight, and am sorry you had to endure that. However.

Unless a rating needs to be put on the game, that would restrict age, i would rather not prevent younger minds from coming into this game. When i started 'the game that shall not be named' i was a little kid. I regard those experiences fondly, and believe that getting to play a tcg early on in life, primed me to find a game like hex. A game that caters to both my old nostalgia, my love of creativity, story telling, and innovation, and my adult need of having the game be more accessible.

As i have gotten older i know the stereotype of the teenage fps player with the mouth of a sailor has become popular. The truth is however any anonymity can give people the belief that they are safe from consequences when they attack other people.

I think the best solution is to try, as hard as we can, to respond to these things as maturely as possible. Sometimes people get mad and flip a lid so to speak. When they cross a line, report them, and let CZE figure out the correct discipline.

With a game like ours these types of players will likely never go away. We will always be free, and always be innovative. Free. Shiny. Very attractive qualities to the immature of all ages. If we support one another, build up our report with one another, and as a community demonstrate in a reasonable fashion the kind of community we want, we can then rebuke toxic elements in a fair but firm manner.

I believe that we can make this game a wonderful home for our family and friends. Perhaps even extend that notion into an online family, as some other mmos manage to do.

Xenavire
11-21-2014, 02:17 PM
I don't want to weed out children either. Credit card restrictions would be equally bad (since there are countries that make getting a credit card more trouble than it is worth).

What we need is better moderation - I appreciate everything that the nobles do, but they cannot police the ever increasing numbers that are playing. What we need is some dedicated support staff (similar to the blizzard employees) that will talk to both parties in an argument and take the correct action, as well as muting people who get overly belligerent and offensive in general chat.

That isn't to suggest I want everything to be strict, just the real nasty ones need to be dealt with so we have an understood standard to adhere to.

Gwaer
11-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Yea, it's definitely a fine line to walk. Too much moderation can be as big of a problem as too little. I do not envy their support team.

Pezzle
11-21-2014, 02:35 PM
No professional organization should be giving that kind of power to non-employees. This is a lesson that we have been taught untold times.

Xenavire
11-21-2014, 02:55 PM
No professional organization should be giving that kind of power to non-employees. This is a lesson that we have been taught untold times.

I don't think they should be non-employees - just get the Gameforge support staff to... Branch out a little, maybe? It would only take a couple of them at first, and it is something they could slowly ramp up.

plaguedealer
11-21-2014, 03:08 PM
There is a fine line between censorship though. If I make a statement that the game in its current form is not economically viable after a year, that is a opinion. If I start saying it every 2 minutes and spam it in general chat, then a mod should do something about it.

Xenavire
11-21-2014, 03:31 PM
There is a fine line between censorship though. If I make a statement that the game in its current form is not economically viable after a year, that is a opinion. If I start saying it every 2 minutes and spam it in general chat, then a mod should do something about it.

Exactly - thats why it would be the worst offenders (if any) being banned, and the rest getting warnings or short terms mutes. But of course that would be up to HexEnt and Gameforge to determine, not us, but we do need a guideline to follow.

With no moderation (or only the minor moderation we have now) people can get out of hand, and that isn't what we want new players (or existing ones for that matter) to see a lot of.

Pezzle
11-21-2014, 03:43 PM
I don't think they should be non-employees - just get the Gameforge support staff to... Branch out a little, maybe? It would only take a couple of them at first, and it is something they could slowly ramp up.

It really needs to be one organization, not two. Otherwise you end up with different teams with different standards, and then appeals and escalation and frustration.

Kami
11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
but we do need a guideline to follow.

I don't see why common sense is so difficult that people need guidelines. We shouldn't need to explicitly have a what's allowed/not allowed rule set.

Insulting people, homophobism, sexism, racism, xenophobism, etc. - Those should be obvious no-nos amongst others.

Heck, there was one time I was on and there was some guy talking about rape and bjs and the application of both to other players.

Guidelines are one thing but moderation should go beyond that and nip problematic players.

Phenteo
11-21-2014, 04:13 PM
We have staff members in chat daily to help regulate many of the issues you've seen in the community. There are a few trouble players but they make it seem more worse-off than it is because of how loud it is and that everyone is in the exact same chat room. As they are working on making a better chat system, we will have more robust tools.

We would like to ask that if you do see another player causing issues, please send in a report that way we can review their chat logs and take appropriate actions.

funktion
11-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I've definitely seen a handful of the same people (who obviously know better) actively spreading misinformation about the game to new players in cheat. It is a bummer that has become the new player experience for some people. There are a lot of new folks coming in and those folks are really important to the health of the game, to have their initial experienced soured is no Bueno.

Xenavire
11-21-2014, 04:49 PM
It really needs to be one organization, not two. Otherwise you end up with different teams with different standards, and then appeals and escalation and frustration.

I meant more that HexEnt and Gameforge write up guidelines to follow, and Gameforge enforces them (well, HexEnt obviously could too, but working off the resources already available it makes sense to start with Gameforge taking the lead.)

I don't see why common sense is so difficult that people need guidelines. We shouldn't need to explicitly have a what's allowed/not allowed rule set.

Insulting people, homophobism, sexism, racism, xenophobism, etc. - Those should be obvious no-nos amongst others.

Heck, there was one time I was on and there was some guy talking about rape and bjs and the application of both to other players.

Guidelines are one thing but moderation should go beyond that and nip problematic players.

Oh, of course anyone that is being a problem, even if there are guidelines in place that don't cover it, should be dealt with. But I mean, this is the internet - sadly, we are going to get people joining the game with very little common sense, or are only coming to piss people off (trolls). As long as we can have a standard in place to differentiate between those with real grievances, those who just need education, and those who are simply stirring the pot, it would be a big help. :)

As it is, I basically follow the CoC from the forums, since it seems to be good enough at this point. (Not that I would go around being toxic intentionally anyway, but better to be safe and not tick anyone off. :p)

Also, thanks for weighing in, Phenteo, its always nice to hear what is going on. I assume reports just go through the support site as usual?

Zomnivore
11-22-2014, 08:04 PM
I think trolls and the communities response to them has been fine.

Its always good to have someone test the waters with some BS, and have people pull together.

Bells
11-22-2014, 11:24 PM
You may not agree with it, but games like DOTA and League of Legends saw this problem coming a mile away and took early action to solve it. And you know what? It's not perfect, but it actually works.

Considering that the player base for Hex is smaller than that... i would suggest looking into that.

Chark
11-22-2014, 11:36 PM
You may not agree with it, but games like DOTA and League of Legends saw this problem coming a mile away and took early action to solve it. And you know what? It's not perfect, but it actually works.

Considering that the player base for Hex is smaller than that... i would suggest looking into that.

LoL didn't have behavioral psychologists working on behavior modification tools at the start of the game. LoL has only had that team and the tribunal for about 2 years. They also get the advantage of having enough money to hire PHDs and a team of a dosen employees to handle it. At least it was close to that level when I was there...

PhoenixMD
11-23-2014, 02:02 AM
Personally, I think the "/Ignore" button is sufficient enough to deal with the majority of trolls in any chat.
I have not seen many people with bad behavior in HEX tho.

YourOpponent
11-23-2014, 04:37 AM
I am fine with kids playing the game, but think they should have to use quick chat...I also think that players reported for offensive language though as a first offense should have to use quick chat (for awhile at least) and if they are chat spamming with quick chat then they are perma muted.

Xim
11-23-2014, 05:35 AM
I fail to see the negativity, granted I dont frequent the forums. But I play daily and the chat is always lively and polite more or less. After spending most of my time playing games like Destiny, TF2, and Chivalry. Its really refreshing to have polite conversation online. The best things I could offer would be an ignore button, heavy chat modding, and a little thick skin. If 95% of the players are nice to each other, the nasty ones would stand out that much more.

Maverickroll
11-23-2014, 05:59 AM
I've played off and on since Alpha first was opened up to backers (slacker tier, if you call that a tier).

Never experienced a problem with the community. Chat in-game always seems to have people being helpful answering questions (regular players, plus random devs). The forums seem light hearted enough, even the subreddit seems pretty kosher.

While I rarely ever draft or do tournaments, no one in random matches has ever raged at me in chat. Most people never say a word. If people do talk they usually say gg or glhf, maybe the occasional question about a card that was just played.

I could have been lucky thus far and not encountered anyone in a rage over losing, or trolling in chat. Thus far the community is top notch compared to most other online game communities.

Babz
11-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Plz add a selling tab would be cool. Bored about the wall street chat.

Thrawn
11-23-2014, 12:11 PM
I fail to see the negativity, granted I dont frequent the forums.

The forums and in game chat really aren't that negative except for the rare actual troll. Some people are just overly sensitive and feel the need to try and control everything or label someone as toxic just because they don't reply to "Good Luck" at the start of a match.

sukebe
11-23-2014, 02:57 PM
The forums and in game chat really aren't that negative except for the rare actual troll. Some people are just overly sensitive and feel the need to try and control everything or label someone as toxic just because they don't reply to "Good Luck" at the start of a match.

those who do not reply to the good luck have fun many people do are certainly not toxic, I must have missed where people said they were. They are merely a bit rude is all :-)

Thrawn
11-23-2014, 04:14 PM
I must have missed where people said they were. They are merely a bit rude is all :-)

I would argue it's not even rude, at all. Maybe I want to just play cards.

Wasn't said in this thread, but its' been brought up before. :)

sukebe
11-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I would argue it's not even rude, at all. Maybe I want to just play cards.

Wasn't said in this thread, but its' been brought up before. :)

when someone says hello, the only polite thing to do is respond. This doesn't mean people have to or should be punished if they do not but how it could be seen as anything but rude is a bit beyond my understanding. Especially since it only takes a simple "u2" to reply to it :-)

Sorry for the off topic post (or mostly off topic, it does involve the community)

Trothael
11-23-2014, 06:40 PM
how it could be seen as anything but rude is a bit beyond my understanding

Not everybody wants to be social all the time. For example, some people play video games to blow off steam, and when you're just trying to relax and mellow out; interacting with your opponent can seem like a chore.

It doesn't help that being "impolite" is also seen as being rude, because then it feels like responding to glhf is some kind of obligation that if you don't hold up then you'll be marked as an impolite person.

Xexist
11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
when someone says hello, the only polite thing to do is respond. This doesn't mean people have to or should be punished if they do not but how it could be seen as anything but rude is a bit beyond my understanding. Especially since it only takes a simple "u2" to reply to it :-)

Sorry for the off topic post (or mostly off topic, it does involve the community)
Sometimes I forget to even look in the chat window.

Thrawn
11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Sometimes I forget to even look in the chat window.

Exactly, first thing I do when the game launches is I close my chat window because it covers up too much relevant information.