PDA

View Full Version : DC Deck Building Game: Forever Promo is... (SPOILER ALERT)

N-Finite
11-22-2014, 08:37 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/20/bane-is-the-promo-card-for-cryptozoics-dc-comics-forever-evil-deck-building-game

Envoyofduels
11-22-2014, 12:09 PM
A couple days late but a nice promo.

sivartalappes
11-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Destroying a card I had to pay for for a measly 2 extra power? I feel like that's less than worth it.

N-Finite
11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Not if your trying to beat those Super Villains.

dhisson
11-23-2014, 07:11 AM
Will the promo cards be shipped in the box? Or will they be separate?

N-Finite
11-23-2014, 09:52 AM
In every first-edition printing of Cryptozoic's DC Comics Forever Evil deck-building game there will be a promo.

LexLuthorJr
11-23-2014, 11:40 PM
He's better than Constantine.

Like the blurb says, I see him being useful early in the game. Buy a Kick, then destroy it two or three turns later for the boost and buy a high-cost card early. After a little while though, he'll turn vanilla.

M_Bieniewicz
11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Even late game he guarantees being able to reach an additional +2 power from your drawn hand, which is almost always what is needed to grab the next Super-Hero on the stack.

SushiSquid
11-24-2014, 06:17 PM
There's a reason Constantine is generally considered bad (possibly the very worst) outside of Crisis mode: blowing up your victory points is a great way to lose. Constantine pretty much requires Magic, Signature Trenchcoat, and his hero card (or something else to look at his deck) to be good at all. Based on Bane's power, he seems like he'll only rely on buying cards from the destroy pile. We haven't seen those yet, but I have to assume stuff like Signature Trenchcoat or Hades are in this set. This makes me hopeful that he'll be at least a decent character to play.

Even late game he guarantees being able to reach an additional +2 power from your drawn hand, which is almost always what is needed to grab the next Super-Hero on the stack.
Yeah, this happens frequently enough that I could see him still being useful, but by at least mid-game other characters should be reliably getting power too. I agree with the others that Bane seems most useful early before the others get much use of their abilities.
But again, we haven't seen all of the cards in this set. Could be something that works well for him.

Matt_Hyra
11-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Does this update anyone's feelings on Bane?

And there are also Hero, Equipment, and Super Power cost 1 cards. Two copies of each in the main deck.

SushiSquid
11-26-2014, 07:49 AM

And there are also Hero, Equipment, and Super Power cost 1 cards. Two copies of each in the main deck.

Absolutely. :D
I kind of figured there would be cards for him. I just hope he isn't too reliant on specific cards like Constantine.

XavierTroy
11-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I like it. Should be a lot of fun to use.

DimeDrl
11-26-2014, 09:30 PM

....What's a zone? I'm guessing this is a new gameplay mechanic.

LexLuthorJr
11-27-2014, 02:07 AM
....What's a zone? I'm guessing this is a new gameplay mechanic.

I think it's just a simple way to say that you can destroy it from your hand, deck, discard pile, or in play.

DimeDrl
11-27-2014, 02:14 AM
would the simple way be to say "When you destroy this card in any place, gain 2 VP's."

"Zone" makes me think the new mechanic involves being able to destroy other players cards, as well as your own, at will. There are probably cards that read something like "when you play this card, destroy a card of cost 3 or less in any player's discard pile." Then you could use that card to destroy Emperor Penguin from someone else's discard pile for 2 VP. It fits the Forever Evil theme. Super-Villains being able to target other players cards for non-randomized destruction just seems villainous.

Joenacho
11-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the spoiler, liking the new mechanics and can't wait to play the set. :)

Matt_Hyra
11-27-2014, 10:11 AM
I think it's just a simple way to say that you can destroy it from your hand, deck, discard pile, or in play.

And top of main deck and Line-Up.

sivartalappes
11-30-2014, 09:48 PM

A little. lol

SushiSquid
11-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Now that I thin about it, that doesn't make me feel as good about Bane. And that's because these games are going to get mixed, by me and many others.

See, I keep just one deck for both Crisis and competitive modes, because we play both and I have no idea which it'll be on any given day until people decide. I'm not going to keep two decks for each purpose because I wouldn't have the cards for that. I am certain several Forever Evil cards will be finding their way into my deck. That card will probably not be one of them. It's a villain, but there are times those still get into your decks in Crisis, and that card is 100% worthless in Crisis mode, where VPs aren't a thing anyway. Assuming the other non-villain cards of 1 cost are similar, they also will not be seeing much use. I figure we'll do a game or two of Forever Evil by itself, but after that I'll work on the main deck, adding in FE cards.

Again, I'm hoping Bane doesn't rely on specific cards so much that he'll overly miss those ones.

Matt_Hyra
11-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Bane does not rely on specific cards. Her gets rid of things you don't need anymore in favor of higher value cards.
That is the only FE 1-coster that blows up to provide VPs. The other 3 have entirely different rewards.

Stryyder
12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Now that I thin about it, that doesn't make me feel as good about Bane. And that's because these games are going to get mixed, by me and many others.

See, I keep just one deck for both Crisis and competitive modes, because we play both and I have no idea which it'll be on any given day until people decide. I'm not going to keep two decks for each purpose because I wouldn't have the cards for that. I am certain several Forever Evil cards will be finding their way into my deck. That card will probably not be one of them. It's a villain, but there are times those still get into your decks in Crisis, and that card is 100% worthless in Crisis mode, where VPs aren't a thing anyway. Assuming the other non-villain cards of 1 cost are similar, they also will not be seeing much use. I figure we'll do a game or two of Forever Evil by itself, but after that I'll work on the main deck, adding in FE cards.

Again, I'm hoping Bane doesn't rely on specific cards so much that he'll overly miss those ones.

Honestly you probably aren't going to like Crisis mode with FE. Heroes and Villains are trading places, with villains having defense and being more beneficial, while heroes will have the attacks. Since Crisis pack 1 rules are more particularly "anti-villain" you'd either have to use house rules (something like FE villains count as heroes and vice-versa) or deal with extreme imbalance. I'd say more likely that we'll be getting a Crisis pack based around FE eventually.

IAmTheGreat
12-03-2014, 09:45 AM
So forever evil is already sold out on the cryptozoic site. When do they expect to get more copies in stock?

M_Bieniewicz
12-04-2014, 10:59 AM
We're expecting our next shipment in on Monday.

sivartalappes
12-05-2014, 11:28 AM
I preordered through my local game store. Picked it up just now. woot!

Stryyder
12-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Played 3 games last night, Bane definitely has potential. Here are my results:

Game 1
1st Bane (he didn't use the power much, but got some great cards early)
2nd Sinestro (me)
3rd Harley

Game 2
1st Deathstroke (me)
2nd Harley

Game 3 - (Final score 57 to 56)
1st Bizzaro (me)
2nd Bane

From my experience:

Bizzaro - Nuts with an early Bizzaro Attack. Pick up the 3/4 cost cycle destroyers and go to town. Grid/The Blight/Kick is a great low-cost combo to feed Bizzaro.
Sinestro - Decent if you can get attacks. But if you play against harley she will spam defense on you.
Harley - Defense spam is ridiculous.
Deathstroke - REALLY strong with the 3/4 cost cycles.
Bane - Works really well with the 1 cost cycle, kicks and other low cost cards to build into heavy cards. Then pick up a Giganta for more fun.