PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: VIP tickets expire. Use them this weekend or lose them.

deificus
11-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Since I apparently fell into this trap in October, I wanted to warn anyone else who may be unaware that VIP tickets now expire (despite it being mentioned nowhere in http://hextcg.com/november-vip-tournaments/, and in fact https://hextcg.com/vip-tournaments-update/ saying they do not, apparently since September tickets are special in that they do not expire). In fact, I can't find anywhere at all official that this is mentioned.

I missed the boat in October and apparently the support policy is that they will not be reimbursed. So make sure to use them or lose them.

RDarkfire
11-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Um, colour me very unimpressed as a (relatively) casual player.

Xexist
11-28-2014, 10:41 AM
https://hextcg.com/vip-program-update/

VIP Program FAQ

Q: What accounts get free VIP?
A: Any account that redeemed or will redeem a Slacker Backer KS code will receive 2 months of free VIP. Any account that redeemed or will redeem a Champion Tier (85-dollar tier) or higher will receive 3 months of free VIP.

Q: I redeemed multiple Kickstarter codes on the same account. Do codes stack?
A: Yes. We’ll extend your free time based on the type and amount of Kickstarter codes you redeemed on your account. For example, someone who redeemed a King tier and two Slacker Backers will receive 7 months of free VIP.

Q: What happens to Kickstarter codes that have not been redeemed yet? Do they lose out on free VIP?
A: No, when they are redeemed, they’ll award the free VIP time to the account. At some point in the far future we may offer alternative rewards upon redemption, since a free tournament entry into a tournament with nobody to play is pretty bad.

Q: How are you going to restrict tournament entries to VIP subscribers?
A: We will issue VIP tournament tickets to subscribers that will expire at the end of each month.

Q: What if I can’t make it to a tournament at the end of a specific month?
A: We will have multiple VIP tournaments at the end of each month to accommodate players with different schedules and in different time zones. We are currently looking at 5 tournaments spread across the last Friday, Saturday and Sunday of each month.

Q: What if I still can’t make it to any of the tournaments at the end of a specific month? What if the specific tournament I planned to attend does not happen because not enough people signed up for that tournament? Will you offer compensation?
A: We won’t offer compensation for players missing VIP tournaments as long as at least 1 VIP tournament successfully started for that month. In 2015 as we get closer to most VIP subscriptions expiring and VIP tournaments are no longer getting enough people to start, we will convert expiring VIP tickets into other event ticket types.

Q: I bought VIP for the last 3 months. Do I get credit for the tournaments that should have happened?
A: We will grant you non-expiring VIP tournament tickets to use at your convenience. Since we’re running more than one tournament at the end of each month, you’ll be able to double up on some VIP tournaments to catch up.

They made it pretty clear that only specific VIP tickets were non expiring.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Correct - VIP tickets were always supposed to expire, they just made the first month's tickets non-expiring since we got the backlogged tickets all at once. Technically, they could have made 1 of the tickets in September expiring as well and JUST made the backlogged ones non-expiring, but they went the extra mile as usual and made all of them from that month non-expiring instead.

It would be nice if people would do a little research before they jump on the "how dare they!" bandwagon. This information was made available at the time and there were several announcements and forum threads and hextcg.com articles about it. At no point was there any reason to believe that all VIP tickets would always be non-expiring.

Glae
11-28-2014, 12:57 PM
To clarify though, bugged VIP tournaments still will give non expiring tickets. But they pass those out when you submit the bug report, so everyone who was affected by the pass priority bug last time should have already received non expiring tickets like a month ago.

deificus
11-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the link. I agree, if you read absolutely everything since the beginning you wouldn't have missed this. It my case, I didn't start reading until sometime in September, after the linked post. And some of the posts since then have been... less than clear. Take this from the FAQ I linked above:

"Q: I won’t be able to participate in any tournaments this month, will my tickets expire?
A: Nope!"

In retrospect this seems to have been meant just to apply to September, but that isn't obvious from anything in the post if you didn't already know they were intended to expire. So if all you read were the tourney announcements and only ever looked at your non-expiring September ticket, I don't think it is super clear.

Punk
11-28-2014, 04:07 PM
It really isn't clear, no. Personally, I was under the impression that they didn't expire, so I also lost out for not playing in the VIP in October.

Voormas
11-28-2014, 04:12 PM
You didn't lose out on anything really because you still got your cheap boosters and still have the platinum / etc you would have spent on entry fees, and most importantly you got to spend you time doing something else that you obviously thought was more fun / rewarding than playing that weekend

You shouldn't feel like you are forced to participate in the VIP tournaments or you might start resenting the imposition on your time

DanTheMeek
11-28-2014, 11:19 PM
I appreciate this heads up. I have to say, poor communication seems to be a common issue I've seen with Hex team, they have a passion for card games that's infectious and some truly creative minds designing things, but there seems to be this believe in the office that if they mention something one time, at some place on the internet (or at least if its on their website some where) then everyone knows it forever. Thats fine for the grissled Vets who frequent the site daily and put every little tidbit of information they read to memory for the rest of their lives, but it seems like I'm constantly learning things that the Vets knew for months way after the fact, often well after the information would have be useful to have.

In this case I THOUGHT I remembered hearing once that they would expire, but couldn't remember where, if it was from a fan, or something they were thinking about doing, and as thats a pretty big deal, it seemed like something you'd want to emphasise or at least bring up in every monthly VIP tournament post, but it never seemed to be mentioned so I had actually figured I was misremembering and they infact didn't expire.

To be fair, I have family in town so probably not going to be able justify ignoring them for 4+ hours this weekend to enter a vip tournament and thus they will expire anyway despite my knowing about it, but obviously would have been more upsetting to find out about it after the fact when it was too late to do anything about it, so appreciate the heads up.

Since sharing important information with the masses in my opinion is an area of weakness of Hex team, I do hope the community can continue to band to share this information amongst ourselves in the future as well. We can't help them make the PvE to get it to us faster, but we can help them by sharing information they've given to us in the past, and I do feel the community has generally been pretty good about that.

Phenteo
11-28-2014, 11:31 PM
I appreciate this heads up. I have to say, poor communication seems to be a common issue I've seen with Hex team, they have a passion for card games that's infectious and some truly creative minds designing things, but there seems to be this believe in the office that if they mention something one time, at some place on the internet (or at least if its on their website some where) then everyone knows it forever.

We've posted it in an FAQ and the VIP program is only for a small portion of the population of players currently. You can read more here: https://hextcg.com/vip-program-update/

wutae
11-29-2014, 01:37 AM
We've posted it in an FAQ and the VIP program is only for a small portion of the population of players currently. You can read more here: https://hextcg.com/vip-program-update/

Such bad excuse ! Yesterday you made a post for VIP tournament it's your obligation every time you post about VIP to inform people about their expiration if that is true

Falaris
11-29-2014, 01:46 AM
They are under no obligation, nor should it be expected. They posted a FAQ.

nicosharp
11-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Here we go again.. More complaints about the VIP program. As if 52 packs for $48 was not enough...

The communication has been very good about this. The issue is, most people complaining about the lack of communication are not keeping up on the news in the first place. They aren't going to ring your door bell.

PhoenixMD
11-29-2014, 03:57 AM
I have missed the chance to participate in the October VIP events and lost my tickets, not knowing they would be expiring.
However, I have only myself to blame for not obtaining more information on the subject.
I also would have liked to see a bit more light being shed on VIP tickets, rather than just being a simple Q&A not easily found.
But again, I hold myself responsible.
However, my experience with the VIP this month exceeded my expectations. The first event fired off an hour earlier than mentioned on the website by mistake, but they ran another one on the scheduled time, let the early tournament continue, and also refunding everybody in the early tournament, regardless of afking or participating. So I've had a great Christmas present from CZE along with 96 other people in my tourney (Went 3-1 and got my first AAs also :) )
I have to thank them for this again, especially Phenteo, as his presence and communication during that time prevented an angry mob to turn to forums and Gameforge for complaints, and rather made everybody's day by a good and timely decision.

a-V-e-n
11-29-2014, 04:15 AM
I've already lost a ticket (+500 plat) due to bugged registration - entry fee consumed but I didn't get registered, don't appear anywhere in standings or pairings. Is my case unique? Sending a ticket to support as well.

ManofPeace
11-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Might as well repeat that FAQ in every VIP related article. At least a updated version to address other common questions
1. How do I join VIP now?
2. Why don't you guys just let us buy VIP tickets/It's so unfaiiir.
3. When do tickets drop? One day prior to the first tournament of that month (which was only mentioned in a forum post by the by).
4. whatever else that is needed...

It takes very little additional work and helps to mitigate these sorts of complaints.

nicosharp
11-29-2014, 05:52 AM
Might as well repeat that FAQ in every VIP related article. At least a updated version to address other common questions
1. How do I join VIP now?
2. Why don't you guys just let us buy VIP tickets/It's so unfaiiir.
3. When do tickets drop? One day prior to the first tournament of that month (which was only mentioned in a forum post by the by).
4. whatever else that is needed...

It takes very little additional work and helps to mitigate these sorts of complaints.
That's a good idea - Phenteo can hopefully add this to future VIP posts.

ossuary
11-29-2014, 06:18 AM
Lack of attention on a player's part does not constitute a failure of communication on CZE's part. The information is out there and readily available. CZE has posted about it many times, and every time someone has asked about it on the forums, they have been given the correct answer, either by other community members or by Phenteo. There is no excuse other than negligence at this point to not know that tickets expire.

Take responsibility for your own role in your lack of accurate knowledge. If CZE spent all the time it would take to code giant flashing red messages in the client warning you of all the things some of you claim they ought to be "making you aware of" (and that you would already know, if you would actually look for it), they'd never get anything else done.

deificus
11-29-2014, 07:08 AM

Phenteo, the only problem with that is that all the announcements do not link to the FAQ. Instead, they all link to https://hextcg.com/vip-program-update-2/.

deificus
11-29-2014, 07:12 AM
Lack of attention on a player's part does not constitute a failure of communication on CZE's part. The information is out there and readily available. CZE has posted about it many times, and every time someone has asked about it on the forums, they have been given the correct answer, either by other community members or by Phenteo. There is no excuse other than negligence at this point to not know that tickets expire.

Take responsibility for your own role in your lack of accurate knowledge. If CZE spent all the time it would take to code giant flashing red messages in the client warning you of all the things some of you claim they ought to be "making you aware of" (and that you would already know, if you would actually look for it), they'd never get anything else done.

I'm sorry, but just because it exists somewhere isn't good enough. I'm sure there are a number of KS backers who haven't even activated and are waiting for the "beta" to be over. Should they have to go back and read everything ever posted?

It should be part of every announcement. They even take the time to have a link in every announcement that says "For more information about VIP tournaments, click here." Since that link, that purports to inform you about what you need to know, fails to tell you this, it isn't surprising people are unaware.

Yubar
11-29-2014, 08:49 AM
I'm curious as to what they will do for people like me in the future, had a Slacker Backer VIP, then bought a 1 year with $$ early on, then bought another 1 year with plat when VIPs were being retired. I'm guessing there won't be a ton of people in this boat so VIP tournies will be harder to make fire (I guess all you would need is 8 people if need be though..)

Aradon
11-29-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm curious as to what they will do for people like me in the future, had a Slacker Backer VIP, then bought a 1 year with $$ early on, then bought another 1 year with plat when VIPs were being retired. I'm guessing there won't be a ton of people in this boat so VIP tournies will be harder to make fire (I guess all you would need is 8 people if need be though..)

Two years from now, there will be very few people with VIP tickets left. I believe they will remain at 16 minimum to fire, but they said that if none fire on a given weekend, there will be compensation in some other manner they haven't determined yet. Needless to say, those AAs down the line will be very valuable, since supply will be so limited.

ossuary
11-29-2014, 10:05 AM
More likely, at some point after the majority of VIP holders have run out their subscriptions, the remaining VIP members will have their tournament access converted into a similarly valued number of tickets for non-exclusive tournaments (like scheduled constructed and / or sealed), and the AA rewards will be shifted over to whatever the retooled, non-exploitable VIP 2.0 turns out to be.

There will probably always be some form of tournament prize AA, but I doubt it will be put into VIP tournaments when 10% (or whatever) of the original VIP population, which is already a small percentage of the total population), are the only ones able to queue up, and barely managing to get 1 or 2 tournaments to fire over the course of the whole weekend. That just won't make sense.

DanTheMeek
11-29-2014, 11:04 AM
I just want to say that I feel like in this case things became more of an issue because tickets expiring is very non-intuitive to me. The way I saw it, if we're holding multiple VIP tournaments every month, why should last months tickets expire if, say, the weekend it occurred on I had family in town and couldn't participate. If there was only one VIP tournament a month it would make sense they expired, since its impossible to catch up (though you could argue you could just participate the following month after what would have originally been their last month if tournaments were still going on) but with multiple tournaments every month everything almost seemed set up so that you could re-use unspent tickets from the previous month the next month, having them expire just didn't seem the obvious thing to do. I'm not trying to throw a fit over having them expire, its their system, they can do it however the heck they want, just trying to explain my logic as to why I wouldn't have assumed tickets expired unless it was made very apparent to me.

Also, I don't expect every single detail about anything and everything in Hex to be reposted on a daily basis, but when you've got content some one paid money for that said person will be losing for nothing if they don't do a certain thing, that does seem like something worth repeatedly emphasizing, even if there's only a small portion of your community who paid for said content. I know some people like to argue "well your 4 packs were already enough value, the tickets are just extra" but that just doesn't fly with me. Thats great that you consider the packs alone sufficient value, but some people purchased VIP because of the whole package, maybe even more for the VIP tickets then the packs.

Ultimately I'm not mad, nor could I feel too upset because, again, they DID post this information, it wasn't a hidden secret, but I do think it WAS a failing on Hex's part that it seems I was not the only one who was unclear about tickets expiring. It's our fault too, we share in the blame, but these are the kind of little things that I hope Hex learns from now, so that when they're bigger we rarely if ever have these situations anymore. Ideally I'd like it if some day everything was explained in game, so I could just play the game there instead of needing to do searching on this website to figure out how the things I bought in-game actually work, but I also understand in this case VIP is not something they are going to continue to have going forward so they wouldn't want to expend any more effort then necessary supporting it at the expense of the features which will be continuing long term.

jcalton
11-29-2014, 01:31 PM
My problem is that they currently only notify me of tournaments via email on the Friday night after they've already started. If I had more notice, they wouldn't expire because I would block out the time and use them.

hex_colin
11-29-2014, 01:42 PM
My problem is that they currently only notify me of tournaments via email on the Friday night after they've already started. If I had more notice, they wouldn't expire because I would block out the time and use them.

How can you possibly say that? There have been 10+ communications (on the front page of the website) and 10's of forum posts letting people know that VIP tournaments are on the last full weekend of every month, and have a very specific (and unchanging) schedule for the 6 tourneys.

Granted, some things have not been communicated in the best possible way during HEX's ongoing development, but you can't say that about VIP tournaments. We got unexpiring tickets the first month so that people wouldn't get caught out, and (even though it was clear during the KS itself) we all got at least 30 days notice that future tickets would expire.

magic_gazz
11-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Can Cory personally come to my house and notify me of everything that is going to happen a two weeks in advance, then a further reminder one week in advance.

I mean I shouldn't be expected to look or ask for information. The website/forum/facebook is not enough and unless you repeat all the information everyday there is a chance I might have missed it.

Aradon
11-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Despite your hyperbole, there is room for improvement. I think it was pretty clearly stated what the times were, but usually when someone spends money on a product, they get the details then and there. I think the ideal fix is to put the dates of the tournaments into the automated VIP email they already send out every week. That way the message is in the exact same medium that the purchase is made.

Xexist
11-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Despite your hyperbole, there is room for improvement. I think it was pretty clearly stated what the times were, but usually when someone spends money on a product, they get the details then and there. I think the ideal fix is to put the dates of the tournaments into the automated VIP email they already send out every week. That way the message is in the exact same medium that the purchase is made.

Fair statement

YourOpponent
11-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I find it both shocking and sad many people are upset that they didn't know that VIP tickets expire....when it is so obvious that they expire when it's posted at least once each month on the website right there in the news section. For those not happy that it says that in the "main VIP post of that month" they give you a link of just about everything you need to know about VIP to go to so it's not their fault that YOU aren't reading it.

For those that are mad because it's "not good enough" for them to be posting news updates to let you know that VIP tickets expire...then I feel sorry for you, because if reading in game chat isn't enough to make that obvious to you as well...then you guys are going to be totally clueless when PvE and other big patches are out!

I mean seriously this is almost as bad as people not knowing how to get their KS rewards when they were E-mailed with INSTRUCTIONS on how to get them...and then getting mad that they don't have their rewards because they deleted the E-mail that sent them the instructions.

deificus
11-30-2014, 01:17 AM
I find it both shocking and sad many people are upset that they didn't know that VIP tickets expire....when it is so obvious that they expire when it's posted at least once each month on the website right there in the news section. For those not happy that it says that in the "main VIP post of that month" they give you a link of just about everything you need to know about VIP to go to so it's not their fault that YOU aren't reading it.

Before flaming people for not reading, it would help to read the thing you blame people for not reading. One of the major complaints is that the link to "just about everything you need to know" doesn't tell you they expire.

deificus
11-30-2014, 01:24 AM
And having said that, the November post has been updated with much clearer information that presumably will persist going forward. Thanks!

ossuary
11-30-2014, 05:46 AM
The tickets also list their expiration date when you hover over them in your inventory, as do all tickets that expire. That information has also been provided on more than one occasion.