PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Destiny - Shin'hare

Shaqattaq
11-28-2014, 10:56 AM
by Matt Dunn

In some ways, the Shin’hare are the most tragic of Entrath’s races. Yes, they may be murderous, oppressive, conquest-driven bunnies, but underneath all of that there lies some fairly noble philosophy. Sensei of the Wounded Petal, for example, offers a beautiful reflection on the importance of the group vs the individual. This philosophy of putting the empire above oneself runs throughout Shin’hare society, and nowhere is this more evident than among the low-rank shock troops.

http://www.hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-shinhare/

schild
11-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Misspelled "QUICK" as "BASIC." Strange typo.

WolfCrypt
11-28-2014, 11:00 AM
I love Shin'Hare and I'm always picking tragic chars or races in these kinda games lol I didn't know they were so depressingly badass.

poizonous
11-28-2014, 11:08 AM
gotta agree with schild. 2 threshold 2 cost card with an effect that sounds like it is a 5 for 1 at basic action speed. at least quick action gives you a chance to use this and not waste a turn

eimerian
11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
I feel like Gift of Yazukan should also give the type Zombie...

NOBLEStarshield
11-28-2014, 11:49 AM
The Shin'hare are my favorite so far.

Edswor
11-28-2014, 11:50 AM
You can target this effect to one of the troops scarified for the cost?

Gwaer
11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Most likely, sacrificed troops hit the GY as part of the cost, so they'll be in there when the spell resolves. They'd have to be voided as part of the cost to avoid that, and that's not really in theme... Maybe a temporary void... But that just becomes overly complex.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 11:57 AM
You can target this effect to one of the troops scarified for the cost?

Probably, because sacrificing them is part of the initial cost you pay before you get a targeting reticle, but I suspect you will have to have some other troop in your graveyard as well first, or the card won't be highlighted as playable (like if both graveyards are totally empty, you can't resolve call the grave).

Khendral
11-28-2014, 12:01 PM
No, because you have to choose the target when you play the spell - before you sacrifice the troops.

bootlace
11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
This seems like a terrible card on first sight as others have pointed out but reanimating a troop into play for only 2 resources is powerful stuff. Remember with Monsuun tunneled, any troops that die are able to come back (if they have the secret trigger). Right now it might not be worth worth going through all this trouble, but if they print a gigantic Shin'hare, bury/reanimating that on turn 3/4 might all of a sudden be pretty good.

Glae
11-28-2014, 12:22 PM
As it reads you could sacrifice a troop and bring it back. It isn't supposed to be a combat trick, so basic seems fine.

Still weird that humans get 10x the preview of everything else but w/e.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 12:32 PM
This seems like a terrible card on first sight as others have pointed out but reanimating a troop into play for only 2 resources is powerful stuff. Remember with Monsuun tunneled, any troops that die are able to come back (if they have the secret trigger). Right now it might not be worth worth going through all this trouble, but if they print a gigantic Shin'hare, bury/reanimating that on turn 3/4 might all of a sudden be pretty good.

They already have giant bunnies. Triple blocked your rune ear? Bring him back for the cost of 3 battle hoppers. Beefy eulogist got murdered! Not anymore! Burn took out your bucktooth commander, and now you're just short of lethal? Three must die so the rest may kill! ;)

This card is going to be great in the right situation (and Shin'Hare tribes is totally going to be a thing now - probably still not T1, but definitely very strong). If it were a quick action to boot, it would be completely broken.

Khendral
11-28-2014, 12:51 PM
I thought we had already seen the shin'hare update...I like the flavour of the card, but I agree it should add the 'Zombie' troop type :D

Gregzilla
11-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Here's a question..... if you sac a Minion of Yakuuzan to this, does it just tunnel itself, then? AND, if so, can you also then BUFF the sac'd tunneled Minion with this too?

ossuary
11-28-2014, 01:21 PM
You can sac it, and it will tunnel, at which point it will not be in the graveyard anymore, so it won't be a valid target for bringing back with the buff.

Gregzilla
11-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Ah. Right. Missed a step there, didn't I? Damn. Still... good choice to be sacced, at least.

Glae
11-28-2014, 02:50 PM
I thought we had already seen the shin'hare update...I like the flavour of the card, but I agree it should add the 'Zombie' troop type :D

That was the Tunneling article, it just had a Shin'hare as the final spoiler.

DanTheMeek
11-28-2014, 06:41 PM
No matter what, in the unlikely event that I end up getting any of these, I will at least give them a try. Kind of like The Mushwocky, it puts all your eggs in one basket for a slow, unprotected, card that can be easily dealt with by a million different removal options in set 1 alone. I really would have liked either speed, spell shield, or even crush in exchange for lethal or lifedrain, lethal in particular seems a bit wasted on a troop like this, but I still feel like recursion and revival is under valued in hex by a lot of players do to backgrounds in other games where cards in the grave yard do not retain their stat buffs when revived/recursed, as they do in Hex. Eulogist and necrophage for example, these are cards who give themselves permanent buffs that they will retain upon revival (and in Necrophage's case, even get a second time!). There's also the obvious synergy to be had with Monsuun as well as MoY as far as mitigating the sacrifice costs.

If you CAN target one of your sacrifices to bring back, this card becomes a lot better, if you can't, the main thing going against it (other then again, the fact that its a -3 card disadvantage to yourself), is just how restrictive it will be to play. You need 2 blood (worth noting though hopefully the new mana fixer resource will make this less difficult to achieve in mixed color decks), and 2 resource which is reasonable, but then you need 3 troops in play, specifically shin'hare so shroom people won't work which is actually a pretty big deal too, sorry shroomshaw, you can't help, and you need a troop in the grave yard that you'd want to give up this card and 3 shin'hare in play, to bring back with some buffs. Pretty tough sell. But I'd still like to play with it none the less.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Well the thing is, they can't give spellshield or speed to EVERY good troop, or those abilities aren't special anymore. Frankly, spellshield never should have been a minor gem. Most troops are going to have to be susceptible to single target removal, or removal is no good and troop decks will crush everything else. You have to play around the removal by either tricking out their removal or holding back until you have protection, rather than rushing your best troop onto the board the instant you can and leave your resources all spent.

If you push to get them on the board as fast as possible, you potentially gain a huge advantage if they happen to not have an answer, the risk being you've lost your best guy if they DO. That's just how the game goes.

Aradon
11-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Want to reiterate what Khendral said, as he is correct: You cannot reanimate a troop to sacrifice to pay for this spell, because it targets. You first put the spell on the chain, second choose the targets (and modes, if a spell has options), third determine cost and pay it. The targeting happens in the second step, and sacrificing shin'hare happens in the third.

Glae
11-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Frankly, spellshield never should have been a minor gem. Most troops are going to have to be susceptible to single target removal, or removal is no good and troop decks will crush everything else.

I'm not so sure. Blood Diamond Midrange was certainly a player in the early Meta, but even Soul Marbles everywhere didn't keep the deck as a top tier contender long term. Mono Sapphire, Tu Pact, and even the short lived Infinite Fog pushed out the all spell shield BD control and midrange decks. Those BD decks existing didn't push towards opponents using all troops, they pushed towards life gain and wider control.

Obviously GoreStorm/TrollFeast/GoreKnights have existed (still currently exist) but I think that has more to do with being able to race the slow control decks that are so prevalent in the meta than Spellshield Gem or even Soul Marble. Which don't use either of those, or even spellshield at all IIRC.

Spellshield gem may be tearing up drafts and the Rock League, but it isn't exactly Tier one constructed.

poizonous
11-28-2014, 09:36 PM
spellshield gem had no real major threats in set 1. now double socket troops will be huge players in constructed

Zomnivore
11-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Mushwocky isn't an all eggs in one basket kind of card imo. Basically its insignificant risk for a 4/4.

especially with set 2 coming around.