PDA

View Full Version : Friday Update - Zakiir

Shaqattaq
11-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi HEXers. For those of you working off last night's turkey meal, we hope you had a great Thanksgiving. For those of you competing in this weekend's VIP tournaments, good luck!

This week, we have some reminders, some new UI enhancements, and a legendary preview card. So, let's get to it.

http://www.hextcg.com/friday-update-zakiir/

poizonous
11-28-2014, 11:12 AM
umm yeah zakiir reads as follows. "leave me on the field and you lose".

love the new gameplay update looks good. but curious how clunky it looks with a stack of 30 battle hoppers

Thoom
11-28-2014, 11:13 AM
On Wednesday, we announced that Shattered Destiny release would move to December 9th. Unfortunately, in testing we found an issue that would have been far too risky to resolve and test in time to make that date. We’ll continue to roll on with Shattered Destiny previews until launch.

Was this misworded, or does this mean release has been pushed even further back?

Gwaer
11-28-2014, 11:14 AM
December 9th
On Wednesday, we announced (https://hextcg.com/set-2-launch-date-moved-to-december-9th/) that Shattered Destiny release would move to December 9th. Unfortunately, in testing we found an issue that would have been far too risky to resolve and test in time to make that date. We’ll continue to roll on with Shattered Destiny previews until launch.

The above excerpt seems to say that it's unlikely we will get set 2 on Dec 9th. Is that correct or am I misreading it?

Shaqattaq
11-28-2014, 11:21 AM
It's repeating what's said in the linked piece. Shattered Destiny is scheduled for December 9th. I removed the unclear piece in the article.

bootlace
11-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Annnd we might just have our first $20 card..

Thoom
11-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Whew, thanks. I was worried there.

Vorsa
11-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Good gravy is Zakiir a beast! :eek:
Surely the finale of any methodically-paced ruby deck, if you can get him.

eimerian
11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Wait a moment!

Thresholds go back to the left side?!
You didn't mention the most important UI update :)

BossHoss
11-28-2014, 11:32 AM
That is an exciting update. At first glance I am a big fan of the centralized chain.

I think the most exciting part for me....

RESOURCES ARE BACK ON THE LEFT!!!!

fabriazp
11-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Yep totally agreed with poizonous.. "Let me stay and you will die".

Roy_G
11-28-2014, 11:36 AM
The thresholds on the left might be even better than the Zakiir spoiler.A lot better this way.

Edswor
11-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Zakiir looks pretty awesome. Also is nice the little by little interface improvement made into the game.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Zakiir is absolutely one of the money cards for the set. Expect him to be more than $20 on the AH day 1.

Mejis
11-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Wow what a beast of a dragon.

Also, STACKING! Finally. This excites me just as much as Set 2.
Interested to see how the centralised chain plays out.

Glae
11-28-2014, 12:19 PM
"Thresholds are back on the left" is the most important piece of news in an overall exciting update. We did it! MissionAccomplished.jpeg

ossuary
11-28-2014, 12:28 PM
We did it! MissionAccomplished.jpeg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXMGnN1tEGGkOZqZkt4x1vnmgRzqIF4 JbMIFV-uKIGv_W3YG6WYA

eimerian
11-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Wait! What?
Fox lady is a socketed 1/1 now?
When did that happen?

This was the GenCon version

Rycajo
11-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Love the UI changes, impressed with the dragon, and I cannot wait!

Khendral
11-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Praise Tehlu Zakiir does not give you the card at the end of your turn :)

Vengus
11-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Oh hello there Ysera. :D

poizonous
11-28-2014, 01:05 PM

how dare you even mention a HS card. and how dare i even know what you meant

Roy_G
11-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Just the top half has the gem colors.Might be double socket.

Marsden
11-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Love the UI changes.

Glae
11-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Clarification on Glimpse of Insanity... when you void all non dragon cards, what zones are they voided from? Is it "from play" or "from all zones." Because I'm pretty sure that voiding all non dragon cards in the current game is bananas.

I void your hand, your field and your entire deck. Your turn. You lose.

poizonous
11-28-2014, 02:09 PM
100% sure it is void from play

Glae
11-28-2014, 02:29 PM
It would be nice if it said that though. There's already cards which void from other zones so its not like "void" means take from play and void.

Additionally it could void hands or graves or tunneled and not be busted. Voiding the deck is obvs busted. But it just says "void all non-dragon cards."

Though I guess if the intended effect is "glimpsing insanity," there will be some ragetilting tableflipping insanity for the controlling player to glimpse.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 02:34 PM
It doesn't need to say that, because if no zone is specified, "in play" is the default. To void all non-dragons in all zones, it would have to actually say "in all zones."

Glae
11-28-2014, 02:40 PM
The only other card which voids all cards in play is Comet Strike, which says "all cards in play," though the other sweeps do not.

Mejis
11-28-2014, 03:00 PM

Haha I didn't want to be the one to post that, but it was also my first thought. It's like a little nod to Ysera.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 03:51 PM
The only other card which voids all cards in play is Comet Strike, which says "all cards in play," though the other sweeps do not.

No, it says "Void all cards in play, and from each champion's graveyard and hand." It is, in fact, naming 3 zones. Therefore, it has to specify.

Covnam
11-28-2014, 04:36 PM
New UI looks good, much better to see stacks than stamp sized cards.
This update reminds me of the Dragon's Blood starter deck. Has there been any info on that? Is it going to be released before the game goes out of beta or the PvE content launches?

BossHoss
11-28-2014, 04:44 PM
New UI looks good, much better to see stacks than stamp sized cards.
This update reminds me of the Dragon's Blood starter deck. Has there been any info on that? Is it going to be released before the game goes out of beta or the PvE content launches?

Dragon`s Blood is waiting for the implementation of foils, extended art and double backs. Estimated for first half of 2015.

FrostWynn
11-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Phenteo too OP, please nerf him.
<3 from FrostWynn

Can't wait to see what cards the other NOBLEs' profile pictures are!!!

mudkip
11-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Can the cards on the horizontal stack be increased in size so they look different to the rest of the field? Apart from that the changes look great!

Gwaer
11-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I was thinking be decreased in size, if you don't know the card you're going to zoom in on it anyway.

Glae
11-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Also, the chain has to be small enough you can access troops or artifacts in play to respond to things. So smaller and forcing zoom vs larger and unable to access cards in play seems an easy choice.

ossuary
11-28-2014, 09:31 PM
The chain is in the middle of the screen, where no other cards are. When the chain is empty, it's not visible at all (as normal), and when it is in use, it is also overlaid on top of the playmat, with a black background, in between the two players' board space. It doesn't block the view of any cards at all anymore. It looks perfectly fine to me as is. :p

Voormas
11-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Yea there are literally never any other cards in that space, it's 'neutral ground' so to speak - I think its a great place for it and would also work well on a tablet layout :D

Zomnivore
11-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Zakiir is going to be a sick legendary B)

Don't know that he's 20 bucks worthy yet, but who knows.

mudkip
11-29-2014, 02:37 AM
I was thinking be decreased in size, if you don't know the card you're going to zoom in on it anyway.

That'd probably work better.

Dimth
11-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Okay, I hate to start the day off negatively, but is the Cryptozoic team really still so blind about their UI?

If you look at the picture, you'll see that the new UI uses only a small portion of the screen. I copied the image into Paint and looked at the pixel x-locations of various things.
End of the turn state wheel: 69
Position of the first card: 207
Gap: 138

Position of the last card: 752
End of the screen: 899
Gap: 147

Total gaps in narrowest section: 285
Portion of width unused: 32%

And they pretend that the UI uses the full width? That's pathetic, team.

Here are the fixes, in case your creative team is taking another day off:
1) Change the turn stage circle into a 30-pixel wide vertical bar.
2) Use the full width of the screen.
3) Decrease the gap between cards, which is now 1/4 of the width of the card when there are this many cards out. The pixel width of the gap remains constant, so when there are lots of cards on the screen the gap is sometimes larger than the card! Decrease that to 1/8th the width, which changes when there are lots of cards on the screen, which gives you more room for cards.

See; it's not that hard.

CZE_Ty
11-29-2014, 03:10 PM
The gap between cards is dynamic and does indeed adjust to accommodate more cards by reducing the space in between.

hex_colin
11-29-2014, 03:16 PM
There's also the challenge of maximizing UI real estate versus providing an aesthetically pleasing design. We're all never going to be on exactly the same page in that regard. We just have to trust Ty and the team to give us the benefit of their experience and artistic talents. :)

elfstone
11-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Damn Dimth Thats quite a negative first post. At least come and introduce yourself before bashing :D ;) Welcome to the forums btw!

Zomnivore
11-29-2014, 04:09 PM
Woah guy, you seriously like your UI a certain way, why not email them a suggestion.

Stoutheart
11-30-2014, 12:44 AM
If you look at the picture, you'll see that the new UI uses only a small portion of the screen.

The screenshots in the announcement are meant to show you how stacking of cards will be presented. Since the cards have already stacked, there is more room on the left and right for more cards. In 16:9 aspect ratio, you can have ten cards in a row (8 in the second row due to player HUD and deck) without any changes in gap or scaling. After that, if there are cards that are identical, they will stack. A little bit of room is needed for when cards are played. If the interface runs out of room after stacking and adjusting the gap between cards, it will scale. Also, there are three layouts for card positioning. One is for troops only (2 rows dedicated solely to troops). The second is for many troops and less than or equal to four unique constants (2 rows dedicated to troops and a 2x2 grid for constants on the right above your deck). The last layout is for many troops and constants (this is pretty much how the game currently looks). Stacked cards show 20% of the right side (or left if you mouse over on the right most card). So in the same space of 2 cards, we can fit 6.

This is the first step in having a more intelligent layout of cards on the board. We are always looking to improve the gameboard. Once the patch is released, it will be great to have everyone's feedback.

Edswor
11-30-2014, 01:44 AM
This is the first step in having a more intelligent layout of cards on the board. We are always looking to improve the gameboard. Once the patch is released, it will be great to have everyone's feedback.

And that's when? ;)

As I said before is good to see improvements little by little. Make a change, get some feedback, make other change, and so on (2-3 patches a month should be optimal).

ossuary
11-30-2014, 05:56 AM
The screenshots in the announcement are meant to show you how stacking of cards will be presented. Since the cards have already stacked, there is more room on the left and right for more cards. In 16:9 aspect ratio, you can have ten cards in a row (8 in the second row due to player HUD and deck) without any changes in gap or scaling. After that, if there are cards that are identical, they will stack. A little bit of room is needed for when cards are played. If the interface runs out of room after stacking and adjusting the gap between cards, it will scale. Also, there are three layouts for card positioning. One is for troops only (2 rows dedicated solely to troops). The second is for many troops and less than or equal to four unique constants (2 rows dedicated to troops and a 2x2 grid for constants on the right above your deck). The last layout is for many troops and constants (this is pretty much how the game currently looks). Stacked cards show 20% of the right side (or left if you mouse over on the right most card). So in the same space of 2 cards, we can fit 6.

Thanks for the detailed info. This is AMAZING. One of my biggest pet peeves about the initial version of the UI was that it didn't make "smart" use of the screen space based on what card types you actually had in play. Using only a little corner for 2-3 artifacts / constants and utilizing the 2nd row for more troops when appropriate is a great feature.

Does it work in reverse as well? If you have 30 artifacts in play but only 2 troops, will it put the artifacts in your main area and move the troops off to the side? Or are troops always on the top row even if there aren't very many of them?

poizonous
11-30-2014, 09:33 AM
i still would like a screenshot of 20+ battle hoppers stacked

Yoss
11-30-2014, 05:59 PM
Very cool dragon and nice UI updates! The sneak UI change of resources/thresh to the left is most welcome.

Werlix
11-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks, team, looking great. I'm already so used to the new UI I hadn't really expected improvements so soon :)

And Zakiir looks cool. Not sure if it will be too slow and vulnerable for competitive play but that remains to be seen...

Okay, I hate to start the day off negatively, but is the Cryptozoic team really still so blind about their UI?
...That's pathetic, team...Here are the fixes, in case your creative team is taking another day off...See; it's not that hard.

Wow, dude. For someone who hates being negative, you're pretty good at it :)

TheSwallowsNest
12-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Zakiir is going to be a sick legendary B)

Don't know that he's 20 bucks worthy yet, but who knows.

He is unique, so there just wont be the same demand for him as there is for VK or AOD.

Probably more along the lines of wrenlocke or a bit less.