PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ben about Monsuun

Axle
11-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Because Phenteo told me to post the question on the forums.

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Monsuun-Shogun-of-Windajin.png

1. Unique rule and tunneling. Are you allowed to have a unique tunneled and a unique in play without one being removed?

2. Scenario:

I have a Monsuun tunneled, a troop in grave with a counter and I play a 2nd Monsuun on the field.

a. Can I decide which Monsuun ability activates first? (Summon all guys, THEN put a counter on the 2nd Monsuun from the first..or do it the other way around and have the counters not be re-applied)? Adding counters probably doesn't use the chain so I assume not.

b. Regardless of #1, does the 2nd Monsuuns effect of removing all decoy counters resolve before or after the tunneled Monsuuns effect of adding counters to the troop from the grave that was just played? Specifically I want to know if the troop put into play by the 2nd Monsuun will have a counter once everything is resolved with the two Monsuuns.

I know the game itself will answer this when the set is out but I'd like to know before I buy a playset of Monsuun :P.

Aradon
11-29-2014, 11:53 AM
From what I can read of the game rules:

1) Tunneling is a zone that is not in play, so you should be able to have one tunneled and another in play without violating the unique rule.
2) Neither of these abilities use the chain, I believe, so they'll go on the chain in order of when you played each. Therefore, the tunneled Monsuun should trigger his ability first, and the enters-play trigger should go on top of that, then resolve. This means that every time, the in-play Monsuun will resurrect all your decoy troops, then remove decoy counters. Then, your tunneled Monsuun will put a decoy counter on the in-play Monsuun. He'll end up with a decoy counter.

This does mean that when the other Monsuun surfaces, you can put the in-play Monsuun into the graveyard, then resurrect him with the new Monsuun, and then kill one of them again :P It doesn't get you very far, though, since his resurrecting ability doesn't really stack very well. Nothing new will get reanimated, just an extra copy of Monsuun for an extra death-trigger.

That's my theory on how this should interact.

Edit: Missed part of the question. The resurrected troops lose their decoy counters, but then immediately get them back since you have a tunneled monsuun. When that one surfaces, if any of them have died, they'll come back again.

Zomnivore
11-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a sort of timmy thing that they would let in, and eventually who knows, maybe you can do something seemingly legit with it.

Phenteo
12-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Ben told me he is going to answer this. Just hang tight. :D

BenStoll
12-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Hey guys,

We have a handy-dandy set 2 FAQ that will be coming out to address all sorts of questions like this. Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the patience, and here is your answer:

1. In fact, you CANNOT have a Monsuun both tunneled and in play. This adds an extra little rule to Unique tunneling troops, but we felt that it was thematically just too goofy and completely at odds with what our Unique rule was trying to accomplish in the first place to allow both. The uniqueness rule will play out exactly in this scenario as it would with two Monsuuns in play under your control.

2. Aradon is correct when he says

From what I can read of the game rules:

2) Neither of these abilities use the chain, I believe, so they'll go on the chain in order of when you played each. Therefore, the tunneled Monsuun should trigger his ability first, and the enters-play trigger should go on top of that, then resolve. This means that every time, the in-play Monsuun will resurrect all your decoy troops, then remove decoy counters. Then, your tunneled Monsuun will put a decoy counter on the in-play Monsuun. He'll end up with a decoy counter.

However, as stated, the old Monsuun that was tunneled should be in your graveyard at this point so he will never surface.

Thanks!
Ben

MatWith1T
12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Hey Ben... no pressure but should we expect an actual citeable rulebook in the near future?

sukebe
12-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Hey Ben... no pressure but should we expect an actual citeable rulebook in the near future?

That would be much appreciated, some of the rules debates I have participated in got a bit a heated and having a rule book to point to would save a lot of time, anger, and annoyance :-)