PDA

View Full Version : Let's spitball some ideas for new Champions.

MajinRaiko
11-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Alright, so I was thinking, there's always a lot of discussion on new card ideas but what kind of champions do you think would work well in Hex?

As for me, I was thinking it would be nice to have a champion that could give you a type of threshold as their ability.

So say something like:

2 (or 3) charges: Add one of any kind of threshold.

Why? Well it certainly would make decks play out smoother, and at the cost of having the ability to generate mammoth squirrel titans or an army of artifact mini bots, it would also allow players to mix and match when it comes to things like socketing gems. So when you throw down your little Shamed Gladiator, it'd be nice to be able to use the swiftstrike Diamond Gem without having to dedicate like half your deck to the thing or work your deck in a way where you hope you get the resources.

So effectively you would be sacrificing your champion ability to make your deck more fluid and consistent amongst the cards being used. Less power to champion, more power to the cards.

I say 2 charges to be able to make it more frequently used as some games might end up having it where a 3 charge ability could only be used maybe once considering some decks, and a threshold addition is not really a broken concept considering you need resources rather than threshold. It would just help smooth things out better when you're running dual color like a blood/ruby deck, and you've got an appropriate amount of shards but they're only ever of one mixed color.

And in a game where we don't have a free mulligan to help us out? We could really use this even when we have four dual shards thrown into the deck (even if you add in the shards of fate card it still can manage to screw you over).

So what do you guys think? What are some of your ideas?

PhoenixMD
11-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Could be our first ARTIFACT champion :) A threshold giving artifact champion!
This could change the way game is played in high end competitive plays as well, for example, when the day comes, say the world championship series or even continental series.
This way, all you need is a couple of charges to send you on your way to the right threshold, and you don't have to suffer watching a guy in the finals fighting for $1m gets shard screwed twice in a row and loses the matches cause he couldn't get a second sap threshold.
Just an idea, to make an artifact champion the standard champion for high end games.

Zomnivore
11-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Omfg yes Artifact champion please?

Seriously?

Come on guys, plllllleeeeaassseeee.

Also representatives of the primals or demons. Oh, and as dragons....That would be sick.

Like have a tier of champions with raid boss level abilities but like built in deck limitations, and do it around rock league or some other league format where you fight as either a boss or as a normal champion...I want that. Soooooooooo much!

Would be so quick to implement a 'competitive' format that sort of parodies pve experiences by allowing people to just build their own boss deck, and fight people... mmmmmm

WolfCrypt
11-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Um... You do realize how broken and OP that ability is right? 3 mana to create any threshold you want? Champions powers some are speedy some are you'll use it once or twice but are incredibly powerful given circumstances. this is just broken and can be used to kick people's butts and this Champ become infamous as OP and everyone will complain.

MajinRaiko
11-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Could be our first ARTIFACT champion :) A threshold giving artifact champion!
This could change the way game is played in high end competitive plays as well, for example, when the day comes, say the world championship series or even continental series.
This way, all you need is a couple of charges to send you on your way to the right threshold, and you don't have to suffer watching a guy in the finals fighting for $1m gets shard screwed twice in a row and loses the matches cause he couldn't get a second sap threshold.
Just an idea, to make an artifact champion the standard champion for high end games.

Exactly! It would balance out the game so much by sacrificing the direct power of a champion for deck consistency! It would help the game in so many ways.

Omfg yes Artifact champion please?

Seriously?

Come on guys, plllllleeeeaassseeee.

Also representatives of the primals or demons. Oh, and as dragons....That would be sick.

Like have a tier of champions with raid boss level abilities but like built in deck limitations, and do it around rock league or some other league format where you fight as either a boss or as a normal champion...I want that. Soooooooooo much!

Would be so quick to implement a 'competitive' format that sort of parodies pve experiences by allowing people to just build their own boss deck, and fight people... mmmmmm

Yeah, not just an artifact but make him more specifically a construct to go with the lore of Hex along with the two Eternals.

Also that idea of higher champion abilities at the cost of deck limitation is AMAZING!!!! It's basically the exact counterpart to my idea.

Imagine, two players going head to head. One sacrificing ability for their deck power, the other sacrificing their deck power for ability. It'd be awesome! It'd almost be like the player themselves being a part of the action on the battlefield!

LOVE IT!!!

Um... You do realize how broken and OP that ability is right? 3 mana to create any threshold you want? Champions powers some are speedy some are you'll use it once or twice but are incredibly powerful given circumstances. this is just broken and can be used to kick people's butts and this Champ become infamous as OP and everyone will complain.

Wow. Seriously? Dude you didn't even give a reason WHY that would be considered 'broken'. As I just said, it's sacrificing the outright ability of the champion for more deck consistency, and considering we're getting 2 drop cards that give us three different kinds of thresholds at once, I think a 3 charge cost for one threshold is more than reasonable. If you think a card might be unbalanced, than say it in an adult way.

Giving up the ability to have a champion's ability incredibly affects the game. I've won so many games just by boost a high defense monster with lionel flynn. Artifact dwarves need to spawn in all those bots, and even the smallest ability like deal 1 damage/gain 1 health become very powerful when combo'd with certain cards (i.e. the ones that give effects when you gain health).

Giving that up for the power inherent in your deck's play style would be a great way to mix up gameplay. If anything, 3 charges would be almost too much for such an ability but it's good to keep it balanced since you have the crackling cards coming up as well as other ways to gain charge (need I also mention how those cards will make the previous abilities I mentioned more spammable now?)

WolfCrypt
11-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Okay then. I find a Champ with a increase threshold broken because it would mean you could easily defeat your enemy by have more mana then they can cope against. You have 3 mana you use the power then you get four and if you draw a shard consistently then your basically getting two mana every turn. Sure your waiting a turn but if your opponent has shard screw then this Champ would make them lose even faster and if their a newbie and that was their first game outside trails then that will possibly create bad reviews on HEX. I just don't see a increase threshold with such a spammably low number to use it viable. Sure most people only have 24 shards in deck but with your champ's ability it could be 48 mana if the dual goes that long. I just see it as a troll fest champ just waiting to happen.

sukebe
11-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Okay then. I find a Champ with a increase threshold broken because it would mean you could easily defeat your enemy by have more mana then they can cope against. You have 3 mana you use the power then you get four and if you draw a shard consistently then your basically getting two mana every turn. Sure your waiting a turn but if your opponent has shard screw then this Champ would make them lose even faster and if their a newbie and that was their first game outside trails then that will possibly create bad reviews on HEX. I just don't see a increase threshold with such a spammably low number to use it viable. Sure most people only have 24 shards in deck but with your champ's ability it could be 48 mana if the dual goes that long. I just see it as a troll fest champ just waiting to happen.

while I doubt the champ they are talking about will ever be created (pretty much makes your resource base unimportant and drastically reduces the difficulty of deck design) but you are definitely mixing threshold up with resources. they are separate things :-)

asdf2000
11-30-2014, 09:57 PM
threshold would probably be op too though
at least at 3.
you could play any shard combos you wanted..
even 5 color shards would be easy to get with the only downside being "not being able to play a different champion".

Xim
11-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Just some quick brain storming.
One that lowers cost of a card by -1 for one turn.
One that applys tunnling to target troop.
One who allows you to change a thresholds color.
One who polymorphs target troop into a random troop
We need one each for steadfast, crush, spellshield, swiftstrike if we dont have them already.
"Choose opposing troop and put into play under your control this turn"
One who gives a random champ ability.
"Target troop gets -1/-1"
"Sacrifice X troops gain X health"
"Revive target troop from a graveyard and put in play under your control"
"Gain <0/1>"
"Gain <2/0>"
Last, one who costs X charges to copy card of X cost in hand.

Some of these may actually exist but Im not looking right now. lol

Really would like to see a threshold swapper. would be top choice for tornys if its an artifact.

MajinRaiko
11-30-2014, 10:58 PM
at least at 3.
even 5 color shards would be easy to get with the only downside being "not being able to play a different champion".

Even in a dual color deck, that would mean you would have to gain 9 charges just to get a full 5 threshold. And that's only with one of each color still. There's not a whole lot of impact that will do by turn 9 if you actually look at it. And if you're thinking dual colored shards, that might speed up the process a tiny bit, but also using one each turn severely depletes you of using resources and good luck hoping you get the right color combos. There are actually easier ways to go about it when getting five colored thresholds.

And the downside of not having a direct champion ability IS very important.

There's a fine line between 'broken' and 'effective'. This is the latter. Just because it works and CAN be useful doesn't mean it's broken. By that logic, then the champion ability of letting you draw a card is broken, or letting you spawn in worker bots so easily, or even letting you create troops.

Like I said, fine line between broken and effective.

One that applys tunnling to target troop.
One who allows you to change a thresholds color.
One who polymorphs target troop into a random troop
We need one each for steadfast, crush, spellshield, swiftstrike if we dont have them already.
"Choose opposing troop and put into play under your control this turn"
One who gives a random champ ability.
"Target troop gets -1/-1"
"Sacrifice X troops gain X health"
"Revive target troop from a graveyard and put in play under your control"
"Gain <0/1>"
"Gain <2/0>"

Some of these may actually exist but Im not looking right now. lol

Really would like to see a threshold swapper. would be top choice for tornys if its an artifact.

I really like a lot of these ideas, especially the threshold swapper. That would actually be a pretty effective alternative if people are so worried.

bootlace
11-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I suggested some colorless Champions a few weeks back when we were discussing ways that Hex can allow players to mitigate bad starting hands/resource screw:

Threshold and charges address color screw and flood respectively, but resource screw has strangely been left untouched.

How about using some colorless champions to address the issue. Imagine abilities like this:

-0: Once per game you may discard a card in your hand and transform it into a colorless shard.
-Passive: If you would draw 0,1,6,7 shards, you may get 1 free mulligan.
-0: Discard two cards, gain 0/1.
etc..

Above examples are not balanced but something could be worked out. Then they could balance these abilties like they do any new champions and make it equally powerful to the champions we have access to now. You can choose resource insurance if you want, but that will be at the cost of that -1/-1 ability Zared would have given you if you picked him instead. Champions could be rotated out/nerfed/banned if they feel one is not balanced. This does not mess with past or future cards and doesn't introduce a lengthy new feature to implement.

Thoughts?

Patrigan
12-01-2014, 02:51 AM

Nobody seems to clarify it properly for you.

First of all, the OP does not talk about paying resources, he talks about paying charges, as you would do with all champions. This is something entirely different altogether. You only gain a charge when you play a resource from your hand, so he could do it earliest on turn 3 and turn 6 (maybe more often if he had some other charge generation.)

Secondly, gaining treshold does not give you more resources. Just treshold. This means that you can more easily play multicolor cards, but not more cards.

These essential differences make the card pretty balanced. However, it has a downside. Pro-players want consistency, this gives them consistency. So even though it's not overpowered, it'll still be played more than most other champions. CZE wants to avoid such champions.

Edit: missed sukebe's post, so it was clarified after all xD

poizonous
12-01-2014, 03:18 AM
problem with a threshold champion is it opens up poor deck building. such as a deck running only ruby shards but having a bunch of blood and wild cards with the champion power to cover their threshold

Tarquin
12-01-2014, 03:45 AM
[5]: Target Champion swaps his deck with Target Champion.

poizonous
12-01-2014, 04:05 AM
[5]: Target Champion swaps his deck with Target Champion.

aka 60 shard deck and screw your opponent

PhoenixMD
12-01-2014, 05:54 AM
A threshold champion should work like a shard of fate. only gives the threshold that is already in the deck as a STANDARD resource.

PureVapes
12-01-2014, 06:13 AM

I also want to see a champion that can target cards in your hand, modifying them somehow, like Shrine of Prosperity does but more tactically/thematically. It could also apply the same change to all copies of that card in all zones, making Escalation cards or Pack Raptor more viable.

asdf2000
12-01-2014, 06:25 AM
A threshold champion should work like a shard of fate. only gives the threshold that is already in the deck as a STANDARD resource.

that's still strong, but much more reasonable I think

Jinxies
12-01-2014, 06:26 AM
I'd like to see something like these:

[3]: The next time you would gain a threshold this turn you may choose any threshold from shards in your deck instead.

[2]Sapphire: Shuffle target card in a discard pile back into it's owner's deck.

[3]Blood Blood: Look at target opponent's hand.

[2]Sapphire: Look at the top card of your deck, you may then shuffle your deck.

[6]Diamond Diamond: Your opponents may not play cards this turn.

[5]Wild Wild: Target troop you control fights another troop.

[3] Ruby Ruby: Target troop gains permanent Fast.

essif
12-01-2014, 07:01 AM
I would love to see the following power added to all champions.

Cost: 5 life, discard a card: Gain 0/1 (you cannot play a ressource this turn)

If too powerfull, increase the lifecost, or make the card discard random or two cards.

Erukk
12-01-2014, 07:58 AM
The Great Flying Spaghetti Monster

[10] DSBRW: You win the game.

MajinRaiko
12-01-2014, 08:15 AM
problem with a threshold champion is it opens up poor deck building. such as a deck running only ruby shards but having a bunch of blood and wild cards with the champion power to cover their threshold

Deck building is already a poor concept to begin with in resource based games. RNG is too great of a factor especially considering how easily you get resource screwed.

And besides, how can you run a 'bunch of blood and wild cards' when all you have is ruby shards and it costs you 3 just to generate a blood or wild threshold? To get the most effectiveness out of that then, you basically want to ensure at least 2 threshold of both colors, meaning that's 12 turns! At the least! And that means you'd have to be constantly drawing resources the whole game to keep that up. Wow. See, there's a difference between 'idea' and 'practice', just like there's a fine line between 'effective' and 'broken'.

[3]: The next time you would gain a threshold this turn you may choose any threshold from shards in your deck instead.

Really love these ideas. Awesome and effective, yet quite balanced.

WolfCrypt
12-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Those ideas don't sound very good and if my assumption is correct and I think I have said card there is already a card that makes two monsters fight. I'm not being mean but I don't really think any of those ideas are 'balanced' what good is seeing top card if you shuffle your deck? That idea does not word it specifically so that idea basically a moot point. Also who would want a card based off that stupid spaghetti god crap?

Erukk
12-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Also who would want a card based off that stupid spaghetti god crap?

It was suppose to be a joke entry, but if you really want to make it fit, I guess you could turn it into a Voidtouched/Chaostouched champion. :)

Though, now that I think about it. I would probably changed his charge power to 12-15 or so, since we're getting a bunch of spells that add charge power soon.

WolfCrypt
12-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Oh haha I tend to take things too seriously...

MajinRaiko
12-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Those ideas don't sound very good and if my assumption is correct and I think I have said card there is already a card that makes two monsters fight. I'm not being mean but I don't really think any of those ideas are 'balanced' what good is seeing top card if you shuffle your deck? That idea does not word it specifically so that idea basically a moot point. Also who would want a card based off that stupid spaghetti god crap?

There's also a card that creates battle hoppers and work bots, and can give attack boosts or give someone -1/-1.

And obviously you didn't read carefully when he said MAY shuffle it back into your deck. It basically allows you to prevent a dead draw when you might need a good top deck.

You didn't really PROVE how anything was a bad idea. Folks, if you're gonna say 'no' to something, give a logical reason and example of why it wouldn't work.

I'm tired of seeing people on these forums simply go "WAH WAH! I don't like that idea! Idea iz dumzzz! RAAGGEEEE!!"

vickrpg
12-01-2014, 11:49 AM

A.I.R. - Adaptbile infusion Robot, I like it.

I actually think this is broken. With charge bots, induction coils, shrines of prosperity and who knows what from Set 2, and the fact that we cannot make champions lose a charge or prevent it (from sources) makes this too easy to reach... 20 is better, maybe 15. or just make it more progenitous-y. DDSSBBRRWW[10]

katkillad
12-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Shovelier: [6] Destroy tunneled troop. Would probably be primarily a limited format champion. Would probably be saph or ruby threshold.

Voormas
12-01-2014, 02:33 PM
[4] Put a Zombie into play

Simple and to the point :)

sukebe
12-01-2014, 02:35 PM
at least at 3.

I agree with you on that. I just wanted to point out that threshold and resources were not the same as someone seemed confused on that issue :-)

I feel the ability would be more balanced at a cost of 4 charges. It is a hefty price for sure but it is a strong ability so I feel it justified.

These seem pretty balanced to me :-) Only thing I can say is that the sapphire ability you have there has so far been show to be a diamond ability (loregoyle) but I don't see why it couldn't be shared between shards.

As is clear from what I said above, I would have to disagree with this entire post of yours. Also, I love the flying spaghetti monster so I would love to see cards that relate to it (I also agree with another poster that it would fit well with the chaostouched, I would call it "Ittehgaps Monster :-) )

A.I.R. - Adaptbile infusion Robot, I like it.

I actually think this is broken. With charge bots, induction coils, shrines of prosperity and who knows what from Set 2, and the fact that we cannot make champions lose a charge or prevent it (from sources) makes this too easy to reach... 20 is better, maybe 15. or just make it more progenitous-y. DDSSBBRRWW[10]

Yes, 20 would be a better number. still possible in the right deck but not something that could be easily done :-)

asdf2000
12-01-2014, 07:19 PM
that 6 cost diamond diamond ability is a cool idea, but I think 6 is way too high for how niche it is. I think 5 or even 4 would be better. I mean people can still quick action in response to it, right? And it's not even useful vs a lot of decks since you can only use it on your turn (if its like all other champ abilities).

Also, regarding the "win the game" champion, I think 10 is too little and 20 is too much. Maybe 15. Sure there are cards that help you gain charges but... you would be playing cards that do very little to nothing for you over a lot of turns.

Gwaer
12-01-2014, 07:20 PM
I dunno, guaranteeing that your opponent can't play combat tricks is pretty strong, even if they can quick action in response, it forces them to use everything they feel they need to up front rather than waiting for the optimal time.

sukebe
12-01-2014, 08:50 PM
that 6 cost diamond diamond ability is a cool idea, but I think 6 is way too high for how niche it is. I think 5 or even 4 would be better. I mean people can still quick action in response to it, right? And it's not even useful vs a lot of decks since you can only use it on your turn (if its like all other champ abilities).

Also, regarding the "win the game" champion, I think 10 is too little and 20 is too much. Maybe 15. Sure there are cards that help you gain charges but... you would be playing cards that do very little to nothing for you over a lot of turns.

I can see 15 being fair if there were a way to stop the ability from triggering. I figured 20 would be fair because so far there is nothing that can stop champion powers from triggering.

As for the diamond ability, I agree it could probably be 5 charges and still be fair but it is a strong ability so I figure pricing it cautiously was a reasonable idea.

On a related note, does anyone know if they said anything about changing the abilities of pvp champions for balance purposes? Like if they printed a pvp champion with the diamond ability the poster suggested at 6 charges but decided it was to expensive would they be willing/able to make it 5 cost to be more competitive without breaking any promises? I think it would be fair as they only said that our pvp cards would be banned instead of changed, nothing about not changing the pvp champs :-)

PhoenixMD
12-02-2014, 01:37 AM
Even 20 charges might not be enough as we have been introduced so many set 2 charge generating cards, even a resource card gives 2 charges!

Gwaer
12-02-2014, 02:14 AM
I don't think a straight up victory condition based on charges is not a particularly good idea. Maybe with a sufficient amount of charge denial/removal... But that just seems counter to the point of charges, it's supposed to be there to mitigate a particular type of variance. Having mechanics for removing it seems suboptimal.

Tarquin
12-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Goblin's cooking pot removes charges from enemies.

that + welding bots would help

Gwaer
12-02-2014, 02:38 AM
It's very limited charge removal though, and goblin cooking pot is op, and totally under appreciated. =P From what I saw at gencon set 2 is going to have vastly improved means of gaining charges.

havocattack
12-02-2014, 04:04 AM
I think some fun charge powers (less competitive) with some random stuff could be fun, such as...

Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire threshold, cost 3-4? When used, howling can be heard by both players, the more howls the better the effect.

1 howl = pup enters play and distracts a random troop you own for 1 turn (cannot be used at all)
2 howls = ?
3 howls = ?
4 howls = a random great wolf enters play (oh snap!)

MajinRaiko
12-02-2014, 07:11 AM
I think some fun charge powers (less competitive) with some random stuff could be fun, such as...

Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire threshold, cost 3-4? When used, howling can be heard by both players, the more howls the better the effect.

1 howl = pup enters play and distracts a random troop you own for 1 turn (cannot be used at all)
2 howls = ?
3 howls = ?
4 howls = a random great wolf enters play (oh snap!)

Hmm, so sort of like the whole troll mercanary thing with 'farts on enemy' and 'chicken!' they have going.

Also, what highly trained soldier or hellspawn WOULDN'T be distracted by a puppy? lol.

havocattack
12-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Hmm, so sort of like the whole troll mercanary thing with 'farts on enemy' and 'chicken!' they have going.

Also, what highly trained soldier or hellspawn WOULDN'T be distracted by a puppy? lol.

arf arf! :D

MajinRaiko
12-02-2014, 08:19 AM
arf arf! :D

Zakiir like puppy.

Whye
12-02-2014, 08:50 AM
I can see the OP's champ being introduced once we are many sets in.

The champion could be limited to the eternal format that has been promised, where all pvp cards are available, so running 5 shard good stuff.dec would be popular, but since it is eternal, you would have to pick and choose what cards to run.

Compare to legacy and modern in mtg. There you effectively have perfect color fixing, but there is a wide assortment of viable archetypes.

Please let me brew the wacky combo decks without having to worry as much about my thresholds!

sukebe
12-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think a straight up victory condition based on charges is not a particularly good idea. Maybe with a sufficient amount of charge denial/removal... But that just seems counter to the point of charges, it's supposed to be there to mitigate a particular type of variance. Having mechanics for removing it seems suboptimal.

I actually agree. I just ran with it because it was a fun idea and Flying Spaghetti monster was mentioned :-) It could work well as a merc though as we already have an instant win merc that should be easier to get working (Busi Buk? always forget the name though)

Zomnivore
12-02-2014, 11:19 PM
I'd like to see some spirits and undead summoners, guys that sort of broach the grave in terms of effects...

Dinosaurs need Dinosaur champion.

Minotaur 3 charges deal 1 damage to enemy champion and destroy a charge.

RCDv57
12-04-2014, 12:27 AM
*Gain a charge*

israel.kendall
01-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Was talking about this in game chat the other day. We need a dingler champ. Maybe 7 or 8 charges, a few sapphire threshold, turn target troop into a dingler. Champ could maybe be a dingler or something crazy eating dinglers.

NOBLERoostasaur
01-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Dinosaurs need Dinosaur champion.

I couldn't agree more.

Charge Power: (4) Consume troops. Sac a troop gain their current DEF to your health total.

israel.kendall
01-11-2015, 01:55 PM
Or "target dinosaur evolves into a random dinosaur with +2cost". Would obviously need many more Dino troops in the game to really make that work.

Zomnivore
01-12-2015, 12:10 AM
"Dinososo" The Cromag.

5 charge

"Target troop you control battles target troop"

or

"Big Chompa" The Glutin-free-saur.

8 charge

Sacrifice target troop you control gain health equal to its [ATK]+[DEF]

I think you're right though, dinosaurs need to eat things and gain health, or maybe feed stuff to their brood.

Erukk
01-12-2015, 02:22 AM
(I have no idea how the naming scheme of unique gargoyles will work, other than the leader of the Ashen named "Mortar", so I'll just leave them blank.)

_______, the Sculptor
Champion- Gargoyle Mage

Charge Power, (4)(D)(D): Target troop gains defensive.

_______, Ashen Spy
Champion- Gargoyle Rogue

Charge Power, (4)(S): Target troop gains "Whenever this troop deals combat damage to a champion, you may draw a card".

KingGabriel
01-12-2015, 03:03 AM
Pssh, i prefer my champion ideas http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=40159&highlight=request

israel.kendall
01-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Shameless self promotion post, you sir are deducted 1.27 DSC! LOL jk