PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Destiny - Humans

Shaqattaq
12-01-2014, 10:09 AM
by Matt Dunn

If there’s one word that describes the Humans, it is unity. Their greatest strength lies in their ability to bring people together and they are at their most formidable when working in harmony with one another. In Shards of Fate we saw this expressed with Inspire, which allowed an army of Humans to become increasingly more threatening as the later arrivals were inspired to greatness by the earlier troops.

http://www.hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-humans/

MatWith1T
12-01-2014, 10:19 AM
"This's"?
Really?
:p

the_artic_one
12-01-2014, 10:28 AM
I get that it's for balance but it's kind of funny to me that a sickly old monk is a 2/2.

Gregzilla
12-01-2014, 10:33 AM
How else would he be able to put whippersnappers in their place?

eimerian
12-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Can someone explain this "this"-craziness that we see with Shattered Destiny spoilers please?
For example: What is wrong exactly with Alwyn's text reading "this troop's attack and defense"?

When "this" appeared on the GenCon cards, I thought it was just hastily written work-in-progress text, but apparently "this" is what the developers are going for?

ossuary
12-01-2014, 10:57 AM
"this" is terrible... Alwyn showcases how bad it really is better than any other card we've seen so far. I really, really, really hope CZE changes their mind on "this." It's truly awful.

Scammanator
12-01-2014, 11:06 AM
EDIT: Nevermind, my post here wasn't entirely true. More accurate explanation promised by Shaq below.

------------

It's a formatting display bug. When they script the abilities they use a "this" flag to self-reference the card. The "this" flag is then supposed to reference the card's name dynamically and insert it into the ability text. That way if a card's name is changed the ability text should update (which is most relevant for buffs that persist through transformations).

Either the bug that was causing "this" to fail to translate is either still around or the image for Alwyn was taken while the bug was still occurring.

No, I have no idea where to find my source for this information... sorry.

Shaqattaq
12-01-2014, 11:13 AM
We have an article coming up that will explain the formatting change and why using "this troop's" language, for example, can be confusing in a digital game where card types and even the cards themselves can change during a game.

poizonous
12-01-2014, 11:23 AM
if this troop can become confusing then why not just say"this card's " simply saying "this" Will never be a better option

eimerian
12-01-2014, 11:25 AM
if this troop can become confusing then why not just say"this card's " simply saying "this" Will never be a better option

This!

MatWith1T
12-01-2014, 11:35 AM
This!

This's!

Shaqattaq
12-01-2014, 11:43 AM
This's!

Ok, this is p funny.

ossuary
12-01-2014, 11:44 AM
We have an article coming up that will explain the formatting change and why using "this troop's" language, for example, can be confusing in a digital game where card types and even the cards themselves can change during a game.

This's under any circumstances is TERRIBLE. We don't need to wait for an article to bring that up. ;)

Please, at the absolute least, consider changing it from "this" to "this card." :p

fabriazp
12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
This's under any circumstances is TERRIBLE. We don't need to wait for an article to bring that up. ;)

Please, at the absolute least, consider changing it from "this" to "this card." :p

This ^. lol

You are right. Even when english isn't my main languaje it sound really awkward when reading

Daer
12-01-2014, 12:17 PM
If the (superior) 'this troop' is problematic for changing card types, etc. can't you dynamically change the text on the card? Taking advantage of the whole digital portion of digital card game. Example, when it's a troop card it says 'this troop', if the card changes into an action card the text dynamically changes to 'this action'.

Axle
12-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Dynamically changing the casting of the card still requires the user to be confused before it activates on your first time using it. You would need someone to tell you it works that way perhaps before you even find out. Because logically it wouldn't from the given card texts..You wouldn't put two and two together. You could say that it works that way on the card that manipulates the type, but it would be long and awkward. You would have to specify it is treated as a troop entering play, but also specify that it does not trigger the effects of other cards that happen when a troop enters play.

Another solution would be a keyword for cards that manipulate type. Therefore it does not take up text space, but also can be mouse hovered over to explain the long solution. That would be a good use of digital space too.

Shaqattaq
12-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Hey all. I apologize, that previous Alwyn pic had a display error when it was captured as an image. This is the way that Alwyn should read, and this is the way we plan for him to appear when Shattered Destiny releases.

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Alwyn-Correct.png

BossHoss
12-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Hey all. I apologize, that previous Alwyn pic had a display error when it was captured as an image. This is the way that Alwyn should read, and this is the way we plan for him to appear when Shattered Destiny releases.

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Alwyn-Correct.png

Whew... When I first read it, all I could think was Snoop Dogg and Warren G in the background as I cast Alwyn "Like this, and like that and like this's and uh"

SacrificialToast
12-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Yeah, that's a lot better. I don't mind "this" at all, but "this's" was very silly.

Glae
12-01-2014, 01:34 PM
The only worse way to write on a card than "this" is "this's." It just looks so wrong. There is still no reason not to use "this card" or "this card's."

Please change it to "this card" before Set 2 is released. We know you aren't changing released cards, so please change it before its too late. "This's" isn't even grammatically correct.

Edit: yay! Its been fixed. One "this" down, possibly hundreds more to go! So happy it didn't just becomes "that's."

Edswor
12-01-2014, 01:47 PM
It seems I'm the only one that is fine with "this". This is fine. This want's our love. Let this enter your life.

SacrificialToast
12-01-2014, 02:19 PM
This is how it's meant to be.

ossuary
12-01-2014, 03:15 PM
This's wants our love.

"Fixed" it for you. :p

YourOpponent
12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Anybody else think that Alwyn looks Cary Elwes (Westley from Princess Bride) trying to appear like a monkish version of the grandpa from Princess Bride?

Malicus
12-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Anybody else think that Alwyn looks Cary Elwes (Westley from Princess Bride) trying to appear like a monkish version of the grandpa from Princess Bride?

I thought it looks like Powers Boothe.

Voormas
12-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I thought the proper grammatical rule for a possessive ending in s would be this'

Either way cool card :)

Daer
12-02-2014, 06:35 AM

I thought it looks like Powers Boothe.

I thought he was Stacy Keach.

DocX
12-02-2014, 06:44 AM
From a gameplay standpoint, Alwyn's a good card.

From a lore standpoint, I was hoping for something . . . different. Something to do with diamond/ruby/sapphire thresholds given his knowledge of the hexing gems. And I was wanting a lower drop since Alwyn's not really a mid level guy (and I'd say more, but do not want to be accused of spoiling anything). I just know I'll cringe a little inside if I ever see anyone cast Bravery (or any combat buff for that matter) on Alwyn.

ossuary
12-02-2014, 07:13 AM
At the very least, he should be Defensive. Thematically. :)

hex_colin
12-02-2014, 11:23 AM
At the very least, he should be Defensive. Thematically. :)

Wait until you try to reconcile his condition in the books with Will's favorite (and OP) hexing gem! ;)

ossuary
12-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Wait until you try to reconcile his condition in the books with Will's favorite (and OP) hexing gem! ;)

Already done and complained about in the Lore forum. ;)

TheSwallowsNest
12-02-2014, 01:59 PM
I wish this thread could be deleted and we start over discussing this card.