PDA

View Full Version : November VIP Undefeated Decklists

Shaqattaq
12-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Here are the undefeated decklists from Novemberís VIP Constructed tournaments.

http://www.hextcg.com/vip-november-undefeated-decklists/

Axle
12-04-2014, 11:54 AM
3 Color Inspire gettin in there again :D
And by 2 people this time (Myself and BlackRoger)

Wild makes 3 appearances. Not bad but still the least represented shard. Looking forward to set 2 possibly changing that.

Resand
12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
So just a selection of the undefeated right? The post doesn't really say so with the "Here are the undefeated decklists", but this isn't all of them.

Shaqattaq
12-04-2014, 12:08 PM
If there's a missing undefeated decklists, players should post their in-game player name (family name) and the tournament they entered. We'll chase it down.

Axle
12-04-2014, 12:09 PM
8 people go 4-0 in a tournament of 128 people
There were 6 tournaments
8*6 = 48

However sometimes the tournaments didn't exactly fill up so there would be 6 or 7 4-0s and some people 4-0'd more than once and you can't list them twice if they're playing the same deck. I think they launched two tournaments at once before but the numbers in the second tournament were rather low so it only adds a couple 4-0s to the maximum 48 decks.

There are 43 decks.
Seems about right to me give or take a few people maybe.

Scammanator
12-04-2014, 12:09 PM
I love the Zodiac Shaman hanging out in Fishfeet's Blood/Ruby deck.

Pity doublebacks aren't in yet. I'd pay money for a Zodiac Shaman that has a VIP trophy.

ossuary
12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
That is some stale-ass meta. :)

Bring on November 39th!

Resand
12-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Well wasn't going to make a big thing out of it, figured it was just a selection, but if I'm one of the few missing. Went 4/0 in tournament 10361024. IGN Silvermoor. Just a boring old 2pac deck, but still.

Arkios
12-04-2014, 02:25 PM
3 Color Inspire gettin in there again :D
And by 2 people this time (Myself and BlackRoger)

Wild makes 3 appearances. Not bad but still the least represented shard. Looking forward to set 2 possibly changing that.

I tried to rep the tri-color inspire, but ended up going 3-1. (Lost to Ironblood 2-1 in the 4th round)

It's definitely way stronger than people give it credit for and is probably going to be even stronger in Set 2.

Axle
12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I tried to rep the tri-color inspire, but ended up going 3-1. (Lost to Ironblood 2-1 in the 4th round)

It's definitely way stronger than people give it credit for and is probably going to be even stronger in Set 2.

Ah. That sucks.
And the deck being way better in set 2? From the cards so far I'm not so sure. I'm kinda thinking of shelving the deck in set 2 if we don't get anything amazing.

My untested opinion of the cards so far is:
-Shimmer is too expensive outside of Queen but that requires you to open queen ( a unique)
-Queen is a unique which sucks but her ramp is welcome. I could see 2 copies sneaking in. I like her a lot.
-Alywn is obviously best paired with the Queen so he inspires Falcons too but otherwise there are problems since he doesn't do much as a 4 drop. Turn 4 is when things get tough which is where Falconer comes in with 3 super soldier inspired blockers or you can play 3 cost inspire + hold 1 resource for Burn. Maybe I'm underestimating this card but unless you draw Queen I don't like 4 drop inspires at all. He himself is also a Unique. GRRRR
- Royal Valk is interesting (3/4 Flight, Draw 1, Deal 3 damage). It's a +2 on play but being a 6 drop I'm not sure. Probably too expensive UNLESS you are playing the Queen strategy (more on that later)
-3 Cost Kraken isn't good. Especially in the already crowded 3 cost range.
-3 cost Pyromancer is fine. Obviously a lot better than the 2 cost when in grave.
-Cerulean Mirror Magi needs Queen to be good in inspire. Otherwise it could see play in some higher curve wild deck?
-Exalted Victory is a draft only card.
-Timestep Magistrate is sorta gimmicky. Kinda "win-moar". He requires Gawaine or Falconer to be already on the board and costs a total 5 mana to use his ability.
-Royal Cutblood is really good obv but doesn't make the deck.
-Wounded Warhero..yeah no.
-War Prodigy requires his own specific deck and I agree with most people that we need more threshold support before he shines.
-Royal Herald is mostly for drafts and the War Prodigy strategy.
-Town Crier sounds decent. We'll see how he ends up. I like him but he does require board presence. His use will depend on where the meta goes. Also falls into Alywn's case of a 4 drop not doing anything and not being a very good blocker against aggressive strategies.

There's just no "wow omg amazing" card spoiled so far.

As you noticed I've mentioned Queen a lot. She interestingly just makes a lot more cards more appealing. From the set 2 cards I could actually see the deck go in a direction where it moves to higher curve troops. Queen certainly supports that. Her Unique property is just really annoying for a 2 drop that you would want to max to 4 copies. I'll still try a build maxing 4 copies, Unique be damned. Let me know what you think on that. I think posting here is okay since it's about competitive constructed.

Armies
12-04-2014, 03:05 PM
I feel dirty about the number of my unchanged deck lists on that list

Shaqattaq
12-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Well wasn't going to make a big thing out of it, figured it was just a selection, but if I'm one of the few missing. Went 4/0 in tournament 10361024. IGN Silvermoor. Just a boring old 2pac deck, but still.

I believe we found it listed under the name "Aether," Is that your deck?

meowstef
12-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I love the Zodiac Shaman hanging out in Fishfeet's Blood/Ruby deck.

Pity doublebacks aren't in yet. I'd pay money for a Zodiac Shaman that has a VIP trophy.
lol that was pretty much why I put the shaman in there even if it does not work at the moment

With the one example of double back we have seen having 10 win as a prerequisite it seem possible tourament wins will be a rather generic requirement
plus it was funny

Arkios
12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Reply is in quotes in bold. :)

Ah. That sucks.
And the deck being way better in set 2? From the cards so far I'm not so sure. I'm kinda thinking of shelving the deck in set 2 if we don't get anything amazing.

My untested opinion of the cards so far is:
-Shimmer is too expensive outside of Queen but that requires you to open queen ( a unique)
I agree, although I have had plenty of games that go to the 8+ turn range, she ends up being a dead card most of the time.

-Queen is a unique which sucks but her ramp is welcome. I could see 2 copies sneaking in. I like her a lot.
Yeah she is a tricky one because of the unique stamp. I don't know how much value she actually brings later in the game either. Fantastic early drop, but I don't know that she holds much value later on. I run Victoria in my version, so could add value by giving me an invincible blocker, but that's probably more gimmicky then it is actually viable. I'll be testing with a couple and they might actually take my spot where I run Angels just because I hate being forced to try and drop a diamond shard 1st/2nd turn.

-Alywn is obviously best paired with the Queen so he inspires Falcons too but otherwise there are problems since he doesn't do much as a 4 drop. Turn 4 is when things get tough which is where Falconer comes in with 3 super soldier inspired blockers or you can play 3 cost inspire + hold 1 resource for Burn. Maybe I'm underestimating this card but unless you draw Queen I don't like 4 drop inspires at all. He himself is also a Unique. GRRRR
I pretty much completely agree here as well. I prefer to keep the inspires in the 3-drop range so they all inspire each other and like you said allows you to play an inspire and hold a resource open for burn if you don't have a falconer to drop on turn 4. I'm going to test with him because while I don't like the 4 cost, having him get pumped by a Protectorate alone makes him a 3/3 that turns all your other higher drops into complete beasts. I think he's worth testing, but probably won't be that great most of the time

- Royal Valk is interesting (3/4 Flight, Draw 1, Deal 3 damage). It's a +2 on play but being a 6 drop I'm not sure. Probably too expensive UNLESS you are playing the Queen strategy (more on that later)
I like the card draw aspect, but I feel like in almost every situation I would rather just drop a Legionaire of Gawaine. I don't know where she would fit in the deck, unless you swap her in for another high cost troop and I just don't see her being more valuable than a Falconer or Gawaine. Maybe she takes the spot of Angel? I don't know, I just feel like there isn't room for her and Gawaine is pretty much always better (especially if there is Princess Vic or Cerulean Mentalist inspiring him). She could potentially be a nice finisher though since you can hit them directly for 3 and with speed you're swinging in with 3 more damage (pre-inspiration). Worth testing, but I'm not super excited about this card.

-3 Cost Kraken isn't good. Especially in the already crowded 3 cost range.
Agreed. I don't play shield trainer, not going to play this guy either unless I find him to be really good against certain matchups. I just don't see the value unless you were playing a slower game and trying to stall for Lady Shimmer

-3 cost Pyromancer is fine. Obviously a lot better than the 2 cost when in grave.
I'm not even sure he takes the spot of Ruby Pyromancer. Being a 3/1 he dies to everything under the sun and since CMK is the only other 2 drop, I'm not sure I want to stick even more troops into the 3-drop spot. Having nothing but burns or CMK until turn 3 is a little worrisome, especially against aggro matchups. As you said, strictly better when in the graveyard though.

-Cerulean Mirror Magi needs Queen to be good in inspire. Otherwise it could see play in some higher curve wild deck?
I wish this guy was a 4 cost, because then I would actually look at playing him. At 5 cost just requires too much work to make playable (Queen or Mindcallers needed).

-Exalted Victory is a draft only card.
Agreed.

-Timestep Magistrate is sorta gimmicky. Kinda "win-moar". He requires Gawaine or Falconer to be already on the board and costs a total 5 mana to use his ability.
Agreed, definitely win-more. He has a weak body on his own, not worth playing here.

-Royal Cutblood is really good obv but doesn't make the deck.
If I don't maindeck her, I am definitely putting her in the sideboard. She demands immediate removal and can win you the game on her own if she isn't answered. At 3 cost she gets inspired by everything, so she could have a bigger body if buffed by Protectorate and synergizes well with Cerulean mentalist too. I love this card.

-Wounded Warhero..yeah no.
Definite trash

-War Prodigy requires his own specific deck and I agree with most people that we need more threshold support before he shines.
Agreed here as well. He has no value in the grave and too much work to get his effect going.

-Royal Herald is mostly for drafts and the War Prodigy strategy.
Yeah don't think this deck needs this type of shard fixing. Feels consistent already without it.

-Town Crier sounds decent. We'll see how he ends up. I like him but he does require board presence. His use will depend on where the meta goes. Also falls into Alywn's case of a 4 drop not doing anything and not being a very good blocker against aggressive strategies.
I think he will be decent and I love the cycling effect. You're right though that he requires some board presence otherwise he's unplayable. I like him and will probably run 2-3 of him. I played around with Dream Dance before in this deck and Town Crier feels like a strictly better version. (Inspired by everything, all cards are human and allows you to cycle/dump inspires into the grave if wanted)

There's just no "wow omg amazing" card spoiled so far.

As you noticed I've mentioned Queen a lot. She interestingly just makes a lot more cards more appealing. From the set 2 cards I could actually see the deck go in a direction where it moves to higher curve troops. Queen certainly supports that. Her Unique property is just really annoying for a 2 drop that you would want to max to 4 copies. I'll still try a build maxing 4 copies, Unique be damned. Let me know what you think on that. I think posting here is okay since it's about competitive constructed.
I think Queen is going to be the most interesting card because it's hard to say how well it is going to work without playtesting it. I'm actually partial to Lady Shimmer even though she is 8 cost, so I really want to test out Queen and see how she plays. I hate the Unique tag, but still being a 1/3 with an exhaust allows for a decent early blocker and you can still get value from her effect.

Axle
12-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah I'd play Cutblood too. I was just saying that she doesn't make me think the deck is playable enough for set 2. Not that anyone truly knows what the set 2 metagame is but it does seem a lot stronger than set 1 for a lot of shards. And true I probably wouldn't play 3 costed Pyro unless I replaced the 2 cost with something in the same curve and I was running out of other good inspires to put in.

Resand
12-04-2014, 11:32 PM
I believe we found it listed under the name "Aether," Is that your deck?

Yes, same deck that ran. So all decks, but only one of each 75 in the list?

Chark
12-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Yes, same deck that ran. So all decks, but only one of each 75 in the list?

No, the is deck yours. For whatever reason the export I used from the db didn't get your name or champion. I was able to guess the champion pretty easily and added a placeholder name thinking that nobody pays attention to that stuff anyways. Apparently I was wrong. :) I fixed the name.

All decks are listed and not just a selection of undefeated lists.

ossuary
12-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Ooh, love the new avatar, Chark. What is it? :)

Chark
12-05-2014, 06:32 PM

It's me.

ossuary
12-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Glasses on, hair down, lights off.

Beck
12-05-2014, 08:21 PM
Glasses on, hair down, lights off.

I've made a huge mistake.

Voormas
12-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Minotaur Yeti-Hunter

ossuary
12-05-2014, 11:12 PM
I've made a huge mistake.

HerMANO!

Beck
12-06-2014, 06:50 AM
HerMANO!

You're a good guy mon frere

LNQ
12-07-2014, 04:41 AM
I took four years of Spanish.

EntropyBall
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure when you added the mouseover card previews to the deck list articles, but its a really great feature. Lots of players going to those articles are not going to know all the cards by name, and it helps immensely to have it there. Props to your web team.
Edit: Now if you can just find a good way of linking the gem abilities. I've been playing since alpha and still don't remember what they do by name.