PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Destiny Awaits

Shaqattaq
12-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Hi HEXers! We’re just a few days away from the launch of the Shattered Destiny expansion on Tuesday, December 9th! Today’s piece will prepare you for all the changes coming to HEX.

http://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-destiny-awaits/

Gwaer
12-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Just refreshed hextcg.com to be told to go play destiny? =P

poizonous
12-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Okay first off, love the Collector Tier AA's, kinda jelly i dont have them

Arkios
12-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Please... my heart can't take all these amazing spoilers!!!

Poetic
12-05-2014, 06:16 PM
That wild AA is gorgeous. So excited to be getting a playset.

Chark
12-05-2014, 06:23 PM
In case people are curious about post set 2 limited events. Here is how they break down:

Draft Queue with Set Shattered Destiny
Players: 8

Entry fee options:
700 plat
2x Shattered Destiny + 1x Shards of Fate + 100 plat
1x Shattered Destiny + 1x Shards of Fate + 300 plat
2x Shattered Destiny + 300 plat
1x Shattered Destiny + 500 plat
1x Shards of Fate + 500 plat

Prizes:
3 wins = 2xSet 2 Boosters, 1xSet 1 Boosters, 20,000 gold
2 wins = 1xSet 2 Boosters, 1xSet 1 Boosters, 12,000 gold
1 wins = 1xSet 2 Boosters pack, 5000 gold
0 wins = 0 packs, 5000 gold

Format: Shattered Destiny, Shattered Destiny, Shards of Fate draft order. Swiss

Competitive Draft Queue with Shattered Destiny

Entry fee options:
700 plat
2x Shattered Destiny + 1x Shards of Fate + 100 plat
1x Shattered Destiny + 1x Shards of Fate + 300 plat
2x Shattered Destiny + 300 plat
1x Shattered Destiny + 500 plat
1x Shards of Fate + 500 plat

Prizes:
1st = 4x Shattered Destiny, 1x Shards of Fate. 20,000 gold
2nd = 2x Shattered Destiny, 1x Shards of Fate. 17,000 gold
3rd/4th = 1x Shattered Destiny, 1x Shards of Fate. 10,000 gold
5th-8th = 5,000 gold

Format:
Shattered Destiny, Shattered Destiny, Shards of Fate draft order. Single elimination.

Sealed Queue with Shattered Destiny

Entry fee: 1,400 plat or 2xSet 1 Boosters + 4xSet 2 Boosters + 200 plat (and various other combinations of packs you need to play + plat).

Prizes:
3 wins = 2xSet 1 Boosters, 4xSet 2 Boosters, 40,000 gold
2 wins = 1xSet 1 Boosters, 3xSet 2 Boosters, 24,000 gold
1 wins = 1xSet 1 Boosters, 1xSet 2 Boosters, 10,000 gold
0 wins = 0 packs, 10,000 gold

Format: Swiss

hex_colin
12-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Sealed Queue with Shattered Destiny

Entry fee: 1,400 plat or 2xSet 1 Boosters + 4xSet 2 Boosters + 200 plat (and various other combinations of packs you need to play + plat).

Prizes:
3 wins = 2xSet 1 Boosters, 4xSet 2 Boosters, 40,000 gold
2 wins = 1xSet 1 Boosters, 3xSet 2 Boosters, 24,000 gold
1 wins = 1xSet 1 Boosters, 1xSet 2 Boosters, 10,000 gold
0 wins = 0 packs, 10,000 gold

Format: Swiss

These prizes look like they might be wrong...

IndigoShade
12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
That wild AA is gorgeous. So excited to be getting a playset.

Personally I like the default Naiad more :o

L1ght
12-05-2014, 06:41 PM
"We’re also working on adding two more alternate art cards to round out the six total promised each year, and we’ll announce those sometime in the near future."

Whoooooo Collector Backers rejoice! Maybe my reading of this is off but it sounds like Collectors will be receiving all 6 of the AAs for 2014 year and start the Collector 6-Per-Year fresh in 2015? Also, are legendary cards still on the table for Collector AA versions?

Great to see the Shattered Destiny Collector AAs! I haven't had a chance to have a good look at the set yet - anyone care to comment / speculate on if these will be playable constructed cards? I like the art at any rate :)

Gwaer
12-05-2014, 06:42 PM
You have discerning tastes and a keen eye indigo shade, I agree with you. There is definitely more boob in the default art.

Voormas
12-05-2014, 06:42 PM
i'm lovin' it :p

Chark
12-05-2014, 06:45 PM
These prizes look like they might be wrong...

Had two other people in the office review this. I don't see anything wrong. 6-4-4-4-2-2-2-0 was the payout for set one. This mirrors that. The aggregate totals for set 1 and 2 prizes are in the same ratios as what we take in (16 set 1 and 32 set 2 as entry; 8 and 16 as prizes).

L1ght
12-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Had two other people in the office review this. I don't see anything wrong. 6-4-4-4-2-2-2-0 was the payout for set one. This mirrors that. The aggregate totals for set 1 and 2 prizes are in the same ratios as what we take in (16 set 1 and 32 set 2 as entry; 8 and 16 as prizes).

Its correct, exactly double Swiss draft, as there is double entry fee. Nothing to see here...

IndigoShade
12-05-2014, 06:50 PM
You have discerning tastes and a keen eye indigo shade, I agree with you. There is definitely more boob in the default art.

This I will not deny, but it isn't the *only* reason I like the default art more. I like the whole atmosphere the original art has going on.

hex_colin
12-05-2014, 06:50 PM

You're right. I didn't realize the best you could do in Sealed was win as many packs as you put in. Shows you how much attention I pay to prizes other than AA...

Carry on... ;)

Chark
12-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Also, are legendary cards still on the table for Collector AA versions?

We won't do legendary AAs for this KS reward for a while. Adding these quantities of a legendary AA would devalue the normal legendary too much.

Lawlschool
12-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Okay first off, love the Collector Tier AA's, kinda jelly i dont have them

For real, right? Might have to try to snag a few off the AH or something. AA's were such a brilliant idea.

TheMuffMuff
12-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I love you guys! great cards, great artworks and a great set in general.

I'm so excited for 2015 :-)

Glae
12-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Wow, the Naiad looks like another awesome Wild card for Set 2. Really hoping Wild midrange gets to be constructed playable. And that angel looks pretty potent to add to Infinite Fog lists, or paladin lists.

Very happy to see that Collector's will also be getting a second set of AAs for 2014.

Also: Chark, Whats your new avatar? Has that card been spoiled somewhere?

ossuary
12-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Whoooooo Collector Backers rejoice! Maybe my reading of this is off but it sounds like Collectors will be receiving all 6 of the AAs for 2014 year and start the Collector 6-Per-Year fresh in 2015? Also, are legendary cards still on the table for Collector AA versions?

Personally, I would expect to see this on the release calendar rather than the calendar year. Beta started at the end of April, so you'll most likely see the remaining to Collector tier AA cards before then, and repeat from there. Hopefully by this time next year, we'll be on a proper release cycle (instead of one set per 8 months), and the AA cards will be spread out more evenly between sets and time.

Not that any of it matters for me... still kicking myself that I couldn't afford to buy a better tier at the time. Stupid expensive broken car. :(

Fateanomaly
12-05-2014, 08:19 PM
The next 2 collector AA should be sapphire and colorless right?

Poetic
12-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Don't think they're doing it by shard, out of the 4 cards so far, 2 have been diamond. I personally hope we get a bad ass blood collector AA next.

L1ght
12-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Personally, I would expect to see this on the release calendar rather than the calendar year.

We have been asking for clarification on this for a while now... As I see it they could go a number of ways:

A) 2 per set, whenever the sets happen to land. Advantage: Easy and simple. Disadvantage: Some years will definitely result in less than 6 AA unique cards per year being given out.

B) 6 per year, from whatever sets are currently available. Advantage: "6 Exclusive AA Cards per Year for Life" Tick. Disadvantage: May not line up perfectly with set releases. Plus how to decide when the 12 month period / "Year" starts and ends." I.e. picking one of these dates below to start it off...

May 8th 2013 Kickstarter Starts
June 8th 2013 Kickstarter Ends
September 2013 Estimated Delivery
November 2013 Alpha Released
January 1st 2014 Calender Year
March 2014 First Collector Tier AA Drawn / Finalised
April 2014 Closed Beta Released & Kickstarter Tiers Redeemed
September 2014 First Collector Tier AA Card Revealed
October 2014 First Card Delivered

If it were up to me I would say Calender year, January to December is just the clearest moving forward and most in line with the perk as it was described in the Kickstarter. In a perfect world I'd like to see a rolling release of an AA card on the first day of every second month, for 6 per year! Would always give me something to be looking forward to :)

ossuary
12-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Yeah, there are some options. They may even do a "for now" thing and then, say, next year, switch something around to re-align it to the permanent go-forward method. Maybe this year they'll issue another Set 1 and Set 2 AA to get it up to the 6, then start fresh in April for the Fiscal Year or life-of-game-since-beta year, or even just start fresh in January and say "From now on, 6 every calendar year."

exit
12-05-2014, 11:38 PM
The Collector's AA's are so, so good, and both cards I'm eager to use. Love it.

Shinjica
12-06-2014, 02:11 AM
Zeedu is not strong as the other dragon right now

Roy_G
12-06-2014, 06:06 AM
We’re also working on adding two more alternate art cards to round out the six total promised each year, and we’ll announce those sometime in the near future.

How close is near future compared to soon?
It's great they are giving more collector AA for this year.

I like the normal art better for those cards,the AA guardian angel doesn't seem to be a highly competitive card.

fido_one
12-06-2014, 06:30 AM
How close is near future compared to soon?
It's great they are giving more collector AA for this year.

I like the normal art better for those cards,the AA guardian angel doesn't seem to be a highly competitive card.

I think it's really too early to tell; I obviously thought of sadistic castigator as the counter, but that card doesn't get play for a variety of reasons that won't necessarily be the same for Gaurdian Angel - on card advantage decks I think GA is a big contender - paired with pack of pain and you have a lot of painless draws.

Roy_G
12-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Didn't think about that option.I guess I was hoping for AA Zakiir or AA Tectonic Megahulk,all the collector AA are rare now,no legendary.

ossuary
12-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't count on seeing legendary AA from the collector tier any time soon, the devs have said they are going to mostly avoid that, as it would devalue the normal version.

MugenMusou
12-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Wow the collector art on this time look amazing. Can't wait to see what the other two for this year be.

Roy_G
12-06-2014, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't count on seeing legendary AA from the collector tier any time soon, the devs have said they are going to mostly avoid that, as it would devalue the normal version.

They did mention the collector cards would be AA versions of rares or legendary.I'm not sure there are enough collector cards arounds to devalue legendary cards.Didn't devalue living totem or master theorycrafter.AA Angel of dawn or VK will be awesome.

ossuary
12-06-2014, 12:40 PM
They did mention the collector cards would be AA versions of rares or legendary.I'm not sure there are enough collector cards arounds to devalue legendary cards.Didn't devalue living totem or master theorycrafter.AA Angel of dawn or VK will be awesome.

Chark specifically said in another thread within the last week that there would be no AA legendary collector tier cards for "a long time."

L1ght
12-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Chark specifically said in another thread within the last week that there would be no AA legendary collector tier cards for "a long time."

Nah, I recon we'll see one... "sometime in the near future."

It would just be too cool to not close off the inaugural Collector Tier AA year with something extra special!

fido_one
12-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Nah, I recon we'll see one... "sometime in the near future."

It would just be too cool to not close off the inaugural Collector Tier AA year with something extra special!

I think right now 2k+ rares with the current amount of active PvP players the economy can handle it. 2k+ legendaries, probably not so much - it would affect the economy in some way. When the player base gets super big and the collectors are a fraction of a percentage of the total amount of active players? Yeah, let's get some legendary collector AAs in here...

L1ght
12-06-2014, 03:23 PM
You assume everyone who gets them will sell them. I don't have the stats (Maybe DataDragon will share...) but I would guess less than 1/4 of the Collector AA cards have actually changed hands. Therefore the impact on the economy may be as little as a few hundred. Not to mention Set 1, with the massive number of KS packs, would likely be the best time in the foreseeable future to have a Legendary card as it would be drop in the ocean of an 8 month long + artificially boosted card base. If they are going to wait they will be waiting until set 10+ for a bigger population, which I don't think is fair.

Besides, if you say Rares & Legendaries, I would think that would mean at least 1 legend among the 6 per year.

Gwaer
12-06-2014, 03:39 PM
It's cool with no legendaries year one IMO, they're right, eventually the population will be able to support it, but until then we can just stick to getting rares, rares are cool, too.

Voormas
12-06-2014, 05:04 PM
There are some pretty dope rares from Set 1 I would still like to see in AA (c'mon Gorefeast!) so as someone who receives collector tier AA I am fine either way :)

L1ght
12-06-2014, 06:53 PM
It's cool with no legendaries year one IMO, they're right, eventually the population will be able to support it, but until then we can just stick to getting rares, rares are cool, too.

Some rares are definitely cool. Some are much less so...

Would be nice to get some more insight into how they pick which cards get AA. Sure seems like a lot more is going into the decision process then finding cool art that suits artist's styles.

Wonder if Collectors can choose one by vote/poll at some point?

IndigoShade
12-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Some rares are definitely cool. Some are much less so...

Would be nice to get some more insight into how they pick which cards get AA. Sure seems like a lot more is going into the decision process then finding cool art that suits artist's styles.

Wonder if Collectors can choose one by vote/poll at some point?

A couple of guys from Cryptozoic spoke on this in another thread the last time collector's AA's were revealed:

One of the things we like to shoot for with alternate art is the chance to pair our artists with an image that will really speak to their personal style. For example we might have an artist who we realize paints zombies like a boss so we will try to give that person a chance to paint a zombie card. We can tell the same story but with a different flare. This is important so that players at a glance will still be able to identify the card but it strikes you as a premium collector’s item. We also consider how much a card will see play so naturally you’ll find alternate art being created for cards of all different rarities, of course collectors tier backers won’t see commons or uncommons as their reward; I’m speaking in generalities. Taking all these factors into consideration creates a broader landscape of alternate art than can be more widely appreciated in game. I hope this gives you some additional insight into how the team on Hex makes these choices.

There are many factors that go into choosing all our alternate art cards, including Collector's Tier cards, and Ty did a great job of outlining most of them. How much a card will see play is one of the many factors he outlined.

As this thread shows, players as individuals will voice their priorities, desires for an individual card. What's important to one player may not be of low priority to another, so individual players will have a variety of reactions to individual cards. It's subjective. Even the definitions of "playability" are going to be very different across players who prioritize that, and that definition is also very fluid from week-to-week and month-to-month as new cards are introduced, what the most popular strategy is at any given time, etc...

The Collector's Tier rewards go on forever, so there will be years upon years of these rewards given out-- in pairs no less because we wanted to make players happy with the double-up stretch reward. Overall, players will find some cards more desirable than others and that's going to happen when serving the needs of nearly two thousand HEX fans who receive these rewards. We hope that all can have a greater appreciation for those who may disagree with a single assessment of a card, and we hope that you all find cards as we move from set to set that give you that elated feeling when we hit that perfect note. And if a particular card doesn't speak to you, part of being "a collector" is trading and obtaining other cards that you want. You'll always be able to find a player who wants your card and in turn, get something else that you're chasing while hopefully also making more friends within the community.

So yeah, not everyone will be thrilled with every & every selection; I get that. I don't expect them to be handing out super awesome AA's of all the most coveted cards available each and every time. I can hope they chose cards that are viable in competitive decks and that the AA versions are cooler than the regular ones all I want, but not everyone has the same idea of what they want out of these.

Gwaer
12-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I definitely think a new standard should be added to the collector AA's. Which is that if there are boobs in the base art there should be more boobs in the collectors art. But that's just me.

the_artic_one
12-07-2014, 12:40 AM
You assume everyone who gets them will sell them. I don't have the stats (Maybe DataDragon will share...) but I would guess less than 1/4 of the Collector AA cards have actually changed hands. Therefore the impact on the economy may be as little as a few hundred. Not to mention Set 1, with the massive number of KS packs, would likely be the best time in the foreseeable future to have a Legendary card as it would be drop in the ocean of an 8 month long + artificially boosted card base. If they are going to wait they will be waiting until set 10+ for a bigger population, which I don't think is fair.

Besides, if you say Rares & Legendaries, I would think that would mean at least 1 legend among the 6 per year.

Even if they don't sell them that's a lot of people who will no longer want the regular version which still affects the value.

x78089
12-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Even if they don't sell them that's a lot of people who will no longer want the regular version which still affects the value.

I think you are underestimating the collectors desire to complete everything. I am a hardcore completion and 4 of each is essential. :)

malloc31
12-07-2014, 04:24 PM
It seems the trend with the collectors AAs is one constructed staple and one borderline playable rare each set. (the angel is decent but compared to the dragons being released it will not make it in most decks.) I'd really like to see that change to two constructed staples per set.

I really like the art on the angel AA though; I like how the angel shown is not the exact same angel as on the normal version. While the art on the Naiad doesn't impress me at all, the normal version seems more interesting with more of her tail showing, and the butterfly on her hand. The AA Naiad is just boring.

Glae
12-07-2014, 05:20 PM
I think the AA Naiad is rendered much better. I'm not a fan of the art style used for the normal one. Also, still confused why everyone is criticizing the lack of breasts. You know there is a way to get pictures of boobs on the internet, right?

Though I still think its sort of a cop out that the AAs are being chosen basically at random for art purposes. The Living Totem convinced me that the Master Theorycrafter was a misstep, so I'm hoping the other two Set 2 cards will be a bit more usable. Naiad and Angel might go into TuPact and Infinite Fog decks, but they're not exactly staples or chase rares.

malloc31
12-07-2014, 05:49 PM
I think the AA Naiad is rendered much better. I'm not a fan of the art style used for the normal one. Also, still confused why everyone is criticizing the lack of breasts. You know there is a way to get pictures of boobs on the internet, right?

Though I still think its sort of a cop out that the AAs are being chosen basically at random for art purposes. The Living Totem convinced me that the Master Theorycrafter was a misstep, so I'm hoping the other two Set 2 cards will be a bit more usable. Naiad and Angel might go into TuPact and Infinite Fog decks, but they're not exactly staples or chase rares.

I agree, and hope people are joking about the boob stuff.

I would also say the normal Naiad isn't perfect either, it looks a bit too much like something from Disney, but at least its a bit different, and doesnt just look like a girl getting out of a shower. Some of my favorite cards show scenes not just closeups, I hope we get some of them.

But I think the Naiad will definitely find its ways into lots of decks, 2 resources a turn is just too powerful, almost any midrange deck can use that.

Glae
12-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Well, its not really 2 resources a turn. It's two resources a turn, from turn 2, assuming you have 3 or more resources in your opening hand + first turn draw, or have massive card draw.

So, its a more restrictive Chlorophyllia for midrange on early turns, or a 1/1 for 2 late game. Unless you're playing a wild deck with massive card draw. Like Tu Pact. Or i guess if you're splashing into wild for some ramp in a sapphire deck.