PDA

View Full Version : To everyone who fought, and struggled....

Zomnivore
12-07-2014, 05:35 PM
The dream.

Fish Hands.

Fish Hands is a dream no longer!

Its not about fish, its not about hands, its about fish hands, and a story, and the community being gripped with the passion of that story, and obviously the charisma of the wonderful people telling it.

Fish Hands represents an active dialogue between developer and community and is obviously one of the best uses of our ability to communicate.

Truly Fish Hands is a reality.

Thank you all!

Voormas
12-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Booo! new fish hands is bad! #notmyfishhands

Vorpal
12-07-2014, 05:59 PM
New fish hands is not as powerful, but way more thematic. Didn't the old fish hands work on anything that WASN'T a troop? That's backwards :D

Malakili
12-07-2014, 06:01 PM
If we are really talking about theme, I always just assumed fish hands made the caster flub the somatic part of the spell.

RCDv57
12-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I liked it better when it was an interrupt.
It's weird that it gives creature more toughness.
This is all purely thematic's thou, its a pretty solid common combat trick.

Axle
12-07-2014, 06:18 PM
As a counter it would be so amazing as something in our day to day card vocabulary. I'm so mad they made it so much weaker.

"Loses to Fish Hands" can no longer be a popular thing!

And @ thematics of the card:
Same as Malakili, to me Fish Hands working only on non-troops made sense because if for example the knight in the picture is the conjurer of the spell, without his hands he is unable to perform it and it fizzles out.

Vorpal
12-07-2014, 06:24 PM
The guy in the picture is a soldier, not a caster.

Axle
12-07-2014, 06:26 PM
A soldier also can't be a caster? That's just rude. Palamedes, The Righteous?

I kid. They probably had a similar thing in mind when they first created the card but decided this one makes more sense.

Voormas
12-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Boo to making sense! Whoever made this change really Fish-Hands'd it!

fabriazp
12-07-2014, 06:40 PM
we still gonna get our "negate", but with a different name.

poizonous
12-07-2014, 06:43 PM
this card just makes me wonder how the set 1 card -1/+1 even got printed. same cost, reverts and one more toughness. talk about out classing

hex_colin
12-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I'll always remember its original form - I sideboarded in 2 copies of it for the 2nd and 3rd games of my final draft match at GenCon. I own my AA GenCon Poster & Sleeves to The Card Formerly Known as Fish Hands. :)

Audens
12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Mutate also lets you draw a card though. And the extra toughness is a double-edged sword, since sometimes you'll want to use it on an opponent's troop.

Gregzilla
12-07-2014, 07:01 PM
You could ALSO use this to revert your OWN troop to make it tougher to kill. Like, say, something you won't be wanting to attack with. Like, oh, Izydor.

funktion
12-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Breaking my heart

N3rd4Christ
12-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I hope they save the art. Not very fish hands like. Maybe make it a reprint counter magic later

Vorpal
12-07-2014, 07:29 PM
this card just makes me wonder how the set 1 card -1/+1 even got printed. same cost, reverts and one more toughness. talk about out classing

Mutate cycles, which is huge (at least in limited)

Vorpal
12-07-2014, 07:30 PM
A soldier also can't be a caster? That's just rude. Palamedes, The Righteous?

Palamedes isn't casting magic, he is inspiring his troops with the power of his long, flowing locks.

Erukk
12-07-2014, 07:59 PM

I've actually won two or three draft matches with Mutate. It can swing a key battle phase in your favor, and it fun to use them to wreck a burn combo against one of your heavy hitters. Plus, it's a cantrip. Which is always a plus.

I'm not sure if I'll be using the new Fish Hands though. If it was a -1/-0 with revert, or even the -1/+1 like Mutate, I'd maybe think about it, but that +2 to def would probably only get in your way and become annoying after awhile.

RCDv57
12-07-2014, 08:04 PM
If it gonna change again before release please consider making it an interrupt card, with a cantrip for your opponent. That could be fun.

theghost32
12-07-2014, 11:02 PM
i liked the old fish hands way better this wont be played alot

Gwaer
12-07-2014, 11:32 PM
old fish hands isn't gone, it just got a new name, and fish hands was stuck on a card that made more sense for the name.

Voormas
12-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Sense making is over-rated, this could have been the card that people point to when asked "Why should I play this game" now it's just "heh that's some funny artwork"

Booo!

Gwaer
12-08-2014, 01:40 AM
If you want to be upset about something be upset they didn't change the name of rotting buffalo when they were adding new card names. Or make it should threshold. =(

Pezzle
12-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I am not sure how this card represents a dialogue between community and devs?

Old fish hands was best fish hands. New fish hands is just meh, ok.

3HoursDungeon
12-08-2014, 08:11 AM
It's weird that it gives creature more toughness.

Would you want to touch someone with fish heads for hands?

Erukk
12-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Would you want to touch someone with fish heads for hands?

That would imply the fish handed creature giving a -x attack to the blocked creature. So, unless those fish heads are hard as rocks, they aren't stopping a swipe of a sword, jab of a spear, or a fireball to the face anytime soon.

negativeZer0
12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Fish Hands represents an active dialogue between developer and community and is obviously one of the best uses of our ability to communicate.

Its not about fish, its not about hands, its about fish hands, and a story, and the community being gripped with the passion of that story, and obviously the charisma of the wonderful people telling it.

I would say the exact opposite.
This represents one of the few times they did not listen to the community at all. They completely missed what it is everyone liked about the old card.

This new version is just boring uninspired drivel that will wind up in the completely useless never used pile of commons that of this were a physical game would be shoved in a shoe box in the back of your closet never to be seen again. It's not even good enough for limited play.

New fish hand completely invalidates the spirit of the old card that made it so funny and iconic. A complete and utter miss on Hex's part in regards to why the community wanted this card back.

Gwaer
12-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I think the dialogue he was referring took is That we got a card names fish hands at all. That was just a development placeholder name that the community loved. So they released a card with the placeholder name and artwork based on it. Which is cool. Wether the card is playable is a bit irrelevant.

Lawlschool
12-08-2014, 11:40 AM
What's the origin of Fish Hands? I feel like I missed that day on the forums...

nicosharp
12-08-2014, 11:42 AM
It used to be "Negate" - Interrupt target Action (same cost, same art)

I've seen impressive use for main-decking Mutate, so I wouldn't count out this card yet. Although, it would be nice if it also drew a card.

RCDv57
12-08-2014, 11:44 AM
I thought that one of the card designers had a bit of a silly DnD story that involved fish hands and he was campaigning to get the card into the game. It originated during the kickstarter.

Saeijou
12-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Booo! new fish hands is bad! #notmyfishhands

lol!

i support that... petition for reverting the fishhand before it is to late!!! ;)

Gwaer
12-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I'll look up the actual thread egged I'm not I'll my phone.

the_artic_one
12-08-2014, 12:29 PM
People are looking at this card wrong, the point isn't the stat manipulation, this is giving sapphire access to conditional troop reversion.

Gwaer
12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
http://hextcg.com/rd-progress-and-insight/

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26583

I think there may have been one more thread, but that's what I found in a reasonable amount of time. Wall of bears was still my favorite one.

Just popping in to say that Wall of Bears was my idea and if it doesn't make it into Set 2 intact, I am going to steal Ben's woolen bear hat and hide it where he'll never find it.

thegreybetween
12-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Wall of Bears = Must Have.

wolzarg
12-08-2014, 02:32 PM
I came into this thread with joy and now I'm sad again.. i don't want negate!

Lawlschool
12-08-2014, 04:14 PM
http://hextcg.com/rd-progress-and-insight/

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26583

I think there may have been one more thread, but that's what I found in a reasonable amount of time. Wall of bears was still my favorite one.

Thanks man! Found the origins:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26583&page=5&p=278856&viewfull=1#post278856

Mejis
12-08-2014, 06:32 PM
The flavour text on Fish Hands has to be my favourite now.

"Oh carp".

Zomnivore
12-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I don't mind if they changed it...these cards have to be balanced an iterative process happens and things change.

I'm just sorry that it you guys are upset, about that.

I'm just plain old enthusiastic that it exists at all, and that the art is god tier.

Alequel
12-09-2014, 01:00 AM
I do not understand what the fuzz is about tbh. This card is playable, especially in limited and will probably be in every blue decks sideboard as well. Dont underestimate reverting a lot of cards in HEX permanently changes cards and to be able to survive after a huge buff or to be able to still hit your opponent hard after a debuff is very relevant.

Warrender
12-09-2014, 05:16 AM
The point of Fish Hands is to gaze thoughtfully at the card art and wonder what the heck is going on. In that regard, the point still stands.

hex_colin
12-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Verdict of the Ancient Kings (The Card Formerly Known as Fish Hands)

https://hextcg.com/set-2-card-list/

Xenavire
12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Verdict of the Ancient Kings (The Card Formerly Known as Fish Hands)

https://hextcg.com/set-2-card-list/

What was that comment about fish and kings again? :p

Erukk
12-09-2014, 06:50 AM
One of those Ancient Kings should have fish hands....just because.

Qiro
12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm oddly disturbed...
And i remembered HIS SOULMATE!
Anybody know this artist?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/a-life-size-queen-crab-is-even-more-disturbing/

(scroll down) - kind of NSFW - but the harmless way.