PDA

View Full Version : Shattered Destiny - Champions

Shaqattaq
12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Today, we’re wrapping up Shattered Destiny previews with the five champions you’ll see in the new set. There are two Humans, two Shin’hare, and one Coyotle.

http://www.hextcg.com/shattered-destiny-champions/

Barkam
12-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Rutherford is going to be fun. :)

Khendral
12-08-2014, 11:13 AM
Sir Giles Rowan seems very powerful in any kind of tribal deck...love it.

nicosharp
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
They all look great. I definitely want to see how they play with the new set. The Sapphire charge, while expensive will be impressive in limited.

BossHoss
12-08-2014, 11:19 AM
It is quite easy to charge up this set two/too ;p

WolfCrypt
12-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Bunoshi is awesome he might help me with my breed and sacrifice deck if I can work out a build...

Axle
12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Aww I liked the old champions better. Especially Daughter of Stars. I guess that would be entirely my fault for preparing my decks around game files. I could see how some of them would be too strong.

Rutherford is better overall. Troop revival at 7 charges seems fairly cheap.

RCDv57
12-08-2014, 11:41 AM
ROOOWAAAAAN!!!
I'm gonna mess him up!

Edswor
12-08-2014, 11:46 AM
I like the new heroes, and also the new border of the card.

Vorsa
12-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Sir Giles Rowan
Quite the pin-up! :cool:
But that "all zones" clause is great too, and cries out to be used on "Human" - Royal Falconer, Alwyn, Sword Trainer...

Bunoshi the Ruthless
So Kishimoto minus 1 charge plus 1 sacrifice... I do not see this catching on.
I don't really see the plus side for the sacrifice here, but surely there must be one otherwise this seems a straight-up dud.

Ruthorford Banks
Very nifty; I tend to veer towards the cautiously cheaper powers, but compared to the cost of putting a randomized elemental into play or a 3/3 troop into your hand, 7 charges to put any troop from your graveyard on to the field is awesome.

Daughter of Stars
Extremely niche since you have to build a whole deck for it, but pretty special when/if it happens - not sure it's worth the burden of bonus charge cards compared to Gralk or Stormcall, which would be the big question while set 1 is available.
Although; could be a win condition for dwarf/robot decks... :confused:

Warmaster Fuzzuko
Quite a kick in the shorts to Palamedes, who was already mired in mediocrity - but let's all get on board the Warmaster Fuzzuko train anyway! :)
It will be so nice to have a better default wild champion than Running Deer, particularly in drafts where removal is scarcer and wild troops run free.

Baker
12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Rutherford Banks... Someone on the team a big Genesis fan?

Axle
12-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Bunoshi the Ruthless
I don't really see the plus side for the sacrifice here, but surely there must be one otherwise this seems a straight-up dud.

Kishimoto isn't permanent and Bunoshi is.

Vorsa
12-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Kishimoto isn't permanent and Bunoshi is.

D'oh! Must get used to new text conventions. :o
That is quite pleasant then. :)

vickrpg
12-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Are these all added in on top of the ones we have or will we be saying goodbye to some champions too?

ossuary
12-08-2014, 12:41 PM
They are not cycling out any champs yet. They probably will at some point (they are not 100% determined on when / if this will happen yet).

RCDv57
12-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I hope we don't have to say goodbye to anyone yet.

Mejis
12-08-2014, 01:26 PM
RE: Sir Giles Rowan, from the example given in the article, is e.g. another Zoltan in your deck treated as an Orc AND Ranger AND Orc+Ranger? Or just an Orc AND Ranger?
I got a little confused there.
I assumed another copy of Zoltan would get +2 ATK, but it reads like it would get +3 ATK?

Sorry if I'm being really slow here.

Axle
12-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Actually I think another would just get +1 ATK from the way they worded it. Otherwise they would finish with something like "And if it was an Orc Ranger, it would get +2" instead of specifically stating Orc Ranger gets +1. Since you're right that +3 attack makes no sense.

As in when all things are done
If only sharing Orc it gets +1
If only sharing Ranger gets +1
If both Orc and Ranger, it only gets +1

So it seems the ability doesn't stack at all with the more than one type troops.

mttgamer
12-08-2014, 01:40 PM
D'oh! Must get used to new text conventions. :o
That is quite pleasant then. :)

Wait so Kishimoto says "target troop you control gets +2/+2 this turn"; Bunoshi says "sacrifice a troop -> another target troop gets +2/+2". Why is there an omission of "permanently"? Is that just how "hex text conventions" are? Are players of hex to ASSUME that if it doesn't specify "this turn" then the effect is permanent?

I'm trying to find a contradiction to this, but it seems that is the case.

ossuary
12-08-2014, 01:44 PM
"Permanent" is being removed from all language on the cards going forward (and all the Set 1 cards will be retroactively modified to fit the new templating).

From now on, if a card has a specific duration listed (i.e. until end of turn), that's how long it lasts, otherwise it is permanent.

katkillad
12-08-2014, 01:46 PM
So it seems the ability doesn't stack at all with the more than one type troops.

If that's true then it's confusing and doesn't really make sense to point out that another card with both will get +1...because obviously it will get +1 anyways if only meets one of the requirements.

Edswor
12-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Regarding Sir Giles Rowan I suppose it give +1 to, in the example, troops that have the trait of Orc or Ranger or Orc Ranger.

TheMuffMuff
12-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Wait, Palamedes provides 1 x +1/+1 for 4 charges and that Fuzzuko buffs all creatures with +1/+1 for 5 charges? :-/

mttgamer
12-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Wait, Palamedes provides 1 x +1/+1 for 4 charges and that Fuzzuko buffs all creatures with +1/+1 for 5 charges? :-/

Palamedes only requires 1 diamond threshold.
Fuzzuko requires 2 wild threshold.

More flexibility for a minor effect therefore 1 less charge. Less flexibility for a better effect therefore 1 more charge.

That's what I see at least.

Dorkelvania
12-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Bunoshi the Ruthless

Bunoshi doesn't say the buff is only for one turn, so I assume it's permanent. Kishimoto is only a one-turn buff.

Edit: Must hit "refresh" before replying next time.

funktion
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
I am normally not a person that cares all that much about art on cards etc... but time and time again you all manage to convert me. Really digging the new champs should be fun to see where they fit in with the new draft format. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Scammanator
12-08-2014, 02:23 PM
"Permanent" is being removed from all language on the cards going forward (and all the Set 1 cards will be retroactively modified to fit the new templating).

From now on, if a card has a specific duration listed (i.e. until end of turn), that's how long it lasts, otherwise it is permanent.

I assumed from the change that the word "Permanent" was being reserved for dungeons to describe effects that persist throughout the dungeon. Before the change it was really confusing.

TheMuffMuff
12-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Palamedes only requires 1 diamond threshold.
Fuzzuko requires 2 wild threshold.

More flexibility for a minor effect therefore 1 less charge. Less flexibility for a better effect therefore 1 more charge.

That's what I see at least.

mhm there should be enough threshold options now

Yea the hex artworks are stunning!

Shaqattaq
12-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Troops in zones will never get more than one +1 ATK modifier from a single Sir Giles charge power activation, no matter how many traits they have in common with the troop.

Voormas
12-08-2014, 03:02 PM
I like the new champions and I love that card-frame! "Soon" has become so soon I can almost taste it!

MugenMusou
12-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Are these buff permanent or just the turn?

Mejis
12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Troops in zones will never get more than one +1 ATK modifier from a single Sir Giles charge power activation, no matter how many traits they have in common with the troop.

Many thanks Shaq.

Mejis
12-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Are these buff permanent or just the turn?

Unless it states otherwise, I believe they are permanent. See further up the thread: the usage of the word "permanent" has been removed.

Svenn
12-08-2014, 04:04 PM
***SPOILERS from the Hex novel!***

If I'm not mistaken, Sir Giles Rowan is the same body as Gozzog (Giles died and became Gozzog in the novel). That means... if you play a Giles deck versus a Gozzog deck then he's playing himself in Human and Necrotic form?! o_O

Not that this needs to make sense in terms of TCG, but I just thought this was interesting. Also funny that we got the Necrotic form before the human form. ;)

Gwaer
12-08-2014, 04:50 PM
It's also possible a single necrotic can use various human hosts, if something happens to the one they're in. We just don't know enough about them to know for sure.

DanTheMeek
12-08-2014, 06:49 PM
I love the new champions but hate the new templated for permeant effects. Unless there's a nation wide shortage on "words" I'm not aware of, I think its always worth adding an extra word or two to a card to make it as clear as possible how an effect works. Even as veterans of Hex adjust and begin to associate a lack of time being given to mean permenant, this will always be a potential point of confusion for new players that a few extra words could clear up.

Same thing with effects that "set" you to certain stats, yet do NOT over write existing buffs or debuffs. That one even more so causes confusion since its about as counter intuitive as you can get. Its like they're treating buff/debuff effects like there's a token on the card thats giving it stat changes, while the "set" is changing the printed text, but there's no clear distinction I can see on the cards that would make me believe that if my formerally 1/1 bunny, now 2/2 do to a one time +1/+1 buff it got earlier in the game, is set to be 4/4, that it would actually become 5/5 instead.

But now I'm getting off topic, anyway, again, love the new champions, especially the shin'hare ones (gee I wonder why), but definitely not a fan of some of the effect description standards they seem to be putting in place.

sukebe
12-08-2014, 07:17 PM
I love the new champions but hate the new templated for permeant effects. Unless there's a nation wide shortage on "words" I'm not aware of, I think its always worth adding an extra word or two to a card to make it as clear as possible how an effect works. Even as veterans of Hex adjust and begin to associate a lack of time being given to mean permenant, this will always be a potential point of confusion for new players that a few extra words could clear up.

Same thing with effects that "set" you to certain stats, yet do NOT over write existing buffs or debuffs. That one even more so causes confusion since its about as counter intuitive as you can get. Its like they're treating buff/debuff effects like there's a token on the card thats giving it stat changes, while the "set" is changing the printed text, but there's no clear distinction I can see on the cards that would make me believe that if my formerally 1/1 bunny, now 2/2 do to a one time +1/+1 buff it got earlier in the game, is set to be 4/4, that it would actually become 5/5 instead.

But now I'm getting off topic, anyway, again, love the new champions, especially the shin'hare ones (gee I wonder why), but definitely not a fan of some of the effect description standards they seem to be putting in place.

It was mentioned above as well but it seems they are reserving the word "permanent" for use in pve dungeons that change or remove cards from your deck for the duration of the the dungeon. That is a much better use of permanent if you ask me :-)

I fail to see the problem with this change in any case. If there is a time limit, the card granting the bonus will tell you. If a time limit is not stated, then there is no time limit. simple enough if you ask me :-)

Axle
12-08-2014, 10:17 PM
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/TheTriumvirate.jpg
Dunno if this is a mistake in the tcgbrowser or not but if this is replacing the previous multi threshold borders(yellow) then that's awesome. I haven't actually put a Triumvirate on the board in forever though so it might have always been like this.

ossuary
12-09-2014, 05:18 AM
It was still gold as of yesterday in-client. No idea if it's changing or if it's just tcgbrowser displaying it funny, though. :)

Aradon
12-09-2014, 05:21 AM
I would say it looks like a (sweet) updated border, but I would expect they would have also updated the card text to use 'this' here at the same time. Maybe they're going for flavor, though :P

Also, patch note hype!
I wonder what 'Kismet's Reverie' does :D

ossuary
12-09-2014, 07:32 AM
I wonder what 'Kismet's Reverie' does :D

https://hextcg.com/set-2-card-list/

Aradon
12-09-2014, 10:17 PM
So the Triumverate border is actually only used on champions at the moment. Not sure why they got that border treatment, but it definitely looks cool.

And thanks for the link, Oss, but I still have no idea what it does :P

nickon
12-10-2014, 05:45 AM
RE: Sir Giles Rowan, from the example given in the article, is e.g. another Zoltan in your deck treated as an Orc AND Ranger AND Orc+Ranger?

Am I the only one who noticed this, or have you watched "Dude where's my car" waaaaaaaaaay to many times? ;)

Gwaer
12-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Wasn't zoltan the name of the machine that made Tom hanks an adult in the movie big.

ossuary
12-10-2014, 10:05 AM
That would be Zoltar. :)

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/cd/fb/cc/ripley-s-believe-it-or.jpg

nickon
12-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Spread the confusion ;)