PDA

View Full Version : DC Deck Building Game Competitive Play

MStreva89
12-09-2014, 08:41 AM
So I'm not sure if anyone else here on the forums plays competitively with friends or at tournaments, but at my local store it's very popular right now since everyone watches my friends and I do it, they all joined in and do it too.

Basically we allow all 38 over-sized DC Characters to be picked from and all 3 stand-alone copies of DC DBG, but players get to ban characters before picking. Cyborg Crisis is auto-banned (because he single-handedly wins games). Players take turn banning characters until both players have banned 3 each, then Player 1 picks a single character, Player 2 picks two characters, and then Player 1 picks one more character. The players use both characters, so it's all about synergy with the characters and the game version. We've found a lot of things to hold true in regards to meta-gaming with this style of play.

-Harley Quinn has insane synergy with Green Arrow and Batgirl, while being resistant to the powerful attack from Batman Crisis.

-Booster Gold and Swamp Thing perform extremely high in DC DBG Classic due to the extremely strong Defenses and Locations respectively.

-Shazam! and Constantine work amazing together by being able to buy the top card of the main deck, stack it to your deck, then destroy it with Constantine if it's not a powerful or sought after card (ex. Deadman after using his effect).

-Bizarro and Aquaman Crisis in Forever Evil can easily destroy dozens of cards, thus flooding them with Weaknesses via Bizarro gaining them and Aquaman Crisis placing them in the other player's discard pile.

-Bane with Wonder Woman Crisis can ramp up to the Nemesis card almost every turn while making the deck extremely thin for looping the Nemesis cards.

There are plenty more synergies out there that we use that need not be mentioned here (Batman + Nightwing, Wonder Woman + Black Canary, etc.).

I was wondering if anyone else has any good synergy ideas such as these that they would like to share.

marcnelsonjr
12-10-2014, 07:19 PM
all 3 stand-alone copies of DC DBG

Do you mix all the decks together, or pick one to use each game?

MStreva89
12-11-2014, 07:20 AM
We pick one each game.

kmonarq7
12-11-2014, 08:54 PM
MStreva:

Where do you live? I have been looking for an active group to play in, but havent found one yet at any of the stores I visit.

Thanks,

KMQ (Chicago)

MStreva89
12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Miami, FL

Vaughnilla619
01-05-2015, 03:43 PM
I play with my girlfriend and brother most of the time and we usually use 2 or even sometimes 3 supers. Weve come up with plenty of good combos but ill share with you a few of our 2 and 3 card favs.

Batman / Nightwing
Flash / Batgirl
Superman / Cyborg

Batman / Nightwing / Cyborg (imo the best)
Sinestro / Black Canary / Wonder Woman
Hawkman / Lex Luther / Flash (if you dont trigger Flash's draw an extra card during your turn and you buy a hero, then you get to draw an extra card on top of how many Lex gives you as his card states at the end of YOUR turn.)

LexLuthorJr
01-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Weve come up with plenty of good combos...
Flash / Batgirl
Hawkman / Lex Luther / Flash (if you dont trigger Flash's draw an extra card during your turn and you buy a hero, then you get to draw an extra card on top of how many Lex gives you as his card states at the end of YOUR turn.)

I hate to break it to you, but The Flash doesn't work that way. His text says "The first time a card tells you to draw one or more cards during each of your turns, draw an additional card." The text of the over-sized Super Heroes are not cards and won't trigger The Flash's ability.

Vaughnilla619
01-07-2015, 08:07 AM
I thought thats how it was originally when i saw it but then i could have swore i read it in the rules or got it from here that it was right.

So the flash doesnt benefit from batgirl, harley quinn, bazarro, nightwing ect. ect.?

MStreva89
01-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Correct, The Flash does not benefit from any Character card that draws. Otherwise, he would be absolutely broken with any Character that did draw.

There are a lot of great combos and synergies already, like you stated the obvious of Superman/Cyborg and Nightwing/Batman. I think one of my recent favorites is Black Adam/Sinestro, so whenever you use Black Adam to destroy a Super Power, you will draw 2 cards. Makes it less dependent on Attacks for Sinestro, while still giving you the early game boost and draw power.

Vaughnilla619
01-07-2015, 10:56 AM
It wouldnt be broken. Its the same as if you were to run him and batgirl as if you were running harley quinn and batgirl. He just seems overly useless now.

Vaughnilla619
01-07-2015, 02:05 PM
While we are on the subject of character combos, i have 2 more questions now.

If you were to use bane and black adam, could you use both to destroy the same 1st card to gain both of their character abilities?

And if you used batgirl and green arrow, would you only need to discard 1 punch to benefit from both cards or do you need to discard a punch for both?

Thanks

Matt_Hyra
01-07-2015, 05:58 PM
While we are on the subject of character combos, i have 2 more questions now.

If you were to use bane and black adam, could you use both to destroy the same 1st card to gain both of their character abilities?

And if you used batgirl and green arrow, would you only need to discard 1 punch to benefit from both cards or do you need to discard a punch for both?

Thanks

You would need to destroy two cards.
You would need to discard two Punches.

EarthBowser
01-09-2015, 01:01 AM
It's cool to see that other groups play with two characters per person. We have a lot of different ways to pick characters. Sometimes we draft them, sometimes we give every player a ban first, sometimes we set one face up with two random face down characters, pick a set and choose two characters out of them. We only use the thirty non Crisis characters. There are quite a few good combinations that we've found.

As you said, Harley Quinn is great with Batgirl or Green Arrow, but her teamed up with Booster Gold is also great. Get all the defenses you can, and discard them to players' attacks to draw two cards seems good.

Lex Luthor/Hawkman and Wonder Woman/Green Arrow/Black Canary seem like obviously good combos. Martian Manhunter goes well with any of them as well, although he does well no matter what other character you get. And speaking of Lex Luthor/Wonder Woman, they tend to do well together as you'll be drawing extra cards for a majority of the cards you'll be buying.

Starfire and Superman are great together. Starfire encourages you to buy up the super powers for extra draw power, and Super Man uses them quite nicely.

Sinestro tends to go well with Black Canary and Wonder Woman as a lot of the attacks are tacked onto villains.

Then there are characters who tend to be strong no matter who they are paired with - Shazam, Bizarro, Aquaman, Sinestro, etc.

N-Finite
01-09-2015, 07:27 AM
MStreva89 what shop do you guys go to play?

xfactor190
01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
My friends and I also play with the batman vs joker expansion. I have found that shazam and the 2nd version of joker play extremely well together. Basically you play for super powers and villains to trigger the jokers ability. for those who are unfamiliar with the joker ability i am referring to it is this: "once during each of your turns, if you play a villain and a super power, reveal the top card of the main deck. Play it and then return it." This joker gives you the ability to know if you want to grab the main deck card or not.

MStreva89
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
I play at Avalon Game Shop.