PDA

View Full Version : Drafting For Event Only

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Okay I'm here for PVE so PVP I can care less about but I have really no gold or any card worth a darn so I wanna draft tomorrow for the event to hopefully get some epic cards I know that getting the super sexy Shogun of Windia'ja is really overhopeful but I hope to get him eventually cuz he's so sexy. Anyway due to PVE not being out I not really... practiced the game so I was wondering if someone could tell me what Draft I can do during event to get the most out of my purple draft ticket. I was told I don't need boosters but I hope drafting during event only gives Set 2 Boosters. I heard there was a draft format that gave you rewards even for losing instantly(I certainly won't just quit I'll try my best however bad that will be) But I forget which format it was...

MatWith1T
12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
If you do constructed tournaments, you get a pack even if you lose instantly - put your purple draft ticket won't work for constructed.
For Draft, you need to win at least 1 in either format. I would suggest Swiss/normal because you have 3 chances to win one pack each time. If you lose Round 1 in Competitive, you get nada

Rendakor
12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
You'll want to swiss draft, which is just called Draft in-game. You'll get to play 3 rounds win or lose, and if you do it during the event you'll get the AA Darkspire Punisher just for playing.

Punk
12-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Play Competitive for value.
Play Swiss for insurance.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Well I can't care less about Orcs so the Darkspire AA I have no desire for I only hope to get Wild/Blood cards to use with the new Shin'Hare Warlock.

EntropyBall
12-11-2014, 12:31 PM

There is no "value" in competitive queues for someone who expects to lose most of their games. OP should definitely play Swiss.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Well I only have a purple draft ticket that Colin gave me in October when I first joined and I never used it cuz I was never good at PVP in any game(I did become Godlike once as Annie but they were morons even for my inexperience) So I tend to avoid it like the plague but I joined this game due to the creative PVE part.

TheSwallowsNest
12-11-2014, 12:44 PM

Swiss awards the same prize amount as comp, its just distributed differently.

Unless you consistently come in 1st place, swiss is better.

Svenn
12-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Swiss awards the same prize amount as comp, its just distributed differently.

Unless you consistently come in 1st place, swiss is better.
Yes, the total number of packs given out are the same. However, one win in competitive is 2 packs. That's enough to go infinite if you get a decent rare or two to sell. Also, competitive draft is faster (both if you win and if you lose).

If you can consistently win the first round of competitive, it's better. It's the same as consistently winning 2 rounds of swiss, and since it's quicker it's more earnings for the time investment.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
To be honest the only thing I want out of drafting is cards so um.. With a Purple Drafting Ticket I can do um.. Swiss?

Svenn
12-11-2014, 01:17 PM
To be honest the only thing I want out of drafting is cards so um.. With a Purple Drafting Ticket I can do um.. Swiss?

Swiss would be recommended. The draft/opening boosters part is the same in either one. With Swiss you'll be guaranteed more play time out of it and have more chances to win extra boosters.

pjvedder
12-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Well I can't care less about Orcs so the Darkspire AA I have no desire for I only hope to get Wild/Blood cards to use with the new Shin'Hare Warlock.

Even if you don't want the AA card, after this weekend, no one will be able to get it again. Therefore, if you hold onto it for a little while, you should be able to sell it for some platinum (or gold) on the auction house.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks now all I gotta do is wait I don't care about AA but I might sell the stupid Orcs for lots of money. And I'm also unsure if Drafting now would get me Set 2 Boosters.

pjvedder
12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks now all I gotta do is wait I don't care about AA but I might sell the stupid Orcs for lots of money. And I'm also unsure if Drafting now would get me Set 2 Boosters.

if you draft right now, the packs used in draft at 2-2-1, and the winnings will be a mix of set 2 and 1 as well. This weekend, however, will be just set 2 packs used and won.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Oh well it'll be my first and only draft so I'll join the 8 player tourney(try to) I should log in early and hope to catch it..

Punk
12-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes, the total number of packs given out are the same. However, one win in competitive is 2 packs. That's enough to go infinite if you get a decent rare or two to sell. Also, competitive draft is faster (both if you win and if you lose).

If you can consistently win the first round of competitive, it's better. It's the same as consistently winning 2 rounds of swiss, and since it's quicker it's more earnings for the time investment.

Well said Svenn.

There is no "value" in competitive queues for someone who expects to lose most of their games. OP should definitely play Swiss.

Not going to go through all the motions with you, but even opening packs is value. Go research Expected Value and you can reach out to me via PM if you want to further discuss it.

WolfCrypt - To answer your question, you will get the most out of your "purple ticket" by winning a competitive draft. If you don't expect to win many games, or if you plan on making multiple card choices not related to the strategy of your deck (just to have the cards), then you will probably see more of a return in swiss.

Svenn
12-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh well it'll be my first and only draft so I'll join the 8 player tourney(try to) I should log in early and hope to catch it..
This weekend's release stuff is not just one 8 man tournament, it's a queue that you can join at any time just like the current draft queues. It'll be running all weekend for people to hop in any time. :)

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Well said Svenn.

WolfCrypt - To answer your question, you will get the most out of your "purple ticket" by winning a competitive draft. If you don't expect to win many games, or if you plan on making multiple card choices not related to the strategy of your deck (just to have the cards), then you will probably see more of a return in swiss.

Wait if I don't have a booster pack but a ticket I can do that?

Punk
12-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Yep!

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Sweet I hope to run into Shogun if that's the sorta thing I can do. I'll certainly zero in on cards I want if I see them but will try to focus on Shin'Hare stratagies.

Svenn
12-11-2014, 01:40 PM

A ticket is full entry into competitive or swiss draft (it replaces the 100p plus 3 boosters cost). In all formats, you start out by picking your cards one at a time (open a pack, pick one and pass it, then pick one from that pack and so on until the pack is gone, 3 times). In competitive it is single elimination, so the first time you lose you are out of the tournament, but you win more packs if you win. In Swiss you ALWAYS play 3 rounds against different players and for every round you win you get 1 booster pack as a reward.

You can do either competitive or swiss. As a newer player that does not have the competitive experience it is recommended to do swiss because you have more chances to win extra packs.

WolfCrypt
12-11-2014, 01:42 PM
I'll do swiss as I have no competitive exp cuz I avoid having it.