PDA

View Full Version : New RPS article

Mejis
12-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Link:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/11/hex-shattered-destiny-ccg-expansion/

Saddens me to see a very out of date screenshot, along with the majority of the comments being so uninformed. Would have been nice if the article was a little bit more knowledgeable too and didn't put so much emphasis on a certain something, but oh well.

saffamike
12-12-2014, 12:30 AM
Is that what passes for online journalism these days? Massively uninformed opinion piece.

AstaSyneri
12-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Sent Alice an e-mail telling her that (in nice words). There is always a next article.

Hers really came across as from a Magic fangirl that is ordered to look at Hex by her editor boss.

Osthall
12-12-2014, 02:09 AM
I don't see the problem - its good publicity and she said it was similar to Magic in a good way. If you actually have a problem with Hex being so closely compared with it you need to get your head checked.

Spiredore
12-12-2014, 03:37 AM
If you actually have a problem with Hex being so closely compared with it you need to get your head checked.

I don't think there's a problem with comparistons to Magic, obviously HEX has a lot of similarities to it, but I would have found it nice if the article could have talked about HEX on it's own terms for more than two sentences. I mean the article's structure goes:

'HEX is releasing an expansion, just like Hearthstone and Shards.

It's adding abilities such as X (just like Magic), Y (just like Magic) and Z (just like Magic, I think).

HEX is holding a launch event and has published a card list.

Gee I miss Magic.'

For a HEX article it spends a hell of a lot of time talking about games that aren't HEX.

Stirred.Leaf
12-12-2014, 04:14 AM
It's not so much an article as just a blurb. The author hasn't played Hex from what I can tell, and she chose to write something small about the new update anyway. Any publicity is better than no publicity. :)

Selanius
12-12-2014, 04:54 AM
If you don't have something informed to say, its best to say nothing at all.

Mejis
12-12-2014, 05:15 AM
I don't see the problem - its good publicity and she said it was similar to Magic in a good way. If you actually have a problem with Hex being so closely compared with it you need to get your head checked.

I don't have any such issue, I just wanted to point out that it was a shame the article wasn't so well informed and that the comments were unfortunately a little on the "Wtf I have to pay money??" side, again stemming from a lack of being informed, and that's a shame for rps.

Osthall
12-12-2014, 05:43 AM
True, but if I we're named Cory Jones, I'd be happy to see such a feature on RPS all the same - even if a bit vague :)

ziggarius
12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
True, but if I we're named Cory Jones, I'd be happy to see such a feature on RPS all the same - even if a bit vague :)

Even with what looks like an alpha screen shot? That gui is crazy old...

Xexist
12-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Article really wasnt that bad.

Freebird_Falcon
12-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Article really wasnt that bad.

This. Came off as quite positive in its comparison which I read as "the game looks addicting"

Svenn
12-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I don't think there's a problem with comparistons to Magic, obviously HEX has a lot of similarities to it, but I would have found it nice if the article could have talked about HEX on it's own terms for more than two sentences. I mean the article's structure goes:

'HEX is releasing an expansion, just like Hearthstone and Shards.

It's adding abilities such as X (just like Magic), Y (just like Magic) and Z (just like Magic, I think).

HEX is holding a launch event and has published a card list.

Gee I miss Magic.'

For a HEX article it spends a hell of a lot of time talking about games that aren't HEX.

As much as I disliked this article... this is exactly the problem we have. A player who is not familiar with Hex will have thought processes exactly like this. If you've ever wondered why more people aren't jumping in already, this is why.

Danrax
12-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Some of this is an issue on Hex's end - As press sometimes all we have to go on is the media shots that are easily available on the site for a news post, so they should have some new pretty ones front and center as the game gets more attention with the new set. That's probably why that Alpha shot was used.