PDA

View Full Version : Hobbit DBG - 3rd expansion?

drice6900
12-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Will there be a Battle of Five Armies expansion for The Hobbit DBG? If so, is there an estimated release date?

drice6900
01-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Anything? Bueller? Bueller?

drice6900
01-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Bumping so the question isn't lost amongst the DC chatter... :)

Matt_Hyra
01-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Will have announcement soon...

drice6900
01-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Matt! Will check in from time to time... ;)

Aysez
03-07-2015, 08:04 PM
It's been almost two months, any updates? (My S.O. LOVES this game, as do I.) I just got her the Desolation of Smaug as a present. I'd like to round out the set.

Keintol
03-25-2015, 11:36 AM
Finally are you going to end the saga? Please, give us some information.
Thank you very much.

Tree_Druid
04-02-2015, 12:51 PM
I just got the Hobbit and Desolation expansion, and have been looking around for info on a Battle of Five Armies expansion. Based on what I'm seeing, the game came out in July, then the expansion in September. Then in Matt Hyra teased that we'd be getting info soon. With as active as he seems to be on the BGG forums, if he could tell us, he would. I'm kinda scared that the expansion got scrapped. Maybe the Hobbit didn't sell as well as they expected, and at this point all the movies are out on DVD. The prime time for this would have been to coincide with a theatrical or home release to capitalize on the hype that was generating. I still really hope there will be a third expansion, but it's looking doubtful

drice6900
04-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Yep. Not looking good...

verdealex79
06-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Hi,

no news yet? Will there ever be any?

You made 5 games for a line that is a esalogy, now you want to leave it un-completed?

Valentha
06-16-2015, 11:53 PM
I wonder if there will be any news about the last expansion to the Hobbit DBG as the last thing that was heard was that there would be an announcement soon. That was back in mid January.

My GF and I love the LOTR DBG, it is what got her into gaming. We bought the Hobbit and the 1st expansion when they became available and would love to have the complete series. I am just wondering what the delay Is. Is it the rules / mechanics that they are trying to get working or is it it being cancelled?

I hope its the former as with only one more title in the series it would be stupid to end it there and not complete the series after the 5 games that preceeded it.

Please Cryptozoic can we have an answer.

Tree_Druid
06-17-2015, 09:05 PM
I too have been subscribed to forums here and at BGG.com waiting for info. My wife and love the Hobbit DBG, and not only was there a post here about an upcoming announcement, but the rulebook references a Battle of Five Armies expansion. I've been waiting a long time though. I can understand if the others didn't sell well they'd scrap the last expansion, but I hope that's not the case. Still crossing my fingers that extended editions of Bo5A will be the right time to release this final expansion.

johnny10
06-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Same as all of you, I am hoping at least some kind of announcement will be made. Even if its "It's still coming" or "It's cancelled". Would just prefer to know whether to keep checking or not at least. Hoping its being worked on.

Tree_Druid
06-20-2015, 07:16 PM
I feel like at this point, it's been long enough that if they were going to do it, they would have. There was trouble with licensing, or the other games didn't sell well enough. Wizkids was making Lord of the Rings Heroclix, and after 2 sets the Tolkien estate charged more for the license, making the cost per booster go up. Sets got more expensive, and had fewer figures in them, and players got upset and didn't buy much of the last sets. Nothing WK can do about higher cost, not their fault, but it hurt their product. Who knows what happened to the Battle of Five Armies expansion, I'd prefer to know it's fate for sure. The truth is the farther we get away from the Desolation expansion, and the farther from the movies release, the less likely we are to see it happen.

scottkthompson
07-15-2015, 07:16 AM
Can you guys just tell us "green light" or "red light"? Should I be moving on from this series? Are you going to finish it or not? My OCD will not allow me to have 5/6ths of a game on my shelf, so if you're not going to finish it, let us know!

Tree_Druid
07-15-2015, 05:44 PM
I don't think it's going to happen brother

Matt_Hyra
07-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Unfortunately, the sales of the Hobbit series were not enough to warrant a 3rd game.

The4gotNdeath
07-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Oh noes

verdealex79
07-21-2015, 05:05 AM
Will never buy Cryptozoic again. Lets see if that gives you money.
I dont like being screwed.

Bomb
07-21-2015, 07:17 AM
Will never buy Cryptozoic again. Lets see if that gives you money.
I dont like being screwed.

You weren't screwed if you have enjoyed hours of any of the previous Lord of the Rings products. To expect Cryptozoic to release a product they expect to fail in sales is unreasonable.

verdealex79
07-21-2015, 11:17 AM
You weren't screwed if you have enjoyed hours of any of the previous Lord of the Rings products. To expect Cryptozoic to release a product they expect to fail in sales is unreasonable.

Oh, I have been screwed for sure. When a product is launched saying it will be a trilogy, then ends up incomplete, I have been screwed.

Tree_Druid
07-21-2015, 05:14 PM
I don't understand that reasoning at all.

The4gotNdeath
07-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Oh, I have been screwed for sure. When a product is launched saying it will be a trilogy, then ends up incomplete, I have been screwed.

Be grateful you even got the first 2 games. I didnt expect the hobbit series to be as popular as the lotr versions to begin with. Dont talk trash about a company that doesnt wanna lose money. Im sure the hobbit might have been a little fun, but clearly not enough people thought it was good enough. Asking crypto to take a monetary just to please a minority of fans is selfish and stupid. When you have your own game company you can go and make all the bad business decisions you want to please your fans. Until then be grateful for what you got.

verdealex79
07-23-2015, 07:43 AM
Asking crypto to take a monetary just to please a minority of fans is selfish and stupid.

First thing first: be careful to the words you use, you are in a public forum.

That said, when they launched the products they said they would make three games, and inside the second game expansion booklet there is a PRINTED reference to a third expansion. I bought the products on that premise, and if I had known they would never make the third, I wouldnt have bought neither the 1st nor the 2nd because I am a collector.

The Middle Earth deckbuilding line has brought money for the first 4 games, otherwise we wouldnt have 5 games. When you make 5 games and you miss 1 to give customers a complete experience, you MUST finish what you started. Its not important if you wont make big money with the last product of a long line which has brought big money till now: instead, you have to do it to be able to make big money again, on next successful lines you are going to launch, otherwise some customers stop trusting you when you start a line next time, because they are not sure you will finish it. And they dont buy.

Cryptozoic wants to make money, and its important they do globally: but they dont have to make money on EVERY single product. Sometimes a small loss is acceptable if it grants you big money for the future.

When a new bar opens and invites everyone for a free breakfast, the bar does not make money that day. That day it LOSES money. But it does these things to please his customers and to earn their sympathy. Then the customers will come back again in following days, when breakfast is not free anymore, and they pay big money, and the bar quickly gains back what he paid in the first day of free breakfast.

I wont come back again to Cryptozoic bar, because they didnt accept a small loss for one of their products and instead decided to upset some of their customers. Business are not only "now": skilled business man have to think to the future, a satisfied customer comes back and brings other money, an upset customer does not come back and stops paying.

They missed only a deck of 90 card to end a line and please anyone. They made 5 products and left the job unfinished. These are facts: then think what you want if you want to be a fan boy.

Bomb
07-23-2015, 08:11 AM
For your sake, maybe they will reconsider this decision in the late future. For all we know, the product series tanked so badly that the decision to not allocate resources into the 3rd expansion ended up being very necessary. As a collector, I feel your pain, but also think that a reputable business wouldn't make this kind of decision lightly unless choosing to proceed was going to be REALLY bad.

AaronH
07-23-2015, 10:06 AM
First thing first: be careful to the words you use, you are in a public forum.

Ah, irony.

you MUST finish what you started.

They really don't, and everything you've said makes you sound like a super entitled child.

but they dont have to make money on EVERY single product. Sometimes a small loss is acceptable if it grants you big money for the future.

Board gaming is a ridiculously niche market that, while it has been growing, is nowhere near big enough to make that kind of business practice smart. Making these games takes a pretty large amount of capital and they really do need to make a profit on everything they make if they want to stay in the game. Or have you not noticed how many board game companies go under because the market is so small? They're not Wal-Mart, a loss of any kind is going to hit pretty hard.

So yes, it sucks that they aren't planning on making the last Hobbit set. But stomping your feet and demanding it "or else" is childish.

verdealex79
07-24-2015, 02:55 AM
Bah.

deckmith
07-26-2015, 01:29 AM
So it is final that there will not be the five armies deck builder?

Matt_Hyra
07-26-2015, 03:33 PM
So it is final that there will not be the five armies deck builder?

Yes

chris_morgan
09-08-2015, 06:57 AM
While my brother and me would love the final game to be made, we do understand the decission to not makemit, it sucks but we are very happy with all the Cryptozoic products we have played/bought. Besides in either case as long as the new Ghostbusters Board Game is great I will be a very happy camper.

Tree_Druid
09-08-2015, 06:13 PM
glad someone is being positive instead of just whining. This will more likely get us an expansion than angry rants. Well said.

Marconi91
10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes

What would it take to make the 3rd and final expansion? Possible kickstarter? Commitments?

Matt_Hyra
10-06-2015, 05:04 PM
What would it take to make the 3rd and final expansion? Possible kickstarter? Commitments?

Nothing at this point. The only reasonable window would have been close to the DVD release, and it was deemed non-viable at even that point.

Tree_Druid
10-06-2015, 06:31 PM
3rd expansion or not, you made an excellent game that my friends and I enjoy. Hats off to you sir