01-09-2015, 05:03 PM
A brief overview of the features coming up in the next big patch

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-welcome-to-2015/

MatWith1T
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
"On its way" hype!

Zophie
01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the update I look forward to more Arena news!!!!

Vorsa
01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Drat; "we can’t wait to show it to you" & "hopefully we’ll be able to show you more in the near future" make things feel quite some way off - probably shouldn't have gotten my hopes for Q1. :(

Ah well; many moving parts indeed, and they got-to-do what they got-to-do to do it right.

Happy 2015, and thanks again for the Storm Cloud sleeves. :)

Salverus
01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
nothing solid yet :(
I had hoped there would be a date in it.
now we can just go back to lurking until next update post.

Falaris
01-09-2015, 05:21 PM
A bit disappointed, I have to admit. The one very frustrating part of this for me is that how could they be so far off in their assessment of the estimated release date, when they initially said Arena was going to be released in December? Now it feels like we'll be lucky to get it by February. I recognize that they don't want to repeat their previous mistake by assigning a specific time-frame to things, but how could they be off by several months, when the announcement that Arena was almost here was made in November?

Shaqattaq
01-09-2015, 05:21 PM
We would love to show it to you if it were polished and ready, but it's just not ready for that debut. Showing it now just wouldn't be fair to players in that it's incomplete and a handful of UI screenshots really doesn't do the experience justice.

Falaris
01-09-2015, 05:24 PM
We would love to show it to you if it were polished and ready, but it's just not ready for that debut. Showing it now just wouldn't be fair to players in that it's incomplete and a handful of UI screenshots really doesn't do the experience justice.

I 100% agree that this is the one release that needs to be phenomenal for the future success of the game. We've got an entire segment of the playerbase that initially invested in Hex JUST for the PvE aspects of it. I'm just confused how there would be an announcement in November about a planned December release, then have it be 2-3 months after that date.

RoyHarper
01-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Great to hear everything is "on it's way..." Can we get some data on the total number of AA Scriveners given away during the break? Thanks again for the Charity event sleeves.

Shaqattaq
01-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I 100% agree that this is the one release that needs to be phenomenal for the future success of the game. We've got an entire segment of the playerbase that initially invested in Hex JUST for the PvE aspects of it. I'm just confused how there would be an announcement in November about a planned December release, then have it be 2-3 months after that date.

Well Arena is just one piece of the entire PVE experience, but it is important for the game that it's fun and enjoyable for players overall.

As for the dates in general, that's a bit of the cost of transparency with the project. Most games wouldn't reveal dates for in-development pieces so early and would wait until they're solid, practically complete. We try to be more open and available for questions that other projects would shy away from, and that means sometimes features are going to slip from the dates we're projecting. We love being able to have these conversations and appreciate our closeness with the community and hope you can understand that we're trying to balance those two things while at the same time trying to always side with making ourselves accessible to the players' questions.

Xenavire
01-09-2015, 05:34 PM

You could show it to me, you know I wouldn't mind. ;)

But I fully support the decision to hold it until it is ready for public consumption. Set 2 did go a lot more smoothly than it could have (it could have been an unmitigated disaster) and that came down to getting all the right treatment and polish before letting it roam free. Therefore, I am more than happy to play the waiting game for arena as well. :)

ryuukan
01-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Cory's 2015 New Years Resolution list:

1. Stop giving out release estimates
2. Stop giving out release estimates
3. Stop giving out release estimates
4. Stop giving out release estimates
5. Stop giving out release estimates
6. Stop giving out release estimates
7. Stop giving out release estimates
8. Stop giving out release estimates
9. Stop giving out release estimates
10. Finish designing briar legion unique troop

Falaris
01-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Yes, all in all Id much rather get it right than get it early. My hope is that the delays with each major release have more to do with laying the framework for a groundbreaking entrance than something that will be a persistent pattern throughout the life of the game. If every major content release will have these delays I'd feel concerned about the future of the product.

Scammanator
01-09-2015, 05:41 PM

Seconded on taking time to make sure the Arena is awesome before releasing it. I get why the December estimate (not an announcement) was missed. It was partly Cory's unwavering optimism making the estimate earlier than it should be expected, and partly that inevitable stage in game development where everything seems like it's one step forward and two steps back. That phase always takes more time than it looks like it will.

I am super excited for the arena, but I can wait until it's done. I've waited this long, after all. I'd just like to see a regular release of spoilers to make the wait a bit easier. It wouldn't have to be much. I'd be happy with a few pieces of equipment a week, as long as they were spread out. I didn't mind it being so quiet this week because HexEnt was just getting back from the holidays and settling back in, but I really miss getting fairly regular updates throughout the week. Are there plans for more articles in the near-future, Shaqattaq?

L1ght
01-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Any update on when we'll see the last 2 Collector Tier AAs for 2014?

regomar
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Well, that update was a whole lot of nothing... oh well. At least PvP is good, but I Kickstarted this for the PvE and I'm still waiting...

Antfunk
01-09-2015, 06:40 PM
I understand the delay but honestly that was really just like rewriting everything we already knew in different words. I mean I don't get why we can't get a sample of an opponent in arena or a piece of loot or some hints at what are going to be in chests. That kind of info could be given out and would people satiated :).

plaguedealer
01-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Delay pve until it is polished I say, it is so important for the future of this game.

asdf2000
01-09-2015, 07:07 PM
How is cory so bad at guessing when stuff will be ready.

N3rd4Christ
01-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Dissapointed no DSCoin announcement!

WolfCrypt
01-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I hope it's released this month... Well something for us "we hate pvp" people I like talking to people but my skills are not competitive...

RCDv57
01-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Dissapointed no DSCoin announcement!

What even is that? Google has failed me.

N3rd4Christ
01-09-2015, 07:47 PM
What even is that? Google has failed me.http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=40230

Mahes
01-09-2015, 07:48 PM
That update actually made Arena seem like it is still months away. I guess the new estimate is April now? I really do hope Arena comes before Set 3.

RobHaven
01-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Drat; "we can’t wait to show it to you" & "hopefully we’ll be able to show you more in the near future" make things feel quite some way off - probably shouldn't have gotten my hopes for Q1. :(

This is exactly how I felt after reading the update. I feel worse now than I did before...and my expectations were already pretty low. It sounds like pve is still an eternity away.

Perfectblue
01-09-2015, 10:04 PM
This is exactly how I felt after reading the update. I feel worse now than I did before...and my expectations were already pretty low. It sounds like pve is still an eternity away.

Agreed, very underwhelming update. It was sounded like we were going to get something with some substance today.

Xenavire
01-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Nothing ever gave me the impression that today would be an important update. I have no idea where people got this idea.

bootlace
01-09-2015, 11:13 PM
I hope it's released this month...

Based on this quote it's not likely:

Over the course of the next couple weeks, we’ll show off a few screenshots of the new chat system.

But there's plenty of events going on in January to keep us busy, check out the event calendar of the upcoming events:

http://www.hexprimal.com/event-calendar/

Glae
01-10-2015, 01:35 AM
I wasn't expecting a release date, but I was hoping for literally any new content. "Reminder, VIP tournies still happen at the end of the month" seemed about the only piece of actual information in the post.

If the Arena is still not even close to visually ready, why not start dripping out some PVE previews? A new pve card, the pve equipment for an existing pvp card, or the contents of a chest would go a long way to satisfying the community craving for PVE. Maybe some skill trees for our Heroes? Something? Anything other than "see the standard VIP schedule."

Ertzi
01-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Reality check estimate: I hope I will be able to play PvE all through my annual leave from work. I always take all of July off. I'm being dead serious. Please have something before then.

Cato
01-10-2015, 04:43 AM
I'm still hoping for the Arena to be released in February. I'm glad they have not set a deadline this time, #soon is much better then missing a date.

drui
01-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Thats great - but you can afford that in normal development circle. Not when you made a kickstarter based on PvE that funded your game. You were funded June 7, 2013. Now it looks like we will get "Arena" (not even the full PvE) almost 2 years after that... For early access or kickstarter developement is necessary to at least show progress - even in case the progress is few screenshots and dev diary about planned pve features.
I know that it takes time, but your kickstarter looked like everything will be ready much sooner. So still dissapointed here, but still waiting.

Xenavire
01-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Thats great - but you can afford that in normal development circle. Not when you made a kickstarter based on PvE that funded your game. You were funded June 7, 2013. Now it looks like we will get "Arena" (not even the full PvE) almost 2 years after that... For early access or kickstarter developement is necessary to at least show progress - even in case the progress is few screenshots and dev diary about planned pve features.
I know that it takes time, but your kickstarter looked like everything will be ready much sooner. So still dissapointed here, but still waiting.

There has been plenty of progress. Lots of the PvP features are required for PvE to be built.

Just because you aren't being shown constant teasers doesn't mean there isn't proof of progress.

drui
01-10-2015, 09:48 AM
There has been plenty of progress. Lots of the PvP features are required for PvE to be built.

Just because you aren't being shown constant teasers doesn't mean there isn't proof of progress.

I know that you are the big hex defender here - but noone expected no PvE almost 2 years after successful kickstarter and almost no info about it for the majority of the time. Give us developer diary - anything. Thats not constant teasers, that's informing your customers that are waiting for that long. Other successful kickstarter games gave customers almost constant steam of information about development process and the progress of various features.

Im not only negative one - for example mercenary dev diary was great and exactly the type of info i expected as a customer every 2-3 weeks till the release. But that was the rare post in the swarm of posts about t-shirts, sleeves and cons and buy our new expansion...

Xenavire
01-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I know that you are the big hex defender here - but noone expected no PvE almost 2 years after successful kickstarter and almost no info about it for the majority of the time. Give us developer diary - anything. Thats not constant teasers, that's informing your customers that are waiting for that long. Other successful kickstarter games gave customers almost constant steam of information about development process and the progress of various features.

Im not only negative one - for example mercenary dev diary was great and exactly the type of info i expected as a customer every 2-3 weeks till the release. But that was the rare post in the swarm of posts about t-shirts, sleeves and cons and buy our new expansion...

When Alpha took longer to land, and then took longer to reach beta... I adjusted my expectations. Defender or not, everyone should have done the same adjustments mentally.

As it is, the devs clearly feel very strongly that they don't want to show incomplete content. They have been very accommodating within that restriction, showing off Krakens Lair/Gold, discussing changes to mercs and champions, etc etc.

Blowfeld
01-11-2015, 02:02 AM
Basically the update read: We have nothing solid to tell you, but here is some new sleeves.

That's ok.

Nothing overwhelming, but ok. I just find those "We are still working on it without anything new to tell but we want it to be awesome" posts not necessary and a little redundant.

Anyways, looking forward to PVE, but right now, even with set 2, I enjoy some Hex off time, as somehow set 2 did not manage to make me get back into the game very much. still sitting on a lot of booster packs that are unopened and looking forward to that moment when my brain screams "go play some hex, dude" again :)

Until then I will log in once weekly for my free draft and do some rare drafting...for science ;)

malloc31
01-11-2015, 09:30 AM
I wasn't expecting a release date, but I was hoping for literally any new content. "Reminder, VIP tournies still happen at the end of the month" seemed about the only piece of actual information in the post.

If the Arena is still not even close to visually ready, why not start dripping out some PVE previews? A new pve card, the pve equipment for an existing pvp card, or the contents of a chest would go a long way to satisfying the community craving for PVE. Maybe some skill trees for our Heroes? Something? Anything other than "see the standard VIP schedule."

this is exactly how i feel. I understand all the coding is not done for PVE (and didn't expect it to be), but i did expect that 90% of the design of it would be and they could share some more. And the most depressing part is Arena is just something they added since they understand competing Dungeons and Raids is taking too long, at this rate Dungeons will be 2016 and Raids 2017. :(

Aradon
01-11-2015, 09:37 AM
As it is, the devs clearly feel very strongly that they don't want to show incomplete content. They have been very accommodating within that restriction, showing off Krakens Lair/Gold, discussing changes to mercs and champions, etc etc.

I don't think they've been very accommodating at all. They've shown us incredibly fragmented or partial plans, with very limited examples. For instance, the reworked Bebo is an example case that they immediately after said, "Oh but this isn't how every merc will look!" if I recall. For all the PvE's been iterated on since the Kickstarter, we've heard remarkably little about it, and seen virtually none of it.

I'll sit here and wait for that, but I'll disagree with your claim that they're showing us much at all.

drui
01-11-2015, 10:30 AM
I see it like this:
1. either you have no pve game mechanics like character trees and rpg parts set in stone (which is baaad at this stage of developement)
2. or you have them and you are just "making the game" (coding, testing, polishing)

in the second case, there is no reason for not talking about them and previewing the pve content.

When Alpha took longer to land, and then took longer to reach beta... I adjusted my expectations. Defender or not, everyone should have done the same adjustments mentally.

I did that few times already. Last time i shifted to "at least we will have arena during Christmas"

AstaSyneri
01-12-2015, 02:02 AM

I absolutely agree. A few PvE cards or item abilities would go a long way.

Personally I believe the balancing is a problem: How do you make the Arena interesting for beginner's, while at the same time also making it a challenge for the players who have high skill and/or a more or less complete PvP collection? I can't even fathom how to get a handle on that.

My suggestion: Roll out PvE as you did PvP in Alpha: Admit the higher ranked Kickstarter backers first to have a larger pool of testers, then slowly admit everybody else.

Yoss
01-12-2015, 09:53 AM
My suggestion: Roll out PvE as you did PvP in Alpha: Admit the higher ranked Kickstarter backers first to have a larger pool of testers, then slowly admit everybody else.

How would they handle the loot and gold we'd be farming? Not really fair to let some people start earning while others can't.

Glae
01-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Just don't let anyone get loot from it. Easy. We heard there was going to be test server, and there hadn't been one. The "burn it to the ground" server iirc.

Xenavire
01-13-2015, 12:29 AM
I am certain they will not roll out PvE on a special server. They won't gate it, it will simply launch when it is ready.

I honestly think that is the best way to do it too - no matter how patient most of us have been, there are many who take every chance to sling blame, and letting people into a special server for incomplete content is begging for trouble. So instead they should just roll it out to the standard servers, same as they always do.

Glae
01-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Well, based on the day one bugs we found on Set 2 release, releasing a test server PVE experience seems vastly preferred to a buggy public release. If we have bugs like the ones still plaguing set 2 (or even set 1!) for similar lengths of time in PVE that seems like it would be very bad.

Yes, "they'll release it when they think its perfect," but Set was delayed twice and it still has bugs that were 1) super easy to stumble into 2) very obvious that they were happening and 3) not fixed yet. So saying the same thing about PVE raises more alarms in me than confidence.

If they're worried about people slinging blame, they should probably be more worried about tons of PVE cards not working at all, or being so obviously bugged it looks like they didn't even pretend to do QA than being worried about Random User X qqing that Special Snowflake Y got to play PVE first and receive no rewards.

Xenavire
01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
You don't know how their QA works. Take my word when I say that it isn't so cut and dry.

Lukezors
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I think some people are antsy because we have basically no idea how arena will work. Like will it work like starter trials (essentially just a 'next fight' button?) or will it be more interactive? If so how?

Would also be nice to get some info on what kind of rewards we can earn in the arena and maybe a few examples of PVE cards and equipment(assuming we can get them through it!)

Maybe a better idea of what we can get in chests too?

Just some ideas! Very excited to see what this year brings. As excited for arena as anyway but I really can't wait for double backs, they will make playing constructed games much more interesting for me as it will add a sense of progression to every mode in the game!

Aradon
01-13-2015, 10:37 PM
As far as I know, it will be a game mode of sequential fights, pulled randomly from a pool. It's intended for PvE to be able to be put down between fights, so yes, it should work functionally similar to the starter trials in that you can play one match, log out, and play the next later. Every five fights is supposed to be a special 'boss' encounter. Better loot for making it longer without losing a match. I think 20 is supposed to be the full run?

As for spoilers of what cards and equipment we'll be able to earn, yeah. That'd be nice. Long overdue, but apparently they don't want to show us so as not to ruin the suspense.