PDA

View Full Version : Adding Rivals cards to core set

hsieh
01-12-2015, 11:00 PM
I have a tough enough time combining all my cards from the DC sets, much less with the Street Fighter and Naruto sets (though I've somehow managed it at a decent size), but the Rivals set with its Confrontation mechanic kind of mucks it all up. Do you all think these cards are even compatible with the core set? I could of course just use the cards that don't have the Confrontation or Block keywords, but that takes out a lot of the fun cards like Billionaire. And I also wondered if I could just replace all instances of "Confrontation" with "Attack", but that just doesn't work as well (and IDK how balanced it'd be). How have you all been combining these cards?

Dreris
01-13-2015, 06:35 AM
One way Matt mentioned is to give every oversized card a cost of 9 and is you do a confrontation against a foe and they cant block it, it causes your Oversized card to turn over and you don't get your ability for the rest of the game.

BaijoGosum
01-13-2015, 08:06 AM
I just add the cards that do not involve confrontations. It ends up being 30 cards, which is about the same size as the new cards from crisis 1. So I end up using two card types from each big box and than on set of 30 cards from a small box.

LRoq617
01-13-2015, 07:58 PM
I just add the cards that do not involve confrontations. It ends up being 30 cards, which is about the same size as the new cards from crisis 1. So I end up using two card types from each big box and than on set of 30 cards from a small box.

This. I've recently begun a variant where I only include one of each card in DC + expansions and Street Fighter, and for this set, I excluded any card referencing the terms "Block," "Confrontation," or "Cost."

This left me with 24 cards total: Robin, Victor Zsasz, Insanity, Arkham Asylum, Batmobile, Batwoman, Vicky Vale, Nightwing, Alfred Pennyworth, The Penguin, Laughing Gas, Hugo Strange, Clayface, Red Robin, Bane, World's Greatest Detective, Batarang, The Riddler, Huntress, Mr. Freeze, Homicidal Maniac, Wayne Manor, Two-Face, and Oracle.

I'll definitely miss having some cards like Killing Joke, Billionaire, Catwoman, and Utility Belt, but I suppose those are the breaks. Negated terminology is a mofo, especially if you're playing with new people, so I just choose to avoid it at all costs.

hsieh
01-16-2015, 04:10 PM
This. I've recently begun a variant where I only include one of each card in DC + expansions and Street Fighter, and for this set, I excluded any card referencing the terms "Block," "Confrontation," or "Cost."

This left me with 24 cards total: Robin, Victor Zsasz, Insanity, Arkham Asylum, Batmobile, Batwoman, Vicky Vale, Nightwing, Alfred Pennyworth, The Penguin, Laughing Gas, Hugo Strange, Clayface, Red Robin, Bane, World's Greatest Detective, Batarang, The Riddler, Huntress, Mr. Freeze, Homicidal Maniac, Wayne Manor, Two-Face, and Oracle.

I'll definitely miss having some cards like Killing Joke, Billionaire, Catwoman, and Utility Belt, but I suppose those are the breaks. Negated terminology is a mofo, especially if you're playing with new people, so I just choose to avoid it at all costs.

I've been trying a Highlander-type variant, myself! Though I have the Forever Evil set too, on top of Naruto and Street Fighter, so I think I might have to separate my brands :/

But yeah, I really want to incorporate Billionaire and cards like that somehow ... ah well. Can't have everything.

Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure about the suggestion that Matt made (thanks Dreris)-- seems like the whole rest of the game is a bit much.

TanisFrey
03-13-2015, 05:58 PM
I just received my copy of rivals. After reviewing it, I think that you can add every card if you want. You just ignore text relating to Confrontations and Blocks.

Only two of the locations cards become almost useless. The Batcave and Abandoned Amusement Park only effect confrontations and their only use in the main game would be to protect you other locations when Killer Frost or the supervillain that forces you to discard a location attacks. I cannot remember the supervillains name.

destroth
03-16-2015, 10:05 AM
Today we had a few round of dc mix set.... And my fren asked me why didn't I add in rival cards to confront, he then suggested that we can choose to confront the supervillians (and if you fail, you couldn't buy any card from the line-up).... However at most time it would already be quite easy to accumulate up to 9-10 power... And due to that I suggest to add a block pile beside the supervillian, each time the supervillian is confront, after the player has accumulated sufficient power then a block card from the block pile will be opened and the subsequent additional cost will be added to the supervillian

Dreris
03-17-2015, 05:17 AM
The way I've decided to do it is to consider block to be defense and confrontation to be attack related, so if soemone attacks you not only can you play a defense or cards that give you a benefit from being attacked, but not both.

Havent playtested yet so it may change

TanisFrey
03-17-2015, 12:29 PM
I had one additional thought about missing this set with other sets. Add in one house rule, you must announce that you are confronting the supervillian in order to purchase the Nemesis card. Other players can play blocks if in hand to prevent you from buying that card. Other wise you cannot go after the nemesis card.