PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Frost Ring Battle

Shaqattaq
01-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi HEXers! Today’s update features Tyler James, our art director, taking us through a quick trip of the last two years of HEX art! You'll see how we've improved the art of the game, new artists we've picked up, and the reveal of the Frost Ring battle board!

http://hextcg.com/hex-update-frost-ring-battle/

plaguedealer
01-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Glad to see the artist recognition, they do a great job. Very cool new art!

Gregzilla
01-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Let the speculation begin on what those new cards are! :D

bootlace
01-16-2015, 04:58 PM
New game board looks great. Question about:

We have plans for special cards to feature artwork with animated layers and particle effects similar to how we approach our PVE environments.

Would these be the 'foil' cards, or is this another new type of card previously not mentioned?

Scammanator
01-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Great article Tyler!

Everything looks amazing!

fabriazp
01-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Well this update was better than what I was expecting to be honest. Seems like getting "playmates" could be a possibility in the near future

Shaqattaq
01-16-2015, 05:11 PM
New game board looks great. Question about:

Would these be the 'foil' cards, or is this another new type of card previously not mentioned?

We've spoken about animated cards before as it's a very popular request from the playerbase, but there's no specific plan in place as to how they would be unlocked or obtained. Foiling is separate.

plaguedealer
01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Well this update was better than what I was expecting to be honest. Seems like getting "playmates" could be a possibility in the near future

I have to troll, because I read this and didn't understand if you were talking about guilds, raids, etc. Then a smile came to my face on what else it could mean. I too would like playmats, could definitely be something of high value.

Odai
01-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Finally news about PvE content, it's about time!
Please more of that and less about PvP and Tornaments 5 times a week!

Vorsa
01-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Ooh; thanks for the fun update! :)

The board looks (& sounds) nice, as does the art - seems odd seeing a dwarf in the great outdoors.
Not sure it's a good strategy to light all the bombs while still in backpack though...

bootlace
01-16-2015, 05:35 PM
We've spoken about animated cards before as it's a very popular request from the playerbase, but there's no specific plan in place as to how they would be unlocked or obtained. Foiling is separate.

Awesome, had no idea this was actually being looked into. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg to get a hold of one of these but looking forward to the challenge :)

Deathlock
01-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the update.
Hex art is absolutely amazing. :)

There is mentioning of next gen shader technology, or I got it wrong? Will system requirements of the game become higher, or they will stay the same? Are there any plans on giving players control of graphics quality, not only resolution? Just curious, because I play HEX on a laptop mostly.

Shaqattaq
01-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Awesome, had no idea this was actually being looked into. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg to get a hold of one of these but looking forward to the challenge :)

It's definitely something we want to do. It's resource intensive as far as what it takes to do on our end, so I wouldn't look for it anytime soon. :)

N3rd4Christ
01-16-2015, 06:00 PM
No updates on any uodates coming soon? I'm not expecting arena but at least bug fixes...

a-V-e-n
01-16-2015, 06:03 PM

Cool! Now I can imagine the ultimate pimp versions of cards to get being FAAAAF (Full Art, Alternative Art, Animated, Foil). Wow.

-Aries-
01-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone!

I normally don't post, just browse the forum for news and information. However since I'm an aspiring artist I could not resist commenting the tremendous talent of art provided in this game.

It's awesome that we get some exposure about what's happening behind the scenes and the talented people who make things happen. It would be really cool if HEX made a "behind the scenes" video of these artists for the community so we can really appreciate the hard work put in that most of us are not aware of.

The artists must be busy all the time but I wish they could interact with the community and teach us a few things. What I wouldn't give for some tutorial/speedpainting videos of a HEX card. :o

Even though most of us don't see the motivation and dedication put in behind the scenes to make this game a great experience. I would like to personally thank the artists and everyone else in HEX entertainment for creating what I believe will be the best TCG around the world.

selpai
01-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Glad to see an update like this. Sometimes, it's the little things that count the most

Drake6k
01-16-2015, 10:46 PM
It is nice seeing the artists!!

I've always been sad that HEX cards don't have artist names on them. If HEX artists were allowed to sell prints then there are a few that I'd absolutely buy and frame for my wall.

Xenavire
01-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Hey, heres a crazy (awesome) idea - you just showed us mugshots of some of the most awesome artists around (Hex artists, you guys amaze me). Now, what if we could make those guys just that little bit more famous?

Yes, I am leading up to a cool idea, don't rush me dammit. Now, it is a well known fact (or it was until recently at least) that double backs will have the artists name on there, so we can follow our favourite artists. So, what I was thinking? Turn that name into a link that brings up a pop-up that lists all the cards they worked on, plus their mugshots! How cool would it be to see every card -insert artists name here- has worked on, accompanied by their goofy grin? :D

I know I would love to have that sort of feature, and I would definitely try to make some artist decks. :p

RCDv57
01-17-2015, 12:17 AM
That new playmat is pretty cool.

I hope that this means that someday we will be able to select our own personal PvP mats.

Oh right, and i'm totes jelly of dat showcased talent. It makes me feel either inadequate or really adequate of my forum title. I haven't figure it out yet.

RCDv57
01-17-2015, 12:20 AM

I hope that this means that someday we will be able to select our own personal PvP mats.

Oh right, and i'm totes jelly of dat showcased talent. It makes me feel either inadequate or really adequate of my forum title. I haven't figure it out yet.

EDIT:

.... I would definitely try to make some artist decks. :p
That is an AWESOME idea! Get some Paolo vs Sven matches going.

Zubrin
01-17-2015, 01:57 AM

You will, in theory. Additional mats/boards was a kickstarter stretch goal at $660,000.

Xenavire
01-17-2015, 04:22 AM
You will, in theory. Additional mats/boards was a kickstarter stretch goal at $660,000.

They never specifically talked about where those mats would be used. There is every chance they will be enviromental, PvE exclusive gameboards - not that it wouldn't be possible to allow them in PvP, but the plan might be PvE only for now. Curious to hear more, honestly.

Glae
01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm curious how PVP mats would even work. Would you see yours, your opponents or a random one?

malloc31
01-17-2015, 11:24 AM
I'm curious how PVP mats would even work. Would you see yours, your opponents or a random one?

I would think you would see yours. With an option maybe to see your opponents instead.

ronwac
01-18-2015, 12:17 AM
This update was like an oasis for the drought of PvE updates. Thank you!

strawwmann
01-18-2015, 06:17 AM
Maybe with a 'jig-saw mat'?
That is, where any two mats could join & match in the centre - your personal one on your side of the table & your opponent's on theirs - both players would see the same table with the combined pair of 'jig-saw mats'.
A possibility, but probably too limiting on how new/alternate playmats could be designed.

strawwmann
01-18-2015, 06:22 AM
I know I would love to have that sort of feature, and I would definitely try to make some artist decks. :p

Cool idea!
Maybe one-day they could have an artist-themed arena, where ALL decks (AI & yours) had to be by a single artist.

Nice, and deserved, tribute to the artists BTW.
Hopefully some similar stories will follow showcasing some of the other hard-working talent behind the scenes?

Gwaer
01-18-2015, 08:38 AM
I've always assumed it would be your mat on your side and their mat on theirs.

Dimth
01-19-2015, 03:16 PM
With no disrespect to the artists involved, let me express a sentiment so far absent on this thread:
I don't care about the artwork. Especially the playmats. The play mats' ineffective use of screen space is the third-worst thing about Hex..
What is the worst, you ask, and what did we come tantalizingly close to actually fixing? The lack of PvE content. I supported this KickStarter for and only for the PvE content. I am dissatisfied with the patience I have been required to have. I don't care if there aren't layers of shaded particle effects on the PvE, I just want PvE to exist. Really. Give me a campaign that makes "permanent" something different than in most tabletop games and all computer CCGs.

Mechanics. Content. Then artwork.

In terms of artwork, always remember: the ugliest dollar bill that is in my pocket, is worth more than the prettiest dollar bill that's not.

Scammanator
01-19-2015, 03:47 PM
With no disrespect to the artists involved, let me express a sentiment so far absent on this thread:
I don't care about the artwork. Especially the playmats. The play mats' ineffective use of screen space is the third-worst thing about Hex..
What is the worst, you ask, and what did we come tantalizingly close to actually fixing? The lack of PvE content. I supported this KickStarter for and only for the PvE content. I am dissatisfied with the patience I have been required to have. I don't care if there aren't layers of shaded particle effects on the PvE, I just want PvE to exist. Really. Give me a campaign that makes "permanent" something different than in most tabletop games and all computer CCGs.

Mechanics. Content. Then artwork.

In terms of artwork, always remember: the ugliest dollar bill that is in my pocket, is worth more than the prettiest dollar bill that's not.

Artwork is always going to be the first thing that's ready to be shown, Dimth. Because until the artwork is presentable, then nothing is presentable.

And you are disrespecting the artists, whether or not it is your intent. This is the first recognition many of the featured artists have received for their work, and you're completely dismissing it.

hacky
01-19-2015, 03:48 PM
I'd rather hear about PVE artwork than having no update at all.

CZE_Ty
01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Just a friendly reminder, pve content design and feature implementation is never worked on by the same people making art for the game.

N3rd4Christ
01-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Just a friendly reminder, pve content design and feature implementation is never worked on by the same people making art for the game.

We love you Ty... Ignore the hate. Its overabundant on the forums.

CZE_Ty
01-23-2015, 12:44 PM
We love you Ty... Ignore the hate. Its overabundant on the forums.

I love you guys.

fido_one
01-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Hey, heres a crazy (awesome) idea - you just showed us mugshots of some of the most awesome artists around (Hex artists, you guys amaze me). Now, what if we could make those guys just that little bit more famous?

Yes, I am leading up to a cool idea, don't rush me dammit. Now, it is a well known fact (or it was until recently at least) that double backs will have the artists name on there, so we can follow our favourite artists. So, what I was thinking? Turn that name into a link that brings up a pop-up that lists all the cards they worked on, plus their mugshots! How cool would it be to see every card -insert artists name here- has worked on, accompanied by their goofy grin? :D

I think this is a great idea and my take has always been to up it a little bit; I want a[n eventual] link to their general portfolios, Hex and beyond. I want to get to know the artists as much as I can; surely most of them are chomping at the bit to link their websites, etc.

Doesn't have to be directly off of the card - link it to their Hex profile/bio artist page and link off of that.