PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Draft lack of popularity

Lafoote
01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Can something be done to increase the rate of fire for the Swiss draft? The wait time for it is usually fairly excessive. I usually end up having to play the competitive draft which is way over my head. Once I'm out of draft tickets, I just don't see myself drafting ever if that's all I get to choose from. Sweeten the pot a little, or maybe have them at scheduled times where people can reliably find one, rather than sitting for an hour or two waiting.

At the very least, we need an alarm or audio notification when the event begins. That way we can queue up, tab out, and go on with our lives until it goes off. At present, it's too easy to miss the event start.

Scammanator
01-21-2015, 09:24 AM
I can't say that your experience reflects my own.

I've gotten into Swiss draft within 5 minutes of queueing the last several times that I've tried. Also, there is an audio notification when the draft starts. It could probably be louder, but you can change the relative volume with your system settings. I also recommend playing in windowed mode.

plaguedealer
01-21-2015, 09:44 AM
A alarm for draft pops would be nice. I will sometime play a swiss match when i just want to have fun and not feel pressured. Sometimes they may take about 30 min to a hour before they pop (if they pop at all).

vickrpg
01-21-2015, 11:09 AM
No comment on swiss, never play it if I have a choice.
But as far as a sound notification for tournaments? yes please. It needs to be RIDICULOUSLY obvious. like hearthstone. I.E.:
Music plays while in the Queue. Cue comes up, Music stops. Loud Sound plays (like a gong or something). Then there need to be a 10-30 second countdown with loud beeps that draft is about to start. Then new music should play (draft music .

Heck, there should be a Hex app for your phone that notifies you via text that your draft is about to start.

Lukezors
01-21-2015, 11:25 AM
I think it's mainly s reward vs time commitment thing. I personally prefer comp draft as if I don't do well at least I'm done early and if I'm winning I'm getting good prizes.

Saeijou
01-21-2015, 11:35 AM
No comment on swiss, never play it if I have a choice.
But as far as a sound notification for tournaments? yes please. It needs to be RIDICULOUSLY obvious. like hearthstone. I.E.:
Music plays while in the Queue. Cue comes up, Music stops. Loud Sound plays (like a gong or something). Then there need to be a 10-30 second countdown with loud beeps that draft is about to start. Then new music should play (draft music .

Heck, there should be a Hex app for your phone that notifies you via text that your draft is about to start.

sounds great, i'm down!

regomar
01-21-2015, 11:45 AM
I can't say that your experience reflects my own.

I've gotten into Swiss draft within 5 minutes of queueing the last several times that I've tried. Also, there is an audio notification when the draft starts. It could probably be louder, but you can change the relative volume with your system settings. I also recommend playing in windowed mode.

I don't know when you're playing, but the last few swiss drafts I've joined took at LEAST 45 minutes to fire. It's really annoying. If you're playing any time other than weekend, you'll be waiting for quite some time unless you're extremely lucky. I work on the weekend, so I have to draft on week days or not at all.

vulture27
01-21-2015, 12:05 PM
I think it's mainly s reward vs time commitment thing. I personally prefer comp draft as if I don't do well at least I'm done early and if I'm winning I'm getting good prizes.

This. Even if the payouts were identical I would never play swiss. Experienced players tend to be better players, and better players tend to prefer the competitive payout. Those players got their experience by playing a lot.... So swiss is always going to fire slower due to target audience.

Antfunk
01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
I used to to do Swiss and would probably profit more if I did but the time sink is just to much for the reward of 2 or 3 wins.

katkillad
01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I used to only play swiss, but the set 1 pack for two wins makes it no longer attractive to play. I don't think there's anything to be done to fix that issue except wait for when set 3 comes and it goes back to 3-3-3.

HomerSimpson
01-22-2015, 04:35 PM
They just go on too long for the level of prizes now set 2 is out, the prize for 2 wins isnt long enough to justify 3 hours if you dont win it

That said, if I could do things like mess around listing/buying on AH or build decks or whatever else on the client between rounds I wouldnt mind so much, I dont really see why the tournament standings couldn't just be a separate tab on the client allowing full use of the rest of the client, other than going in games obviously, This can apply to single elim at times too being forced to sit in the tournament screen means people will go and do something else on another game or watch a video or whatever whilst checking it every few mins for a new round, its a bit tedious

Diesbudt
01-22-2015, 08:55 PM

This.

If my deck is blah, I want to get out and not suffer 3 bad games.

However, if my deck does well, I win prizes faster.

Osthall
01-23-2015, 12:01 AM
I'm all for the alarm suggestion - the fact you need to keep tabbing back in to check (or even be at your keyboard) is ridiculous in 2015.

Cernz
01-23-2015, 01:01 AM
8 man swiss / sealed just need some better rewards.

8 man swiss would be great if 3 wins = 3 set2, 1 set1 as a reward
8 man sealed should get 5 set2, 2 set1 as a reward for full win (or 5/3, 6/2)

They could decrease the set1 output from 2 wins and below to compensate the
higher packs for full win, or even better they change nothing and just increase
the packs for 3 wins ;)

Scheduled sealed price payouts are great tho :) (but still it dont fire that much....)

israel.kendall
01-23-2015, 02:21 AM
This.

If my deck is blah, I want to get out and not suffer 3 bad games.

However, if my deck does well, I win prizes faster.

Lol, well if you want out then just drop man....

jonsnow2000
01-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Sadly, Swiss doesn't have the many regular players that competitive has. They sometimes fire quickly, but otherwise you wait up to an hour for them to fill. But even tho I play Swiss exclusively (I hate the variance on competitive) I wouldn't want them to beef up the payout. It's already generous compared to buying boosters on the store. It will get alot better once we can actually do other stuff while waiting for next round, and once we get a proper notification system for when the Draft is about to fire.