PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamer article on Hex, Scrolls and SolForge

teddyclaw
01-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I could not find it in the forums using the search and I thought it might be interesting for some people. PC Gamer released an article on what they call "Three card game alternatives to Hearthstone" including Scrolls, Hex and SolForge (found it linked on Steam). The bit about Hex is on page 2. A little bit biased towards the whole sentiment of Hex being a better MtG with some innovative additions using the digital format. But I don't want to comment too much, just read for yourself if so inclined:

http://www.pcgamer.com/three-card-game-alternatives-to-hearthstone/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0 &ns_fee=0#page-2

PS: If this has been posted before, just ignore and close.

Drake6k
01-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Too bad we don't have any PVE yet (they didn't even mention PVE or other future features in the article); I think the biggest barrier that HEX faces right now is the lack of free progression. I'm cautious asking my friends to check out HEX at this point. "How do I get more cards?" they all ask, and I don't feel comfortable telling them "Buy booster packs."

I want to share the HEX hype, but I don't think we're quuuuite ready yet, at least for casual gamers.

AdamAoE2
01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Too bad we don't have any PVE yet (they didn't even mention PVE or other future features in the article); I think the biggest barrier that HEX faces right now is the lack of free progression. I'm cautious asking my friends to check out HEX at this point. "How do I get more cards?" they all ask, and I don't feel comfortable telling them "Buy booster packs."

I want to share the HEX hype, but I don't think we're quuuuite ready yet, at least for casual gamers.

I agree. I am hesitant to introduce my more casual friends to the game before there is some sort of free progression. I know that they would simply burn through the booster packs I give them to draft with, and then sit there with a pile of cards, not wanting to get destroyed in the proving grounds by Kickstarters. The Frost Ring will be a good start, but I hope they add in alternative queues for new players. A starter queue where you can only play with starter deck cards would be a good start. :-)

Thrawn
01-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Seems like a poorly researched article. It talks about Hex being free to play and says it's in open beta which are both not really currently true. At best it seems likely to have people read the article, try the game, think it's a horrible pay to win system being mislabeled as free to play and turn away.

Zophie
01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Seems like a poorly researched article. It talks about Hex being free to play and says it's in open beta which are both not really currently true. At best it seems likely to have people read the article, try the game, think it's a horrible pay to win system being mislabeled as free to play and turn away.

From the article:

... tries harder than any other digital card game I’ve played to emulate the business model used by physical card games

Probably the most divisive change is how you grow your card collection in Hex. After a few tutorial missions you’re left with some gold and a single booster pack. From there you only have two ways to get new cards: purchase booster packs with real money or bid for specific cards in the auction house with gold. This is no different than how any real world card game works, with the auction house being Hex’s version of a card shop or trading with your friends. If you aren’t planning on spending money on Hex, creating a workable collection will be incredibly slow going.

Hex is much more similar to playing a paper card game, meaning it will appeal to the same people who don’t mind buying card packs with actual money in real life.

I think they were pretty clear about the general business model after the initial statement of "free to play." But you're right, they should have put Ninja Beta instead of Open Beta. ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't nitpick the accuracy of these preview articles too much, they're going to happen more and more as Hex gets more popular, and most of them will be written from the perspective of a person new to the game (and maybe even the genre). The best thing we can do is talk about ways that Hex could present its features and payment models in ways that are easier to understand for new players, and help mitigate confusing details like this in future reviews down the road.

Thrawn
01-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Calling the game "free to play" when it's not is far from being nit picky. It's really bad for the the image of the game to be presented as such in its current state.

The open beta thing is just a running joke at this point. It was argued early on that the game wouldn't start getting coverage from bigger outlets until it's actually released as an official open beta but obviously that's not true.

Gwaer
01-26-2015, 11:52 AM
I think it was argued early on that they wouldn't start actively marketing hex until it was an official open beta. Not that people wouldn't create articles on it if they get wind of it, or are doing articles on the topic and the name comes up. But that might just me being nitpicky.

plaguedealer
01-26-2015, 12:01 PM
The statement that concerns me the most is tries harder then other dtcg to emulate the business model of physical card games. Hopefully pve will have enough value for ftp players to grind out a draft a week or something. We will see.

Zophie
01-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I think it was argued early on that they wouldn't start actively marketing hex until it was an official open beta. Not that people wouldn't create articles on it if they get wind of it, or are doing articles on the topic and the name comes up. But that might just me being nitpicky.

Yeah these articles are going to happen regardless of the marketing faucet being turned on or not, most of them also won't be as well informed as us in the community actively following the game either. I don't think there's much that can be done about that, maybe leave some well informed comments on the articles, or find ways to help new players out that are coming in with little understanding of the game as it is.

Werlix
01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Calling the game "free to play" when it's not is far from being nit picky. It's really bad for the the image of the game to be presented as such in its current state.

But it is free to play. You download the game, you play it. No money changes hands.

plaguedealer
01-26-2015, 12:42 PM
But it is free to play. You download the game, you play it. No money changes hands.

Then the f2p player leaves. Dont mean to be sarcastic, there is a free 2 play component to hex currently, however we all know it is not the greatest at all.

israel.kendall
01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
They called HEX a CCG and I stopped reading.

dogmod
01-26-2015, 01:22 PM
PvE is needed (f2p basically)
Chat improvement is needed
PvP ranking is needed

Then Hex will take off.

Yoss
01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Am I the only one who can't actually see most of the article? I only see the part on Scrolls...

regomar
01-26-2015, 02:44 PM
They called HEX a CCG and I stopped reading.

CCG, TCG, isn't it all semantics? Those acronyms have been used almost interchangeably since Magic came out in the early-90's...

israel.kendall
01-26-2015, 02:51 PM
CCG, TCG, isn't it all semantics? Those acronyms have been used almost interchangeably since Magic came out in the early-90's...

I think now, in the digital age, it is a big differentiator. Some games cards are not tradable (CCG) and some have tradable cards (TCG). It makes a huge difference as in a TCG your cards have value. If a game is a CCG I won't even play it.

israel.kendall
01-26-2015, 02:57 PM
Also I do recognize the terms are interchangeable to many, but the terms seem to have different meanings to different people now I guess.

AstaSyneri
01-27-2015, 01:35 AM

Exactly. One certain game that cannot be named kind of patented the TCG for itself, all others were therefore know as CCGs hence.

Yoss
01-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Tradeable vs not tradeable is still a HUGE difference, no matter what name is used.

israel.kendall
01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
CCG vs TCG as differentiators has become more popular now, especially when comparing games such as Hearthstone and HEX. You can see this in HEX general chat and on different forums around the web.

Zophie
01-27-2015, 05:17 PM
I think a TCG could be called a CCG, but not all CCGs could be called TCGs.

Stok3d
01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Thank you for sharing! I was unaware of it. I am sad to say though that I feel the article was a horrible representation of this game and it is likely better that it wasn't written than to see what's there. See highlights below:

Shin'hare Militia chosen as represented card. Poor choice to showcase this game.
Nothing regarding KS features incoming discussed. Where is the MMO Part of this game?
Public Comments are also poor

Honestly, I'm not even sure everyone playing now realizes what is being planned to come. Really, there needs to be an article written regarding everything that is planned to come and properly showcases what will make this game so special. I'd start by reviewing Yoss's List (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=35429). I know I'd want to highlight Keep Defense (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26824), double backs, Sandbox features, achievement unlocks, ability to create your own PVE Boss & earn profits depending on popularity and those who attempt it, Raid Bosses, dungeons, etc, etc.

Better yet, make 3x separate articles that I can link to ppl. One that lists out everything this game will be, one that compares all these features and HS, and another that compares all these features against MtG (yes there is one out now, but it is missing a lot of features).

Edit: If we as a community want to do our part with growing this game, we need to storm the comments and showcase what should be showcased and provide lots of positive feedback. Just my 2cents as player feedback carries A LOT more weight typically than the article itself...

magic_gazz
01-28-2015, 06:50 PM
I think the problem is, we can tell people what is coming but the odds on them believing it is quite low. Especially if there are also a bunch of naysayers on the comments.

Hex is not the only kickstarter that promised big and has not yet delivered, so I think a lot of people are sceptical about big promises.

All we can do at the moment is promote what we have and that is not bringing in a lot of people. Once we have some PvE to show them rather than promise, things might be different.

Xexist
01-28-2015, 06:57 PM
ooohhh Yoss you need to update that list at the bottom: hex novel

Jeevus
01-29-2015, 02:47 AM
I think the problem is, we can tell people what is coming but the odds on them believing it is quite low. Especially if there are also a bunch of naysayers on the comments.

Hex is not the only kickstarter that promised big and has not yet delivered, so I think a lot of people are sceptical about big promises.

All we can do at the moment is promote what we have and that is not bringing in a lot of people. Once we have some PvE to show them rather than promise, things might be different.

+1 to that. Exactly my thoughts. I am with Cory not promoting the game until pve is implemented. This way we can show what the game has to offer and what's to come.

AstaSyneri
01-29-2015, 05:35 AM
I know I'd want to highlight Keep Defense (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26824), double backs, Sandbox features, achievement unlocks, ability to create your own PVE Boss & earn profits depending on popularity and those who attempt it, Raid Bosses, dungeons, etc, etc.

I absolutely agree with you. But really, did you have to mention Keep Defense? I had just about reached Inner Peace and tranquility, accepting that the path of life will eventually steer me towards the Arena instead of succumbing to the daily nerve-wracking search for more news on it.

Now you violently pull me out of that equilibrium with a single term. Gaaaaahhh.

Yes, do present some counter points in the commens. I have been doing that in the past on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. In the end, though, the ball is in CZE's court right now. The sooner some of the promised features appear, the sooner Hex will get the rave reviews we think it deserves.

*sigh* I'd love to build a keep and defend it... right now.

Thrawn
01-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Trying to market the game on things like Keep Defense or create your own PVE Boss seems risky as you might just end up with more people that the feature they want isn't being released soon with no news about it. In my opinion at this point we don't even know IF those things are ever going to show up, let alone when. Push the good PvP sets, having an in game AH, having tournaments firing with decent attendance and push the promise of hopefully some basic PvE/MMO style play in the next year or two.

Lawlschool
01-29-2015, 12:31 PM
I thought the article was pretty great, and did Hex justice in its current form. It wasn't a hype piece, so I'm not surprised it didn't mention things that aren't in the game yet. It clearly laid out exactly what Hex is and what you can expect from it right now.