PDA

View Full Version : New chat (testserver) over the top

Largashbur
02-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Hi @ll!

On Streams I have heard many guys say that the new chat is "cool".

But in all honesty, for the function a chat is to fulfill (communication via text), in my opinion, the design is a bit over the top.

First, in my opinion you don't need shadowed bubbles behind every single message, this diverts your attention away from the message content. And a grey background for black text doesn't exactly help the readability, please keep clear contrasts (black/white) for best readability.

Second, i think the icons are a bit over the top, they look suitable for a WoW-like game but appear too colorful and "cuddle-fantasy-like" for HEX. With a game like HEX, I would prefer more dark, clear, artistic icons with a lot of details - so it conforms with the very nice looking card art. The current icons would mesh better with the card art of Hearthstone.

Anyone agrees with me?

Thank you for your attention!
Largashbur

NOBLERoostasaur
02-05-2015, 04:35 PM
Moved to appropriate forum.

Gwaer
02-05-2015, 04:48 PM
I disagree, mainly because most of the MMO community building stuff will live in the chat interface for a very long time. It's the standing around in orgrimmar, or whatever the flavor of the month big city is, and shooting the breeze with fellow players, it needs a lot of personality because it has to do a lot of work, make people feel comfortable, give people a lot of versatility to make it their own, being able to have your own icons will be cool, as long as there is a pretty wide variety of them. I wish it went a little farther and let me pull out chats to a different area, that could minimize into small chat bubble when I'm not using them.

Khazrakh
02-05-2015, 05:03 PM
[...] I wish it went a little farther and let me pull out chats to a different area, that could minimize into small chat bubble when I'm not using them.

That would be a really really cool feature to have, I'd love to see something like that.
On topic - I like the new chat, it has the right feel to it.

Aradon
02-05-2015, 05:12 PM
I like the new chat, but I do want to mention that when I'm using general chat, my framerate suffers noticably. When I swap to help or trade, it returns to normal. This is true even if the help tab is full of messages, so I'm not sure where the issue is coming from.

Gaggball
02-05-2015, 05:54 PM
I also agree that the new chat is over the top. The buttons are way too huge and the chat bubbles on top are unnecessary, so the chat looks cluttered and is harder to follow than the old one.

I had actually hoped for a slick and minimal chat window with highlighted names to seperate them from actual text instead of making it look like an overloaded WhatsApp.

toaster4k
02-05-2015, 07:34 PM
buttons take a bit too much space for me, I was hoping for a more minimalist approach to the chat as well. But thats more of a personal preference. Would be nice to have a modable chat window in the (far) future.

The chat avatar are a cool idea :)

Zophie
02-05-2015, 07:45 PM
I like the bubbles but I think they need customizable colors, or at least give them a bit more contrast from the font color as I find it can be a little difficult to read quickly with the current colors. It might also benefit from scaling/font size options since with the new avatars and bubbles the chat can get a little crowded, especially with a bunch of people talking quickly. EVE Online has options where you can switch the chat from showing large/small/no avatars, as well as all the colors and sizes, perhaps with these options available everyone can tweak the settings to their liking.

Ebynfel
02-05-2015, 08:52 PM
lso have to figure, that this new chat system should be readable on tablets, which Hex will end up landing on. Having that interface in mind, a scaling system for the buttons and, in general, personal device specific chat options would be amazing. But, I personally believe it is already leaps and bounds ahead of live server. The popout windows and such are on my biggest wishlist, as well as customizable channels. For instance, when we get guilds, I hope I can have whispers and guild chat be in the same window, as well as a seperate channel for raid and PVP teams

a-V-e-n
02-05-2015, 09:29 PM
Readability of the new chat is completely awful, it's so hard to see what's going on there and as lots of screen space is wasted there's very little content visible on screen at once. And even with average chatting speed the giant bubbles scroll up so fast it's super inconvenient to read.

Ideal would be the old chat but with a different color for names to distinguish them from all the text would be perfect.

Svenn
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Readability of the new chat is completely awful, it's so hard to see what's going on there and as lots of screen space is wasted there's very little content visible on screen at once. And even with average chatting speed the giant bubbles scroll up so fast it's super inconvenient to read.

Ideal would be the old chat but with a different color for names to distinguish them from all the text would be perfect.
This.

I REALLY hope there is a way to turn off the chat bubbles. They are super annoying and take up way more space than they need. I love the rest of it, just the chat bubbles need to go. I don't even mind the icons. If it was something like "[icon] Name: Message goes here" that would be perfect.

Oli
02-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Same here. Couldn't follow the chat because of the bubbles, but I really like the faces.
So an option to remove the chat-bubbles and replace them with just plain text would be great.

Basically "Svenn +1"

dmar314
02-06-2015, 09:50 AM
I like the graphical look of the new chat, but the old chat did a better job at letting me read more lines of text in a single window. When I try to scroll up on the new chat (which I inevitably have to do because I'm getting much less information without scrolling), the new chat fades out unless I move my mouse back towards the bubbles, and then rapidly back towards the scroll bar. Fading out should be disabled when scrolling and I'd like more information per screen (or an option to disable the icons or make them smaller so I can get more information per screen).

Axle
02-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Would be neat to have one more chat tab for "Looking for battle". Of course you'd let people turn it off for those who don't want it.

For example if I want to face a Gorefeast deck and aren't in a group I can ask, instead of clogging up general chat with my messages I can ask there.

This is like "Recruiting" channels in party mmos.

Zophie
02-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I like the graphical look of the new chat, but the old chat did a better job at letting me read more lines of text in a single window. When I try to scroll up on the new chat (which I inevitably have to do because I'm getting much less information without scrolling), the new chat fades out unless I move my mouse back towards the bubbles, and then rapidly back towards the scroll bar. Fading out should be disabled when scrolling and I'd like more information per screen (or an option to disable the icons or make them smaller so I can get more information per screen).

Yeah I had to turn the fade off right away, I was starting to feel like Marty McFly playing Earth Angel at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

http://i.imgur.com/QksM4Mq.gif

negativeZer0
02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Minimizing chat closes all channels that you are in.

If it's a bug then it'll get's fixed and I'll deal with it for now.

If it's a design choice however it is a very poor one and needs to be changed..

Svenn
02-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Yeah I had to turn the fade off right away, I was starting to feel like Marty McFly playing Earth Angel at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance.

http://i.imgur.com/QksM4Mq.gif
You are now my favorite person on these forums.

Arrgh
02-06-2015, 11:39 AM
I like the idea of the different icons in chat and so on , but at the end of the day the chat is for reading and i feel like the ability to read has gone down with this version. It somehow feels like the text is ..less clear?, perhaps more grey than white ? I think the bubbles take away more than they add atleast with the current mix of colours and that the amount of visible text has gone down making it a bit harder to follow the chat.

However i must say that i like the addition of different chat types and the icons for them look good ( may want to play around with scale a bit ).

israel.kendall
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Should just add in options to toggle bubbles (I like them) and change font sizes/style, etc.

HomerSimpson
02-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Agree with most of the posts saying its hard to read, it looks too much like the same person is typing over and over as well, the username is too small in comparison to the rest of the text

Svenn
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Should just add in options to toggle bubbles (I like them) and change font sizes/style, etc.

This please! Just a simple option to toggle the bubbles on/off would be perfect.

Agree with most of the posts saying its hard to read, it looks too much like the same person is typing over and over as well, the username is too small in comparison to the rest of the text
The chat bubble setup like this was developed for text messages where there are only 2 people talking. It uses left/right alignment along with colors to make it quick and easy to differentiate who is talking. That works great for just 2 people.

In a multi-user room like we've got in Hex all of these benefits are removed. There is no right/left alignment, everything appears to come from the left. All of the colors are the same so the messages all blend together. The differentiation for who is speaking is a little name at the top and the icon on the left. The bubbles themselves only serve to spread the messages out more and waste a lot of space. So, we've got all the downsides to the bubble chat with none of the advantages.

I'm all for making the battle chat or something use the bubbles with different colors for yourself/opponent and left/right alignment. That would be fine. I would still prefer an option to turn it off though.

israel.kendall
02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Customization options should also include options to set chat colors. I could set colors for certain people whose chat I want to stand out, etc.

Largashbur
02-07-2015, 01:58 AM
Having read all the other's opinions I can say that an option to turn chat bubbles off would be the best solution to the current problem.

Svenn
02-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Having read all the other's opinions I can say that an option to turn chat bubbles off would be the best solution to the current problem.

Pleeeease! ;)

Of everything on the test server... this was what bothered me most.

Otorp
02-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Getting rid of the bubbles would be good. As would font size customization would be great too. Also, not automatically snapping the chat log down to the newest message would make catching up on the discussion... possible. Something like Twitch's chat where you are simply notified that there's new messages available below.

israel.kendall
02-09-2015, 02:31 AM
I would also like retina scanner so chat will know when I have already read something and can scroll appropriately.