PDA

View Full Version : Arena too Easy?

YourOpponent
02-05-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure whether this is intended or I just got lucky on my first arena run, but I ended up going 19-1 in the arena using only Set 1 cards, no equipment, 1 rare (Gorefeast) and 2 Legendaries Zoltog. Hopefully it ends up being more challenging.2846

The only real loss was in Tier 2. The other 2 it counted them as being a loss even though I actually won.

poizonous
02-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Im sure it will be more challenging with an Advanced AI, i seen the AI cast stormcall last night on to an open board, then i seen MFM cast extinction onto an open board, so maybe the AI is smart after all lol

Grimshaw
02-05-2015, 09:17 PM
A good number of champions are still unable to use their charge powers. The equipment that most of the champions are using are not working at the moment. And like poizonous said, the AI in the current build will be upgraded before we see the release of Arena. I do expect it to be more difficult when these issues are patched up and we're running it for real for the first time.

With that said, I would have no issue with good players being able to clear the Arena with an inexpensive deck, with a bit of luck. It's the first batch of PVE and I feel like player enjoyment should be the priority. There's a lot of equipment and PVE that people will want to collect, and if you can only do that with tier 1 and 2 constructed decks, the experience may wear thin.

Yoss
02-05-2015, 09:25 PM
All PvE content should have standardized hard modes. Then the normal can be kept at the not-too-hard level and still have the high end. See prior thread on the topic:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27026

nicosharp
02-05-2015, 09:28 PM
All PvE content should have standardized hard modes. Then the normal can be kept at the not-too-hard level and still have the high end. See prior thread on the topic:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27026
Supposedly there is already an easy and Hard mode, per Cory's first explanation of the content. However, from the current version, it looks like easy mode = tier 1, and hard mode ='s tiers 2-4. If tier 1 is suppose to be the easy mode, I think that is fair and easy enough for all players. It's easy to run through it with a starter deck.

elfstone
02-05-2015, 09:44 PM
aye, I think once everything is patched in correctly it will be harder. Most AI cant use their abilities or aren't using them correctly

ronwac
02-06-2015, 01:26 AM
Just to echo the above, I think the difficulty of the opponents is where it should be for introductory PvE content. I know many people who've only done a draft or two that I think will find the content appropriately challenging. It's the AI that needs to improve over the next x weeks between now and launch. If the AI can play their deck correctly, even if they might not be the best at reacting to everything the player does, it will be a huge improvement. It's also nice that they have a diverse array of strategies among the opposing decks, so that if there is an AI that is doing things unusually compared to the others they may be better able to isolate the problem. It's also a good foundation for future dungeons, which will probably be more "thematically focused" on one or two overarching strategies... like Kraken Tentacles :p

negativeZer0
02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
AI is laughably bad (the AI is still very basic, too my understanding very little time has been put into the AI that we have currently, you can safely expect massive improvements down the road)

Some charge powers don't work - Some champions just have non functioning charge powers that make them super easy.

Very little equipment - Difficulty can and will be adjusted by giving more equipment to cards in the chamion's deck.

Finally the ai is really bad right now, yes this deserves being mentioned twice

WolfCrypt
02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm having hard enough time fighting some ais as it is! I really not good at this game ai as smart or er then a person... I'll never get anywhere.

negativeZer0
02-06-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm having hard enough time fighting some ais as it is! I really not good at this game ai as smart or er then a person... I'll never get anywhere.

there will be multiple difficulty levels for precisely this reason. Fear not.

Warrender
02-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Im sure it will be more challenging with an Advanced AI, i seen the AI cast stormcall last night on to an open board, then i seen MFM cast extinction onto an open board, so maybe the AI is smart after all lol

lolwhat? dat MFM!

WolfCrypt
02-06-2015, 11:37 AM
there will be multiple difficulty levels for precisely this reason. Fear not.

I must admit my Sacrifice blood deck is really good and kinda has a combo for anything I draw long as I can get shards out. (needs minion of yakuzan on live server....)

Fred
02-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Also, let's not forget that PvE is the F2P model. It is supposed to be playable with only the first starter deck you get for free when you create an account. It's going to be hard for Hex Ent. to balance things out (which they'll probably do with difficulty levels), but if the Arena can only be completed by players who have invested a lot of money in buying powerful rare cards, it's going to have failed at the free-to-play model.

Svenn
02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Also, let's not forget that PvE is the F2P model. It is supposed to be playable with only the first starter deck you get for free when you create an account. It's going to be hard for Hex Ent. to balance things out (which they'll probably do with difficulty levels), but if the Arena can only be completed by players who have invested a lot of money in buying powerful rare cards, it's going to have failed at the free-to-play model.
All of PvE is not supposed to be completed with starter decks. That seems to be a common misconception. There needs to be SOME content that can be easily completed with a starter deck... but most content should be balanced to be much harder than that. Free players need to be able to come in and play some of the PvE content to where they can earn new cards and then take those cards to build better decks. They won't be stuck with just a starter deck for long, they'll be earning new PvE cards/equipment. No money required, but through time their average power level will increase.

The arena is balanced for both types of players. Tier 1 is meant for new players. Tiers 2-4 are increasing difficulty meant for more advanced players. They might be doable with starter decks (they definitely are right now with the way the AI is and the broken equipment) but that should be very difficult to accomplish. A free player can, however, come in and play through Tier 1 with a free deck and then take the loot from Tier 1 and start building something to work on beating Tier 2+. That's how it should work.

tldr; PvE players are going to be earning PvE cards along the way to build better decks, so very little content needs to be beatable with starter decks.

Zophie
02-06-2015, 02:04 PM
I was under the impression that the entire Arena (all encounters) would be getting a Hard mode eventually with a greater challenge above and beyond the initial run, something that would likely be unlocked after completing the normal mode fully.

Yoss
02-06-2015, 04:18 PM
I was under the impression that the entire Arena (all encounters) would be getting a Hard mode eventually with a greater challenge above and beyond the initial run, something that would likely be unlocked after completing the normal mode fully.

I see absolutely zero reason why Hex wouldn't (eventually) add a smorgasbord of Hard Mode checkboxes and radio buttons to select from after you've beated Normal Mode. Things like:

Singleton
Large Deck (100 card minimum)
Pick: (1) Pauper (commons only), (2) Moneybags (rares and legendaries only), (3) Normal
Prismatic (all 5 shards)
Pick: (1) 15HP start, (2) 10HP, (3) 5HP, (4) 1HP, (5) Normal
et cetera

As a checkbox system, it would be cumulative, so you'd eventually hit a threshold that's nigh impossible, which is fantastic for replay value. Think you can beat Prismatic Pauper Singleton with 1HP start and 100 card deck size?

Once implemented the first time, it would forever more function as "free" extra content from a design standpoint. And they could still add custom hard mode options for specific content areas that are thematically linked in addition to the generic ones.

Avaian
02-06-2015, 04:32 PM
The difficulty may just depend on the champion you face, with your deck.

Just faced Xarlox with a sapphire deck that draws a lot of cards. Those broodlord eggs are not something you want to mess with.