PDA

View Full Version : Aggro favored

wolzarg
02-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Is it just me or is aggro deeply favored? I played all kinds of different versions of control and while they did well they all failed against moon'airu sensei. Then i just threw together a pile of ruby cards with efficiency and 20-0 ed without any effort what so ever. most of my equips didn't even work and some of them even made the cards harder to play(Looking at you self fighting minotaur). Am i just imagining it or is there really no reason to play anything besides ruby aggro unless you are looking for fun especially since its infinitely much faster finishing most games by turn 4.

TL : DR Is ruby the minmax dream?

EDIT: Mine wasn't really an AI issue tho as i got a single game for free because of the AI making a silly attack the other 19 it didn't.

Aradon
02-06-2015, 11:10 PM
I just put together a mono green aggro, easily 20-0'd, including one or two challenges during boss fights. Only reason I missed the last challenge is because the AI let me kill it instead of blocking intelligently, which denied me the ten turns I needed to get to 30 health with my ivory pawn :P

Strong aggressive decks are probably optimal simply for how efficient they are. Harder challenges will fall to combo decks more reliably, since they seem to lack removal in many cases, but I think aggro strategies will take a hit once the AI figures out combat a little better, and also when their equipment starts working.

TL: DR I propose monogreen the minmax dream instead :P

poizonous
02-06-2015, 11:11 PM
I am playing a midrange deck tri sharded WDS and havent lost, wouldnt say aggro is favored but control is very much not favored

Yoss
02-06-2015, 11:21 PM
I think it is WAAAAAAYYYYY too early to be making balance decisions about this. The AI can't even figure out which way to point a gun yet, and beats itself more often than not.

Clawdius
02-06-2015, 11:37 PM
The AI definitely favors attack over defense, even when the defense could save it and the attack will cost it the game. If you have three creatures, a 19/19, a 5/5, and a 5/5, if your creatures are all attacked the enemy will attack with its creatures even though the very next turn it leaves itself open to immediate defeat.

CrystalShard
02-07-2015, 02:18 AM
From what I have experienced so far, I can second that playing aggro is a really quick way through the arena and the AI seems pretty much stumped on what to do. It's also a bit dumb in the way Clawdius described: if you have a big creature waiting to attack and finish the opponent off, when the big one is tapped the AI will swing in gloriously with its 1/1 bunny-or-whatever-murderer, causing me the big loss of one health ... and then the AI will find itself without a blocker against my 19/19. Not so smart.

lite
02-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Quote from the MainPage:
Advanced, cutting edge AI will challenge players of all skill levels while still being accessible. Cryptozoic hired the most experienced TCG AI expert in the world to build this system from the ground-up. In addition to the latest in TCG artificial intelligence, each opposing champion has a personality and approach to the game specific to that champion.

poizonous
02-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Quote from the MainPage:
Advanced, cutting edge AI will challenge players of all skill levels while still being accessible. Cryptozoic hired the most experienced TCG AI expert in the world to build this system from the ground-up. In addition to the latest in TCG artificial intelligence, each opposing champion has a personality and approach to the game specific to that champion.

The AI improvements are not in the test server

BlackRoger
02-07-2015, 11:14 AM
On the original subject, it would make sense that agressive decks will have it easier.
Control decks are usually tuned to have the best answers to the meta
Considering you would need a control deck that is tuned to answer 20+ decks in the arena, its just not as likely that you will always have the right answer.

wolzarg
02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
That is actually a fair point roger but it also shows a big hole in the game a opponent or preferably a boss suited to hose aggro hard.

GhundiPI
02-07-2015, 03:29 PM
As mentioned, the AI is poor at the moment. But I did have a moment where the AI cleared the board with a Heat Wave at the right time (Emberspire Witch champion, and almost lost due to that), or some surprisingly correct plays every once in a while of Stormcall, Time Ripples, Murders and such. So I suspect that the biggest point that we're missing is the control play of the AI, which should make a pure aggro deck less suitable for the Arena. At least if you're going for perfect clears.

CrystalShard
02-07-2015, 03:47 PM
That's well put, sometimes the AI pulls out a surprisingly good move (like stormcalling my entire board just when I was about to swoop in for a killing blow). So ... I have some hopes for it yet ;-)