PDA

View Full Version : Chat suggestion: Do away with the tabs

BlackRoger
02-07-2015, 02:07 AM
I've used to play a DTCG called Kingdoms before, and one of the biggest problems of the game in my opinion was the chat system (which was very similar to Hex's).

This tabbed approach is a problem, because many times there are more then 1 chat that you want to listen to, and this makes you have to keep switching in between chats all the time to make sure you haven't missed anything.
For example, I always want to know whats going on in guild chat, but I usually also want to see what my current opponent is writing, or what's the latest gossip in General.

I think a far better way of doing chat is the way WoW did it, with all the chat being in one window with different colors for different channels (guild chat is green, whispers purple, general is orange-ish etc...)
This way you can filter out what you don't want to listen to and stay with a subset that suits your preferences.

I'm very sorry I haven't brought this up earlier, as clearly alot of work has already been put into chat, but I just had to share my thoughts on the matter.

BenRGamer
02-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Why not keep the tabs, but let you assign whatever chat channels you want to them? So if you want a tab with all the channels on it so you don't have to switch, boom, you got it.

Kurasa
02-07-2015, 08:21 AM
I like the idea of having a customizable tab for following multiple channels at once. There was also a suggestion in the other thread to let us pull out different chats into different areas, which sounded good as well. Either solution (Or both! Everybody gets to chat the way they want to.) would help a lot.

Svenn
02-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Why not keep the tabs, but let you assign whatever chat channels you want to them? So if you want a tab with all the channels on it so you don't have to switch, boom, you got it.

This. Most MMOs let you customize multiple tabs and choose which things go in which tabs. Personally, I usually have a "General" tab that has everything, a tab just for guild chat (and tells, so I don't miss them), a tab just for party chat (and tells), and a tab just for tells. I use the general tab most of the time and then swap to another if I need to read back on something or focus on a specific thing for a while.

Customization is what's important, because the above might work for me but someone else might hate it. I like the new chat (minus the bubbles, please do away with the bubbles!) but I would like for it to get to the point where we can customize it.