PDA

View Full Version : Keep Test Server Up

Shippal
02-07-2015, 06:58 AM
EDIT: Suggestion Retracted

After the feedback on this thread, I agree with what people were saying here. It's a better practice to open the test server for short periods of time, and then reopen it later after doing a bunch of work on it. I still think the experience was great, and that it is very valid to get the community knowledge dump from the test server. Nevertheless, if people just play on the test server, HexEnt doesn't get much continual feedback on the actual, in-place state of the game, and no one actually pays any money for packs and such.

Original Suggestion

It seems to me that there is a lot that the community can contribute to the staff through this Test Server. The community is doing an awesome job providing feedback and discussing the faulty AI.

I think that it would be perfectly valid to leave the Testing Server up for a few more days, just so that we can give a very exhaustive list of all the things we have found faulty in the system.

CrystalShard
02-07-2015, 07:58 AM
I guess there are two sides to this: on the one hand, I'd love to fiddle around longer in the test server. On the other side, HexEnt will have gathered so much data in this span of time that at some point they'll have to say "quit throwing more data at us! let us digest what we have for now!".

So what I guess will happen is: the test server stays up until the (delayed) tournament, then it goes down for two or three weeks, followed by another round of testing.

... which I'm looking forward to. It's actually fun to see the game change & develop - which is not something I've enjoyed on any other game before. I usually lose interest in an unfinished product pretty quickly.

Salverus
02-07-2015, 09:38 AM
if the test server is up the entire time, there is no reason to play the regular game anymore.

hex_colin
02-07-2015, 09:40 AM
if the test server is up the entire time, there is no reason to play the regular game anymore.

Agreed, I'm firmly in the camp of "please limit access to the test server". Live is mostly dead right now - that sucks. :(

YourOpponent
02-07-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking the test server will still go down at the scheduled time. At least a week later they will have another test server weekend up with the scheduled tournament for it. It is counter productive to leave a test server up for a game like this all the time, because then people are just going to play the test server since that doesn't cost anything and they can get as much as they want and do more than they normally can in most cases...meanwhile it causes the regular server (which is where they get their money) to be dead.

Gwaer
02-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I agree with Colin. Open the test server occasionally, keep it closed most of the time. Make improvements while it's down, and then let us rush back in to break it intermittently =)

Stok3d
02-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I agree with Colin / Gwaer. I'm happy to have the little glimpses of Arena / PVE every now and then for testing purposes. Best way to do it imo.

Kurasa
02-07-2015, 10:40 AM
I agree as well. It make the most sense to do things that way.

Kilo24
02-07-2015, 10:55 AM
If you keep the test server up, it stops being a special event. This event is something that lots of people rushed in for, giving some invaluable information on server load. But if it was something that was available indefinitely, it would have had much less of a response and people would be reluctant to tolerate the issues (including the lag caused by the massive server load). It also means that they don't have as firm control of when testing will happen; they could very well have an internal patch that fixes a problem in the live test server not deployed yet, but still have to wade through the bug reports for that problem that they've already solved. And free untrained testers are generally not the most scrupulous about documenting when and where they encountered a bug; a bug report after a new patch might be a bug that was introduced by the patch, one that happened before the patch and was fixed by the patch, one that happened before the patch and is still in the game, or one the developers thought the patch fixed but actually didn't. Determining that for each bug report takes a lot of time, especially when they're not in a standard format and/or require clarification.

Keeping PVE tests short and focused will help a great deal with keeping timing of bugs clear, getting enough players to test at critical periods, and help keep the developers from getting too exhausted.

Kami
02-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Test server should be used sparingly for the public and only when trying to actually detect problems with large loads.

It should not be a replacement for Live server in any sense and should be very limited. Not to mention that the off-times are necessary for them to implement major changes and such.

I also think that account data on the Test server should be reset after the end of each test phase.

Shippal
02-08-2015, 12:05 AM
The comments on this thread are quite valid. I retract my suggestion. I just hope that we get other test server periods in the future.

d00dz
02-08-2015, 01:04 AM
I agree with everyone here. But that does not mean I won't miss the test server :'(

Saeijou
02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
i don't know... i can't really enjoy the testserver, when i know, that i can't keep the stuff i win... :D

so back to the live servers and lets draft and sealed! ;)