PDA

View Full Version : Holiday card ability supposed to survive Princess Cory's special ability transform?

Philomorph
02-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Princess Cory played a Holiday, then next turn used its ability to transform it into a troop costing 1. It retained the transformation ability as expected.

The next turn Cory used his special ability to transform into a random card, and it became a different cost 1 troop. But it still retained the Holiday's transformation ability. Should it have? What if it hadn't turned into a troop. Would it have then retained it?

Xexist
02-07-2015, 09:55 PM
I saw him play the colin card and the inspire effect survived his transformation too.

Axle
02-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Just seems to be the way the game engine works. It's possible that moving the original text of one card when it transforms is considered a modifier that can be reverted rather than being considered the unrevertable original text. This means it follows all the rules of reversion.

When a troop transforms, it keeps all modifiers. Which is why we have things like Master Moss which when inspired by Mirror Knight, then dying, then coming back as Mossling, the Mossling will have the original CMK inspire from Master Moss + a new CMK inspire, for 2 draws total when it dies.

Similar situation for Highland Magus, when it enters play it prints the inspire effect onto itself, so any card it then somehow transforms to would keep that printed on modifier. Play a Highland Magus and then use any revert effect on it to further confirm that the inspire ability it gains is not considered "original text".

Xexist
02-07-2015, 10:21 PM
Just seems to be the way the game engine works. It's possible that moving the original text of one card when it transforms is considered a modifier that can be reverted rather than being considered the unrevertable original text. This means it follows all the rules of reversion.

When a troop transforms, it keeps all modifiers. Which is why we have things like Master Moss which when inspired by Mirror Knight, then dying, then coming back as Mossling, the Mossling will have the original CMK inspire from Master Moss + a new CMK inspire, for 2 draws total when it dies.

Similar situation for Highland Magus, when it enters play it prints the inspire effect onto itself, so any card it then somehow transforms to would keep that printed on modifier. Play a Highland Magus and then use any revert effect on it to further confirm that it's not considered "original text".

I full agree but I have been confused in past when cards were transformed and that wasnt true.

(by that I mean I have had cards transformed and not reverted, but they lost some sort of buff or inspire or something)

ossuary
02-08-2015, 02:26 AM
When a card says "it retains this ability," currently the game engine leaves that on the card even if another card or ability transforms the original card. I couldn't say whether or not that is a bug or intended behavior, but it has been reported to the devs before by me and others, so if it IS bugged, the devs are aware of it and presumably it would get fixed at some point.

From what I have personally seen on live and on test, all cards that say they retain an ability (Holiday, Doppelgadget, etc.) work this way, unless of course they are reverted and transformed, which is a different mechanic functionally from just being transformed.