More arena testing and a free tournament this weekend

http://www.hextcg.com/arena-test-server-its-back/

Rapierian
02-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Do you mean Saturday the 14th?

Shaqattaq
02-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Do you mean Saturday the 14th?

Yup. If you're seeing the 12th, then hard refresh the page and you'll see the correct date.

Scammanator
02-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Well, it looks like my significant other and I finally have a plan for what we're doing together for Valentine's Day. :D

Free Sealed Tournament!

bootlace
02-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Any specific type of testing that will help you guys out? Eg: maybe trying out different equipment, or trying quirky decks and seeing if AI has proper reaction to rarely used cards etc?

katkillad
02-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Do we need to redownload the client or will the previous download work?

kaiizza
02-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Do we need to redownload the client or will the previous download work?

The client will patch when first started so no need to redownload it

Zophie
02-11-2015, 11:48 AM
w000t V-Day is now Draft Day I can't wait to tell my GF!

Lukezors
02-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Having the tournament on valentines really sucks for those of us who plan to spend it with our SO's who arn't into hex.

katkillad
02-11-2015, 12:04 PM
with our SO's who arn't into hex.

Sever

Roy_G
02-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Do I have to redownload or the previous one is fine?

NemesiN
02-11-2015, 12:08 PM
I am excited to get more time with Arena. I am loving how the game is turning out.

What I am not loving is that the free tournament got rescheduled from last week to Valentine's Day. As a married man, I think I speak for most people with wives/girlfriends, that basically means I will no longer be able to participate even though I was really looking forward to a big sealed tourney.

szimek
02-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Kinda bummer with the date, there is a Ruby Cup on the same day :/

I guess there will be a lot of alt+tabing :P

Shaqattaq
02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Any specific type of testing that will help you guys out? Eg: maybe trying out different equipment, or trying quirky decks and seeing if AI has proper reaction to rarely used cards etc?

Testing tournaments would be helpful as we prepare for the Saturday tournament. We don't need a ton running at once. Having an 8-player queues fire off every so often gives our team plenty of information to where they can make improvements and fix bugs. Having those 8-player queues fire off earlier in the testing timeframe than later is better.

AI misses are always a great catch and we have a specific thread for that, and that can be done while testing arena equipment. For PVE, we're going to remove the equipment that has yet to be completed, so outside of a few we may miss or may temporarily lose functionality, the equipment you'll have should work. Any testing of that equipment is great.

Roy_G
02-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Will we be able to open chests and use pve cards?

plaguedealer
02-11-2015, 12:31 PM
I wonder if we will get patch notes, would be interested in seeing the changes

Shaqattaq
02-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Will we be able to open chests and use pve cards?

Chests won't be available, but PVE cards will be.

Nahoj
02-11-2015, 01:21 PM
I am excited to get more time with Arena. I am loving how the game is turning out.

What I am not loving is that the free tournament got rescheduled from last week to Valentine's Day. As a married man, I think I speak for most people with wives/girlfriends, that basically means I will no longer be able to participate even though I was really looking forward to a big sealed tourney.

Yeah, I agree. Having my wife angry with me all weekend because I get a chance for a free tourney seems like a bad trade. So I'm guessing Crypto is run by single guys... lol

Azzer
02-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. Having my wife angry with me all weekend because I get a chance for a free tourney seems like a bad trade. So I'm guessing Crypto is run by single guys... lol

I think most of them are not single... and it's just a day of the year, you can show your life any day that you want to, to your girlfirend or boyfriend,

GaiusMarcus
02-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Not a great way to show support for community run tournaments IMO.

Obliviate
02-11-2015, 01:58 PM
In my humble opinion they chose a horrible day for the reschedule. The fact that it is on a holiday when another large scale tournament (ruby cup) is already taking place is poor planning.

Derion
02-11-2015, 02:06 PM
The download link mentioned keeps getting cut of at 352 mb for me, any thoughts?

Gwaer
02-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Wait, do people really think they should delay an arena launch for a community tournament? They need this testing done, they need this tournament done. You really think they should put it off for a week? I don't. I'll just do both, it's not really that much more difficult to run two tournaments over one, as long as they don't start at exactly the same time, it should even be easy.

Obliviate
02-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Why do you automatically assume it has to be put off a week? If it was on Sunday rather than Saturday it would make it easier for those of us in relationships who won't be able to play on Valentines day.

Gwaer
02-11-2015, 02:32 PM
For the same reasons that you can automatically assume that sunday is a viable alternative to saturday for them, I guess.

Obliviate
02-11-2015, 02:34 PM
For the same reasons that you can automatically assume that sunday is a viable alternative to saturday for them, I guess.

Sorry if it came across as an assumption. It was one example, and certainly not the only option.

Scammanator
02-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Why do you automatically assume it has to be put off a week? If it was on Sunday rather than Saturday it would make it easier for those of us in relationships who won't be able to play on Valentines day.

Their goal with the stress test is to get the largest number of players possible to participate. I'd bet they'd still get more on Saturday than they would on Sunday, despite the holiday and the Cup drawing away players. Even if it is unfair for certain players who would want to help test.

Lukezors
02-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Wait, do people really think they should delay an arena launch for a community tournament? They need this testing done, they need this tournament done. You really think they should put it off for a week? I don't. I'll just do both, it's not really that much more difficult to run two tournaments over one, as long as they don't start at exactly the same time, it should even be easy.

Main thing to note here is that large scale tournaments and arena are not the same thing. They can have the large scale test on Sunday or the next time they open the test server(could even open it just for this tourney!)

I'm obviously biased because I can't participate due to valentines plans, and it won't be the end of the world to me if I have to miss it (can still join early and get 1 pack for entering :P), just trying to point out alternatives.

Shaqattaq
02-11-2015, 02:44 PM
We appreciate that players feel strongly about community-run tournaments and we certainly want to continually support them as we have since HEX Alpha. We could not run the test tournament at its original time last week due to some bugs our engineers found thanks to player testing data. Unfortunately, this is a case where we had to reschedule this tournament on Saturday at that time in order to meet the needs of the team, our own internal schedule, and keep our development on-track. Phenteo has been in contact with the tournament organizer to see what we can do to help the Ruby Cup.

HaemishM
02-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Way to reschedule that tournament to Valentine's Day. Lots of married geeks are going to be getting some shade thrown their way by pissed off spouses.

Zophie
02-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Way to reschedule that tournament to Valentine's Day. Lots of married geeks are going to be getting some shade thrown their way by pissed off spouses.

If you've committed yourself to marriage with someone then I would hope you both love and respect each other enough to work through this difficult time together. Also hopefully your spouse also plays Hex, in which case what better way to spend your Valentines day together than by competing in a free tournament? You can even add a little romance by cooking a nice dinner between rounds, and then whichever one of you wins more points at the end gets first pick on foreplay afterwords!

Yoss
02-11-2015, 04:54 PM
I'd guess most of our significant others are not into gaming, but I guess I can only speak for myself.

Mahes
02-11-2015, 05:21 PM
ROFL at the choice for Valentines day. I take it nobody that works for this company has a date?

"I am sorry Honey, but Hex is more important than you"

On the bright side, you will not have as many players playing I suppose.

Zubrin
02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
The Ruby Cup starts 3 hours before the stress test (http://fiveshards.com/ruby-cup/), the tournaments happen on different servers/clients, and they have different goals. As such, there is little reason why we can't do both and we plan on still having the Ruby Cup. Remember, there is over $1000 in prizes for the Ruby Cup to take home, many of that door prizes, that come from our sole sponsor, Rise of the Dead Prince (http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Dead-Prince-Brian-Hurd-ebook/dp/B00QZ3P5TW). Players can use both clients to play in both (The stress test tournament cares about numbers), and if you can only play in one tournament, then those who are 0-2 or 1-2 can consider dropping from the Ruby Cup to attend the stress test.

I hope we see many more players interested in the ruby cup who are already planning on playing the stress test. Our tournament is free and has one of the largest prize pools for any open tournament offered in Hex thus far.

Drake6k
02-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Is there any way to get these updates via email?

Zophie
02-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Is there any way to get these updates via email?

I use a site called Blogtrottr (https://blogtrottr.com/) for this. Go there and put in your email and HexTCG's RSS feed URL: http://hextcg.com/feed/

They will then send you emails whenever a new post shows up on the main site. Of course you can also take this RSS feed and put in your favorite RSS reader (if you have one). I use Feedly (https://feedly.com/), some others have suggested The Old Reader (https://theoldreader.com/).

Anath
02-11-2015, 08:25 PM
i doubt my computer can handel 2 hex clients open at the same time

Zubrin
02-11-2015, 10:16 PM
i doubt my computer can handel 2 hex clients open at the same time

Hi Anath,

This is certainly true for some players. I suggest starting in the Ruby cup and then making a decision near the end of round 3. If you are doing well in the Ruby Cup, then keep on chugging along. If you are already down a few games, then get in that sealed tournament. This way, you can maximize your EV and maybe even play in both tournaments depending on how your day is going.

poizonous
02-12-2015, 01:39 AM
Still wish that Sunday was an actual option for some of these tournaments, even the test server tournament. Dont know how long it will be before i actually get to play in a major event if they keep starting on saturdays

strawwmann
02-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Luckily for some of us, this tournament IS on Sunday - 6am in the morning, but it will still be Sunday.

I guess that may be one reason that Saturday is better for load testing - it's the weekend across the globe (whereas Sunday midday CA time is Monday morning already elsewhere).

DoctorJoe
02-12-2015, 09:16 AM
My wife re-arranged our schedule last weekend to give me time to play the free tournament. She's a planner like that. There's no way I can ask for that this time around with the weekend she has planned for us. Best of luck to everyone that can participate!

I'm secretly envious of the Hex staff working Saturday. A few times I've been on 1800-0600 shifts on a six-day work week during Valentines Day. When I got my day off, reservations were so much easier to get, the flower selection at the store is better, and heart shaped candy boxes were on sale. Protip though guys and gals; they don't waste any time in ditching the cards, so make sure you get those early.

Deathfog
02-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Its 12:20 central, assumed servers would be up by now, but no love.

Drake6k
02-12-2015, 04:28 PM
I use a site called Blogtrottr (https://blogtrottr.com/) for this. Go there and put in your email and HexTCG's RSS feed URL: http://hextcg.com/feed/

They will then send you emails whenever a new post shows up on the main site. Of course you can also take this RSS feed and put in your favorite RSS reader (if you have one). I use Feedly (https://feedly.com/), some others have suggested The Old Reader (https://theoldreader.com/).
Thanks a bunch, this works!