PDA

View Full Version : Princess Cory has Ingenuity Engines in his deck?

Philomorph
02-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Display Name: Spiderface
Frequency: Once

I'm not sure how, but in my first match against Princess Cory today he played an Ingenuity Engine on turn 3 or 4. I don't mean the plans, but the actual engine.

He then used it and the first card produced was a tectonic megahulk. Yeah, obviously I lost.

I thought you could only get the engine by building it from the plans, which he definitely did not do. Nor did he turn another card into it, since his ability now only allows him to transform opponents' cards.

the_artic_one
02-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Lots of AIs play tokens in their decks, it's intentional.

Philomorph
02-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Ahh, ok. Well if that's the case it should at least be more expensive. A second turn Ingenuity Engine is a game changer no matter what. IMO that's a token that shouldn't be in any decks.

wolzarg
02-13-2015, 05:13 PM
I disagree he is a friking boss and his bossness comes from him doing random whaky stuff that some times is a soft cuddling and other times a brutal savaging.

Zophie
02-13-2015, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less from Princess Cory

Samaron
02-13-2015, 06:26 PM
the most AIs in the Raids are Cheater :P
One from them have 25 vortex in his deck, that is not real but real :P

AstaSyneri
02-13-2015, 07:02 PM
That's what makes the arena so much fun - it totally spins you around and then clobbers you from an unexpected directions. Yes, the Vortex deck is pretty mean, too :D.

WWKnight
02-14-2015, 01:21 AM
I was freaking out when I say this too, but I managed to keep teh game in a stable state (luckily I managed to kill his Kracken with a Survival of the Fittest before it was able to attack).

It wasnt until deep into the game, turn 8 or 9, when he was given plans for the hulk, that I had problems. I swung for a heap of damage, and he declared no blockers, but kept activating the plans over and over and over and over and over. He had nothing to tap to it, but he kept trying. Had to concede :( Was unfortunate because it was the first arena fight I have had where I didnt know who was going to win.

Philomorph
02-15-2015, 08:48 PM
I disagree he is a friking boss and his bossness comes from him doing random whaky stuff that some times is a soft cuddling and other times a brutal savaging.

Relying on extreme wackiness for "boss-ness" is lazy AI programming. I'm not accusing the devs of that, because the AI is still in early stages.

I'd simply expect a boss AI to be able to brutally savage me through "fair play" rather than just gimmicks, which is the sort of thing that results in wildly swinging expectations. I should almost never be able to walk over Cory because his deck is poorly designed, just as he should never walk all over me because he's given a ridiculous advantage. Neither of those things are fun, IMO, and fun is why we play, right?

Having tokens in their deck is fine, in theory. But some tokens, like the IE, take a fair amount of work to get. Having IEs in his deck is no different than having some special "boss only" version of the megahulk that only costs 3 resources to play. It's just giving poor AI an advantage through cheating, really.

nicosharp
02-15-2015, 09:09 PM
Having tokens in their deck is fine, in theory. But some tokens, like the IE, take a fair amount of work to get. Having IEs in his deck is no different than having some special "boss only" version of the megahulk that only costs 3 resources to play. It's just giving poor AI an advantage through cheating, really.
PvE isn't designed to be fair. Especially Arena. Their boss/champ design decisions - which include equipment / charge powers / boss passives, are all designed to make them more challenging. Even with Skynet level AI, they will still design challenges that are unfair in many situations, that you should only be lucky, or have an incredibly tuned deck to beat.

Mr.Funsocks
02-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Also, a "Princess Cory" boss doesn't have to be fair, or anything but lazy. It has to be absurd. It's the CEO of the company in a goddamn dress and tiara.

Malama
02-16-2015, 01:03 AM
Relying on extreme wackiness for "boss-ness" is lazy AI programming. I'm not accusing the devs of that, because the AI is still in early stages.

The point with pve is to play many different kinds of encounters where a lot of things can happen. Of course I want it to be way different from the normal games. If I want a fair fight I go to pvp.

Saeijou
02-17-2015, 03:07 PM
The point with pve is to play many different kinds of encounters where a lot of things can happen. Of course I want it to be way different from the normal games. If I want a fair fight I go to pvp.

Thats the spirit! :)

parogui
02-17-2015, 04:55 PM
That's what makes the game exciting, it can be unpredictable at times. In last VIP tourney I lost a game to a Reese making a Tectonic Hulk when I had fatal on board. I thought that was amazing, it's like making a Royal Flush on poker! And in PvE nothing huge is on stake, you just start over.

BlackRoger
02-22-2015, 06:10 AM
Funny how no one seems to even consider the OP's opinion that a turn 2 enginuity engine is not very fun or fair to play against (Which I would have to agree).
I'm not saying it's wrong for the AI to cheat. I'm just saying the type of cheating still matters.
If the AI cheats by playing a turn 1 20/20 with speed that won't be very fun would it?

I have no problem with AI "cheating", for example the Zoltog encounter is hard but fun, since even though his hero power are bonkers, they are still predictable so you can make preparations for them.
Having a boss with an X percent chance to drop something very unfair you can't prepare against isn't whacky and amazing, its just annoying.
As for Parogui's Reese example, I'm sure it would be far less amazing if his opponent cheated Reese into play on turn 2... like the Princess Cory example.

Honestly, I don't know how strong will players deck be with equipment. Perhaps a turn 2 Enginuity engine is still beatable in PvE (Aside from having Solitary Exile), still don't think it would be very fun though.

Axle
02-22-2015, 10:12 AM
You underestimate the amount of average or garbage artifacts in this game. The chances of him getting something actually game unchangingly unfair in an activation are very slim, and even unlikely over 5 turns.

Gwaer
02-22-2015, 10:23 AM
I think the princess cory encounter is one of the most fun encounters. I've enjoyed it immensely every time I've played it. So it's not so much that I didn't consider his opinion, but that my opinion is the opposite.

BlackRoger
02-22-2015, 03:50 PM
You underestimate the amount of average or garbage artifacts in this game. The chances of him getting something actually game unchangingly unfair in an activation are very slim, and even unlikely over 5 turns.

It doesn't have to be an Eternal Guardian every turn to be meaningful.
Even if it gives you a merely decent robot every other turn, and it will create a decent card advantage for the entirety of the game.
And ofc when it does create a warbot dropship on turn 3-4 it will mostly just end the game.

I don't know, maybe we just need to get to play against it ourselves to see how big it would affect a game.
Or just all run gorefeast to make sure we kill her before her shenanigans get out of control.

silverlocke
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Cory dropped an Ingenuity engine right into 2 Jank Bots by Round 6.

Here is the only 1 SS I have of that happening. Shows 1 Jank Bot on Round 5.

a-V-e-n
02-28-2015, 11:20 AM
I once got wtfpwnt by Cory dropping a 2nd turn Ingenuity Engine and a Tectonic Megahulk from it right away.

Anyway, it's usually not hard to just race his early Ingenuity Engine because AI is playing it wrong - it activates it (and other activated artifacts) in the combat phase *after* the blockers have been declared. He makes nice fat robots but too late to block with them. If he activated it a phase earlier he'd be a much more difficult opponent.

Fred
03-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Although this forum is probably dead, I figured that this would fit in this thread... a Subterranean Spy let me see that Princess Cory had The Triumvirate in his (her?) hand. Luckily, this game-ender costs 9, so hopefully, we'll never get to see it played.

Aradon
03-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I remember spying that one with Inquisition. Got rid of that one early :)

elfstone
03-15-2015, 09:53 PM
I play with Imps in Arena for reasons just like this :p