PDA

View Full Version : Massive Tournaments Question

vickrpg
02-14-2015, 01:29 PM
As I was sitting, staring at the loading bar for hours, then a blue circle for hours, then getting a pop up to join the tournament, which was quickly followed by another blue circle, I came up with an interesting thought...

... Why?

Before you stop reading, this is not a rage post. This is not a troll. This is genuine curiosity.

not, why am I waiting to play the game. I like the game, I like the tournaments. the "Why?" that was bothering me was "Why large scale tournaments?" 447 people got in, didn't play, and countless more were trying to.... Why?

in a 4 round sealed, to get the maximum number of match ups, all you really need is 2^4 players. 16. If we also want to eliminate the variance caused by byes and disconnects, 32 players is sufficient, if not overkill as it allows for a full bracket with a 50% DC rate. heck let's go with 64 just to be safe.

We've had 128 tournaments working for a while.. and 8s. When they are full, another one fires. If we can already do two and half 128s at a time(I think I saw this during VIP once. I've definitely seen 1 and half but I may be wrong), What is the need for a single sync 400+ player tournament? Where is the benefit vs multiple tourneys?

If this stress testing is for league purposes, then why have it on the smaller, less poweful test server? IS the test server less powerful? Is this for stress testing?

And most importantly, I'm done with the test server for a while. Anyone for comp draft?

Yoss
02-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Why?

Pro Player Tournament

Halsey
02-14-2015, 01:39 PM
For a four round tournament, I agree, no point. I believe they are testing the system so they can hold longer tournaments, with hundreds to thousands of players, and enough rounds for a first place, or at least top 8/10 with much larger prizes.

Huge tournaments with bragging rights and large prizes would be a huge draw for a lot of players. Personally, I like the 4 rounds format time wise, but understand why they want the ability to run massive tournaments.

I think they stick with 4 rounds for testing because it probably draws a bigger crowd than telling people they need to play for 10-12 hours, and the important info at the moment, is being gathered when people join and the tournament launches, this is where the problems are for now. No need to worry about problems that might crop up 8 rounds in until they can get the system to smoothly launch with enough players to get to 8 rounds.

vickrpg
02-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Why?

Pro Player Tournament
Not seeing the difference between VIP and pro-player? if there's too many just start another one? if 4x 128 is easier to do than 1x 400+ why do 1x 400+?

For a four round tournament, I agree, no point. I believe they are testing the system so they can hold longer tournaments, with hundreds to thousands of players, and enough rounds for a first place, or at least top 8/10 with much larger prizes.

Huge tournaments with bragging rights and large prizes would be a huge draw for a lot of players. Personally, I like the 4 rounds format time wise, but understand why they want the ability to run massive tournaments.

I think they stick with 4 rounds for testing because it probably draws a bigger crowd than telling people they need to play for 10-12 hours, and the important info at the moment, is being gathered when people join and the tournament launches, this is where the problems are for now. No need to worry about problems that might crop up 8 rounds in until they can get the system to smoothly launch with enough players to get to 8 rounds.
in sync mode? at once? with all players online at the same time? It's already quite a bit to ask of people to sit for 4+ hours on a videogame, are there really plans for more?

Kami
02-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Not seeing the difference between VIP and pro-player? if there's too many just start another one? if 4x 128 is easier to do than 1x 400+ why do 1x 400+?
Because there is only supposed to be one winner for the Pro Player Tournament and the prize is 4 of every non-exclusive PvP card at release. Besides, there are other benefits to being able to host huge tournaments.

It's already quite a bit to ask of people to sit for 4+ hours on a videogame, are there really plans for more?

It's up to the players whether they wish to sit around for that long. Real life obligations come first and it seems a lot of people fail to realize that.

EntropyBall
02-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Because there is only supposed to be one winner for the Pro Player Tournament and the prize is 4 of every non-exclusive PvP card at release. Besides, there are other benefits to being able to host huge tournaments.
They've said in the past that they may hold multiple PP tournaments though, since the demand was so high.

Kami
02-14-2015, 01:50 PM
They've said in the past that they may hold multiple PP tournaments though, since the demand was so high.

That's also because they couldn't host a large scale tournament yet. :)

If they manage to get the large scale tournaments working, I don't think that'll be an issue anymore.

Then again, they could be doing it for the time zones too. I don't know. ^^;

vickrpg
02-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Besides, there are other benefits to being able to host huge tournaments.
I don't see what these are, hence my asking.

Kami
02-14-2015, 01:51 PM
I don't see what these are, hence my asking.

For example, pre-release events. Or a server-wide tournament to find out who's the best of the best maybe?

I don't know. Use your imagination, heh. :)

vickrpg
02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
"Best of" format I suppose could be one of the possible scenarios, but I really do not see a 7 round(256) sync tourney being feasible, time-wise, and it would be much easier to have multiple instances of qualifier tourneys and have the winners get prize tickets. Or just have the winners get an auto invite to another tourney that fires immediately after.

to clarify, I see the benefit of many people playing. I don't see the point of them all playing in the same pool, since most will not be able to play against each other, or interact in any way. Even the 128 mans I think are a bit overkill, where several 64mans would be functionally the same.

Halsey
02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
"Best of" format I suppose could be one of the possible scenarios, but I really do not see a 7 round(256) sync tourney being feasible, time-wise,

You may not, and I wouldn't but plenty of people will, and pay a premium for the experience. I haven't been keeping up with it closely these days, but I know MTGO still runs 7 round events, and they used to quite often fill up with more people complaining that they didn't get in, and that there should be more of them available. You might be surprised what people will do time wise.

Compare it to offline where TCGs regularly have tournament spanning multiple days with a day possibly running 10-12 hours, and being at home where you can eat while you play, easily get up for a minute if you need to, etc starts to sound downright convenient.