PDA

View Full Version : Ruling On Ties

Chaz1672002
02-23-2015, 06:32 AM
I was playing a 3 man game of Forever Evil and an opponent and myself both tied for the highest score with 53 points. We each had 5 superheroes/supervillians in our deck. The rulebook doesn't mention a third tiebreaker, is there one?

Thanks!

BenJazz
02-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Interesting scenario... I don't know what the next tie-breaker would be if there is one.

midnight_rider
02-23-2015, 07:22 AM
If you want, you could house rule most victory point tokens as the next tie breaker.

I just played a great game of Forever Evil this weekend that ended in a tie. I played Sinestro vs my opponent's Black Adam. It was a great back and forth game and we didn't even consider any tie breakers.

MStreva89
02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Among my friends and in our local tournaments we run with these rules for the tournament as far as tie-breakers which has never let us down thus far.

• In the event of a tie in Victory Points, the winner is determined by the player who fulfills the following tie-breakers:
o TB1 – Most Nemesis cards in final deck.
o TB2 – Most cards in final deck.
o TB3 – Most Weakness cards in final deck.
o TB4 – Most Victory Point value of Nemesis cards in final deck.

With this system, we use the standard rule of DC DBG which is if score is tied, player with the most Super-Villain/Hero cards wins, but then if those are tied we start using things that make it better to gauge who had it harder.

TB2 goes off of most cards in deck, clearly that player had it harder as his combos were more spread out and harder to pull off, also he may have Weaknesses, Starters, or other non-power cards clogging his deck, yet he still won. This also pertains to cards like Deathstorm, Phantom Stranger, Saint Walker, Sciencell, Utility Belt, and Green Arrow, who give high VP for low amount of cards, so this tie-breaker benefits those players without those power VP cards.

TB3 gives a clear advantage to the player who has suffered the most (unless you've got Bizarro (Villain) from Classic), so it gives them a fighting edge for having survived the onslaught on dead hands from Weaknesses.

TB4 is pretty much impossible to match (I suppose there's an extremely low percentage of it happening after TB1-3 have been equal), so the winner becomes the player who defeated the higher VP count Super-Villains/Heroes.

aoineko
02-23-2015, 11:21 AM
I was playing a 3 man game of Forever Evil and an opponent and myself both tied for the highest score with 53 points. We each had 5 superheroes/supervillians in our deck. The rulebook doesn't mention a third tiebreaker, is there one?

Thanks!

Well, that's odd. We've always tested this game with "Most cards in deck" as the second tie-breaker after most Super-Villains. I'm surprised to see that this rule has actually never made it into the rulebook.

BenJazz
02-23-2015, 12:09 PM
TB2 goes off of most cards in deck, clearly that player had it harder as his combos were more spread out and harder to pull off, also he may have Weaknesses, Starters, or other non-power cards clogging his deck, yet he still won. This also pertains to cards like Deathstorm, Phantom Stranger, Saint Walker, Sciencell, Utility Belt, and Green Arrow, who give high VP for low amount of cards, so this tie-breaker benefits those players without those power VP cards.

I don't know about this one. There is too much play-style variation to say someone has it hard or easier based on the number of cards. Lots of combos work great from having lots of cards. Take Man of Steel for instance. Use him with some Bat Signal's and you can take out Super- cards quicker and clear the Line-Up to gain more cards. I think if you eliminated TB2 and went straight to TB3 that might be more reasonable. You could also make an alteration where TB2 is most starter cards still left in deck instead.

MStreva89
02-23-2015, 12:52 PM
BenJazz, I get what you're saying, but still think about it in terms of struggling thru those waves of Super Powers to get to the Man of Steel, hoping he isn't in the first few cards after a shuffle or hoping to get a Bat Signal and/Robin to loop him at the right time. Fact of the matter is if a player has 100 VP with a 70 card deck compared to the guy with 100 VP with a 50 card deck at the end of the game, who had it easier? Clearly the guy who didn't have to buy as much or do as much.

Now this ruling really is hard to work with in Forever Evil, because of the ability to gain VPs and keep a lower deck count, but still if you have a thinner deck and you're constantly looping the cards you want to every turn or every other turn, you've got an advantage over your opponent overall.

Just yesterday I played a match as Bizarro + Aquaman Crisis vs Black Adam + Sinestro. First 10 turns was me constantly losing to his early Broadsword and Constructs of Fear, but eventually I thinned out my deck and forced a ton of Weaknesses into his (he ended the game with 12 in deck, none in stack). Now I sat with a 22 card deck consisting of 2x Man-Bat, 2x Stargirl, 2x Royal Flush Gang, 1x Commissioner Gordon, 1x Cosmic Staff and I just continually looped my Defenses while buying cards and using Steel or Atomica to destroy them and keep my deck thin and VP high. I beat him out by 20 VP because he just couldn't keep up, but had we gone to TB2, I would've lost since I had a clear advantage of having a thinner deck and looping the cards that were strong and kept me going.

BenJazz
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
I can see your point now. When I was first going through my thought was "Player with the least cards is getting hurt for it" compared to "person with the most cards had harder time/was able to buy more later". In that case, 2 would be fine to use as the next tiebreaker.

MStreva89
02-24-2015, 06:45 AM
Yeah, it's punishing for the player who has had it easier more or less. I mean to be honest, if you're getting a tie with a Sciencell or Saint Walker, you probably deserve that loss lol.

destroth
02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Sciencell and saint walker should be removed lololol ... It's almost who got it wins the game... Mostly not always :p

TanisFrey
03-13-2015, 06:08 PM
There is another deck builder where the tie breaker is who had the most turns loses.

Example: there are 3 players, A, B and C. They randomly draw cards to determine the starter and then play. player B starts. Player C ends the game by taking the last Supervillain. Players A and B have the most VP after counting up and are tied. They each have the same number of Supervillain cards. Because player B started the game, He had one more turn than A. Player A wins.

Arrojacast
04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Larfleeze. That's all.