PDA

View Full Version : Hi Devs, hope you guys can implement spectator mode!

EbwinLeon
02-28-2015, 11:12 PM
It would make the game so much more fun, and also to deter peeps from cheating with a ref watching the game! :D
Hopefully it can be done in the future

ossuary
03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Hey EbwinLeon,

Just to let you know, this is indeed a planned feature for the future. We don't have details on exactly what it will look like or anything like that, but we know for sure the devs want to include some kind of spectator mode directly in the game client.

Gwaer
03-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Suggestion for the spectator mode, cards are hidden by default, but client keeps track of cards your opponent has seen and knows about, and makes those cards visible to spectators while the unknown cards stay hidden. So if someone plays an early inquisition you see their hand, but as they draw more cards those remain covered.

ossuary
03-02-2015, 07:23 AM
Suggestion for the spectator mode, cards are hidden by default, but client keeps track of cards your opponent has seen and knows about, and makes those cards visible to spectators while the unknown cards stay hidden. So if someone plays an early inquisition you see their hand, but as they draw more cards those remain covered.

Yeah, that's how I was picturing it too. Spectator's get the "fog of war" last known view, so they (and any broadcaster / commentator) can use that information to talk about possibilities as the match continues.

nicosharp
03-02-2015, 11:38 AM

That would be nice. This feature will be a huge step forward for this game for visibility, increased external community interest, broadcasting opportunities, and to establish itself as an e-sport.

Zophie
03-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Would have to keep in mind also situations where unknown changes are made to the hand. Like after revealing a hand full of tunnelers, as soon as a tunneling troop is played from the hand we don't know which card was actually tunneled so the whole hand would need to be hidden again. (I still like the idea though)

Gwaer
03-02-2015, 05:59 PM
I disagree from a spectating point of view. The point is that a card has been visible to his opponent, so he can be taking that into consideration. But from a making certain someone isn't watching his opponent on a second account, I can see why you'd want that. Probably should be other checks for that, to try to keep people from spectating their opponents.

Zophie
03-02-2015, 06:39 PM
I disagree from a spectating point of view. The point is that a card has been visible to his opponent, so he can be taking that into consideration. But from a making certain someone isn't watching his opponent on a second account, I can see why you'd want that. Probably should be other checks for that, to try to keep people from spectating their opponents.

Oh no I was just expanding on your idea of having cards hidden until revealed, for spectating or whatever, it should take into consideration events that come up that cause the "knowledge" of the cards to go into question, such as multiple tunnelers. I agree though with having checks for different spectator options. There could be a "Pure Spectator" mode that would only show information available to a third party observer on the sidelines, and there could be a more "Open Spectator" mode that reveals everything in your hand as well as knowledge of the opponent's cards where applicable. And then maybe some additional options for "guesses" where knowledge is limited... like maybe a card list on the side that generates as cards are revealed, so spectators can look through all the cards that show up in each players deck, but they may not know if the opponent currently has those cards or not. Being a DTCG there's definitely room for a lot of neat options here.