PDA

View Full Version : Sly Huntress Equipment too good?

Axle
03-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Forest Stalker Gloves
"Your Sly Huntresses have "Then create a Fox Pet for each Ruby Threshold you have, they get "At the end of the turn, sacrifice this"

http://i.imgur.com/msYFbd5.png

You get one 1/2 Fox w/ Speed on play, then 1 per Ruby threshold. Combine it with Ruby Pyromancer and you're dishing out 10 speed damage on turn 4 in a mono ruby deck, 15 if you use the Giles champion on the Fox pets (3 each). Yea, it's that good where you would waste your champion for the 5 or more extra damage. Combine it with the 3 drop Pyromancer and Giles, then you're dishing out 20 damage from just one card(4 each). Giles+Jags would do 20 too. It's not a "2 card combo" since it's already strong by itself and so many cards enable it. And no card advantage is lost due to inspire. Another lack of flaws with the equipment is that unlike Royal Falconer, the pets aren't connected to the master in any way either, and are each a separate entity.

Then there's combining it with Mirror Knight. While when it's dual shard, it's only going to be on average creating 3 Fox pets.. if you create it on turn 4, that still reads "Draw 3 cards" when they sacrifice themselves and you keep the Sly Huntress.

It does seem like the strongest equipment visible in the current test build to me. Yeah it's a little early to be calling something "OP!!!!" but it's a PVE card so I doubt it's going to create incredibly heated debates like PVP cards of past and we are testers.

PVE cards are supposed to make your decks better sure, but this equipment just seems insane to me. I made a simple mono ruby deck built around being able to enable her full potential, and I blitzed through the arena undefeated, always winning on turn 4 or whenever I drew the Sly Huntress.

A good solution if there is a problem, seems to be limiting the number of Foxes created, as to 1 per 2 threshold, rather than per 1. It's still a very strong card with that thanks to inspire. Other methods would be making the pets depend more on the master, or changing the fox to 2 cost via the equipment.

Taqo
03-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Was kinda sceptical to this combo/equip at first, after some testing I would say its pretty strong yea.
Not sure if too strong though, seing as turn 4 is still pretty late and the opponent might have a few blockers by that time, and inspire troops is mostly not very good blockers, so up against aggro it sounds like there could be some problems.

I think a far deadlier and faster combo in pve is Brutal commander (with both equips) that puts out a Xocoy High Cleric on turn 3, a troop that works kinda like a gore feast and lets the troops attack a 2nd time. On turn 3, and all you really need to make this happend is a Brutal commander and the champion power Lionel Flynn.

Something also to consider when thinking something is op is that the AI in the arena is still in development and will most likely get much stronger.

ossuary
03-06-2015, 08:44 AM
The difference with that is Brutal Commander is random, whereas the Fox Pet thing is basically a guaranteed 4 troops attacking on turn 4 in a mono deck, with any inspires you managed to slap on them. Even Xocoy just lets you have one extra troop attack, one time, and he still has to hit to trigger that (and the Brutal Commander has to hit to let you search for Xocoy, and you have to already have Flynn's power to buff up Commander, which means you can't even START that combo until turn 4 or 5, +1 turn to get Xocoy actually on the board). So that's a turn 5 combo at the earliest, assuming you can hit with everything, whereas Sly Huntress just swings big on turn 4 every time.

It's a very good piece of equipment. I don't know about TOO good, we'll have to see what the arena looks like in the final version.

Taqo
03-06-2015, 09:44 AM
The difference with that is Brutal Commander is random, whereas the Fox Pet thing is basically a guaranteed 4 troops attacking on turn 4 in a mono deck, with any inspires you managed to slap on them. Even Xocoy just lets you have one extra troop attack, one time, and he still has to hit to trigger that (and the Brutal Commander has to hit to let you search for Xocoy, and you have to already have Flynn's power to buff up Commander, which means you can't even START that combo until turn 4 or 5, +1 turn to get Xocoy actually on the board). So that's a turn 5 combo at the earliest, assuming you can hit with everything, whereas Sly Huntress just swings big on turn 4 every time.

Well it's not impossible for it to be a turn 3 combo, 4-5 is more likely though, but it's still possible. Crackling vortex/ crackling bolt/ lightning elemental is some ways of getting shards early on.

With 1 crackling vortex casted on one of the 3 turns, and 1 crackling bolt casted on the 2nd turn = 5 shards on turn 3.

This is the equips for the Brutal Commander:

-Speed
-When this deals damage to an opposing champion search your
deck for an orc with cost equal to or less
then the damage dealt and PUT IT INTO PLAY

These are the gems one would put on Xocoy:
-Cant be blocked except by artifact troops or troops that share a color with it
-When this enter play it deals damage equal to it's power to target opposing champion

But yea Brutal Commander still has to connect with his damage for this combo to start, crushing blow or a stink troll could help with that if there are blockers.

But once he connects with his damage with 5 in power he can put a high cleric onto the battlefield the same turn, Xocoy then deals damage onto the opposing champion when it enters play which triggers him to add a 2nd combat phase.

nicosharp
03-06-2015, 10:24 AM
So, just a silly thought,
Crimson Clarity + Scraptech Brawler with 1 cost burrow on turn 1 = Sly Huntress + 6 pets + Gore Feast on turn 4.
I'm not in the client now, so am not sure if the Brawler equipment slot and the sly huntress equipment slot are the same?

I did not know about the Sly Huntress Equip before this post. That is pretty bonkers.

Mokog
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
luckily the AI can not have its feelings hurt when you grind it into shard dust.

BlackRoger
03-08-2015, 04:13 AM
The brutal commander isn't the only card that can burst the AI, there is also of course goremaster + hero power: (+3/+0) + crackling sprout, and ofc gorefeast + any tempo.

Considering the current design, and the fact we probably haven't broken even half the PvE equipment yet, I'm not sure it can be helped that the PvE decks will be really fast.
Hopefully the dungeon/raids will try and offset that a little by giving the AI higher life total or some life gain, and some powerfull effects of their own.
Because even if you nerf the current equipments, the ammount of broken combos in PvE is only going to increase over time.

Taqo
03-08-2015, 08:06 AM
I don't really think there will be any "broken combos", and even if we do notice there are the devs can easily balance that by just make the Ai known of this combo and how to stop it or in worse case scenario change it/ban. Everything can be balanced, and Im sure it will be over time. I would say hex feels very balanced in pvp so I see no reason for it not to be that in pve also. Im pretty sure these bosses in the arena will never be as hard as the bosses in the dungeons, thats atleast the feeling I have gotten.

Arynt
03-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Seems strong against an arena opponent, but against a boss whose hp could be hundreds/thousands of hp, it probably won't be as strong as you think. I think I saw somewhere that the Kraken spoiler had 888 hp or 8 8/8 tentacles that you had to go through (might be wrong, its been a while). If this is true, I doubt 20 damage or against the kraken or 1 of its tentacles is gonna care so much for something that will be sacrificed after a turn. Also who knows? Maybe some of the bosses don't even have hp or have other wierd things you have to do to kill them that make this equipment/card combo seem underpowered? We don't know yet.

For the arena though, it definitely feels like a solid combo if you can pull it off. Who knows how easy it is to get the cards or even if this pve card/equipment even comes from the arena? If its as good as you think it is, it may be the legendary for completing a hard dungeon and its never going to see much play because of how rare it is. The arena is going to have a lot of fun equipments/cards, but I'm not positive it will have most of the equipments we saw in the test server, and whose to say all the equipment we saw will even make it into the final version of live? There's just so many unknowns!

Good luck getting 4 copies and the equipment!

Axle
03-08-2015, 10:49 AM
1. You don't need 4 copies of equipment...just 1. And I did get it off the arena loot table, since they gave you nothing to start with. You've never played on the test server? Sly Huntress is a common, the equipment is uncommon. Legendary equipment is much worse than this. I've looked at all the equipment from the first release and while some are really good, the only one that is at the same level as this is the Benjamin equipment that lets you discard any number of cards in your hand for equal draws.

2. Kraken is a multi stage boss that you keep encountering throughout the entire dungeon, over and over again. Not every boss will be like this, and if it is, you will know before you enter with your deck. Obviously you only would take it for the normal encounters.

3. Yes. I can pull it off easily. I've blitzed through Arena in an hour 3 times with this already. Not drawing Sly Huntress every time, but when I do..I win that turn with overkill (even 1turn killing bosses) and otherwise aggro is already ridiculously strong against the arena opponents. 4 Ruby Pyromancer, 4 Elite Pyromancer, 3 Jags the Blademaster, 4 Sly Huntress, 4 Royal Falconer, Burns/Bolts/Ragefires, etc. I will draw what I need. Also I was playing 4 Psychotic Anarchist to soften the opponent and dig further, not really caring what they draw since the AI in general has weaker cards and a lack of removal.

One of the main draws of this is that the deck is still very successful as all commons, and even entry level players can use it to make arena pretty trivial. So that's one bonus it has over the also successful against Arena Gorefeast combos which needs rare cards.

4. The biggest thing about Sly Huntress is it is 20 damage off 1 card, and you lose NO card advantage. You play a troop which generates the 20+ damage from 5+ foxes and then when it all ends you keep the troop that created them. There isn't really playing around it unless the AI is packing ways to end the attack (only storm cloud does this, and honestly it's not that big a deal since it is not a -1 play). The longer the game goes, the more foxes you create and the more powerful the card is.

Xavon
03-08-2015, 08:42 PM
And yet they nerfed the Mirror Blade into useless...

RobHaven
03-09-2015, 09:46 AM
What did it used to do? I forget.

Gwaer
03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
What is it now? Used to it gave up to 3 copies in your deck the gambit power.

RobHaven
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
According to Hex TCG Browser, the equipment Sleight of Hands are gloves that do exactly that. The Mirrorblade is a weapon that makes Rep Gambit into a quick action.

edit: I just looked at the old Kickstarter page. The equipment is still exactly the same, except the two powers are switched.

Xavon
03-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Except if you look at The Mirror Blade on the test server (Sleight of Hands aren't even in there), it says you can target up to six troops you control. So you can strip your field for a better chance to get one of them back.

When Arena first game out, it was shuffle it into your deck, and then each turn it moves up two spaces towards the top of your deck. But that didn't work (and I'm guessing fixing the code was too hard) so they moved to the current version. I'd still rather have the original version or even a slightly toned down version like two or even only one extra of that troop getting the effect.

ossuary
03-09-2015, 07:07 PM
The original version of the equipment that was spoiled during the KS was just that, up to 3 extra copies in your deck get the same effect (as though you had targeted them with the gambit). I'm betting it was taking too long to try to build the code to process / check for the cards (making it ALL copies of the troop would be trivial, but would also make things like ancestors' chosen and scheme WAY too good)... so rather than continuing to mess with it, they changed the effect to something similar, but much easier to implement (multi-targeting code already exists).

Xavon
03-10-2015, 08:46 PM
There are a other cards and effects that do something similar to the Mirrorblade's original effect; the Living Totem's equip that makes one buff all springs to mind. Or all the Darkspire troops.

And searching the deck shouldn't even be necessary, the primary deck list should be in a sorted, indexed list, for just such events.

Maybe this should go in a different thread and there I/we can ask for clarification.

Salverus
03-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the tip to use this card in the arena deck. It works well.
http://i.imgur.com/cFVrYDc.jpg

nicosharp
03-13-2015, 11:39 AM
that poor storm cloud. I really wish I took a screenshot of my turn 5 win against a boss last night...