PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Arena Opens March 10th

Shaqattaq
03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Arena Hype!

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-arena-opens-march-10th/

katkillad
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
So do we get opening of chests and PVE kickstarter rewards? Arena hype!

hammer
03-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Excellent news great job team hex

MatWith1T
03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
All the hype!!

Now we can start harassing you about 'when do we get chest opening?!' :p

Thanks for the update Hex Team - can't wait for the 10th!

jrj8541
03-06-2015, 11:22 AM

Pretty much this.

Zophie
03-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Arena Hype!!!!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/wTuPMag.gif

Miwa
03-06-2015, 11:28 AM

No mention of it, so I'm scared...

Shaqattaq
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM

We will cover those topics on Tuesday.

MatWith1T
03-06-2015, 11:31 AM
No mention of it, so I'm scared...

They already said elsewhere it's coming in a separate future patch - no need to be scared, the bad news has already been announced.

jrj8541
03-06-2015, 11:33 AM
They actually said it was coming in another "update" which many thought to mean another weekly update announcement not a game patch. There is legitimate room for this question and confusion.

Miwa
03-06-2015, 11:37 AM
Well, since they aren't going to talk about it until Tuesday, it's certainly not in the patch for Monday.

*Edit*

er, doh, patch on Tuesday. Though if we were getting more toys, they'd be announcing it now.

jrj8541
03-06-2015, 11:39 AM
March 10 is Tuesday

chromus
03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Great news! Earlier than we all thought! :D

Rycajo
03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Even if chests were ready to be opened Tuesday, I wouldn't blame them for holding it back a couple of days to make sure the Arena is running properly on the live server before subjecting the system to thousands upon thousands of chests being opened.

Hopefully more news on Tuesday simply means chests will be coming within a short time period for system stabilization.

Roy_G
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Arena hype!

Edswor
03-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Its so close, still so far ...

nicosharp
03-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Woot!

spankydonkey
03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Very please to hear this news, well done for sorting out the AI in double quick time.

DocX
03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
We will cover those topics on Tuesday.

Respectfully, if chests and PVE kickstarter rewards are *not* going to be available with the patch, I would suggest getting out in front of this before Tuesday and set expectations appropriately.

If chests and PVE kickstarter rewards *are* going to be available on Tuesday, then feel free to wait. As Ivanova's grandfather used to say, "Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave."

malloc31
03-06-2015, 12:43 PM
I want to see chests as much as any one, but I for one am very glad they are not delaying arena to wait for chests.

Can't wait to play arena on live!

israel.kendall
03-06-2015, 01:18 PM
I thought chest opening was already in from way back in the first arena stream.

nicosharp
03-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I thought chest opening was already in from way back in the first arena stream.
They will surprise us with whether or not they re-enabled it on Tuesday, I guess??

Mejis
03-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Very please to hear this news, well done for sorting out the AI in double quick time.

So is the AI all sorted and strong?
I've held back from the test server so I don't spoil the experience too much.

GhundiPI
03-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Ah, so we'll get the real Arena stress test coming tuesday, good news! :D

Aradon
03-06-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm guessing they want to put more things in chests than are currently in the scope of the game (drops from dungeons, crafting materials, etc) and so they're delaying chests until more of the intended features are complete.

It, like double-backs, would be relegated to a distant 'eventually'.

Drake6k
03-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I only played on the test server during the first test. Has it improved? How bad was the AI in later tests?

Edit: I'm a Rigid Buffalo

Rycajo
03-06-2015, 03:13 PM
I only played on the test server during the first test. Has it improved? How bad was the AI in later tests?

Edit: I'm a Rigid Buffalo

AI has improved. Occasionally I am impressed with the proper use of combat tricks and other actions. The AI is still easy to game in some ways (order of assigning blockers immediately comes to mind) - but perhaps that has been fixed now as well.

Lafoote
03-06-2015, 03:24 PM
The whole value in getting random equipment as a DC backer is getting a leg up. If we're not getting it Tuesday, covering the topic will not be very reassuring.

Yoss
03-06-2015, 03:37 PM
The whole value in getting random equipment as a DC backer is getting a leg up. If we're not getting it Tuesday, covering the topic will not be very reassuring.

Getting the DC equipment from a tiny pool of pieces that will be in Arena would be a bummer. I was expecting the DC loot table for the 20 pieces to at least cover all of Set 1 equipment.

Lafoote
03-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Getting the DC equipment from a tiny pool of pieces that will be in Arena would be a bummer. I was expecting the DC loot table for the 20 pieces to at least cover all of Set 1 equipment.
Is it that small? Perhaps I overestimated their progress.

israel.kendall
03-06-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing they want to put more things in chests than are currently in the scope of the game (drops from dungeons, crafting materials, etc) and so they're delaying chests until more of the intended features are complete.

It, like double-backs, would be relegated to a distant 'eventually'.

I am not sure what you mean here, last I heard double backs are targeted for the first half of 2015. And I imagine they would just give us crafting materials in the chests even though they don't work yet, just like they did with spinning chests and equipments.

Aradon
03-06-2015, 04:13 PM
I am not sure what you mean here, last I heard double backs are targeted for the first half of 2015. And I imagine they would just give us crafting materials in the chests even though they don't work yet, just like they did with spinning chests and equipments.

I mean I highly doubt we'll get doublebacks in the first half of 2015. And I don't think the equipment being handed out in chests is an appropriate comparison. They knew that at minimum, those PvE cards would get equipment. We didn't know for a long time what those pieces of equipment did, because they hadn't made them yet. However, they don't have a full list of rewards for chest drops yet at this point either. Exactly what cards will have 1/2/3 pieces of equipment? How exactly is the crafting system supposed to work? How many base components are supposed to drop from chests? Are chests supposed to contain cards from dungeons? How many dungeons is the cut off? What cards come from those dungeons? We need numbers and names at the bare minimum, and we just don't have all that work done yet. Placeholders are insufficient at this point, because chests draw from a vast supply of eventual content that is still in development.

Yoss
03-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Is it that small? Perhaps I overestimated their progress.

I thought they announced ~200 pieces of equipment, which is rather small compared to the number of slots that need filling. I am not at all sure of that number, though.

WolfCrypt
03-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Bah all this stuff minor detail to me only concern is PVE :3

RobHaven
03-06-2015, 04:44 PM
I thought they announced ~200 pieces of equipment, which is rather small compared to the number of slots that need filling. I am not at all sure of that number, though.

Taken from the Feb 27 update:

The HEX Frost Ring Arena will launch in March! The arena is a four-stage gauntlet where you are pitted against the computer with a line-up of over 30 different opponents and 7 different bosses to battle again and again. You will earn gold, equipment, and exclusive PVE reward cards that you can use to upgrade your decks. Or head to the auction house to buy and sell your new gear. With nearly 200 unique rewards to collect and a variety of opponent strategies, passive skills, and champion equipment, each campaign through the arena will be different and require unique tactics!

It should also be noted that it just says "awards" and not "equipment," so the amount of equipment available is likely to be even smaller.

Yoss
03-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for that, Rob. So, yeah, I'd hate to get my 1-time DC drops from that tiny pool. It also stinks to wait, because then when the drops finally do come, it will be stuff I already have. Perhaps they could split it out and do 5 pieces with each new content release until we've gotten 20 pieces, doubt they'll go to the trouble though.

Lafoote
03-06-2015, 05:09 PM

It should also be noted that it just says "awards" and not "equipment," so the amount of equipment available is likely to be even smaller.

Indeed! Hopefully as new sets launch, and perhaps at other intervals, new rewards are added.

Mahes
03-06-2015, 07:58 PM
So no chests with this run. Bummer. I guess I get to keep my sig for a while longer.

elfstone
03-06-2015, 09:07 PM
861 chests and counting :). who knows, mebbe I can hit 1k before chests can be opened :)

It works out for me either way, I either spend days grinding gold to spin my legendary chests, or I spend a day opening chests :).

Boreaquis
03-07-2015, 07:13 AM

Correct. There's roughly 20 cards and 180 pieces of equipment, according to the arena livestream with Cory (which had specific numbers, but I can't be bothered to check the VODs).

EDIT: Unless I miscounted, there's currently 169 different equipment pieces available on the test server. Wouldn't be surprised if those are all we get. Hopefully they'll add more soon.

israel.kendall
03-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I mean I highly doubt we'll get doublebacks in the first half of 2015. And I don't think the equipment being handed out in chests is an appropriate comparison. They knew that at minimum, those PvE cards would get equipment. We didn't know for a long time what those pieces of equipment did, because they hadn't made them yet. However, they don't have a full list of rewards for chest drops yet at this point either. Exactly what cards will have 1/2/3 pieces of equipment? How exactly is the crafting system supposed to work? How many base components are supposed to drop from chests? Are chests supposed to contain cards from dungeons? How many dungeons is the cut off? What cards come from those dungeons? We need numbers and names at the bare minimum, and we just don't have all that work done yet. Placeholders are insufficient at this point, because chests draw from a vast supply of eventual content that is still in development.

When Cory said double backs were coming first half of 2015, he also said that implementing them was "not even really a challenge". So I remain optimistic that we will be seeing them soon. It is not like they stopped working on everything else while they were finishing up arena.

I feel like placeholders could work fine with crafting materials. I think they have more of the crafting system planned and fleshed out than you think.

*Edit- also it seems like you think there is very little progress being done in other areas of the game. I think in general they are much further along in planning things than many give them credit for. Last I heard they were actually already designing cards for set 5(!) and doing the coding for set 3. I would be flabbergasted if most of the "unknowns" you listed are actually still unknown to the developers.

Aradon
03-07-2015, 10:23 PM
You may be right, but I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt on progress for quite a while, and it's not really been justified. My personal expectations have been tempered by past experience at this point.

Well worth the wait, mind you, just never near their timeline predictions.

Lafoote
03-08-2015, 03:42 AM
When Cory said double backs were coming first half of 2015, he also said that implementing them was "not even really a challenge". So I remain optimistic that we will be seeing them soon. It is not like they stopped working on everything else while they were finishing up arena.

I feel like placeholders could work fine with crafting materials. I think they have more of the crafting system planned and fleshed out than you think.

*Edit- also it seems like you think there is very little progress being done in other areas of the game. I think in general they are much further along in planning things than many give them credit for. Last I heard they were actually already designing cards for set 5(!) and doing the coding for set 3. I would be flabbergasted if most of the "unknowns" you listed are actually still unknown to the developers.

To me it doesn't matter how many sets are out. If we're not running dungeons and raids, they're not that far along. The Frost Arena is an important milestone to that end, but we still seem to have quite a way to go.

israel.kendall
03-08-2015, 05:08 AM
To me it doesn't matter how many sets are out. If we're not running dungeons and raids, they're not that far along. The Frost Arena is an important milestone to that end, but we still seem to have quite a way to go.

I am not too concerned with it, I am sure they have a ton of work already done. What I am truly worried about is chatvatars. Will we all be stuck with the same chatvatar or will there be choices for us to switch to when Arena hits?

Zophie
03-08-2015, 05:01 PM
They've said that many of these unreleased features are in various stages of development and good progress is being made, but there's a lot of moving parts and some things have to wait for other things, and it's really just a matter of waiting for them to all come together. I think 2015 is going to be a great year for many feature releases, Arena is just the beginning.