PDA

View Full Version : AI Misplays March 7-10

Axle
03-06-2015, 11:25 PM
This is a thread similar to the last. We post any obvious misplays by the AI.
Ex: such as killing their own troops for no reason, or buffing an opponent's troop for no reason

A new thread is created for the purpose of being filled with more up to date issues in the current test build. Reporting these will be very helpful to Chris Woods and other HEX staff.

Please list the AI character and their mistake in your posts with the board state as clear as possible and if any equipment was involved.

Reason for making this thread is that another update came out. From what I can tell, there were AI improvements with it and some icon changes (Rage is now a scratching claw, can't attack/defend are now broken sword and shields respectively).

So a new thread can be made I think for the final pre-launch stretch.

Axle
03-06-2015, 11:28 PM
Of a full 20 opponent arena run, the only obvious mistake I saw was Malice Demon who still tries to Call the Grave on x/0 troops or use his charge power on them. The rest went pretty smooth, with only a few minor mistakes. The AI is a lot smarter with selecting its charge powers, at least from what I saw in my run.

More from later in the run
- Darkspire Enforcer doesn't use her charge power. Had 11 charges but never used it once before she lost.

Estar1
03-07-2015, 06:57 AM
AI still doesnt understand how crush works, could of survived lethal if blocked with both of his cavern guards but only blocked with one on a 7/4 gas troll.

BlackRoger
03-07-2015, 11:42 AM
AI Eldritch Dreamer does not block with Bird o' Plenty, possibly does not understand the bird would not die to damage.
Also, when on low health does no longer attack with his merciless Executioner (which he got through the Headless Challenge), even though nothing I have can kill it and it cannot block so no reason to leave on defense.

Avalanche Giant AI has Gem Snatchers with speed gem, but also the equipment that gives them speed - wouldn't it be better to give him the unblockable buff if he already has speed?

AI Construct Foreman: I was playing an orc aggro deck against him. my board was 4 creatures, all with toughness 2 or lower. The AI decided on his turn to play Imp Hoodlums, even though I had no artifacts, and discard heatwave to hand-size limit. Surely playing HeatWave and 4 for 1-ing me was the right play :P

EntropyBall
03-07-2015, 01:24 PM
I played through the whole arena today and saw a ton of misplays.
The AI will play Storm Cloud and then sacrifice it immediately.
It will also play 2 2-cost troops in one turn, and play the one with an Inspire power 2nd.
It used Burn on a 3 toughness troop and then followed up by ending its turn.
It will attack into me while I have lethal damage on the board and it has nothing left to block and no resources.
As someone else mentioned, it doesn't pay any attn to Crush.
It cast Suppressive Fire when it had no attackers and I had no defenders.
It used Time Wave? (the one were you return 2 troops), yet chose to return only 1 of my troops. I then killed it on the following turn with the troop it didn't return.

I'm not going to bother with the sub-optimal plays it made, but these are blatantly incorrect.

filipcic
03-08-2015, 12:42 AM
1. AI Still killing own troops with murder or bouncing them back
2. Play and sacrifice storm cloud
3. Doesn't attack with corrupt harvester, but I don't have any artifacts or blood troops
4. Doesn't understand that the living totem can be pumped up so it likes to block with 2/3

filipcic
03-08-2015, 02:36 AM
This one is also a bad one.
AI has a resource screw. He has only 2 resources and 2 ruby threshold.
So AI discards - Burn.
I guess the issue is, that I have a 2/3 in play and AI doesn't understand that it can at least burn me.

filipcic
03-08-2015, 02:43 AM
Eldritch Dreamer AI played "When this deals damage to opponent, draw a card" on his Bird of plenty (0/1)

filipcic
03-08-2015, 02:46 AM
Eldritch Dreamer AI doesn't understand Bird of plenty ability so it doesn't block, not even 1/1

filipcic
03-08-2015, 03:10 AM
AI Hero of Adamanth is discarding himself by playing town crier without other cards on the board and voiding it.
It used hero ability on crier even with single card in hand (draw 1, discard 2)...

Bis2Fioute
03-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Blood Sphinx used time ripple on his own minion twice.
Also, when I attacked with a 4/3, he blocked with four 2/1.

EntropyBall
03-09-2015, 07:20 AM
I had no troops, AI had 2 troops. He cast Solitary Exile on his own Scrivener.
He also played a troop, then played the Scrivener.

Though on that same arena run I saw several very good bounces and murders, where the AI waited until the last second, after i'd buffed my troops up and attacked.

NemesiN
03-09-2015, 10:43 AM
The AI doesn't really seem to understand how troops with +1/+1 work. If I have a 2/3 out and give it +1/+1, to be a 3/4, the AI will attack into it with a 3/3 all the time. Or if I pump a 2/2 with +1/+1, it will burn the now 3/3 and just leave it at that. A lot of the misplays seem to be around not understanding buffs on troops.

ossuary
03-09-2015, 11:18 AM
The AI also values its troops' survival over its own. I attacked a champion with 3 health left with an 8/8, a 3/3, and a 2/2, while it had a 3/3 and a 1/1 in play. It chumped my 8/8 with the 1/1, but blocked my 2/2 with its 3/3, allowing my 3/3 to get through and kill it. If it had traded 3/3s instead of making the move to kill my 2/2, it would have survived the attack.

The AI in general really needs to learn when to trade and when to sacrifice worthless troops (especially debuffed ones) to save itself some life points, instead of only ever chumping when fatal damage is incoming.

EntropyBall
03-09-2015, 03:02 PM
In the starter trial today, the AI played 2 Life Siphons on turn 2, damaging me for 0 each time. It followed up with a Wall of Corpses, so maybe it was trying to get a 0/3 wall, but it seems more likley it was just throwing cards away.
It then played corrupted afterlife and choose only 1 target, even though 2 were available. This seems to always be the case with multitarget actions.

Axle
03-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Starter trial ai =/= arena ai

apparently

Well, AI couldn't do "X" cost cards in Arena either and they instead were just taken out of their deck. Which is likely what will happen with a lot of cards the AI can't use at launch until such interactions are fixed.