PDA

View Full Version : DC Comics Deck-Building Game Official Tournament Questions

BenJazz
03-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I am planning on running a DC Comics Deck-Building Game Competitive Tournament in a month and I wanted to ask if there were any official rules from Cryptozoic on conducting the event. I have seen 2 or 3 posts stating how others have ran similar events but I figured I would go straight to the source. Any information is helpful. :D

IAmTheGreat
03-07-2015, 06:57 PM
In addition to this I have a lot of people in my area who would participate in competitive tournaments or some sort of league. Does our local gaming store need to set that up, because they are notoriously bad at anything that requires them to slightly go out of their way for customers, especially if it doesn't benefit them.

BenJazz
03-08-2015, 11:17 AM
In addition to this I have a lot of people in my area who would participate in competitive tournaments or some sort of league. Does our local gaming store need to set that up, because they are notoriously bad at anything that requires them to slightly go out of their way for customers, especially if it doesn't benefit them.

My local gaming store basically let's me run and advertise the events and they give me a discount at the store on the corresponding product for putting in the work. The main thing I have to do with them is make sure they order the right kits when they are available and reserve the space and time on the store calendar. I also don't participate in the event just to keep things fair but that can be left up to you. You could probably work out something similar, though most likely minus the discount depending on how the owner feels.

DimeDrl
03-08-2015, 02:04 PM
At my local store, they try to balance out the Super-Heroes and Super-Villains by using VP bidding at the start. The deck is chosen and then the eight players cards for that set are put down. Players then start bidding VP for the character they want. Say you're playing Vanilla with five people. Bidding can go like this:

Player 1 bids 1 VP for Superman.
Player 2 bids 0 VP for Wonder Woman, hoping to get it for free.
Player 3 bids 3 VP for Martian Manhunter, trying to ensure getting it.
Player 4 bids 1 VP for Wonder Woman, beating Player 2's bid.
Player 5 bids 2 VP for Wonder Woman, beating Player 4's bid.
Player 1 checks if anyone else is gonna bid on Superman.
-Player 2 bids 2 VP for Superman, not wanting to bid more on Wonder Woman, beating Player 1's bid.
-Player 1 bids 3 VP for Superman, beating Player 2's bid.
-Player 2 gives up on Superman. Player 1 wins Superman for 3 VP.
Player 2 bids 0 VP for Green Lantern, then check to see if anyone wants to bid more. No one does. Player 2 wins Green Lantern for 0 VP.
Player 3 checks if anyone else is gonna bid on Martian Manhunter. No one does. Player 3 wins Martian Manhunter for 3 VP.
Player 4 bids 4 VP for Wonder Woman, beating Player 5's bid.
-Player 5 bids 0 VP on The Flash, letting Player 4 win Wonder Woman for 4 VP.
Player 5 win The Flash for 0 VP.

At the end of the game, each player subtracts their bid from their final VP number, so at the end of this game:

Player 1 loses 3 VP for bidding on and winning Superman.
Player 2 loses no VP since he/she gained Green Lantern for free.
Player 3 loses 3 VP for bidding on and winning Martian Manhunter.
Player 4 loses 4 VP for bidding on and winning Wonder Woman.
Player 5 loses no VP since he/she gained The Flash for free.

Dreris
03-09-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi everyone at Cryptozoic

I have held off running Tournaments at PretzCON for this very reason. My non Tournaments turn people away, they are that popular but would love to run an officially sanctioned tournament at the con each year.

Are there any plans on convention or non-convention tournaments?

(Oh and this year its Batfamily in Crisis, War of the light, and Justice League Dark:Magic in Crisis I'm running :-) )

kmonarq7
03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
Are there plans for tournaments at C2E2 this year? I am going to be there all three days, and was hoping to get in some play time.

Matt_Hyra
03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Are there plans for tournaments at C2E2 this year? I am going to be there all three days, and was hoping to get in some play time.

CZE will not be at C2E2, but feel free to add a tournament to their gaming schedule and get something going.