PDA

View Full Version : PUNISHING Final Pair

vandalDX
04-04-2015, 07:48 PM
So things were moving along excellently last week--our group was playing Core Set + Crisis 2 with Starfire, Martian Manhunter/Nightwing, and Red Tornado. We survived Demonic Summoning and Heroic Crisis with poise, and were in good shape heading into the final crisis and showdown with Nekron.

Then we ran up against a brutal combination: FROZEN CITY and Nekron. Frozen City by itself is brutal, but we found it late in the game to be an absolute deakbreaker for a couple of reasons:

1. it doubles the number of cards that are lost from the main deck each turn;
2. it actively prevents you from being able to buy cards from the lineup (especially if you draw cards with the same cost, which we did, of course), and which is a precondition from beating Nekron.

We made a halfhearted attempt to beat the Supervillains we added against ourselves as part of the Nekron requirements, but it was too little, too late. Each of us had a strong deck built around teamwork and superpowers and we were all but sure we were going to win. Then, it was over: there were 8 or 9 cards in the lineup, we still had some supervillains in front of us, and Nekron remained pretty much untouched.

What late-game strategies have others come up with to deal with crises that speed up the draw rate of main deck cards (Hades and the Luthor President from Crisis 1 used to stymie us, as well).

Thanks!

FuriousMILK
04-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Not to be a negative nancy, but what we usually do at that point is:
Math it out. Depending on what happened (be it Trigon from... the one that puts a villain in the line-up and no defenses with little deck or Draining the Emotional Spectrum AND Trigon), see how many cards are left in the deck, how many turns minimum are needed to clean up the Nekron villains and everything else.

Does it Math?

If not, take the L and start the next game. If it does math, everyone goes into super try-hard mode and every play is meticulous and measured so as not to ruin what little chances we've got.

The game is awesome, but sometimes it really just is RNG. You hope to roll 20s and not 1s (essentially), that's all there is to it. We've yet to find some magical combo or anything to handle such situations.

IAmTheGreat
04-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Frozen city should be easy to take care of late game. It's when you hit it early game that it can blow you out

vandalDX
04-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Frozen city should be easy to take care of late game. It's when you hit it early game that it can blow you out

We thought it was going to be that way too, as each of us had a nearly Weakness/Punch/Vulnerability-free deck, but the problem was that we kept pulling cards with cost of three off the Main Deck. I think it happened seven or eight times in just a few turns.

This basically meant that each turn, we gained two cards off of the main deck, but could buy only one. We tried to Red Tornado our deck-into-discard-pile so we could get a high-power hand to buy up the rest (because, as you say, in theory we could clean-sweep the 3's off of the lineup in a hand or two), but that just wasn't happening this time--those last cards in the MD just vanished.

vandalDX
04-05-2015, 07:43 AM
The game is awesome, but sometimes it really just is RNG. You hope to roll 20s and not 1s (essentially), that's all there is to it. We've yet to find some magical combo or anything to handle such situations.

We've reasoned that out, as well. We love the game--we're playing it once or twice a week--but sometimes you draw a hand an hour into the game and can't believe that you're about to boot your turn because you just can't do anything.

We're finding we like the co-operative play a bit more than the competitive play, just because the challenge is at least as high and the whole team shares the satisfaction of winning or the frustration of defeat. Do most players play both? JSA Crossover Pack just dropped, and I think that one is up during our next session!

FuriousMILK
04-05-2015, 02:47 PM
We've reasoned that out, as well. We love the game--we're playing it once or twice a week--but sometimes you draw a hand an hour into the game and can't believe that you're about to boot your turn because you just can't do anything.

We're finding we like the co-operative play a bit more than the competitive play, just because the challenge is at least as high and the whole team shares the satisfaction of winning or the frustration of defeat. Do most players play both? JSA Crossover Pack just dropped, and I think that one is up during our next session!

We haven't played PvP since we got our Crisis set, but once we get new stuff for it, I assume we'll get back into it.

ArcaneShadowWolf
04-05-2015, 07:49 PM
there so much into the DC deck building that there's many strategies, and combos to come up with, with the cards you buy wisely and the characters you use, never gets old. The expansions is what makes it more funner. Not many people like the game due to theme not being right, and not much strategy. truth is those people's haven't played the game long enough to realize there's more into it. Even I once thought the game was more based on luck than skill until I discovered it's more than luck as I kept playing the Dc deck building game overtime. The game has a lot of stuffs into it. so many Variants you can play or come up with on your own. Some people just don't like being creative that's all. Overall I love the expansions. I hope there will be more coming and Cryptozoic coming up with new gameplays etc.. It will get much better in time.

LexLuthorJr
04-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Just curious: Does anybody else get ravaged by Immortal Villain? Yes, the first Crisis. It just seems that by the time we get rid of it, it has destroyed at least a dozen cards that we'll never see again. It's frustrating.

ArcaneShadowWolf
04-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Just curious: Does anybody else get ravaged by Immortal Villain? Yes, the first Crisis. It just seems that by the time we get rid of it, it has destroyed at least a dozen cards that we'll never see again. It's frustrating.

Yea it does get frustrating when that happens lol.

gerrymul
04-07-2015, 10:19 AM
The impact of Immortal Villain varies. Some games it kills 10+ cards before we can get rid of it, other times it gets taken care of before it gets any. I don't mind so much the 6 cost cards or heroes or villains, as there are ways to get those back from the destroyed pile somewhat easily. It's the 7 cost super powers and equipment that really hurt, as the only way to get them is with the Atom and an equally beneficial card.

vandalDX
04-07-2015, 10:13 PM

We've gotten pretty lucky with the main deck, in that regard, the three times we've played Crisis 2. There are a few resurrection cards that allow players to gain or trade cards from the destroyed pile--as gerrymul notes, the Atom is great, though you have to give up a card of the same cost--that have let us salvage some of those cards that get destroyed because of Immortal Villain.

What makes that Crisis so difficult, we've found, is that if you're pulling a lot of villains from the main deck, and if no one is playing as Black Canary, AND those good cards are slipping away, as you say, by the dozen, then you're kind of stuck. It's a far more brutal Crisis than Arkham Breakout because of the way it starts to sap the Main Deck right away.