PDA

View Full Version : Hex on a Microsoft Surface?

Vorpal
04-05-2015, 08:50 PM
I am in the market for a new laptop and the wife wants a Microsoft Surface (the one that splits apart into basically a tablet (touch enabled?) and keyboard.

Does anyone run Hex on such a device? Does it run well? Is it even possible? I can't tell if certain varieties of the surface are a 'real' laptop that you can install actual programs onto - or if they are just a glorified mobile device that can only take apps from the appstore. AFAIK Hex is not yet in appstore for itunes/android, yes?

Xavon
04-05-2015, 08:55 PM
I have played Hex on my Surface 2 Pro. It depends on which model you get. 2 Pro or 3 Pro should do fine.

MasterN64
04-06-2015, 12:00 AM
As long as the system runs an actual copy of windows which i believe it does there shouldnt be any software issues aside from a couple touch screen control problems that might spring up. It should just be making sure the hardware is fast enough which it should be.

Im no expert on the surface though.

Miwa
04-06-2015, 01:05 AM
I've seen it played on similar ultrabooks (a samsung ativ book 9 plus) so it should have no problems running on the Surface Pro 3. Heck it should run on the Surface 3 when it ships.

The Surface 2 (non-pro) and the Surface RT wont run it. I love my Surface 2, but it's not for playing games on. :)

koisoujiro
04-06-2015, 02:04 AM
playing it ultra slow on my Dell Venue 8 pro... so surface pro should go with minimal hitch.

poptasticboy
04-06-2015, 03:24 AM
I play on an Asus Transformer Book Flip, which rotates round 360 degrees to become a tablet. Interface works surprisingly well already in tablet mode. The only issue I find is whenever you would need to press the escape key... there doesn't seem to be a touch equivalent of that yet, so I have to switch back to laptop mode briefly for that.

Mokka
04-06-2015, 05:07 AM
I play on a Surface Pro 3, i5, 8GB ram. It runs pretty okay, allthough I feel that the game could be better optimized for power spec. Machines. I have to remind myself that it is beta.

As poptastic mentions, most of the touch actually works perfectly, with a few exceptions. Either way, you can easily aqquire a Surface to play HEX on :)

fido_one
04-06-2015, 05:20 AM
I play on a Surface Pro 3, i5, 8GB ram. It runs pretty okay, allthough I feel that the game could be better optimized for power spec. Machines. I have to remind myself that it is beta.

As poptastic mentions, most of the touch actually works perfectly, with a few exceptions. Either way, you can easily aqquire a Surface to play HEX on :)

I had the i7, it ran pretty well (a.k.a. integrated HD 5000) - I LOVED using the pen for playing Hex, though it's not seamless. I think the Surface 3 is a good/great machine that's crazy if it can fit into your productivity routine, it's not great for games but if Hex is the ultimate goal it'll serve your needs very well for that.

plaguedealer
04-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Remember there is a possibility we can get ipad support sooner then later. You might want to wait tbh.

Svenn
04-06-2015, 07:47 AM
I've got the Surface Pro 3. It runs just fine. I usually end up using Steam's streaming to stream it from my PC just because it's faster, but I can play on the Surface by itself just fine.

Vorpal
04-06-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

I've got the Surface Pro 3. It runs just fine. I usually end up using Steam's streaming to stream it from my PC just because it's faster, but I can play on the Surface by itself just fine.

That sounds interesting - I haven't used Steam's streaming service. Is it running the game on your PC and streaming the display to your mobile device?

Kami
04-06-2015, 08:24 AM

That sounds interesting - I haven't used Steam's streaming service. Is it running the game on your PC and streaming the display to your mobile device?

Steam's streaming feature only works on the same LAN. You can't stream outside your network without some finagling.

Deathfog
04-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Surface Pro 2, works well. Not special optimized for touch, but touch emulating mouse is pretty adequate for a card game.

Svenn
04-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Correct. And what Kami said, it only works on the same network so you can't do it if you're out somewhere. If you're at home playing, though, just add Hex as a non-steam game and then run Steam on both the PC and the Surface. You should have the option to stream it from the PC. It does all the processing on the PC and just streams video and your commands back. All the benefits of playing on a fast PC with the benefit of a portable touch screen. The streaming is very good, you can barely tell you're playing it as a stream.

cavench
04-06-2015, 10:19 AM
I use first generation Surface RT and splashtop streaming software to play Hex. It is a bit clunky but it works great to play arena.