PDA

View Full Version : New HEX Players: What kind of livestream content would you like to see?

hacky
04-07-2015, 01:23 PM
We've gotten a lot of new players recently with the release of the Frost Ring Arena, which is awesome to see! I see lots of questions from new players being posed in my own channel's chat, and the chats of other casters, which is great!

I would like to ask a question of those of you who are newer to Hex: what kind of live content would you like to see? Are the current livestream content focuses enough for you as new players trying to learn HEX? Would you like to see more casts that focus on content closer to new players' experiences?

As examples, Infam0usNe0 has been running Arena with a starter deck, Funktion and Mokog have done budget draft challenges, and Alucard2004 has been doing speedrun challenges with Rock and Pauper rulesets. Have these been helpful to you newer players in gathering ideas for your own collections and deckbuilding? Would you like more? Have any ideas? :D

-----

I'm Hacky, and I'm a HEX livestreamer, along with many others on Twitch. You can find which of us casters of us are currently live playing HEX, on the Twitch HEX game page here: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/HEX:%20Shards%20of%20Fate

And you can find and follow me personally at http://twitch.tv/hackychannel. I stream late nights Pacific Time.

Rehab
04-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I dont watch many streams anymore, i did when beta first launched. One thing i would have liked to see more of is constructed queue tournaments, it was all draft every stream back then. This was one of the reasons i stopped watching them, as i am not into limited so much.

N3rd4Christ
04-07-2015, 01:49 PM
I dont watch many streams anymore, i did when beta first launched. One thing i would have liked to see more of is constructed queue tournaments, it was all draft every stream back then. This was one of the reasons i stopped watching them, as i am not into limited so much.

+1

hacky
04-07-2015, 01:50 PM

On this note, were you looking for any Constructed content at all? Would you prefer to see interesting brew decks and how they perform against popular decks, or to see how popular decks work and fare? Or both?

Draft will always be a popular format for simultaneously playing with constantly shifting circumstance and gathering a collection. With community tournaments, a larger playerbase, and the upcoming $100K tournament series, you'll probably see more Constructed content naturally spring up.

Though, my focus for this thread is newer players. Is this content that many of our newer players would also find compelling?

nicosharp
04-07-2015, 01:52 PM
If your goal is to attract new players... I'd think PvE with starter decks/modified starter decks, and budget builds would be an area of interest. Sharing information on creating value/going infinite - how to get good returns on the AH. Just a hunch, but I believe those things would interest new players.

I wish I could catch your streams and others more often.

hacky
04-07-2015, 02:00 PM
If your goal is to attract new players... I'd think PvE with starter decks/modified starter decks, and budget builds would be an area of interest. Sharing information on creating value/going infinite - how to get good returns on the AH. Just a hunch, but I believe those things would interest new players.

I wish I could catch your streams and others more often.

Attracting new players is not a specific goal, but is always nice: I want to make sure that my casts are welcoming to all skill levels, from new players to veterans.

It's always interesting to go "if I were a new player, I would want..." and realizing that it may not be what new players are immediately looking for. It is a challenge to show players new to Hex that tradeability and the Auction House give them the freedom to go after their goals in whatever manner they choose. And this specific thing is probably better as static tutorials than live content.

Content that works better live, is content that can adapt based on the viewers present. From fielding direct questions, showing what options for cards/equips are available on the AH at the current moment, taking a specific player's request to look at their deck, etc.

MatWith1T
04-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Not a new player... but my $.02... more challenges against viewers. Drafts are a nice way to learn all the cards, and the drafting process a skill to watch and learn in itself - but you never learn the finer intricacies of 'Do I want Yesterday or Menacing Gralk in this deck?' when draft gives you 1 copy of just 1 of them.

Conversely, Constructed Queue is a very expensive way to try/show off fun new concepts or interesting theme decks for the sake of education and entertainment.

But Proving Guards (or Sparring Queues) are f2p, show deck building principles, interact with viewers, and highly customizable (ie do you want T1 decks showing what to expect in the next big event tournament or Pirates vs Dinosaurs theme fights). Dino's 4Keeps is one of my favorite Twitch Hex things to watch at the moment for all the above... and he doesn't even do it from a 'new player' perspective, so I think there's lots of different directions to go.

nicosharp
04-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Content that works better live, is content that can adapt based on the viewers present. From fielding direct questions, showing what options for cards/equips are available on the AH at the current moment, taking a specific player's request to look at their deck, etc.
Perhaps you are right about that. I hardly ever stream.
On that note - there was a popular Diablo 3 streamer a while back that kind of did this, where he would look at a players gear that won a raffle, critique it, and tell him what he would need and how much he would need to make it better.

I assume you could do the same with Hex, regarding a players deck, and could use a free raffle to pick a player to critque. Maybe part of the critique is playing against them, or providing them with a free card/equipment that will help them improve it?

Mokog
04-07-2015, 02:17 PM
As a streamer, there is a new dimension to the arena when you constrict the deck building and put the race element to it. I enjoyed Alucard's speed run league and I hope everyone who watched did too

ossuary
04-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Perhaps you are right about that. I hardly ever stream.
On that note - there was a popular Diablo 3 streamer a while back that kind of did this, where he would look at a players gear that won a raffle, critique it, and tell him what he would need and how much he would need to make it better.

I assume you could do the same with Hex, regarding a players deck, and could use a free raffle to pick a player to critque. Maybe part of the critique is playing against them, or providing them with a free card/equipment that will help them improve it?

This is a neat idea, and something a lot of players could benefit from. Fridged has been doing something similar, where he has the winner Skype in with him and they draft together (on just the one account), and Fridged gives them advice to help improve their choices and plays. A similar system where the winner posts a deck and the streamer builds the same thing and they talk about it, that could be a lot of fun and very informative for more than just the winner specifically. Any opportunity to discuss reasonings for choices is a good use of time in my opinion (especially since it's a favorite topic of mine!). :)