PDA

View Full Version : Portensio & Gax

knightofeffect
04-07-2015, 04:58 PM
So I've been holding on to a couple of the first Gencon Mercenary codes and just noticed that they are posted at pretty crazy prices on the AH. Only one of each is posted with Gax being around $40 and Portensio $80.

Are these mercenaries going to be available eventually in the game through another method?

Are they really that rare and actually selling at those prices?

Should I keep them in their unscratched state for posterity?

Scammanator
04-07-2015, 05:07 PM
These mercenaries are going to be available in game, for a limited time. We have no idea how easy or how challenging they will be to get. We just know that there will be a short, well-advertised period in which they will be obtainable, and that spending platinum will not be necessary to obtain them.

They are very rare. And are selling at prices in that general range (although I haven't personally heard of a sale as high as $80 USD, even in platinum).

Keeping them unscratched is entirely your call, as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea what the future demand will be for such items. Can't really recommend one way or the other.

magic_gazz
04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
No they are worthless.

Mail them to me :)

Lafoote
04-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Short term, they're going to be pretty valuable. Then, they will take a massive price drop when they (somehow) introduce them to the masses. Long term, I would expect them to eventually eclipse their current value over time, so long as Hex can continue to bring in new players.

Yoss
04-07-2015, 05:43 PM
No they are worthless.

Mail them to me :)

No, to me! I'll give you 1g for each. :)

Fateanomaly
04-07-2015, 08:41 PM
My guess is that it is best to sell them while some people are still willing to buy them at the inflated price.

israel.kendall
04-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Wow I used to see Gax for 7k. People just think up random prices and if someone finds it agreeable they bite.

knightofeffect
04-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Yea, it does seem like the correct action. However, I find it curious that they are selling for that much. I mean the thing solely driving their value is their relative rarity. With that being the case, it is likely that a small amount of people are trying to corner the market and hope for a black lotus-like rarity to ensue when the game really takes off.

This is an awkward conundrum...

wolzarg
04-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Personally i would keep the cards unscratched as a cool collectible that few people will have. But that's just me and not based on any kind of value in money.

knightofeffect
04-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Personally i would keep the cards unscratched as a cool collectible that few people will have. But that's just me and not based on any kind of value in money.

Yea, I've really got that itch as well. I think that is what I'm leaning toward assuming the codes never go bad. I've kept them behind the cover of a comic in a shoe box with all my other con stuff I collect. I'm seriously considering just slotting them back in there.

Salverus
04-07-2015, 11:44 PM
that they are listed at that price doesnt mean anyone is buying them for that price
many lots expire without being sold.

Voormas
04-07-2015, 11:48 PM
We don't have the data but I doubt anyone will actually be buying them at that price - it's like people listing non-AA cards for thousands of plat and hoping they get lucky

They are going to be available in-game at a later date, the current plan is that they will be trade-able until "used" so anyone who does buy now at those prices should really learn to be more patient (this is why I only own 2 AA Ozawa)

Skirovik
04-07-2015, 11:56 PM
I have an unscratched Gax card magnetted to my fridge. It's been there since GenCon 2013 when a friend of mine picked one up for me.

If I've waited this long, I see no rush to scratch off and use the code just yet. :p

israel.kendall
04-08-2015, 01:59 AM
People do buy them. Have seen people buying in chat and know people who have sold them.

N3rd4Christ
04-08-2015, 06:28 AM

That's what I did with this years code

Yoss
04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
People do buy them. Have seen people buying in chat and know people who have sold them.

I can confirm this as well.