04-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Any point spinning legendary chests?

dogmod
04-12-2015, 11:02 PM
Any point spinning legendary chests?

To get primal chests

Erukk
04-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Only if you have the gold to spend and you're feeling extremely lucky.

x78089
04-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Only if primal chest contents are amazing is it going to be worth the gold (at current conversion prices).

magic_gazz
04-12-2015, 11:22 PM
I am guessing I must have spent about $30 or more JUST on spinning legendary chests.

Excited to see what is in the primal chests.

x78089
04-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Wow, you have faith. Hopefully it is well rewarded.

Zophie
04-12-2015, 11:26 PM
I spin them as it's a simple goal for me to set for myself. Earn enough gold, spin chests, repeat until all chests are spun. I'm still working on Rares at the moment though.

havocattack
04-13-2015, 12:25 AM
I really doubt it is worth doing, 30k gold is a lot!
Best to just try get double upgrade on rare chests for primals imo

alcide
04-13-2015, 02:57 AM
we can safely bet on the fact that the dev will make the legendary chest spin worthy but we can wait a little bit too ^^
but if the spin addiction is too strong , just blow away all those chests :D

Erukk
04-13-2015, 03:24 AM
I think I would like the legendary chests more if there wasn't a chance of getting a paid spin on them, because nothing ruins a good mood more than getting one or two of those on a single chest.

noragar
04-13-2015, 07:56 AM
For everyone who would prefer not to get a paid spin result when spinning their legendary chests, I'm willing to trade legendary chests with no spin for an equal number of legendary chests with a paid spin (while supplies last since I only have about 30 per set)

nicosharp
04-13-2015, 07:57 AM
For everyone who would prefer not to get a paid spin result when spinning their legendary chests, I'm willing to trade legendary chests with no spin for an equal number of legendary chests with a paid spin (while supplies last since I only have about 30 per set)
cute and lucrative

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 08:56 AM

The issue is not that the rerolls are inherently bad, it is just that they are meant to be a win, and that win is almost worse than getting a fail (I mean, I would rather get a fail on the first spin than 5+ rerolls, and then a fail.) You should not feel discouraged when rolling, especially when the biggest discouragement is having to spend another 30k gold for potentially nothing, on top of what you are putting in right now.

This is why people don't like to roll anything higher than rare, and frankly, I have gotten a lot of set 2 primals from rare rolls already. I have no real reason to roll legendaries so far. :p

Roy_G
04-13-2015, 09:05 AM
The cost of gold to spin a chest in terms of plat is little more than 200 plat at the moment,for a single spin,not counting respins,I'm not sure if it's worth spinning at the moment anything higer than rare at the moment until we know what's in the primal chests and their value.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 09:21 AM
The cost of gold to spin a chest in terms of plat is little more than 200 plat at the moment,for a single spin,not counting respins,I'm not sure if it's worth spinning at the moment anything higer than rare at the moment until we know what's in the primal chests and their value.

Honestly the only chest value that truly matters is primal, and unless there is a 1% drop sleeve in there, chances are it won't be worth dropping 30k on a legendary roll when you can get about the same results (plus lots of 'rolled' legendary chests) from rolling just rares.

I mean, I want to roll my legendary chests, but I can't see it being worth it, even once we know the value.

plaguedealer
04-13-2015, 09:23 AM
What if primal chest allowed you convert your mastery of time to a aa mastery of time? Primal would definitely be worth the spins. We know those aa cards exist, I really think it is from the chests.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 09:26 AM
What if primal chest gave you a chance at some method to convert you mastery of time to a aa mastery of time? Primal would definitely be worth the spins. We know those aa cards exist, I really think it is from the chests.

Mastery would probably just drop, not convert. And like I said - unless it is a bound item at a low chance (like a sleeve) then chances are you would save money by just buying the items single, or the primal chests, or just rare chests and the gold to roll them. I would be very, very happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt legendary chests will be worth the extra % chance to proc a primal.

ossuary
04-13-2015, 09:50 AM
but I doubt legendary chests will be worth the extra % chance to proc a primal.

As it stands, they definitely won't. Not unless CZE severely revamps the way Wheels of Fate pays out (as we've been discussing in that other thread). The exchange rate for gold to plat is almost TOO good right now. I know they want gold to have value, and that's a wonderful thing, but the value it has makes rolling legendary chests basically something only an insane person would do. $2 real money PER SPIN, for something that has over a 50% chance to fail completely (or give 500 gold, which is identical to a fail in that case) and a further 10-20% chance to do nothing except let you pay another $2? It's ridiculous. You'd be better off just buying the extra packs with that and generating more total chests.

nicosharp
04-13-2015, 09:53 AM
'IF' Primal chests contain Primal packs 50% of the time, the $2 gold sink can be argued "worth".

noragar
04-13-2015, 09:55 AM
The issue is not that the rerolls are inherently bad, it is just that they are meant to be a win, and that win is almost worse than getting a fail

That's my point exactly. Almost worse than getting a fail is better than getting a fail. However, this is far from the first thread that I've seen where people say that they would rather get a fail than a reroll. If you get a reroll, you have the choice of either rerolling or not rerolling. If you get a fail, you only have the choice of not rerolling.

(I mean, I would rather get a fail on the first spin than 5+ rerolls, and then a fail.)
Obviously. But I would rather get a reroll on the first spin and then an upgrade instead of getting a fail on the first spin.

You should not feel discouraged when rolling, especially when the biggest discouragement is having to spend another 30k gold for potentially nothing, on top of what you are putting in right now.

Agreed, you should not feel discouraged when rolling since rolling is totally optional. If you feel discouraged when rolling, then a better option would probably have been not to roll. However, having the choice of whether on not to reroll is not the biggest discouragement. It's worse to not have that choice. Having the choice is always >= not having the choice since one of the options you're choosing from (not rolling) is exactly equal to the choice you're forced into by a failed roll. You can choose to make a reroll exactly the same as a failed roll simply by not rerolling (or by trading your chest with spins to me for chest without spins).

This is why people don't like to roll anything higher than rare, and frankly, I have gotten a lot of set 2 primals from rare rolls already. I have no real reason to roll legendaries so far.

I also haven't been spinning anything higher than rares, mostly because I don't have enough gold to spin them even if I wanted to, but also because I'm waiting to see whether it will be worth the gold or not. That doesn't mean I think that Wheel spinning needs to be revamped to remove rerolls as a possible win (and yes, it is a win compared to a fail).

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 10:06 AM
'IF' Primal chests contain Primal packs 50% of the time, the $2 gold sink can be argued "worth".

It would devalue primal packs (especially since you could potentially chain primal packs together with some lucky rolls). And if it was a lower chance... Maybe, but the lower the chance, the less attractive the roll.

It is an interesting though though - is there a perfect % drop that would not make it 'easy' to go infinite on primal packs/rolls, that would actually help encourage people to roll? Maybe a 5% drop chance alongside all the other drops could be considered fair... Definitely an interesting idea.

Scammanator
04-13-2015, 10:10 AM
I don't understand how this isn't self-normalizing.

If Primal chests "aren't worth the gold sink", then won't the primal exclusives be that much more rare? We already know about the non-tradeable Vampire King Sleeves. But what if there's a Mercenary? Won't its value automatically be close to the average gold put into the system to acquire it? Unless all the exclusive rewards are so bad that there's essentially zero demand for them, and even then the collectors out there will pay whatever's necessary to obtain them.

Now if we're talking "spin rares first" because they have a better chance of primal outcome relative to gold input, then that's a different story. But I don't thing the odds work out strongly in favor of that argument.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 10:12 AM
I don't understand how this isn't self-normalizing.

If Primal chests "aren't worth the gold sink", then won't the primal exclusives be that much more rare? We already know about the non-tradeable Vampire King Sleeves. But what if there's a Mercenary? Won't its value automatically be close to the average gold put into the system to acquire it? Unless all the exclusive rewards are so bad that there's essentially zero demand for them, and even then the collectors out there will pay whatever's necessary to obtain them.

Now if we're talking "spin rares first" because they have a better chance of primal outcome relative to gold input, then that's a different story. But I don't thing the odds work out strongly in favor of that argument.

What we are saying is that it is likely that rares will be spun, and legendaries may just be opened without being rolled, because the EV is better than rolling. And, either way, the wheels could use a huge overhaul anyway to just be flat out more appealing - the more people want to roll, the better the sink will be.

zadies
04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Without knowing what/if there are primal exclusive rewards revamping the wof at this point is pointless.

Vorpal
04-13-2015, 10:35 AM
It would devalue primal packs (especially since you could potentially chain primal packs together with some lucky rolls)

Depending on what is in the chests, opening chests may decrease card value across the board. Right now you pay your 200 plat for a bunch of cards and a chest with no value that you can't open. Once that chest has value, then the plat value of the cards must also necessarily go down.

Scammanator
04-13-2015, 10:41 AM
What we are saying is that it is likely that rares will be spun, and legendaries may just be opened without being rolled, because the EV is better than rolling. And, either way, the wheels could use a huge overhaul anyway to just be flat out more appealing - the more people want to roll, the better the sink will be.

Odds of a double upgrade are roughly 1/4 the rate of a single upgrade, right? So spinning 100 legendary chests will result in as many primals as 500 rare chests? (assuming you stop spinning after a single upgrade)

So spinning rares to get the same number of primal chests as spinning legendaries will cost ~40% more gold, but will also result in almost 5x as many spins. That means the results of the average chest spin would have to be valued at over ~2500 gold in order to want to spin rares over legendaries, or roughly the spin cost of an uncommon chest.

Not an unreasonable figure. But is it so clearly in excess of that amount that no one is considering the value of spinning Legendary at all?

zadies
04-13-2015, 11:43 AM
Depending on what is in the chests, opening chests may decrease card value across the board. Right now you pay your 200 plat for a bunch of cards and a chest with no value that you can't open. Once that chest has value, then the plat value of the cards must also necessarily go down.
This is assuming that chests have any pvp related non-sleeve/pack items in them at all and that all drops from the chests are non-unique to chests being the source.

Vorpal
04-13-2015, 12:21 PM
This is assuming that chests have any pvp related non-sleeve/pack items in them at all and that all drops from the chests are non-unique to chests being the source.

I don't think that's strictly true. If you can buy a pack, sell all the cards in it for the same price you get currently, then also sell what is in the chest for..I dunno, 40 plat, you would make money buying and opening packs.Packs have a 'ceiling' for value. If it turns out chests have stuff inside them worth 40 plat it isn't going to make packs be worth 210 plat, for example. Even if it was pve related things you sold for gold I think it would have an impact, granted, a noticably lesser one.

I am thinking the most likely contents of packs are pve cards, equipment, and crafting materials. But even that might have a modest impact on prices (probably not much in the case of equipment, which can reach saturation point very quickly)

zadies
04-13-2015, 01:00 PM
Vorpal the packs already have an EV above 200 for cracking them go check hexprice.com

Audens
04-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Vorpal the packs already have an EV above 200 for cracking them go check hexprice.com

I suspect that's not actually true and is just a result of imperfect data.

Assuming it is true, though, it's not sustainable in the long run. If people can pay 200 plat for something that, on average, is worth more than 200 plat, then they're going to keep doing that until the supply of cards has reached a point where the contents are only worth 200 plat on average (this ignores primal generation). And those contents include the chest, so if chests are currently valued at nothing because no one knows what is in them, then when people start attaching a value to them, card prices will need to fall.

Vorpal
04-13-2015, 01:31 PM

I'm not sure how they are calculating that, but I suspect is in error. ~245 plat for a set 1 pack?

Unless you think, on average, you can buy a set 1 pack and resell its contents for 100p more than you paid.

Are you actually out there doing that right now on the market? Because if you aren't, you don't really believe that set 1 pack valuation either :D

Turtlewing
04-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I suspect that's not actually true and is just a result of imperfect data.

Assuming it is true, though, it's not sustainable in the long run. If people can pay 200 plat for something that, on average, is worth more than 200 plat, then they're going to keep doing that until the supply of cards has reached a point where the contents are only worth 200 plat on average (this ignores primal generation). And those contents include the chest, so if chests are currently valued at nothing because no one knows what is in them, then when people start attaching a value to them, card prices will need to fall.

Unless everyone just assumes that what you said is true instead of basing their estimates off of market data, and therefore not enough people are cracking packs on the assumption that it's a bad idea.

Scammanator
04-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Unless everyone just assumes that what you said is true instead of basing their estimates off of market data, and therefore not enough people are cracking packs on the assumption that it's a bad idea.

Or the process of actually selling those cards at that profit requires a fair amount of work.

Tazelbain
04-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Or we heard how they are guessing the floor cards...

ossuary
04-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Two things:

1) The average pack "values" are being inflated by the price floor. If it weren't for the floors, contents would be worth significantly less than they are. Also, some but nowhere CLOSE to all cards actually sell at the floor. There are dozens of pages of Prophet of Lodegan listed at 31p buyout, but no more than a couple ever actually sell in a given week. That still gives it a "value" of 31p, but actually realizing that value is nearly impossible.

2) The prices fluctuate wildly throughout the week, especially on the weekend, and doubly especially when a big constructed tournament is happening. Those weekends also see WAY more activity than a normal weekday, which again artificially inflates the "average" price for 95% of real time. While it's true that you CAN sell a Crackling Vortex for 750+ plat, that is only true for roughly 2-3 days of every month, the rest of the time, the price tends to be below 600.

If a savvy person were to buy and crack a buttload of packs a week or so before a large tournament, catalog everything, and start listing it 3-4 days before the tournament, they very well could make a huge profit for several hours' work (he said knowingly). Any other time of the month, you'll never come anywhere close to getting your money back, you'll just sell off the best cards for about half the total price you paid for the packs, and be left sitting on a huge pile of junk rares, shit uncommons, and uncountable hoards of commons that nobody will ever pay plat for. The only way this comes anywhere CLOSE to being worthwhile is if you're particularly lucky at proccing primal packs and you sell those to recoup your losses from the garbage cards that won't sell on the AH.

So really, it all comes down to a gamble on your Kismet... if you're one of those dickheads who pops primal packs like tic tacs, you can make a mint. If you're one of those unlucky sons of bitches who just can't catch a break (like me - 0.62% primal rate!), it's a bad idea to buy and crack packs hoping to get rich. ;)

magic_gazz
04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
As it stands, they definitely won't. Not unless CZE severely revamps the way Wheels of Fate pays out (as we've been discussing in that other thread). The exchange rate for gold to plat is almost TOO good right now. I know they want gold to have value, and that's a wonderful thing, but the value it has makes rolling legendary chests basically something only an insane person would do. $2 real money PER SPIN, for something that has over a 50% chance to fail completely (or give 500 gold, which is identical to a fail in that case) and a further 10-20% chance to do nothing except let you pay another $2? It's ridiculous. You'd be better off just buying the extra packs with that and generating more total chests.

Who you calling insane :P

magic_gazz
04-13-2015, 02:43 PM

I wish people would stop spreading this nonsense.

It is 100% not true. They are using imperfect information. If card X sells once at a price, they think it is worth that price, that is not the case.

ossuary
04-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Who you calling insane :P

Myself, and you, apparently. ;)

dogmod
04-13-2015, 02:53 PM
That being said you can likely make back your 600+ish plat for a draft if you straight rare draft. The value of uncommons/commons that do sell allows you to do so. A lot of dual shards get passed around and you can see a good number of the commons that sell between 5-15 plat. I would say the EV for rare drafting and AH selling is actually well above what it cost's to enter currently.

I also expect the price of gold to trend down to 250:1 in line with min AH price of the AA commons. If it doesn't that means that the F2P audience is not making up a sizable portion of the playerbase, which I hope someday it will.

plaguedealer
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
For rare drafting, there is definitely a market for the dual shards, heck the price might only increase over time.

magic_gazz
04-13-2015, 06:33 PM
For rare drafting, there is definitely a market for the dual shards, heck the price might only increase over time.

Do you want to buy around 100 dual shards?

frychikn
04-14-2015, 12:16 AM
you wont get to open them any time soon so who cares :D

ossuary
04-14-2015, 03:47 AM
you wont get to open them any time soon so who cares :D

Wrong. (shhhhhhhhhh)

szimek
04-14-2015, 04:37 AM
Wrong. (shhhhhhhhhh)

Chest opening Hype in 3...2...1...

;>

ossuary
04-14-2015, 05:06 AM
I mean it all depends on what your personal definition of "any time soon" is. :)

frychikn
04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
true lol im sure some peoples definition of soon is this year

Xenavire
04-14-2015, 08:21 AM
true lol im sure some peoples definition of soon is this year

Time does pass faster than you expect sometimes... Like it is about 1-2 weeks until the 1 year anniversary of Hex going into closed beta! This time last year the hype train was at full speed, for a product that looks like a joke compared to what we have in our hands right now. Crazy right?

Yubar
04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
If they want to increase gold value, forcing a chest to be spun in order to be opened could work. Legendary chest contents would have to be excellent

Vorpal
04-14-2015, 09:04 AM
If they want to increase gold value, forcing a chest to be spun in order to be opened could work. Legendary chest contents would have to be excellent

You mean spun until it can no longer be spun? or just spun once?

darkwonders
04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Side question, do packs won from Chest Spins have a chance of proccing a primal?

noragar
04-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Side question, do packs won from Chest Spins have a chance of proccing a primal?

They're definitely supposed to be able to, though I haven't been lucky enough to get one myself. I have seen someone saying they got both a regular pack and a primal pack from a WOF spin, so I think that's what would have happened there as I don't think it's possible to get both just through the normal rewards.

Tarquin
04-14-2015, 09:27 AM
It should be yeah, but, getting packs from spins is already pretty rare.

ossuary
04-14-2015, 10:20 AM
All system-generated packs can proc a primal pack, including store purchases, paying for packs upfront going into a tournament, prizes, wheels of fate wins, and code redemptions. The ONLY exception to this is that the packs that are generated when you enter a tournament using a free ticket do not ever proc primals.

dogmod
04-14-2015, 12:42 PM
All system-generated packs can proc a primal pack, including store purchases, paying for packs upfront going into a tournament, prizes, wheels of fate wins, and code redemptions. The ONLY exception to this is that the packs that are generated when you enter a tournament using a free ticket do not ever proc primals.

You left VIP packs off your list. Do these generate primals? I have heard someone say yes but never seen it documented in picture.

ossuary
04-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Are they system generated? Then they can proc primal. ;)

And yes, I have actually seen it happen.

Lafoote
04-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Are they system generated? Then they can proc primal. ;)

And yes, I have actually seen it happen.

That's pretty wild. Seems like based on % of Primals I encountered buying packs, VIP ought to primal once or twice a year. I have yet to get one that way.

dogmod
04-14-2015, 04:51 PM
That's pretty wild. Seems like based on % of Primals I encountered buying packs, VIP ought to primal once or twice a year. I have yet to get one that way.

Agreed. Seems like there would be a screen shot of this somewhere. I have multiple kickstarter accounts in my family with VIPs and none of them have procced primals. That doesn't mean they don't but that combined with the fact that I have never seen a screen shot of someone else having it happen makes me doubtful.

hex_colin
04-14-2015, 04:51 PM

One a year on average, but it'd be well into the third year before you could reasonably be concerned that you hadn't seen one yet.

ossuary
04-14-2015, 07:34 PM
In fact, you would have a 35% chance of NOT getting a primal in a full year of VIP statistically, so it's completely conceivable that some players will simply never have this happen to them (people like me, who have terrible luck perpetually, can pretty much count in it not happening ;)). And over a full 2 year subscription (or two family members for 1 year), there's still nearly 12.5% chance to have no primal. You could just be unlucky.

dogmod
04-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Like I said... I am aware of statistics. And myself (and the 3 other VIPs) in my family not getting one could be an outlier.

But in the famous words of some person: Pictures or it didn't happen.

hammer
04-14-2015, 10:48 PM
VIP and wheels of fate should have possibility to proc primals but they do not. I raised this months ago. No response on intended or bugged. So no currently you cannot get a primal from either the wheels or VIP. Over to the great datadragon to look at the evidence base :)

ossuary
04-15-2015, 03:20 AM
VIP and wheels of fate should have possibility to proc primals but they do not. I raised this months ago. No response on intended or bugged. So no currently you cannot get a primal from either the wheels or VIP. Over to the great datadragon to look at the evidence base :)

Just people you have not gotten one, does not mean it doesn't happen. I believe you were told that the last time you tried to claim it was broken, too. :)

bootlace
04-15-2015, 03:49 AM
Chark already confirmed they might change chest rolling fee so if gold appreciates too much thats something they will do.

However given a rough 10% chance at an upgrade they would only have to insert a primal pack or a Legendary AA along with some sleeve or whatnot to make it worth it.

Sparrow
04-15-2015, 05:40 AM
I could swear I've gotten a primal from spinning a chest. All I can say is that I thought I had no primals in my account and then won a booster on the wheel twice in a row and looked later and I had two primal packs. I guess I could have overlooked them from an earlier purchase.

Vorpal
04-15-2015, 07:34 AM
I kind of wish primals weren't quite so awesome and thus so expensive, because I have bad luck with them (not a single Primal from draft/sealed/VIP, should have about..3 or 4 I think?) and I got fewer than calculated from the kickstarter as well.

If they are worth 2,000 plat, then 'missing' 4 primals from what you 'should' have basically means 8,000 worth of your plat went up in smoke.

Xenavire
04-15-2015, 07:40 AM
I kind of wish primals weren't quite so awesome and thus so expensive, because I have bad luck with them (not a single Primal from draft/sealed/VIP, should have about..3 or 4 I think?) and I got fewer than calculated from the kickstarter as well.

If they are worth 2,000 plat, then 'missing' 4 primals from what you 'should' have basically means 8,000 worth of your plat went up in smoke.

On the flip side, hitting a hot streak gives you crazy value. As it is, my primal luck has come close to normal after about 6-700 boosters generated (not sure how many precisely due to draft tickets.) I am certainly not over that I am aware, but I am not way under the expected amount either.

plaguedealer
04-15-2015, 07:43 AM
I guess you can calculate the number of packs generated by the the total amount of chests you have? Need to see what that numer is, got to be incredible.

Xenavire
04-15-2015, 07:49 AM
I guess you can calculate the number of packs generated by the the total amount of chests you have? Need to see what that numer is, got to be incredible.

Chests also come from draft tickets, so it isn't 100% reliable, and it doesn't take into account AH/traded boosters either. I had to roughly estimate based on the free drafts I have had (which generated about 150-200 chests) and some traded packs (maybe 30-40? At most.) Without knowing the precise numbers, it is educated guess work, but at absolute worst I have generated about 500 packs from wins, ks, and purchases. Based on that I should have generated about 10 primals (and I am within a reasonable range of that number, with about 8-9 as far as I am aware.)

magic_gazz
04-15-2015, 02:45 PM

That's a bit of a stretch.

Not hitting a lucky roll does not mean that you have "ost any plat.

Vorpal
04-15-2015, 07:26 PM
That's a bit of a stretch.

Not hitting a lucky roll does not mean that you have "ost any plat.

Compared to everyone else you have :D And since you are bidding against those people for your cards on the AH, it matters.

It would be like if every single person in the world won a billion dollars but you.

It would do no good to say you hadn't *actually* lost a billion dollars, because the difference in outcome between you getting the billion like every one else and then it immediately bursting into flames, compared with what you have, are exactly the same.

It's one reason you have to go after exploiters so hard. If someone creates a billion plat for himself, it's like he stole that much from everyone else.

And it's not that I didn't hit a lucky roll. Me not hitting a lucky roll means 16,000 of my plat are missing, but it wasn't really 'my' plat anyway. Not hitting the expected, average roll, is what makes 8,000 of my plat going up in smoke :D

ossuary
04-15-2015, 09:07 PM
As someone whose primal rate is well below 1%, I feel you. ;)

hex_colin
04-15-2015, 09:08 PM
As someone whose primal rate is well below 1%, I feel you. ;)

My giveaways are tribute to Kismet. ;) She looks after me... My Primal rate is 2.04%.