PDA

View Full Version : Mill keyword

Lafoote
04-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Mill is a term that's more closely tied to that other game than we give it credit for. It originated with the Millstone WAY back in Antiquities. Hex should have it's own keyword for this effect. This would serve both to have more differentiation given the ongoing litigation, and to give us a tool to search out such cards in the deck builder.

My thought would be something graveyardish. Tombstone(my favorite since it's something in common with the original, but can not be mistaken), embalm or wake come to mind. It certainly could be anything else though, flip, flop, skim, whatever.

Kami
04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
It's not a keyword. It's slang. :P

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 07:18 AM
Well, it is commonly used... Maybe it could have a keyword? I mean, it would save textbox space, would be easily recognisable, and could be used for basic mill (where other forms of mill would use different wording, or use a combination of the keyword and different wording.)

Just because one game has slang for a style doesn't mean we can't have a basic keyword for mill (like Gravebound 6 on a card could be an example keyword, while mill could still be the slang to describe the style.)

Jemy000
04-13-2015, 07:20 AM
It does have a keyword- bury.

Gwaer
04-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Bury? That's what it's referred to in every instance of the game isn't it? Get it? Putting cards directly into the gy burying them...

ossuary
04-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Yep. Hex never actually uses the term mill. The actual text on the cards that do it say to bury the top X cards of the deck.

Lafoote
04-13-2015, 08:04 AM
It's not a keyword. It's slang. :P

I wasn't suggesting is is a keyword, just that the related etymology is directly tied to a card from it that shall not be named. I think it would be wise and practical to assign it a keyword, and to use that terminology in place of the word mill. With the added benefit of getting a useful search target in deck builder.

Bury is great, but I thought that might have been used in conjunction with cards from play somewhere. So I guess it's not an official keyword, but can be used in exactly that fashion.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Bury if fine and all, but some effects are a little convoluted, and I think just saving some space with "Keyword number" and then using it as needed would leave bury as a good alternative for the convoluted descriptions. :p

Then again, I don't hate longer descriptions, but some people do which is why I wouldn't mind it.

noragar
04-13-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't see how it really works as a keyword.

Say we make
Dementia Daisies BURY 2
Murmers From the Void BURY 5
Spawn of Othuyeg BURY 1 if.../ BURY 5 if...
etc.

We still need to keep the card text pretty much as is to explain in what situation the BURY effect takes place. The other keywords work because they're always applied the same way in the same situation, but pretty much every BURY effect we've seen so far is different from the rest.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't see how it really works as a keyword.

Say we make
Dementia Daisies BURY 2
Murmers From the Void BURY 5
Spawn of Othuyeg BURY 1 if.../ BURY 5 if...
etc.

We still need to keep the card text pretty much as is to explain in what situation the BURY effect takes place. The other keywords work because they're always applied the same way in the same situation, but pretty much every BURY effect we've seen so far is different from the rest.

Look at Inspire and Escalation. They also have long explanations - it would just be an easily recognisable bit of language that can have conditions attached to it to make unique cards. I mean, look at Endbringer - that textbox is pretty long, and it essentially just grants rage 2 or rage 4 or nothing.

Having conditions on the same card is not exactly a crime. :p

That said, the cards basically do just say it simply now, so maybe it isn't as vital as it seems.

Scammanator
04-13-2015, 08:24 AM
"Bury" is a game action, the same as destroy, interrupt, and discard. They all do the same thing (with some small variations): put cards into the graveyard. The primary difference is what zone they are going to the graveyard from.

plaguedealer
04-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Not to derail, but somewhat related is reanimator decks. I guess that is kind of just slang too.

There is definitely a difference in goals between mill and reanimator. Wouldn't hurt to have a hex word for both strategies.

I always liked playing reanimator back in the day, maybe ruinforged reinventor will be the new hotness one day lol.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 08:50 AM
Not to derail, but somewhat related is reanimator decks. I guess that is kind of just slang too.

There is definitely a difference in goals between mill and reanimator. Wouldn't hurt to have a hex word for both strategies.

I always liked playing reanimator back in the day, maybe ruinforged reinventor will be the new hotness one day lol.

Ruinforged could totally clean up in blood/ruby Jank Bot if there was a way to send specific cards directly from the deck to the graveyard. Especially since you would have a ton of other options like Rise Again, plus Jank Bot swinging and hitting all of those at the same time... Scary. :)

plaguedealer
04-13-2015, 08:55 AM
Agreed xen, if forge of caddock put the card in the graveyard I would be trying some type of reanimator. One day forge of caddock will also be the new hotness lol. Maybe forge will have a equipment like that.

Xenavire
04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
And now I feel like making a jankfest with rise again... Curses! :p

ossuary
04-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Saph / Ruby, Shrewd Manipulation + Ruinforge. I messed around with this on the test server and managed to get Megahulk in play on turn 3, swinging on turn 4. If you can manage to get Lord Alex out too, you can swing with Megahulk the same turn it hits. It's janky as hell, but it's hilarious.

I played around with adding Wild to have Sight of the Sun and cycle the cards in hand faster (you can also use multiple Dream Dances to get the cards in your graveyard faster), but it was too clunky with the cards we have available right now. Reanimator will ABSOLUTELY be a thing in Hex, we just need a few more enablers first.