PDA

View Full Version : Rust you, war bot!

Sparrow
04-13-2015, 10:34 PM
War Bot has really been a thorn in my side and has been the only champion I consistently lose to (consistently, in that I beat him (it?) only once thanks to it (him?) being shard-screwed).

My deck is fun, but I don't run any artifacts so when he wipes the board with his champion power, I lose everything. Not sure of the best way to deal with her (it?). I normally don't buy individual cards, but I'd be willing to if there's some card that could raise my win rate vs. War Bot to a modest 25%. Suggestions?

Skirovik
04-13-2015, 10:38 PM
My best 2 suggestions are as follows:

1. Concede/skip the fight and enjoy the rest of your run.

2. Add some artifacts to your deck. Some good options that work well in most deck types are: Reactor Bot, Mimeobot (can make replicas which are artifacts), Charge Bot, Charge Hulk, Inductocoptor Bot.

Parzival
04-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Kill him before turn 5 :cool:

Actually that strategy works for a lot of bosses in arena but it's not the most fun.

Another slower but less cheesy approach is to minimise your troops on the board.

He only wipes when you have a large board presence or high cost creatures so if playing mid just drop one or two blockers to handle his annoying chargebots while you carry on putting down shards, direct damage also works well.

Or you can play some arties :D

Forgot if playing Ruby you might want to think about Imp Hoodlums (with their equipment even better), yeah not a great drop for most of the arena but they shine vs a few opponents - War Bot and Seaweed Behemoth come to mind.

Ertzi
04-13-2015, 11:34 PM
If I don't run any artifacts in my deck or have mass removal in hand, the only option I have is to play one single troop, hope War Bot will not use his champion power, and try to win through attrition. These games are not fun. In my experience, War Bot rarely uses his champion power against one troop, but will immediately do it if I have even two troops out. If the one troop is a rare, he might use the power. If the one troop is a Living Totem, he always uses the power. The problem is Reactor Bot though, as it becomes huge fast against any single troop. If I have removal and one Swiftstrike troop in hand, I feel pretty good. The AI will suicide its own troops against your troop and you can kill the eventual Reactor Bot if he goes crazy with it. But then out comes Droo's Walker... Tough fight for many decks.

Now that I have played Arena a bit more, I would say War Bot, Nelebrin Scout and Xarlox are in a different league based on difficulty. I am always relieved to see any other champion be my next opponent. Some opponents even bring a smile to my face, as I know I am almost always going to win. These three are my personal run killers though. I have decks that easily beat one of the three, but I have never had a deck that would easily beat all three. The day I figure that out, my perfect run record goes through the roof.

Ertzi
04-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Forgot if playing Ruby you might want to think about Imp Hoodlums

That's right, these guys exist too. I might have to try to add them to some Ruby decks and see how they perform. Would help a lot against War Bot and Eurig at least.

szimek
04-13-2015, 11:48 PM
I use Lightning Elementals with equipment that gives them +1/+0 after using champion charge skill. With Giles it makes them +4 with swiftstrike on turn 4. Lightning Elemental are enough low cost troops that War Bot won't remove them and because AI can't handle swiftstrike well i remove his troops with it. (i'm sure that he wont' use his charge skill when you have 1 L. Elemental, not sure with 2 - 2nd can sit on defense). Ofc you need to draw at least 1 Lightning Elementals before turn 3 or 4 and all other troops will sit on your hand, but with enough removals in your deck, you can beat him just by removing his troops with your actions and swiftstrike on your Elemental and then few hits with Elemental and dmg actions like Burn to the ground and it's GG ;)

Mejis
04-14-2015, 12:57 AM
War bot is also the only deck I consistently lose to in arena. He is quite a lot stronger than the other non-boss champs. I almost feel his +1 charge upon dropping an artifact is slightly OP when combined with his ability to consistently have hands full of crackling vortexes.

Having said all that I have beat him on numerous occasions, usually due to rushing him.

My current aggro deck is orc mono ruby, incorporating 3x imp hoodlums with the "steal artifact" equipment, although I've considered switching in some Total Meltdowns as the robot decks in arena seem the only real threat to me deck (war bot ruined an otherwise perfect run on one, Eurig doing the same on another).

Edit: the deck also uses lightning elementals with the flail equipment and Giles as the champ, as mentioned above. Super effective, especially given the AI doesn't seem to understand swiftstrike properly yet, which is both a shame and a blessing. Not the most fun deck to play, but it's an efficient gold-generator ;)

Sparrow
04-14-2015, 01:19 AM
I am running two imp hoodlums, but they only seem to make it into my hand in games where I'm not facing any artifacts. I'm playing a ruby/emerald orc/plant deck that does have direct damage capabilities. I'll see if I can speed it up a bit and also replace two of the troops with more direct damage.

I think the strategy of playing for time and relying on direct damage is perhaps the best idea if not running artifacts. I'll report back on my results.

ev1lb0b
04-14-2015, 01:59 AM
War Bot has really been a thorn in my side and has been the only champion I consistently lose to (consistently, in that I beat him (it?) only once thanks to it (him?) being shard-screwed).

My deck is fun, but I don't run any artifacts so when he wipes the board with his champion power, I lose everything. Not sure of the best way to deal with her (it?). I normally don't buy individual cards, but I'd be willing to if there's some card that could raise my win rate vs. War Bot to a modest 25%. Suggestions?

Honestly, the best solution is to run dwarves/robots and hammer all bosses. I had played several different decks with limited success and was starting to get frustrated as my decks weren't consistent and there were several bosses, War Bot among them that I just lost too. I changed to the popular Dwarves/Robots deck and I fly through Arena now, even beating the cheaty spider most of the time.

There are many decks that work well in Arena but if you want to finish each run quickly and with the least amount of fuss use Dwarves/Robots.

Sparrow
04-14-2015, 02:51 AM
I'll try some stuff after the down time, but honestly, if dwarf/robot is the only archetype that is consistent in this arena, then I'd say they have a design problem with Frost Ring. Just removing War Bot's ability to gain 2 charge with every resource, as someone mentioned earlier, would probably open up the play space.

hex_colin
04-14-2015, 03:16 AM
I'll try some stuff after the down time, but honestly, if dwarf/robot is the only archetype that is consistent in this arena, then I'd say they have a design problem with Frost Ring. Just removing War Bot's ability to gain 2 charge with every resource, as someone mentioned earlier, would probably open up the play space.

Lots of decks are very, very consistent in Arena. Folks shouldn't expect full or perfect clears every time with every deck type. Even the most consistent decks fail to RNG pretty frequently too. There would be design problems if every deck could get perfect most runs.

The challenge with PVE is always going to be "which deck(s) consistently wins most often against the sequence of encounters in a particular dungeon/raid". You won't get to play the same deck for all content, and if you do some pieces will be much harder (or impossible) than others.

Aradon
04-14-2015, 04:11 AM
The best advice for War Bot is to change your play style a little bit to account for his ability. The only real threatening troops in his deck are the Reactor Bots (and the occasional Argus), and you need immediate removal for that one. As soon as Reactor Bot comes down, burn it, Inner Conflict it, whatever you're playing, make sure you have some removal that can deal with a 1/1 troop.

Besides that, most of his troops have 2 toughness. Just play a troop or two, and have him attack into you (he pretty much always attacks) so that you trade with his creature. This way, neither of you have many creatures on the board at a given time. Once he runs out of cards in hand, his ability to gain charge powers is much smaller, giving you time to go on the offensive.

Best advice: trade with his troops very aggressively. He'll run out of steam because most of his cards are terrible.

szimek
04-14-2015, 04:42 AM
If you are playing with Solitary Exile in your deck, using it on your troop turn before War Bot will use his charge skill, should save it from voiding. War Bot's skill will void your Solitary Exile and your troop will come back on the board :P

Mejis
04-14-2015, 05:12 AM
Lots of decks are very, very consistent in Arena. Folks shouldn't expect full or perfect clears every time with every deck type. Even the most consistent decks fail to RNG pretty frequently too. There would be design problems if every deck could get perfect most runs.

The challenge with PVE is always going to be "which deck(s) consistently wins most often against the sequence of encounters in a particular dungeon/raid". You won't get to play the same deck for all content, and if you do some pieces will be much harder (or impossible) than others.

This is very true. It's definitely worth remembering that the arena is a tiny slice of the PvE pie and it's fully expected that specific dungeons will require specific strategies. It just so happens that dwarf/robots are strong here, but they may well be very weak in future content.
Having said that, there are still plenty of viable options. I have a very cheap shin'hare deck that has sailed through and only seems to fall to zoltog on a regular basis, whilst against War Bot is isn't so bad. War bo. Is still a pain, but at least it provides a challenge. I like the strategic advice of trading posted above. Some good discusion in this thread :D

vickrpg
04-14-2015, 07:08 AM
Here's some cards I like to use against him in non-artifact decks that just seem to work.

Blood:
If playing Blood Diamond, Cockatwice is lol. Warbot won't use his power to kill a single troop that isn't very powerful and you can rid him of his army with swiftsrike easily. That said, Lethal weapons and a high def troop works well too (paladin of necropolis with lethal weapons for example) Crackling rot is a star vs Warbot, murder is useless. Extinction works well after he wipes you, you wipe him. Relentless corruption is hilarity with any arena boss, war bot is not exception. I've managed to out-charge him!

Diamond:
Living totem. Don't buff him too much, but if he's at 4 with swiftstrike/lifedrain and the only troop on your side War bot won't use his power. The equipment is amazing too, as if he does wipe your one totem, you just play another one with the same powers. immortality helps a lot with him too if you can't find your totems. Solitary exile as was mentioned earlier is also a great addition to your decl.

Ruby: Imp Hoodlooms + equip. Also Mancubus. Burn spells. or just rush him before power. Ruby can usually handle him pretty easily. I'm also a fan of Plan C.

Sapphire: Mimic. Oh M G, mimic. "But he doesn't have any troops I want!" *smack* mimic your own troops. artifact wrenlocke? Artifact Goremaster if you play red? Artifact root dancer if you play wild? whatever. it works and can be used on most opponent's creatures or your own. Same reason to run Mimebots, but mimic put them into your hand and is more versatile. Replicator's gambit can be equally fun but not as reliable.

Wild: Naturalize is a bit too niche for maindeck in my opinion, but it works on war bot. as does having just one creature out you beat him with. he seems to not use his power if there's less than 5 attack on the board (cost doesn't seem to relevant, as he's used his power to get rid of one of my lone mushrooms that was a 20/20) Try not to rely too much on constants or things that stay on the board a lot. just out Atk him with a single creature. Verdant wyldeboar does a lot of work for warbot too, and even more if you can get one with crackling sprout or wild aura. The escalation card works well too if you can save it for turns he wipes on.

Artifacts:
Any artifact will help vs warbot. I like mixing Artifacts with other cards that no longer need to be on the board after they do their job. A turreted wall that has been inspired by a Cerulean mentalist(or princess V), for example is super fun. Reactor bot and Crackling sprout were made for each other. Jank bot decks are awesome vs War bot, and have an added bonus of being awesome against Xarloth.

BlackRoger
04-14-2015, 07:09 AM
My answer to warbot is wild/ruby
Heatwave kiills almost all of his troups and none of mine.
Most of my troops are also large enough to force him to wipe the board, So if I survive the first 2 wipes I still have enough gas to start putting in the beats.

Doesnt always work, but usually it does.

Hrinkell
04-14-2015, 07:20 AM
I was in the same situation losing consistently to War Bot and Xarlox, so my analysis was something like this:
- What does War Bot do? -> wipe all but artifacts
- How can I avoid/play around it? -> play artifact-based deck
- What does Xarlox do? -> mill and consistently pull Terrorantulas off my library
- How can I avoid/play around it? -> play such huge deck to deny mill strategy and diminish probability for Terrorantulas

What deck meets all these premises? -> Artifact Jank Bot

However, Jank decks are even more exposed to RNG madness. But for me it's sooooo funny... and in the end, that is what this is all about, isn't it?? :D

Vorpal
04-14-2015, 07:27 AM
I would say warbot, nelebrin scout, and xarlox are the consistently toughest opponents.

For warbot, if you aren't running artifacts, only put out one (or possibly two) low cost guys

Then give them swiftstrike. Just massacre his guys (computer doesn't know how to handle swiftstrike most of the time). I didn't have him wipe me with just 2 attack low cost guys with swiftstrike. (either granted by a buff or something like emberspire witch or lightning elemental)

If you are running ruby, and have things like speedy orcs and and gore feast, it's possible to basically one shot him after he wipes the board and you reset. The key is to make sure he doesn't destroy too much when he board wipes. Eventually you should have built up a pretty sizeable hand advantage by killing his robots with your swiftstrikers.

The big danger in this plan is his reactor bots, which can get pumped to truly unreal proportions, so try to remove those with burns or something asap. Also if he finds his droos walker it's bad news for you usually.

Vorpal
04-14-2015, 07:33 AM

There are many consistent decks. dwarves/robots is just the cheapest one.

Also consistency and speed should be somewhat at odds in arena clears. My ruby lightning elemental deck clears way faster than my dwarf deck, but it is very prone to stumbling against war bot and xarlox.

nicosharp
04-14-2015, 07:50 AM
In Sly Huntress we Trust.

IronPheasant
04-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Swarm pump is obviously very hopeless against him.

However, if every single combat troop you play can win the game on its on (and it should, or you shouldn't be playing them), then it's only the equivalent of 2 to 4 pieces of removal. Most of his creatures are weak, excluding his Reactor Bots that will single handedly kill you in three turns. If you yourself have removal, it's not that rough of a fight.

Thunderbird is a prototypical overpowered troop. It needs to attack unblocked only 5 times before an opponent is dead. Forgotten Monarch is of similar if level. Playing big fat green dudes will crush him as well; sure your mana pumps will get wasted, but you'll draw into enough mana eventually.

It's very much a quality check encounter. He plays fair creatures. If you want to beat his fair creatures+his two wipes using creatures, you need to play unfair creatures.

Jemy000
04-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Putting a few artifact troop bombs in your deck can make all the difference with war bot and they generally are useful against other foes too. Ideal candidates are Droos Walker and Warbot Dropship (with boot equip).

Elwinz
04-14-2015, 12:02 PM
reapor bot is awesome ;)

NOBLEStarshield
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
War Bot has really been a thorn in my side

I feel like this was a missed opportunity for "throwing a wrench in your gears or Warbot really grinds your gears."

Fyren
04-14-2015, 01:54 PM
I feel like this was a missed opportunity for "throwing a wrench in your gears or Warbot really grinds your gears."

"War bot really destroys all my humans."

Lafoote
04-14-2015, 04:52 PM
reapor bot is awesome ;)

STILL only have one of those. He's terribly rare for an uncommon.

Xavon
04-14-2015, 05:40 PM
I splashed SPAM Bots in my Diamond deck, just for him. And War Bot Dropships are awesome in just about any deck.

Hrinkell
04-15-2015, 02:51 AM
(...) War Bot Dropships are awesome in just about any deck.

They are for sure... but unfortunately there are other encounters that just won't let you reach 7 shards alive.
Other viable option for humans is Droo's Colossal Walkers inspired with lifedrain and/or steadfast.

Sparrow
04-15-2015, 04:10 AM
So, switched it up and went with... sigh... dwarf/robot. Went 20-0 on my first play through. Ironically I did not face War Bot, though.

I'll play more this week and see if it keeps doing well.

Warrender
04-15-2015, 04:29 AM
So, switched it up and went with... sigh... dwarf/robot. Went 20-0 on my first play through. Ironically I did not face War Bot, though.

I'll play more this week and see if it keeps doing well.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

Vorpal
04-15-2015, 07:35 AM
They are for sure... but unfortunately there are other encounters that just won't let you reach 7 shards alive.
Other viable option for humans is Droo's Colossal Walkers inspired with lifedrain and/or steadfast.

You can splash mindcallers with the robe that reduces cost by 2. And run technical geniuses.

Xenavire
04-15-2015, 07:59 AM
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. ;)

Heh, I have gone 20-0 and 15-0 with many decks, and only played dwarves once, for fun. Definitely strong, but hardly the only option.

People could use my deck, but unsurprisingly almost all the parts are expensive or have expensive equipment. :p

Sparrow
04-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Ha, I know. I had a thought as I wrote it that it wasn't the right metaphor. All I could come up with was rusty nail in my foot, which seemed kind of lame.

Sparrow
04-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Heh, I have gone 20-0 and 15-0 with many decks, and only played dwarves once, for fun. Definitely strong, but hardly the only option.

People could use my deck, but unsurprisingly almost all the parts are expensive or have expensive equipment. :p
That's a good point, I've been trying to beat it on the cheapish end of the spectrum. So, there's probably a lot of flexibility that I just don't have access to right now.

Edit: AND, War Bot is thrown onto the scrap heap of arena history after my dwarf/robot deck hammered away at him and then walked out of the ring unscathed!

Vorpal
04-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Man, the shard screw in arena has been turned up to 11.

So many times I've gotten only 1 shard in 10-12 cards it is unbelievable. Hell, all last THREE of my games were like that.

I've had multiple bosses die without playing a single shard.

When I do get shards, it's something like a hand of all shards but one card. I mulligan and get a hand of no shards.