PDA

View Full Version : Why are there two client downloads? Why are there two websites?

strylght
04-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Since I began playing this game I have been enduring this abysmal Gameforge launcher which won't let me launch Hex without it popping up and showing me a blasted advert for a shitty looking F2P game which I will never play. An advert which insolently demands my attention and my action before it lets me launch the game I pay good money to play.
Four clicks and a load time before I can even click the button to launch Hex, what a drag!
A useless piece of bloat-ware on my PC, how frustrating!
But Hex is my new love, so I shall endure and quietly grind my teeth at the sight of this impertinent launcher and its invasive ads.
Until today. I got the impression while gossiping on General chat that other people don't have to deal with this launcher.
I decide to download the client for hextcg.com, instead of the other site. Lo and behold, no launcher! I click the shortcut and up pops the patcher! I am free of the blasted bloatware! In a flash it is purged from my PC.

So to my questions.
Why is CZE allowing Gameforge to trick some of its players into having to deal with this when it isn't required?
(I assume the answer is because they have no choice)

And, while we're at it, why are there two websites? Does Gameforge require the Gameforge site to exist but CZE doesn't want to give up their own homepage? Do CZE have nothing to do with the whole of the Gameforge site?

It seems like the only real purpose of the Gameforge site is to sell platinum. Why is it all made up to be a kind of homepage for the game when the game already has a homepage?
I assume it is because Gameforge want to supplement their cut of the platinum sales with advertising revenue and trick people into downloading their blasted unnecessary launcher.
Does this seem inappropriate to anyone? Annoying?
Any other opinions about Gameforge in general?

Obviously Hex would not exist without them, so I cannot complain. The main point of this post is to raise awareness and save other new players from having to endure Gameforge's launcher and being required to look at ads before launching Hex, even if they pay for it.

Svenn
04-27-2015, 11:33 AM
There's a GameForge client with ads? Ugh. I agree with you... Why is this even a thing?

Yoss
04-27-2015, 01:43 PM
There's a GameForge client with ads? Ugh. I agree with you... Why is this even a thing?

^

Kami
04-27-2015, 01:52 PM
I wasn't even aware there was another version with ads. o.o

Avaian
04-27-2015, 02:00 PM
I think it is because you are using GameForge's Launcher to get to Hex.

By getting it directly from Hex you are just cutting out the middleman.

Sort of like going to a Farmer's market instead of a Grocery Store.

Zophie
04-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Basically Gameforge has their own launcher software, similar to PWE's ARC, Trion's Glyph, or Blizzard's Battle.net Launcher. Anyone that goes through Gameforge's website to learn about or try Hex is going to end up downloading this launcher to install the client instead of the standard client obtained from Hex directly.

On a related note Gameforge does a lot of things on their own with news updates and such too, duplicating many of the updates we get on the main Hex site. For example, did you know that quite often the Gameforge Hex site gets a copy of the Friday Update earlier than the main site does? I started following all of the gameforge RSS feeds a while back when I learned of this, just to make sure I don't miss anything, or to catch a glimpse at stuff that hasn't made its way to the official Hex site yet.

I don't know if all this is necessarily a bad thing, Gameforge is the publisher for our regions after all, so it's their prerogative how they wanna handle this, but it does seem kind of redundant and might end up being very confusing for customers, not to mention splits our community up a bit. At the end of the day though I don't think it's really that big of an issue, it gets people more playing Hex.

Drake6k
04-27-2015, 02:26 PM
Oh wow, check this out. They even have a website AND forum.
http://en.hex.gameforge.com/#/
http://board.hex.gameforge.com/index.php?page=Index

I feel sorry for those forums... seems like a pointless community divide.
Edit: actually, they have a bunch of international forums that look active enough; interesting.

Phenteo
04-27-2015, 03:25 PM
I just wanted to step in and touch upon the situation.

Gameforge is our business partner and they provide a lot of value to the community. The reason for a different launcher and website is because they are publishing the game in their regions and any publisher for a game would normally do this as they're working to build their community. But we both felt it would be best to keep NA/EU players together in the same pool so that you have more players around the world to interact with and use the auction house with. As they support different languages their community forums are required to give players who don't speak English a place to talk in the official forums.

As far as the ads go, and just like any game company, we need to make money to keep the business going. They use data and analytics to target players who play other Gameforge published games to tell them about HEX as well. You might want to give a shot to the other games you see that they are publishing. Who knows, you might end up liking those other games too.

We love you here and are glad to have you as a part of our community, but our community is a shared one now. Our community being shared provides many benefits and both Gameforge and HEX provide many places for our community to call home.

temporicide
04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Basically Gameforge has their own launcher software, similar to PWE's ARC, Trion's Glyph, or Blizzard's Battle.net Launcher.

That's not really the same thing, though. The Battle.net Launcher (and presumably the other ones you mentioned) also provide auto-update patching functionality and other features, whereas it sounds like you have to click through Gameforge's launcher to reach the normal patcher.

In my mind, Gameforge's launcher is more like SourceForge providing their own installers which include bundled adware (http://blog.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/). It's purely to get more money for Gameforge, without adding any value for players.

I'd like to see a screenshot of this thing, by the way. Is anyone brave enough to go download Hex from Gameforge?

EDIT:

The reason for a different launcher and website is because they are publishing the game in their regions and any publisher for a game would normally do this as they're working to build their community. But we both felt it would be best to keep NA/EU players together in the same pool so that you have more players around the world to interact with and use the auction house with.
So Gameforge is publishing HEX in Europe, but they're just providing the hosting and support for North America (HexEnt is the publisher here)?

Zophie
04-27-2015, 03:33 PM
That's not really the same thing, though. The Battle.net Launcher (and presumably the other ones you mentioned) also provide auto-update patching functionality and other features, whereas it sounds like you have to click through Gameforge's launcher to reach the normal patcher.

In the Battle.net launcher example, sure, but in PWE's ARC launcher you still load a patcher from the launcher, that's probably a better example.

I wouldn't look at it as an adware bundle thing, it's just a game launcher, other companies do it to help give exposure to their range of products. You can't really blame Gameforge for doing this, there's a precedent for this practice and it makes sense why they do it. In the PWE ARC example again, you might install ARC to get Neverwinter, but then you see they have other games available like Path of Exile or Star Trek Online, and the launcher is set up to let you install those from the same launcher if they interest you.

strylght
04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
I just wanted to step in and touch upon the situation.

Gameforge is our business partner and they provide a lot of value to the community. The reason for a different launcher and website is because they are publishing the game in their regions and any publisher for a game would normally do this as they're working to build their community. But we both felt it would be best to keep NA/EU players together in the same pool so that you have more players around the world to interact with and use the auction house with. As they support different languages their community forums are required to give players who don't speak English a place to talk in the official forums.

As far as the ads go, and just like any game company, we need to make money to keep the business going. They use data and analytics to target players who play other Gameforge published games to tell them about HEX as well. You might want to give a shot to the other games you see that they are publishing. Who knows, you might end up liking those other games too.

We love you here and are glad to have you as a part of our community, but our community is a shared one now. Our community being shared provides many benefits and both Gameforge and HEX provide many places for our community to call home.

I wanted to thank you for weighing in and stress that I am not ungrateful for the good Gameforge has done for Hex in their role as a publisher. Nor, indeed, am I ungrateful for the work you and your colleagues have and continue to put into this game.
The non-English fora are a noble and proper reason for the set-up of the Gameforge site and I understand that now.
I suppose also if the Gameforge launcher is advertising Hex to players of their other games, then Hex players having to click through ads is a fair exchange for the possibility of a wider audience.
The problem lies in the fact that, with the knowledge that it is not a requirement, no player would decide to use the launcher over not using it. Hex's players interest lie, naturally, with Hex and choosing not to use the launcher to play Hex has, unless I am mistaken, no negative effect on Hex or CZE. With this in mind, who can blame players if they refuse to use it? The only way to get them to use it and to see the adverts for Gameforge's other games is through deception, through leading them to believe it is their only option. Obviously this is by no means the crime of the century and it is of course Gameforge's prerogative but it does seem a bit... mean.

ossuary
04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
It's not deception, it's simply the default for players who discover the game via GameForge's network - and they have a right to do that, since they're the publisher and they're the ones who did the work to get that player's eyeballs on the screen in the first place. The foreign language players, as well, will tend to end up going through the GameForge launcher, because GameForge provides support for those other languages on their forums. Again, this is right and fair, because they are the ones doing the support.

If, through playing or discussing the game with others, a person learns that they can choose to bypass the GameForge launcher by running the Hex Patcher program directly instead of running the GameForge launcher bundle first, that is a choice the individual players are welcome to make. But it is not underhanded, deceptive, or nefarious to have a default launcher in some regions that is different from the "core" program in the software's primary region - this is an extremely common practice with foreign publishers in many genres of software, video game or otherwise.

Zophie
04-27-2015, 04:08 PM
It's not deception, it's simply the default for players who discover the game via GameForge's network - and they have a right to do that, since they're the publisher and they're the ones who did the work to get that player's eyeballs on the screen in the first place. The foreign language players, as well, will tend to end up going through the GameForge launcher, because GameForge provides support for those other languages on their forums. Again, this is right and fair, because they are the ones doing the support.

If, through playing or discussing the game with others, a person learns that they can choose to bypass the GameForge launcher by running the Hex Patcher program directly instead of running the GameForge launcher bundle first, that is a choice the individual players are welcome to make. But it is not underhanded, deceptive, or nefarious to have a default launcher in some regions that is different from the "core" program in the software's primary region - this is an extremely common practice with foreign publishers in many genres of software, video game or otherwise.

Oss, on point as usual, well said :)

strylght
04-27-2015, 04:14 PM
I would just like to point out that I didn't use the words underhanded or nefarious. Both are words I didn't use because they are far too strong for this situation.

EDIT: I would further like to point out that I didn't discover Hex through the Gameforge network. I just made the mistake of downloading it from the wrong website. Mainly because I wasn't made aware of what I would be downloading.

Zophie
04-27-2015, 04:22 PM
I would just like to point out that I didn't use the words underhanded or nefarious. Both are words I didn't use because they are far too strong for this situation.

Thank you for restraining your use of hyperbole appropriately :)

Personally I think this was a good topic just to remind us that Gameforge is out there doing their part to support the game and get people interested in Hex as well (in their own way). Sometimes we might forget that since we're so entrenched in these forums/this website and don't refer to them much outside of the occasional need to buy plat or submit a ticket, or when we're busy hitting escape past their splash screen on the client, but they're still there supporting our game nonetheless! Thanks strylght :stormcloud:

strylght
04-27-2015, 04:28 PM
I agree with you entirely Zophie.
I also think its a good topic because I couldn't find any other informing people that they don't have to suffer the Gameforge launcher to enjoy Hex. :)

Diesbudt
04-27-2015, 05:03 PM
All I found from this thread is a second set of forums to read through when i have the time :D